Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raikkonen struggles at Ferrari no surprise for Massa

Raikkonen struggles at Ferrari no surprise for Massa

Felipe Massa says he is not surprised Kimi Raikkonen has struggled so much in 2014. The Brazilian is well placed to comment, having partnered both Finn Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso at different times at Ferrari.

Massa's first Ferrari teammate, however, was his friend Michael Schumacher, who the now Williams driver said was "amazing". "Fernando and Michael are on the same level," he told Germany's Auto Bild. "In the race maybe even Fernando sees things more clearly."

However, many pundits expected Raikkonen - Ferrari's last world champion - to give Spaniard Alonso a hard time when he returned in 2014 to replace Massa. But Massa said: "It (Raikkonen's struggle) is no surprise to me. To beat Fernando, your car has to be perfectly suited to your style, because if everything is not 100 per cent right, it is impossible to beat him."

Indeed, Raikkonen has struggled with Maranello's latest F14-T car, but Massa said: "Even if everything is perfect, Fernando is still hard to beat." In 2007, the year Raikkonen won his title, Massa was the occupant of the sister red car. "He finished as world champion," Massa said, "but unfortunately we had an agreement in our team that Monza would decide who is number 1. I was ahead until there, but I had a problem with my car." (GMM)
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

But he didnt crash three times at the same corner?

Quote Originally Posted by sachin View Post

That's a low blow!

This is the full report:

Massa not surprised by Raikkonen's struggle

Felipe Massa says it is no surprise to see Fernando Alonso getting the better of Kimi Raikkonen this year at Ferrari.

Massa has been team-mate to both Ferrari drivers and was replaced by Raikkonen over the winter before heading to Williams. Alonso has had the upper hand so far this year at Ferrari, scoring 61 points to Raikkonen's 17, and Massa says that is exactly what he would have predicted.

"The difference between Fernando and Kimi, for me, is not a surprise - I expected it," he said. "Fernando has built the team around him, but also the way he is driving, he is a very strong driver and he managed to put everything on his side as well."

Massa said Raikkonen's only hope is to be at the top of his game all of the time.

"I think to be better than him you have to be 100% and perfect with the car, and Kimi is maybe not 100% ready and perfect with the car. Fernando has also the team for him, so it's not easy."

However, after running third in Monaco until he was hit by Max Chilton, Raikkonen says Ferrari is working hard on getting better results.

"Obviously we need to improve in many areas and we have done a lot of things in many areas to improve already," he said. "We know what we have to do, but those things will not be easy and it just takes time.

We are going forward all the time, but other teams are doing the same also. We know where the weaknesses are, but if solving those was easy everybody would have fast cars. We need to keep working and I'm sure we can get the results we are supposed to get.

"With the feelings we have now, once we get a good feeling on things I'm sure it will be better and we will get the results. We have to keep fighting and be a bit more lucky in the future."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsp...U9UxcoCDfMJ.99

What is Massa's excuse for scoring 18 points to Bottas's 34 so far in 2014? Even after getting the boot, he is giving us excuses for why Fernando wiped the absolute track with him.

Year 2000: R.I.P Formula 1

Quote Originally Posted by theforce View Post
    This is the full report:

[B]Massa not surprised by Raikkonen's struggle[/B

What is Massa's excuse for scoring 18 points to Bottas's 34 so far in 2014? Even after getting the boot, he is giving us excuses for why Fernando wiped the absolute track with him.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by theforce View Post
    This is the full report:

Massa not surprised by Raikkonen's struggle

yep, simply put. Undisputable facts.

Getting run into by Kobayashi, a 60 second pit stop, and a very ill timed safety car.

At least 20 points there left on the table.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Quote Originally Posted by NickEice View Post
    Getting run into by Kobayashi, a 60 second pit stop, and a very ill timed safety car.

Your are totally right NickEice Sadly, it seems like some people here at TSN get every opportunity to bash Massa, but I still can't get why
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

Felipe should concentrate on his own stuff really. Comments like that come off as sour grapes.

Today he had this to say about his move to Williams:
    “It was absolutely the right move,”. “Looking back now, I am even glad that Ferrari did not want me because it opened the way for coming to Williams.”

Oh Felipe, just don't...

I have the utmost respect for him, but these comments he's making about Ferrari and Ferrari's drivers are getting rather annoying indeed. I can understand that he's still bitter and hurt because Ferrari chose to hire Kimi, but such comments are really coming off as nothing more than sour grapes. It's time to let it go Felipe, remember all the good times you had at Ferrari and please just mind your own business at Williams, and instead of throwing these jibes at Ferrari concentrate on beating Bottas, cause by the looks of things it's not going to be easy.
    Last edited by Nero Horse; 29th May 2014 at 16:17.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

And how else should he answer the question "Was it the right move to join Williams?"

The journalists that cover F1 are pathetic. I can't think of any sport in America that has journalists that make up these stories and misleading headlines. Perhaps it's a European thing. The headlines they construct are often not the true meaning of the drivers words.

I tend not to read/believe anything unless I hear the audio from the drivers mouth.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Agreed, there's only one way for Massa to answer that question, which is to speak highly of his current team. He can't exactly say it blows driving for Williams, he's going to get reprimanded by the team.

Whatever Felipe comes out with will usually be taken out of context and he is being quite honest in his views, I don't sense bitterness but he probably did do the right thing moving to Williams for his own motivation. The fact that he has less points than Bottas is due to 2 non-points finishes through no fault of his own.

Interesting about the deal within the team at Monza 07 never knew that, not quite sure why his words have gotten people all angry but I guess old habits die hard.
    Forza Ferrari

Kimi throws in the towel...

“We [Ferrari] want to be ahead, but my challenge on the championship seems to be over for the season,” added Raikkone

LINK>>Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen admits 2014 F1 title chance ‘seems to be over’

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEice View Post

Getting taken out during qualifying in Monaco didn't help either. I'm convinced that half of the people who question his competence compared to Bottas's haven't even been watching this season.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by sachin View Post
    I'm sure it's his fault that his suspension broke too.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Getting taken out during qualifying in Monaco didn't help either. I'm convinced that half of the people who question his competence compared to Bottas's haven't even been watching this season.
    Because unfortunately people can't seem to stop themselves from tearing Massa to shreds, whether he drives for Ferrari or not.
    He is perfectly entitled to his honest opinion on Ferrari and quite honestly I agree with what he said about Williams being the right place for him now.
    Forza Jules

let's not get side tracked, both our driver's are more than capable of winning world championships, so let's give them our 100% support.

Like I said, I have the utmost respect for Massa, just like I do for every other Ferrari driver and I certainly don't want to "tear Massa to shreds", but I just have a problem with these comments that he's making about Ferrari and Ferrari's current drivers. I think he should just mind his own business at Williams and let the bygones be bygones. Oh and I also don't question Massa's competence compared to Bottas, in case some were thinking that...all I said was that "he should concentrate on beating Bottas, because it's not going to be easy" and that certainly doesn't mean that I'm questioning Felipe's competence. I have always liked Felipe and I still do, and I supported him 100% when he was a Ferrari driver, but I just think that he shouldn't make such comments and insinuations about Ferrari or Ferrari's current drivers, that's not a very nice thing to do, especially considering how many years Ferrari stood by him during his most difficult times. Anyway, these are just my opinions and my intention is not to ruffle any feathers here lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    Like I said, I have the utmost respect for Massa, just like I do for every other Ferrari driver and I certainly don't want to "tear Massa to shreds", but I just have a problem with these comments that he's making about Ferrari and Ferrari's current drivers. I think he should just mind his own business at Williams and let the bygones be bygones. Oh and I also don't question Massa's competence compared to Bottas, in case some were thinking that...all I said was that "he should concentrate on beating Bottas, because it's not going to be easy" and that certainly doesn't mean that I'm questioning Felipe's competence. I have always liked Felipe and I still do, and I supported him 100% when he was a Ferrari driver, but I just think that he shouldn't make such comments and insinuations about Ferrari or Ferrari's current drivers, that's not a very nice thing to do, especially considering how many years Ferrari stood by him during his most difficult times. Anyway, these are just my opinions and my intention is not to ruffle any feathers here lol.
    Trouble is they can't just mind their own business & keep their mouths shut, that's not the way it works & reporters keep after them until they finally say something that can be twisted or taken out of context. Felipe's such an honest straightforward guy & I sense no animosity towards Ferrari in the things he has said.
    Often, the path you want to go down the least turns out to be quite another journey than you expected. As the saying goes, it's a "new lease on life" & I hope it leads Felipe to some good success, even if only over Bottas.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Interesting about the deal within the team at Monza 07 never knew that
    That is actually the most remarkable part of the article, everything else is just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Because unfortunately people can't seem to stop themselves from tearing Massa to shreds, whether he drives for Ferrari or not.
    He is perfectly entitled to his honest opinion on Ferrari and quite honestly I agree with what he said about Williams being the right place for him now.
    Well I guess it has to be the right place for him as Ferrari only has 2 cars. But he is starting to sound a little like Barrichello with some of his comments.. now if it's the media that is misinterpreting his comments then that could be another matter, but his answer about moving to Williams does not need to include negativity towards his old team. He could be gracious to Ferrari and answer that although he enjoyed his time with Ferrari, he's now focusing 100% on his new team. And I think Ferrari are owed a little bit of gratitude for what they did for Felipe. Without his Ferrari history, he might be reflecting on how much he likes his Marrusia or Caterham rather than his Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Well I guess it has to be the right place for him as Ferrari only has 2 cars. But he is starting to sound a little like Barrichello with some of his comments.. now if it's the media that is misinterpreting his comments then that could be another matter, but his answer about moving to Williams does not need to include negativity towards his old team. He could be gracious to Ferrari and answer that although he enjoyed his time with Ferrari, he's now focusing 100% on his new team. And I think Ferrari are owed a little bit of gratitude for what they did for Felipe. Without his Ferrari history, he might be reflecting on how much he likes his Marrusia or Caterham rather than his Williams.
    THIS^^

Completely agree.

Without his Ferrari history, he might be reflecting on how much he likes his Marrusia or Caterham rather than his Williams.
    Or be chasing Montoya around in circles!

Who here can honestly say that they supported all Ferrari drivers when with the team? Rubens was hated with a capital H here when with" team orders" Ferrari. Venom spewed on a daily basis. Who here hated MS when he joined up with Merc? He was no lomger with Ferrari but you'd never guess it here. Massa got his head split open driving for Ferrari. The little bit of gratitude Ferrari gave him was a boot in the ass. Williams took Massa on because of his driving ability and F1 experience, not because he was with Ferrari. What's the boy supposed to do in an interview, say Ferrari who? Dumping Massa was the answer, look where we are! Not even Kimi can help us so far. IMO S Dom got out before he got kiked out Massa style and managed to save face. He helped bring us to an all time low, not Massa. Freedom of speech should be acknowledged world wide. I wish only the best for Massa after all he did for us. And I wish a better set of wheels for Kimi ASAP. When Ferrari gives Alonso a pole setting car he will win every race. He is the best we ever had.

+1. Thank you Felipe for all the years of service, we really like & respect you but please do not become like Rubens.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by abbottcostello View Post
    Trouble is they can't just mind their own business & keep their mouths shut, that's not the way it works & reporters keep after them until they finally say something that can be twisted or taken out of context. Felipe's such an honest straightforward guy & I sense no animosity towards Ferrari in the things he has said.
    Often, the path you want to go down the least turns out to be quite another journey than you expected. As the saying goes, it's a "new lease on life" & I hope it leads Felipe to some good success, even if only over Bottas.

Exactly. It's not like Felipe went and sought out a reporter to say this, he was asked a question and answered it.

Quote Originally Posted by anacleto View Post
    Rubens was hated with a capital H here when with" team orders" Ferrari.
    How do you know what happened here then since you have only been a member since April of this year?

And how do you think Massa got his Ferrari drive? He got a Ferrari seat because he had the talent to fulfill Ferrari's need, and he did so for so many years. You don't get to be a Ferrari driver through lucky draw or money. What you call a Ferrari history is really his talent speaking for itself.

Anyway all he's saying is that the closing of Ferrari's door on him had opened up another better opportunity for him. Don't understand why people get twisted about it, because it is the truth. Being at Williams is a better position for him as he no longer has to be under Alonso's shadow and play the supporting role in the team. He's now free to do the best for himself and get the recognition he deserve before he retires.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    +1. Thank you Felipe for all the years of service, we really like & respect you but please do not become like Rubens.
    Your wish has already come true, unlike Rubens at Ferrari, Massa has refused team orders at Williams. Rubens loyalty while with Ferrari will never be found again.