Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FIA restricts team radio transmissions

FIA restricts team radio transmissions

Just read this article. See it on

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...transmissions/

Was wondering what this actually means?
    Does it mean a team can no longer tell the driver to for example - take it easy, you need to conserve fuel. Or they cannot say you are slower in sector 2 to your teammate, or you are braking too early into turn 2.. etc.,
    Or does it put a total clamp on all 'information'.. like rosberg is having tyre trouble, push Fernando, you can win this race.

Plus it adds in the end that there cant be any data transmission from pit to car. what kind of data?
    Silently, like a shadow

How is the drivers supposed to know if they should protect the engine, or they can use the overtake button. The drivers can't possibly "feel" these things. Strange move IMO. These technical information are crucial because of how complex the car is today.

Maybe they will just have to encode their information in talks about the weather

Some drivers like Rosberg are not going to like this at all.

Our drivers on the other hand hardly talk to their engineers.
    Silently, like a shadow

This would have been a real disaster if Rob Smedley was still Felipe's race engineer It was always great to hear these two!
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

I think this is a good change.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

kinder garden ...
    and for the rest of allowed talks FIA should think about a code book that all teams find the same specific wording ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

I agree with this, some drivers like Massa get a lot of coaching, and the back and forth between Merc drivers is embarrasing.

I have noticed the information from the Merc pit this season are extremely specific. like, "Lewis, Nico is 0.02 sec faster in turn 3." or "Nico, Lewis is braking 15 meters sooner than you in turn 7." It makes it look like the driver is some sort of robot that needs guidance from the pit in order to maximize performance. Of course, I also wonder how valuable some of this "guidance" is.

But where do they draw the line? Can the pit tell the driver to "Go to purple 6." or, "Your rear brakes are too hot, please cool them." If you take Whiting's comments literally, the answer is, no. Even, "You are gaining 0.11 seconds per lap." would be banned. So about all that can be said is, "Box this lap", or "Rain in 10 minutes."

The easiest way to have the affect that Whitting and the regulations want, would be to eliminate all telemetry from the car to the team during the race. Without that data there can be no extraordinary information passed to the driver from the team. Once the race begins, the car would be the driver's hands. Strategy about when to pit and which tires to use when can still be determined by the team but how to bias the brakes or how much fuel to use or how to set the diff would be up to the driver. But that level of skill might require more experience than your typical 16 year old who crashes cars during Dutch street shows possesses. F1 should not be the kindergarten of motorsport.

I like it...Back to the old days??? Like not that long ago. Arent the supposedly best drivers in
    the world supposed to know how to drive the supposedly fastest cars in the world?
    Lets take some of the electric hybrid crap off these race cars n let the drivers "feel" how to race again.
    Its no wonder some of the older drivers are considered the best. They remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I like it...Back to the old days??? Like not that long ago. Arent the supposedly best drivers in
    the world supposed to know how to drive the supposedly fastest cars in the world?
    Lets take some of the electric hybrid crap off these race cars n let the drivers "feel" how to race again.
    Its no wonder some of the older drivers are considered the best. They remember.
    I like it. Drivers are suppose to build their own strategy in their head.

Bring back the "raw" racing....

There's only one message that driver should receive from the team - when to pit. That could be done via some kind of button on a wheel. IMO radio transmissions should be muted. Let driver decide what's the best for the car and what's the best for the current situation on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by hogo View Post
    There's only one message that driver should receive from the team - when to pit. That could be done via some kind of button on a wheel. IMO radio transmissions should be muted. Let driver decide what's the best for the car and what's the best for the current situation on the track.
    and ban all other Gismos in the actual cars
    how should a driver of now consider all the facts due to the complexity of a car of the generation of 2014 ... ??? ... but then FIA starts wind up the horse from behind ... first reduce complexity of the cars and then think about this ... Anyone of you know how much Schumi talked to Brawn/Todt and vice versa?
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

Reliability is part of the radio communication. Not only that, fuel consumption is also part of it, and you can get disqualified for that.

If you take that away, driver's will have to be more conservative, or they might break the car or breach the fuel limit.

Would people rather trade that away than to have radio chatter which the FIA should not have broadcast in the first place? People don't moan about radio chatter back then simply because no one hears it. Today we let the fans hear it and what do people do? Use it against the drivers and complain about it.

No more team orders?
    I assume they can discuss tires health for pit strategy, probably the drivers can see a light in the wheel telling them they are using too much gas?, motor is going to explode, is ok let it explode like used to happen before.

Who you think guys are the drivers who will loss more?
    For me:
    - Vettel
    - Rosberg
    - sutil
    - Gutierrez
    - Maldonado

Jenson?
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Another idiotic rule. How does banning/restricting radio transmission improve anything?

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Another idiotic rule. How does banning/restricting radio transmission improve anything?
    It means the myth that F1 drivers are the best in the world will explode, because it will put more emphasis on their ability to understand the car and the limits of performance. The driver who can wring the max performance out of the car without 6 engineers telling him what to do will prevail because he is a better driver. Alonso can do that. Kimi wants to be left alone. But Maldonado, and a few other drivers who are not in the top 1,000 drivers in the world need, to be told how to adjust brake bias and how hard to press on the pedals.

Let the engineers put the best car they can under a driver and then let's see who the best drivers are.

(Whiting explained)…a regulation that states drivers "must drive the car alone and unaided"…………….
    "In order to ensure that the requirements of Article 20.1 of the F1 Sporting Regulations is respected at all times we intend to rigorously enforce this regulation with immediate effect. Therefore no radio conversation from pit to driver may include any information that is related to the performance of the car or driver,"

I’ve been cross for ages at the constant stream of information between pit lane and driver.
    I believe that this interchange of info. has weighed too heavily on the strengths of the car with the effect that the WDC is, to my mind, not representative of the best driver of the year, nor has it been for years. I don’t know why we have a WDC frankly.

I think it’s also led to a degree of disrespect for the drivers, not just in the car but out of it too; pawns in the inter-team rivalry and even their own careers.

I’m sure Charlie will be besieged with questions from team managers regarding exchanges of information that affect safety, not just to their own car but to others; fuel management, tyre degradation and favourite of all, team orders!!
    Clearly we can’t ignore that communications and all other aspect of the F1 car’s development have happened over decades and I really don’t envy Charlie Whiting and the stewards in their job of sorting out what is and isn’t an
    infringement of Article 20. but, we may at last get driver and team world champions without the condescending rubbish of double points at random races supposedly to keep the fans happy! Perhaps.

“To lose one team manager, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness. “

I dont recall this being an issue until in one of the race weekend when Nico Rosberg asked for advice over the radio. Sky and other media have been thumping on the issue since, and of course the fans got on board and some started bashing Nico.

It was unfair to Nico because he just used different words that day than the other drivers. Lewis and other drivers have constantly been asking about where they can improve, and no one made any issue out of it. Unfortunately Nico that day used the term "driving advice please" and it became an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
    It means the myth that F1 drivers are the best in the world will explode, because it will put more emphasis on their ability to understand the car and the limits of performance. The driver who can wring the max performance out of the car without 6 engineers telling him what to do will prevail because he is a better driver. Alonso can do that. Kimi wants to be left alone. But Maldonado, and a few other drivers who are not in the top 1,000 drivers in the world need, to be told how to adjust brake bias and how hard to press on the pedals.

Let the engineers put the best car they can under a driver and then let's see who the best drivers are.
    And how is telling a F1 driver that his brakes are overheating or he is losing time in some corenrs helping him drive? He still has to execute the order/pit wall suggestion.

Today's F1 cars are the most complex racing cars in the world, a F1 steering wheel have 35 or more buttons on it and the driver has to manage brake pressure/temp, fuel, tyres and tons of other unknown stuffs throughout the whole race. But with this new rule, the driver can't know if his race pace is good enough to make the strategy work or where he is losing time. Stupid.

And without doubt F1 drivers are the best in the world.

My point on this is simple...Theres a line in the movie Rush where Marlene asks Niki
    how he knows the car does this or that, needs this or that, to which he responds "my Ass"..

Mabey the cars are simply so complex that drivers cant feel the car underneath them anymore.
    Mabey theres so much crap on the car that the drivers arent able to feel whats going on with the car.
    Mabey all of this technology has made the race cars numb, unfeeling and like driving around a
    toaster instead of an actual race car..
    Mabey the spec tires are so oblivious to the drivers, that they can only tell when theyre flat..

The more the fia steps into the series, the more artificial it has become. Are the drivers now
    as good as the drivers of the 70's, 80's, 90's?
    Drivers r now asked to manage a race instead of race a race. Im for putting the cars back in the drivers hands,
    go to a simpler formula which showcases driver ability. N Im not asking to get rid of technology,
    lets simply find a way to make the racing better. Could be the only way to do that is to take a step back.
    To move forward, we must go backwards.

A rather strange rule for a teamsport.

makes the whole team drama more difficult.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

I like this, alot. I know its good to know "data", but its taking alot of the "feel" the driver must have with the car. The things that annoy me is driver- "what sector am i loosing time? where can i improve" engineer-" T2 loosing time, dont overlap brake pedel and throttle, blah blah

A driver should know and feel where he can make time or loose time.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

So this rule will be applied from next race?
    I really don't know what to think of this, the cars are much more complex than they were before, drivers need to watch out for so many things, and got so many things to do on the steering wheel and now they need to look for all data on the display also?
    I think some of the complexity of the car need to get rid off in order this rule to work properly.
    Last edited by Stormy; 11th September 2014 at 20:51.

I'd be least interested on this topic if I was Kimi & slightly concerned if Vettel or Rosberg

Granted its only once a lap, but will Charlie be down censoring what messages the teams show their drivers on their pit lane message boards?

Not that I'm opposed to the idea of limited radio chatter, but I still feel like, as usual, its a bit of a half baked scheme by the FIA... For example in the link above...

"Q: Are warnings about the condition of the brakes or tyres (slow puncture) still allowed?
    FIA: No, this should be displayed to the driver from data gathered onboard, again like a fuel gauge."

Now if I were a race engineer and my driver says "I'm coming in next lap I think I have a puncture" and I reply (knowing from the telemetry there is no puncture) "Pit lane not ready, will advise when ready" then in a lap or two ask if they still want to come in, since by now they will or should now realize there is no puncture, is that in contradiction to the rules?
    Last edited by mm154; 12th September 2014 at 03:16.

So the FIA wants the driver to have a nuclear reactor control panel on the steering wheel with tons of information to read while driving?

Talk about distracting the drivers from racing.

It is known that some drivers will suffer.but. Is it good or bad for fernando and kimi??????
    Hell would have broken loose