Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Jules Bianchi updates and well wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Why can't you?

That's like saying you can't put a buffer on metal armco to reduce the impact. That's exactly what TECPRO barriers do.

Why does your car have a crumple zone? To reduce the impact when you have a crash. If they can stop the car going underneath recovery vehicles then they are 99% of the way to solving the problem.
    A skirt on all such vehicles would be very effective and relatively cheap to implement. What's more it would have had very beneficial effect here. Instead of going under the back of the tractor, Jules's car would have been more deflected to the right.

Just checked the F1 site on flags and here's what it says about the green - "Green flag -
    All clear. The driver has passed the potential danger point and prohibitions imposed by yellow flags have been lifted. "

The green was definitely not "passed" the danger point IMO. But I still do take your point and maybe I don't get this well enough.

Why can't you?

That's like saying you can't put a buffer on metal armco to reduce the impact. That's exactly what TECPRO barriers do.

Why does your car have a crumple zone? To reduce the impact when you have a crash. If they can stop the car going underneath recovery vehicles then they are 99% of the way to solving the problem.
    Adding crumple zones to heavy machinery like that is counter productive. Unless they do it as an add on for only track side equipment, because I am sure Caterpillar, Komatsu, Hyundai, and so on are not about to stat adding sheet metal to the outside of their equipment. How long do you think that will last on a construction site.

This will have to be an aftermarket add on, and at that point, who knows if it will work, who will test it? who will certify it? Plus, the crumple zone in my car is designed to soften the impact on my body by increasing the time my body takes to slow down - reducing the g-force on me, not the object that hits me. It works the same way the breakaway carbon parts on the F1 car that are attached to the tub work.

Adding material to the lower area of the equipment to prevent a car from going under it will lessen the equipment's ability to maneuver making it less effective.

These knee jerk reactions are completely counterproductive, IE the UK handgun ban ;)

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Adding crumple zones to heavy machinery like that is counter productive. Unless they do it as an add on for only track side equipment, because I am sure Caterpillar, Komatsu, Hyundai, and so on are not about to stat adding sheet metal to the outside of their equipment. How long do you think that will last on a construction site.

This will have to be an aftermarket add on, and at that point, who knows if it will work, who will test it? who will certify it? Plus, the crumple zone in my car is designed to soften the impact on my body by increasing the time my body takes to slow down - reducing the g-force on me, not the object that hits me. It works the same way the breakaway carbon parts on the F1 car that are attached to the tub work.

Adding material to the lower area of the equipment to prevent a car from going under it will lessen the equipment's ability to maneuver making it less effective.

These knee jerk reactions are completely counterproductive, IE the UK handgun ban ;)
    Of course they will be F1 specific changes. Certified by new tests put in place by the FIA. It's a simple solution in my opinion that would work.

A knee-jerk reaction would be to put canopies on the cars. Mine is just a sensible reaction to aid in preventing an incident like this in the future.

Of course they will be F1 specific changes. Certified by new tests put in place by the FIA. It's a simple solution in my opinion that would work.

A knee-jerk reaction would be to put canopies on the cars. Mine is just a sensible reaction to aid in preventing an incident like this in the future.
    agree with Ste, wouldn't be expensive to implement the changes and could save drivers from accidents in the future however few and far between they may be
    Interviewer: “The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?”
    Kimi: “It protects my head.”

Excuse my very crude mockup, but I believe something similar to this could work quite well. Low cost, simple and I'd have thought, fairly easy to implement. This is just an idea, so don't shoot me!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ste; 6th October 2014 at 16:15.

Excuse my very crude mockup, but I believe something similar to this could work quite well. Low cost, simple and I'd have thought, fairly easy to implement. This is just an idea, so don't shoot me!http://i59.tinypic.com/315hfa1.png

I see what you getting at.......but still, ask yourself this question,......why introduce that when what you really want to do is take the crane out of harms way..........so in a nutshell........i go back to my initial suggestion, Just get the Safety Car out as soon as there's an accident........even if it slows the race rights and all the bells and whistles that goes with F1. After all.....its all about safety ?
    Drive it like you stole it!

Jacques Villeneuve actually had a fairly simple solution to this, as soon as a crane is out to remove a car, the race should go under the safety car... that would cause cars to go a lot slower and avoid this situation...

Another simple solution is to actually have cranes tall enough to remain behind the barriers while operating... although this would still put safety workers at risk and would increase costs as those types of cranes are not cheap...

Did the truck operator escape injury? The impact was quite violent....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Another solution a friend was discussing with me is:

Split the track into 12 sections and just force it to be 60mph by pressing the pit-limiter.

If there's an accident in Sector 5 then sectors 3-4-5-6-7 become yellow flag zones. Sectors 4-5-6 become pit limiter zones. At the point of crossing sector 4 the car will automatically go into pit limiter speed by cutting out the throttle. Cars all pass in relative similar spacings all the way through and the driver releases the button at sector 6 line OR when a green flag/dash light appears.

No need for a safety car because the cars are at an even slower pace. People don't loose their leads as much. And the new regulations for safety car standing start will be used less.

They do that in Le Mans etc
    Forza Ferrari

cherry picker.jpg
    Cost not that much more than equipment they were using, remains behind barrier.

Rain + any crash should trigger SC, no thought process, get it out there.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Why is know one asking the question of why the race started so late in the day with the sunset at 5,30 pm, the race started at 3 pm local time in very poor conditions, then the idiots running the sport started the race behind the safety car for a few laps, then Red Flagged the race. Very clever on there part because now the 2 hour race is now in operation. Circuit organizers told the FIA the race could start at 11, am, to give the race a much bigger window to run the race in a better and safer way but of course Bernie would never allow that.

Quote Originally Posted by mirafiori View Post
    Why is know one asking the question of why the race started so late in the day with the sunset at 5,30 pm, the race started at 3 pm local time in very poor conditions, then the idiots running the sport started the race behind the safety car for a few laps, then Red Flagged the race. Very clever on there part because now the 2 hour race is now in operation. Circuit organizers told the FIA the race could start at 11, am, to give the race a much bigger window to run the race in a better and safer way but of course Bernie would never allow that.
    The race organizers are to blame. Just like @ Sepang, they start too late and when it rains at Malaysia, it floods.

Very dangerous!

Its all about the Benjamin!

The promoters are willing to risk safety in order to bring more money in.

I didn't want to see the crash video but relented and wish I hadn't....it's utterly horrific and his survival will be a miracle. God help us.

Excuse my very crude mockup, but I believe something similar to this could work quite well. Low cost, simple and I'd have thought, fairly easy to implement. This is just an idea, so don't shoot me!http://i57.tinypic.com/24owspf.png
    Good idea, recovery vehicles should be made in such manner. Its safer both for the drivers and the person manning the crane as well.

Someone should send this to FIA.

Quote Originally Posted by abbottcostello View Post
    cherry picker.jpg
    Cost not that much more than equipment they were using, remains behind barrier.

Rain + any crash should trigger SC, no thought process, get it out there.
    Agree, they took too long to deploy SC.

Thousands of viewers were calling for SC once the crane moved into position to recover Sutil's stricken vehicle.

This could have been avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by mirafiori View Post
    You have got it wrong, the FIA offered to change the start time of the race and the organisers (Honda) refused. So maybe check before trying to blame the FIA.
    Forza Ferrari

Anyone has got any news on Jules. My lead has gone cold.

Very anxious just to know that he is stabile.

Will keep praying....

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Anyone has got any news on Jules. My lead has gone cold.

Very anxious just to know that he is stabile.

Will keep praying....
    considering the time is now in Japan I don't expect many news for the next hours
    Last official statement was by FIA-spokesman Matteo Bonciani (based on the will of Jules parents) ... thats what we have here in AUT: stable but very critical
    an official statement of the doctors is still not available up to now ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

BBC reported him in critical, but stable condition. Lets all continue to hope he makes a complete recovery.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29503730

Disappointed Since 2010

Having seen the video, wow that is horrible he is lucky to still be in with a chance even without the JCB there that was going to be a massive accident for him.
    Forza Ferrari

It looked horrifying, the way the tractor was lifted and pushed to the side by the impact. To move something that heavy, the impact is unimaginable.

The scariest thing is that we all know what just a spring did to Felipe...

Disappointed Since 2010

I have no desire to see that video. Maybe if the outcome for Jules is positive I will, purely to understand what the hell happened. Until then even the thought of it makes me feel sick, and I'm not a squeamish person.
    Forza Jules

After watching the video is just a miracle Jules is still alive, i hope and pray for the best.

A really good solution for the Heavy equipment could be something like the one who was used in Silverstone i think?, the Huge Arm could reach the cars from outside the barrier, that will be much less dangerous to everyone. Still, Rain and a crash always should be a SC launched.

just my opinion,

Forza Jules
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Thanks for the updates. My thoughts are with him and his family right now. Like you all I pray for a positive outcome and news soon.
    "The flowers of victory live in many vases" Michael Schumacher 7 times World Champion

How did he survive that? He should have been killed instantly... It's amazing how safe F1 cars are nowadays. I hope he will fully recover.
    Last edited by Rob; 6th October 2014 at 20:25.

Wow, unbelievable. This looks much more worse than Felipe & Kubica's crashes. If he survived that, I'm sure the gods looking after him will pull him through this. Forza Jules

As a mother my thoughts are with poor Jules' parents.
    This is the news that no parent wants to hear, ever.
    I'm not religious so I can't pray, but I hope and hope that all will be well for them and poor Jules.