Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 2015 WEC/ELMS&TUSC news.

WORLD CHAMPIONS GO RING RACING
    Monday 24 August 2015

World Champions TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will make the short journey south to participate in the fourth round of the World Endurance Championship, the Six Hours of Nürburgring.

With 90km separating TOYOTA Motorsport GmbH in Cologne from the Nürburgring, TOYOTA has the shortest journey of all LMP1 manufacturers to the first WEC race in Germany since 1991, when the series was called the World Sportscar Championship.

This weekend’s race marks a return to race action for the TS040 HYBRIDs after a 10-week break since the Le Mans 24 Hours, when TOYOTA finished sixth and eighth.

World Champions Anthony Davidson and Sébastien Buemi partner Kazuki Nakajima in the #1 aiming for a second podium finish of the season. The #2 line-up of Alex Wurz, Stéphane Sarrazin and Mike Conway are looking for their first top-three of the year.

TOYOTA prepared for the race with a two-day test at the Nürburgring in July, which gave the team a chance to evaluate set-up and tyre choice while allowing drivers Anthony, Sébastien and Alex to reacquaint themselves with the track.

Previously known as the Nürburgring 1,000km, the race has a rich history, beginning in 1953. The Nordschleife lay-out was used until 1984 and an endurance prototype still holds the outright lap record around the daunting 20km track, known as the ‘Green Hell’.

This weekend’s race will take place on the shorter Grand Prix lay-out which features 17 turns over its 5.148km and is relatively narrow, making it challenging for LMP1 drivers to cope with the slower LMP2 and GT cars.

Despite being a new addition to the WEC calendar, all TOYOTA drivers have race experience of the Eifel circuit, which is a regular on the schedules of junior championships as well as Formula 1.

The track action will begin on Friday with two 90-minute practice sessions (12.00 & 16.30), with practice concluding on Saturday morning (09.30-10.30) prior to qualifying (14.30-14.50). The race begins at 13.00 on Sunday.

Toshio Sato, Team President: “It’s great to be back at the race track after the summer break. We have recovered from the challenge of Le Mans and we are ready to race again, particularly as this weekend is a home race for us; our second home race next to Fuji Speedway. Our factory, as well as TOYOTA’s German headquarters, is very close to the Nürburgring so I hope for a lot of support to give us even more motivation. We will be pushing hard to be part of an exciting race and to challenge Audi and Porsche. It will be difficult, that is clear, but we will do everything we can to compete. Our test at the Nürburgring went well so I think we are well prepared. This is the start of the second half of the WEC season so we want it to be a positive weekend for us.”

Anthony Davidson (TS040 HYBRID #1): “I’m happy to go back to the Nürburgring as I haven’t raced there since 2007 and it’s a track I really enjoy. It will be great to drive the TS040 HYBRID for the first time at such a traditional track and after Le Mans it will be a completely different experience as it is much tighter. It’s one of the old, classic circuits which most of the drivers know pretty well, but it’s also a tricky track. It’s always nice to go to these tracks with a proper atmosphere and with fans who have a lot of knowledge about the cars and the championship. Just because we haven’t raced there before doesn’t mean that German fans are not interested in WEC so I am looking forward to seeing great support.”

Sébastien Buemi (TS040 HYBRID #1): “I’m really looking forward to going to the Nürburgring. It’s a great circuit and I’ve been there many times with Formula 3 and Formula 1. It’s not an easy track and it’s going to be amazing to drive the LMP1 there. It will be nice to race in front of the German fans; I’m sure it’s going to be a big event. The only thing I’m a bit concerned about is the weather to be honest as it is really special in the Eifel. I remember being there one time in May and we couldn’t test because of the snow! I am sure we will not have snow this weekend but you never know what the weather will bring at the Nürburgring.”

Kazuki Nakajima (TS040 HYBRID #1): “I’m happy to be driving the TS040 HYBRID again after a long break. I took the chance to rest and recover my energy, but I have also been busy with Super Formula and I finished second in Fuji a few weeks ago. It was nice to be on the podium again and I hope I can be there again, along with Anthony and Sébastien, on Sunday. It will not be easy but it’s a new track for WEC so maybe that will provide some opportunities. Even if it’s new to the series, I know Nürburgring really well from Formula 3 and GP2. One thing which will be very different compared to single-seaters is the other categories; Nürburgring is not the widest track so this could be an interesting challenge.”

Alex Wurz (TS040 HYBRID #2): “I lived in Nürburg for two years when I was a teenager driving in Formula Ford and Formula 3. I was only around 200 metres away from the start-finish straight, so I know the area well and it will be nice to go back. I always had good times at the Nürburgring, where I won several races. It’s great to be racing an LMP1 car because sports cars have a big tradition at the Nürburgring with the 1000km races. We are looking forward to our second home race as we expect a lot of employees from TMG to visit. They will see the TS040 HYBRID in race action and experience what they are working every day for; I’m sure that will be pretty cool.”

Stéphane Sarrazin (TS040 HYBRID #2): “The last time I drove an LMP1 at the Nürburgring was in 2007 and 2008 and I won both races. So I have really good memories with an LMP1 car; I like the Nürburgring and I’m happy to see it on the calendar again. Even though most of the WEC drivers know it well, it is actually totally different in an LMP1 car compared to a single-seater or GT. It’s a nice challenge and I’m looking forward to it. I think the track suits our car pretty well, but we will see; I don’t know what to expect to be honest. The first part of the season was really difficult for us so we need to keep fighting and push hard to be back on the podium.”

Mike Conway (TS040 HYBRID #2): “I think it’s great that we’re going to race in Germany now, as three of the four LMP1 manufacturers are based there. It’s definitely nice for the fans to have so many home teams to follow and I’m looking forward to showing what an LMP1 car can do at the Nürburgring. It’s a good track and grip-wise I think it will be quite good for our car. The team got some good information from the test last month so it will be interesting to see how the race weekend evolves. Hopefully the fans will enjoy it and it will be the start of a long, successful time for WEC at the Nürburgring.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    Twin turbo V6... ugh. Will be sad to lose the only naturally aspirated engine in the formula. Hopefully it won't sound as bad as an Audi. A third car at Le Mans would be useful too. Will be hoping for a much better showing next season.
    Toyota, i know they have not, but with the progress of both Audi and Porsche this looks like they have stood still this year. Moving to the 8MJ class, i think you have to go with smaller engine size to due weight. I can not 100% remember. `3rd car would help at Le-Mans, well be better odds. But do recall on radiolemans midweek motorsports radio show months ago, speaking to someone form Toyota. They said, hope they will have the budget to have 3 cars, but that isnt there at the moment. As Toyota heading back to WRC.

WHAT’S NEW ON THE TECHNICAL FRONT AHEAD OF 6 HOURS OF NÜRBURGRING?

27/08/2015 - 09h26

Following the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the most recent round of the WEC, the technical departments of the FIA and ACO have made several adjustments to the regulations with fair competition between marques as always being the overriding aim.

We take a brief look at what has been changed for the remaining 6-hour races:

LMGTE

After a review of the opening races in the season, various alterations to the Balance of Performance in the GTE classes have been announced. The Aston Martin Vantage V8s in both the LMGTE Pro and Am classes have a 0.5mm air restrictor size reduction, while the Porsche 911 RSRs have been given a 10kg weight decrease in LMGTE Pro and a drop of 15kg in the Am category.

The Corvette C7R entered by Larbre Competition in the GTE Am class is awarded a fuel capacity increase of 5 litres and a larger refuelling restrictor, while the Ferrari F458 Italias in that same class will have to run with an added 15kg of weight.

LMP1 tyre allocations

With Nürburgring being a new track for 2015, the number of slick (dry weather) tyres available for use by LMP1 competitors has been amended, with teams being given two additional sets for use during qualifying and the 6-hour race.

Free Practice Sessions: 16 (4 sets)

Qualifying + Race: 32 (8 sets)

Single tyre at any time: 2

LMP1 fuel

Following Le Mans, the FIA Endurance Committee confirmed the Equivalence of Technology (EoT) table for the remainder of the 2015 season and the first part of next year, up to and including the 2016 24 Hours of Le Mans. The EoT governs the amount of fuel that is allowed to flow to the engine, and differs according to fuel type (petrol or diesel) and the MegaJoule (MJ) class that cars run in.

For the diesel-powered Audi, the adjustment allows an additional 0.5kg/h of fuel flow and a 0.5 litre reduction in fuel tank capacity (down from 54.2 to 53.7 litres).

Porsche and Toyota will see notable cuts, up to 2.2 percent in energy (MJ/lap) and 1.6 percent in maximum petrol fuel flow (kg/h), depending on the hybrid sub-class.

The maximum fuel flow for the 8MJ-powered Porsche 919 Hybrid has been reduced from 88.5 to 87.0 kg/h, per lap of Le Mans, while the Toyota TS040 HYBRID, which competes in the 6 MJ category, faces a smaller reduction from 89.5 to 88.5.

Fuel capacity has been reduced across the board, with petrol-powered hybrids having been reduced from 68.3 to 67.4 litres, and diesels from 54.2 to 53.7 litres.

The privateer LMP1 entries – Rebellion Racing and Team ByKolles – also receive a boost. Fuel flow for the non-hybrid cars is increased by more than 5% from 100.9kg/h to 106.5kg/h. In addition, the maximum fuel capacity has been significantly increased from 68.3 litres to 75 litres with the aim of closing the gap between the manufacturer and privateer competitors.

Tequila Patrón ESM Geared-up for Germany

Riviera Beach, Fla., – Aug. 27, 2015 – Tequila Patrón ESM returns to its familiar Patrón green and black-livered Ligier J2 P2 race machines this weekend for the inaugural 6 Hours of Nürburgring, the fourth round of the FIA World Endurance Championship (FIA WEC).

Following two top-10 finishes at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June, Tequila Patrón ESM drivers Scott Sharp, Ed Brown, Johannes van Overbeek, Ryan Dalziel, Jon Fogarty, and David Heinemeier Hansson are ready to attack the German circuit.

In its debut season in the WEC, Tequila Patrón ESM has experienced plenty of firsts, including competing on most of the international circuits for the first time. But this weekend’s race is new for more than just the Tequila Patrón ESM team; this race is the first FIA WEC event in Germany since the series inception in 2012. Famous in its own right, the Nürburgring is host to Formula One and the 24 Hours of Nürburgring.

Tequila Patrón ESM drivers logged their first laps at the 3.199-mile (5.148-kilometer), 16-turn German facility in July. Since that test, the drivers have been mentally driving the circuit and physically preparing for the demanding race.

Feeling optimistic about the venue, the team is also more confident in the Ligier JS P2 Honda-powered machines. In 2015, Tequila Patrón ESM is the only sports car team that has competed with two different chassis in the WEC. Now in its third race with the Ligier JS P2 chassis, the team is targeting its first podium finish of the season.

Tequila Patrón ESM on Track
    Friday’s two free practice sessions start at noon and 4:30 p.m. Central European Time (6 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. ET.)

Saturday’s on-track activity includes the hour-long practice session starting at 9:30 a.m. CET/3:30 a.m. ET.

LMP2 qualifying begins at 2:30 p.m. CET/8:30 a.m. ET on Saturday.

Green flag for the 6 Hours of Nürburgring takes place at 1 p.m. CET/7 a.m. ET on Sunday.

Where to Watch
    The 6 Hours of Nürburgring will be televised globally and on the FOX Sports Network of channels.

For U.S. viewers, the 6 Hours of Nürburgring will air on Sunday, August 30:
    7-10 a.m. ET — FOX Sports 2
    10 a.m.-1 p.m. ET — FOX Sports 1

The race can be viewed via the FIA WEC second screen app or online at www.fiawec.com.

To listen to the 6 Hours of Nürburgring, tune into Radio Le Mans at www.radiolemans.com.
    ####
    To download a PDF version of this press release, click here.
    SCOTT SHARP

“The entire Tequila Patrón ESM team is super excited to resume our season and get the chance to race at the historic and legendary Nürburgring circuit! We had a strong test there last month and have continued to learn the Ligier chassis.

“The circuit is incredible. It offers a wide combination of high- and low-speed sections, hard braking, multiple elevation changes and many passing spots.

“This is the first time Tequila Patrón ESM enters a WEC race weekend feeling completely prepared and on a level playing field with the other P2 competitors. We’re back to our black and Patrón green colors of Tequila Patrón, in the second most popular tequila market in world - there isn't a better place to go for two podiums!”
    ED BROWNblack

“We are really looking forward to get back racing after the break. It has been a while and we’re ready to get back into the Tequila Patrón Ligier-Hondas. We feel very good about the cars after we tested in Germany last month.”
    RYAN DALZIEL

“It has been way too long since we raced our Ligier-Honda coupes, but even more so in the Tequila Patrón colors, so I think we are all anxious to shake off the rust and get back to work.

“We had a really good couple days testing at Nürburgring and I have to say the track is awesome. Traffic will be interesting because many parts of the track are pretty narrow, so hopefully some patience on their side so we can get through unscathed.

“This is the first track in our 2015 WEC campaign that we got to test on before the race. We really felt back at Le Mans that we needed to hit the reset button post-Le Mans and start our season off in Germany. Of the five tracks remaining on the schedule we have tested or raced at three of them, so it’s ‘go team’ for Tequila Patrón ESM.”
    JOHANNES VAN OVERBEEK

“I’m expecting Nürburgring to be a good event for Tequila Patrón ESM. We’ve completed two races with the Ligier and are beginning to understand its likes and dislikes. We also had the opportunity to test at Nürburgring, which was helpful for driver and engineer alike.

“Learning a track for the first time during a race weekend is never an ideal recipe for success. Not having to learn the track this race will only help our chances of success. Ed, Jon and I really enjoyed the layout and left the test feeling comfortable with the track and what is needed to go quick there. The break has been nice but I can’t wait to get behind the wheel of the Patrón Ligier-Honda in race conditions.”
    JON FOGARTY

“It’s great that be back at the races, the summer break was something I was not used to having. It’s good to be starting the second half of the season with a track where we’ve tested. I won’t say I know the circuit like I do any of my home tracks in North America, but it's more familiar to me than any of the other tracks we will go to this year.

“Le Mans was a tough event, but the team brought both cars to the checkered flag, so we logged a lot of seat time and did a ton of pit stops, all of things we haven't had the opportunity to work on this year with the different cars. I’m getting more comfortable with the Ligier, and of course we’re all more at home with the Patrón green and black livery. I’m looking forward to great race.”

LMGTE

After a review of the opening races in the season, various alterations to the Balance of Performance in the GTE classes have been announced. The Aston Martin Vantage V8s in both the LMGTE Pro and Am classes have a 0.5mm air restrictor size reduction, while the Porsche 911 RSRs have been given a 10kg weight decrease in :::LMGTE Pro and a drop of 15kg in the Am category.

The Corvette C7R entered by Larbre Competition in the GTE Am class is awarded a fuel capacity increase of 5 litres and a larger refuelling restrictor, while the Ferrari F458 Italias in that same class will have to run with an added 15kg of weight.:::

This is from a post..I dont understand the thinking here..its not like Ferrari have been killing this year..if anything, we've been getting it handed to us, yet we get a weight penalty???? Im confused..Didnt the Porsche team just do a 1 2?? I dont care what anyone says, it looks like its stacked against us. Vette, Aston AND Porsche are already faster than us.

I must admit I'm bewildered and somewhat mystified by the level of micro management that goes on with WEC regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    LMGTE

After a review of the opening races in the season, various alterations to the Balance of Performance in the GTE classes have been announced. The Aston Martin Vantage V8s in both the LMGTE Pro and Am classes have a 0.5mm air restrictor size reduction, while the Porsche 911 RSRs have been given a 10kg weight decrease in :::LMGTE Pro and a drop of 15kg in the Am category.

The Corvette C7R entered by Larbre Competition in the GTE Am class is awarded a fuel capacity increase of 5 litres and a larger refuelling restrictor, while the Ferrari F458 Italias in that same class will have to run with an added 15kg of weight.:::

This is from a post..I dont understand the thinking here..its not like Ferrari have been killing this year..if anything, we've been getting it handed to us, yet we get a weight penalty???? Im confused..Didnt the Porsche team just do a 1 2?? I dont care what anyone says, it looks like its stacked against us. Vette, Aston AND Porsche are already faster than us.

The Porsche 1-2 was in tudor. This is for WEC and we have very very quick car. The Astons get reduction because they been quicker. Over a lap. Look at oast couple races in WEC. Astons run off but we reel them in later in race.

Don't think the weight should effect us to.much.

New positive results in the FIA WEC: the target for the AF Corse Ferrari 458’s

August 26th, 2015 – With quite some first places in hand, the AF Corse Ferrari 458’s Italia are ready forthe “6 Hours of Nuerburgring”, round 4 in the FIA World Endurance Championship, scheduled for Sunday,August 30th.

The reigning world champions in GT category, Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander, are first in the GT Drivers Cup with 61 points in the Ferrari 458 Italia #51. Second spot in the GT Drivers Cup standing for the teammates Davide Rigon and James Calado in the Ferrari 458 Italia #71 (57 points).

In GTE Am category, François Perrodo, Emmanuel Collard and Rui Aguas are second in the Drivers standing thanks to 66 points, less than 14 from the top. The fast driver trio shares the Ferrari 458 Italia #83.
    Ferrari is leading the GT Manufactures standing with 144 points (Porsche second, 99).

AF Corse is firmly in the first position among the GTE Pro teams and second in the GTE Am.

The start of the “6 Hours of Nuerburgring” will be at 13 (local Hours), Sunday, August 30th.

AF Corse Press Office - Riccardo Delfant

ADVANTAGE AUDI IN FP1 AT 6 HOURS OF NURBURGRING

28/08/2015 - 13h54

A damp but drying Nurburgring track awaited the entrants for the fourth round of the 2015 WEC as they took part in the first of two 90-minute Free Practice sessions, the first after the long summer break.

With the track conditions and temperatures improving lap by lap, it was the No.7 Audi R18 etron quattro that emerged fastest, with Andre Lotterer setting a best of 1m39.201. The time was good enough for P1 despite the best efforts of Neel Jani in the No.18 Porsche 919 Hybrid who got within 0.076s of Lotterer’s ultimate quickest tour.

It was Audi/Porsche for third and fourth with the No.8 Audi just 0.005s ahead of the No.17 Porsche 919 Hybrid! With the top four covered by just 0.7s, FP1 was a mouth-watering start to what looks set to be a classic all-German fight for supremacy in the 6 Hours of Nurburgring on Sunday.

Toyota Racing completed the session in fifth and sixth with the No.2 Toyota Racing heading the reigning champion No.1 TS 040 HYBRID. Stephane Sarrazin and Sebastein Buemi set the times respectively.

Rebellion Racing was the lead LMP1 privateer with Nick Heidfeld setting a time of 1m47.433s at his home circuit in the Rebellion R-One-AER.

G-Drive Racing secured a 1-2 in LMP2 with the No.26 Ligier-Nissan heading the No.28 sister car. Gustavo Yacaman set the time of 1m46.631s which was almost a second clear of his stablemate Sam Bird’s time. The No.26 car however was confined to the pits for the first half of the session.

In LMGTE Pro it was reigning champions AF Corse who sat atop the times with Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander leading the way with a best of 1m55.661s, set by Bruni.

The LMGTE Am class also saw AF Corse at the top with the No.83 Ferrari 458 Italia quickest on a 1m57.876s. Rui Aguas set the fastest lap as the team aims to continue its fine start to the season which has so far netted them a podium position in every race.

The 90-minute session was briefly halted to recover the ByKolles Racing entry after Simon Trummer spun at the final corner.

The second Free Practice session will begin at 16.30 local time.

Pit notes from FP1

2015-08-28 13:34:44;In GTE Am #83 Ferrari fastest from #98 Aston and #88 Porsche;;;

2015-08-28 13:33:43;In GTE Pro #51 Ferrari fastest from #71 Ferrari and #92 Porsche;;;

2015-08-28 13:32:43;In P2 #28 Ligier fastest from #26 Ligier and #42 Gibson;;;

2015-08-28 13:31:40;In P1 Audi #7 fastest from Porsche #18 and Audi #8;;;

2015-08-28 13:30:17;Chequered Flag;;;

2015-08-28 13:29:21;1:46.631 now for Yucaman in Ligier #28;;;

2015-08-28 13:27:44;1:47.679 fastest in P2 for Yacaman in #28 Ligier ;;;

2015-08-28 13:26:32;1:55.661 for Bruni in Ferrari #51 fastest in GTE Pro;;;

2015-08-28 13:25:35;1:47.857 for Yacaman now;;;

2015-08-28 13:24:41;1:48.023 for Yacaman in #28 Ligier fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 13:20:28;1:56.035 fastest in GTE Pro for Rigon in #71;;;

2015-08-28 13:19:37;1:57.876 fastest in GTE Am for Aguas in Ferrari #83;;;

2015-08-28 13:14:18;1:58.093 fastest for Lamy in #98 Aston fastest in GTE Am;;;

2015-08-28 13:13:15;1:49.490 for Panciatici now;;;

2015-08-28 13:12:44;1:50.084 fastest for Panciatici in #36 Alpine fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 13:11:52;1:59.958 fastest in GTE Am for #88 Porsche of Bamber;;;

2015-08-28 13:10:30;1:57.252 for Pilet in #92 Porsche fastest In GTE Pro;;;

2015-08-28 13:08:45;1:39.201 fastest for Lotterer in Audi #7 fastest overall;;;

2015-08-28 13:07:47;1:50.788 for Panciatici in #36 Alpine fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 13:02:43;Green Flag;;;

2015-08-28 12:58:03;CLM #4 stopped at turn 17 - RED FLAG;;;

2015-08-28 12:57:22;2:05.793 for Poulsen in #50 Corvette fastest in GTE Am;;;

2015-08-28 12:56:20;1:51.847 for Panciatici in #36 Alpine;;;

2015-08-28 12:55:05;1:54.029 for Panciatici in #36 Alpine fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 12:51:01;1:54.436 fastest for Gonzalez in #28 Ligier fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 12:48:56;2:04.057 fastest in GTE Pro for Calado in Ferrari #71;;;

2015-08-28 12:47:49;1:41.301 now fastest for Webber in Porsche #17;;;

2015-08-28 12:45:44;All cars seen on track except #26 Ligier #43 Morgan and #91 Porsche;;;

2015-08-28 12:43:05;1:55.095 for Kane in Gibson #42 fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 12:39:29;1:41.853 for Webber in Porsche #17 fastest overall;;;

2015-08-28 12:38:15;2:04.950 fastest in GTE Pro for Vilander in Ferrari #51;;;

2015-08-28 12:36:35;1:57.192 for Kane in Gibson #42 fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 12:35:50;1:42.766 for Webber in Porsche #17 now fastest;;;

2015-08-28 12:34:53;1:58.810 for Kane in #42 Gibson fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 12:33:42;1:44.306 for Fassler in Audi #7 now fastest;;;

2015-08-28 12:28:46;1:46.148 now fastest for Fassler in Audi #7;;;

2015-08-28 12:26:44;2:06.721 fastest for Long in Porsche #77;;;

2015-08-28 12:25:50;1:48.311 now fastest for di Grassi in Audi #8;;;

2015-08-28 12:24:54;2:01.879 fastest in P2 for Capillaire in #36 Alpine;;;

2015-08-28 12:23:53;1:48.759 for Webber in Porsche #17 now fastest;;;

2015-08-28 12:22:11;Porsche #88 stopped @ Turn 9;;;

2015-08-28 12:19:16;2:07.329 fastest in GTE Am for Bertolini in #72 Ferrari;;;

2015-08-28 12:18:13;2:06.343 fastest in GTE Pro for Rigon in #71 Ferrari;;;

2015-08-28 12:17:21;2:06.868 for Rigon in #71 fastest in GTE Pro 2:07.821 fastest in GTE Am for Ruberti in Corvette #50;;;

2015-08-28 12:14:41;1:49.515 fastest for Webber in Porsche #17;;;

2015-08-28 12:14:00;2:09.182 fastest in GTE Am for Bertolini in Ferrari #72;;;

2015-08-28 12:12:46;2:02.414 for Chatin in #36 Alpine fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 12:11:01;2:09.131 fastest in GTE Pro for Vilander in Ferrari #51;;;

2015-08-28 12:08:39;Chatin in #36 Alpine fastest in P2 with 2:04.203;;;

2015-08-28 12:07:41;Fassler in Audi #7 sets 1:50.003;;;

2015-08-28 12:06:05;Davidson in Toyota #1 sets 1:51.676;;;

2015-08-28 12:04:16;Davidson in Toyota #1 sets 2:11.177;;;

2015-08-28 12:00:02;Green Flag;;;

2015-08-28 11:59:34;Wet track;;;

2015-08-28 11:55:59;Track temperature is 16C Air temp 13C;;;

2015-08-28 11:54:53;Free Practice 1 starts in 5 minutes;;;

2015-08-28 11:18:31;The #43 Morand Morgan is not currently at the circuit;;;

2015-08-28 10:57:29;Earl Bamber replaces Klaus Bachler in Proton Porsche #88;;;

2015-08-28 10:56:52;Late driver change Archie Hamilton replaces Zoel Amberg in #43 Morand Morgan;;;

0.070 SEPARATE TOP THREE IN FP2!

28/08/2015 - 18h35

Improved track and ambient conditions ensured the lap times tumbled in the second Free Practice at Nürburgring this afternoon.

Sunshine welcomed the 31 entries for the second of three practice sessions on the challenging track set deep in the Eifel mountains.

Audi once again led the way by claiming the top position from Porsche by just 0.059s. Benoit Treluyer set a 1m37.862 in the final minutes of the session to execute a perfect recovery from a difficult start when the Frenchman stopped at turn one after running wide in to the gravel.

The No.17 Porsche 919 Hybrid was just shaded by the Audi R18 etron quattro, after claiming a best time of 1m37.921s. Set by Mark Webber, who won his first Grand Prix here in 2009, the time initially looked to be the perfect reply to Audi’s first session performance. That was, until Treluyer’s superb late effort. The closeness of the two LMP1 rivals in FP2 indicates another further titanic battle between the German manufacturers will rage on Sunday afternoon.

The second of the Porsche 919’s was just 0.011s behind its sister car, with Neel Jani setting the time earlier in the session. The Swiss, who shares the No.18 car with Marc Lieb and Romain Dumas set a succession of rapid laps in the aero revised Porsche 919 Hybrid.

The No.8 Audi R18 etron quattro driven by Loic Duval, Oliver Jarvis and Lucas Di Grassi claimed fourth fastest in the 90-minute session. However, it ended badly when Di Grassi was involved in an incident at the final corner and damaged the rear of the Audi.

The two Toyota TS 040 HYBRID LMP1 cars mirrored their first session positions of fifth and sixth. The 2014 champions will be racing to a home crowd as well this weekend as the Toyota Racing operation is based close by in Cologne.

The No.12 Rebellion Racing R-One-AER cars led the privateer LMP1 field, but were split for a time by the ByKolles CLM P1/01. However, the No.13 Rebellion eventually displaced the Austrian entered LMP1 late in the session, when Alexander Imperatori usurped it.

G-Drive Racing again claimed a 1-2 in the LMP2 class, but this time the No.26 Ligier-Nissan turned the tables on the No.28 car which had led the class in FP1 earlier in the day.

Sam Bird, who shares the car with Roman Rusinov and Julien Canal, continued to showcase his considerable talent by setting a succession of fast laps, peaking with a 1m46.299 to head the class by a huge 1.6s.

Third in LMP2 and continuing its good start to a renewed WEC LMP2 campaign in the hands of Strakka Racing was the Gibson 015S. Jonny Kane set the lap, a 1m47.978s.

Aston Martin led the LMGTE Pro class with the No.99 Aston Martin Vantage V8 peaking on a 1m54.869, set by Richie Stanaway. The Spa winners led the No.51 AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia which had set the FP1 benchmark earlier today.

A slender 0.6s covered the first four cars in class, with the No.97 and No.95 Aston Martins third and fourth respectively.

In LMGTE Am the Le Mans winning SMP Racing Ferrari squad topped the timing screens with Victor Shaytar claiming a best lap of 1m56.238s. This was 0.5s faster than the No.98 Aston Martin of Paul Dalla Lana, Pedro Lamy and Mathias Lauda, with the experienced Lamy setting its best time.

The third and final Free Practice session takes place on Saturday morning at 09.30.

Pit Notes from FP2

2015-08-28 18:04:17;FP3 starts at 09.30 tomorrow;;;

2015-08-28 18:03:52;In GTE Am Ferrari #72 fastest from #98 Aston and #50 Corvette;;;

2015-08-28 18:02:48;In GTE Pro Aston #99 fastest from Ferrari #51 and Aston #97;;;

2015-08-28 18:01:55;In LMP2 Ligier #26 fastest from #28 Ligier and #42 Gibson;;;

2015-08-28 18:00:47;In LMP1 Audi #7 fastest from Porsche's #17 and #18;;;

2015-08-28 18:00:04;Chequered Flag;;;

2015-08-28 17:58:06;Faster time for Treluyer in Audi #7 with 1:37.862;;;

2015-08-28 17:53:24;1:56.238 for Shaytar in #72 Ferrari fastest in GTE Am;;;

2015-08-28 17:52:17;Ligier #31 has stopped and then rejoins;;;

2015-08-28 17:51:26;Yellow flag at turn 14;;;

2015-08-28 17:45:30;15 minutes remain in FP2;;;

2015-08-28 17:44:28;1:46.299 for Bird in #26 Ligier now fastest in P2 - All fastest class times now better than FP1;;;

2015-08-28 17:42:57;1:46.929 now for Bird in #26 Ligier fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 17:41:53;1:56.729 from Lamy in Aston #98 noe fastest in GTE Am;;;

2015-08-28 17:40:45;1:47.221 for Bird in #26 Ligier fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 17:38:34;Webber in Porsche #17 goes fastest with 1:37.921;;;

2015-08-28 17:37:38;Fastest non-hybrid times in FP1 1:47.433 for Rebellion #12 and so far in FP2 1:44.105 for same car;;;

2015-08-28 17:33:05;Ferrari #72 still fastest in GTE Am from Corvette #50;;;

2015-08-28 17:32:24;Aston #99 still fastest in GTE Pro from #51 Ferrari;;;

2015-08-28 17:31:29;G-Drive Ligier's #26 and #28 fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 17:30:39;30 minutes left of FP2 - Porsche's still first and second in LMP1;;;

2015-08-28 17:21:14;CLM #4 given black and white flag for track limit violation;;;

2015-08-28 17:16:49;Oreca #47 given black and white flag for track limits violation;;;

2015-08-28 17:08:32;Audi #7 which had earlier problem still in pits and has only completed 5 laps in FP2;;;

2015-08-28 17:05:53;1:56.833 fastest in GTE Am for #72 Ferrari of Bertolini;;;

2015-08-28 17:01:52;Aston's #99 #97 and #95 fill first 3 places in GTE Pro after 30 minutes of FP2;;;

2015-08-28 17:00:05;Porsche's 1st and 2nd after 30 minutes of FP2;;;

2015-08-28 16:58:31;Track temp now 19c;;;

2015-08-28 16:54:35;All cars have now been out in FP2;;;

2015-08-28 16:53:38;1:57.041 for Ruberti in Corvette #50 fastest un GTE Am;;;

2015-08-28 16:52:17;1:37.932 now for Jani in #18 Porsche;;;

2015-08-28 16:51:39;1:38.146 for Jani in Porsche #18 now fastest;;;

2015-08-28 16:50:41;1:47.415 for Bird in #26 Ligier;;;

2015-08-28 16:49:32;1:57.297 for Long in Porsche #77 fastest in GTE Am;;;

2015-08-28 16:48:46;Stanaway fastest in GTE Pro in Aston #99 with 1:54.869;;;

2015-08-28 16:47:15;1:38.422 fastest now for Hartley in Porsche #17 faster than FP1;;;

2015-08-28 16:43:01;Slow zone now over and Audi #7 going again;;;

2015-08-28 16:41:48;1:57.501 for Collard in Ferrari #83 fastest in GTE Am - faster than FP1;;;

2015-08-28 16:40:37;1:55.546 for Sorensen in Aston #95 fastest in GTE Pro - faster time than FP1;;;

2015-08-28 16:39:29;Slow zone from start/finish to turn 2;;;

2015-08-28 16:38:57;Audi #7 stopped at turn 1;;;

2015-08-28 16:38:24;1:47.969 for Bird in #26 Ligier fastest in P2;;;

2015-08-28 16:36:45;1:39.528 for Jarvis in Audi #8;;;

2015-08-28 16:32:12;First sighting of the #43 Morand Morgan on track today;;;

2015-08-28 16:30:14;Green Flag;;;

2015-08-28 16:03:36;Free Practice 2 starts at 16.30;;;

TOYOTA GAZOO RACING GETS GOING AT NÜRBURGRING
    Friday 28 August 2015

World Champions TOYOTA GAZOO Racing got the Six Hours of Nürburgring under way today with the first practice sessions for the fourth round of the World Endurance Championship.

After a two-month break since the Le Mans 24 Hours, the team made the 90km journey south to the Nürburgring to resume its season with the final European race of the year.

In line with previous races, the TS040 HYBRIDs face a performance deficit at the Nürburgring compared to their LMP1 manufacturer rivals and this was reflected in the first two practice sessions.

Anthony Davidson, Sébastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima ended both of the two sessions in sixth in the #1 TS040 HYBRID. Alex Wurz, Stéphane Sarrazin and Mike Conway, in the #2, were fifth in both.

Action at Nürburgring started on a wet, cold track following rain late in the morning with air temperatures of only around 13°C. But soon after the green light, the rain eased and both cars were able to try out the Michelin hybrid intermediate tyres.

TOYOTA hosted a two-day test session at the Nürburgring last month, with Alex, Anthony and Sébastien sharing one car, so today’s first practice was the first chance for the other three drivers to experience the TS040 HYBRID on this track.

As well as reacquainting Stéphane, Mike and Kazuki with the specific demands of the Nürburgring, practice also allowed the team to analyse set-up changes made since the test days and begin fine-tuning the cars for Sunday’s race.

Improving track conditions also presented an opportunity to study the changeover point from intermediate to dry tyres and, aside from a brief red flag, the session finished with no dramas and the two TS040 HYBRIDs completed a combined 318km.

Despite heavy clouds, second practice was dry and the two cars ran through their programme, adding another 421km as preparations intensified. Practice concludes on Saturday morning (09.30-10.30) prior to qualifying (14.30-14.50). The race begins at 13.00 on Sunday.

TS040 HYBRID #1 (Anthony Davidson, Sébastien Buemi, Kazuki Nakajima)
    Free practice 1: 6th (1min 42.541secs), 35 laps
    Free practice 2: 6th (1min 40.845secs), 48 laps

Anthony Davidson: “Today I experienced all types of weather conditions which meant I ran on all four of the different Michelin tyres; wet, damp and the two options of slicks. So I got a good read on the car at least and Kazuki put together a nice long run, so we got to see how the tyres were over a stint. We gathered good information and I enjoyed driving the car. In terms of pace, there is no surprise that we’re not really able to challenge apart from in full wet conditions.”

Sébastien Buemi: “We tested here a few weeks ago and collected a lot of data to help us find the right set-up. Today we continued that work to prepare in the best way for the race. We know this weekend will be difficult for us in terms of performance but we will be pushing hard and trying to take any opportunity for a good result. We will do the best we can as always; it will be very hard to fight for the win but our target is to be on the podium here, especially as it is one of the team’s two home races.”

Kazuki Nakajima: “I didn’t drive in the test so the first target was to learn the track because it is my first time here for a few years. It is different driving an LMP1 compared to the single-seaters I have driven here before. I remember the rhythm of the track and I could use some of my memories to get up to speed quickly. Today our task was to optimise the car set-up and balance. It was also interesting to see the tyres after the long run; that gives us useful information for the race.”

TS040 HYBRID #2 (Alex Wurz, Stéphane Sarrazin, Mike Conway)
    Free practice 1: 5th (1min 41.812secs), 27 laps
    Free practice 2: 5th (1min 40.612secs), 34 laps

Alex Wurz: “Thanks to the Eifel gods for having a dry session this afternoon because I tested in the wet and this morning was also wet for my stint too. The track is very cool to drive in the dry with these cars; it is a lot of fun behind the wheel. It is difficult in terms of finding the correct balance, with some very long corners and a mix of high and low speed corners. That keeps us sharp as we try to find the best compromise on set-up. I am somehow happy; the car was neutral and I could have some fun.”

Stéphane Sarrazin: “This is a track I enjoy and I actually won the last time LMP1s raced here. It was a normal practice day for us and everything went okay. We did some long runs to help us prepare for the race and set-up the car. In general I have a good feeling but we’re just not fast enough compared to the leading cars. We did a good job today to be ready for the race and we will try to improve the car tomorrow. We will definitely fight and keep pushing to get the best result possible.”

Mike Conway: “It’s nice to be back at the Nürburgring; I haven’t raced here for a few years. Practice went reasonably well, especially in terms of the car balance, which we are fairly happy with. We need to make a few more adjustments and then we’re alright for qualifying; that will be the task in FP3 tomorrow. We are a little bit away from the competition but we keep pushing to get as much out of the car as we can. We will work on all the data overnight and do what we can.”

Porsche confirms LMP1 program through 2018

FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) and 24-Hours of Le Mans

Atlanta. Porsche continues racing into the future with the 919 Hybrid: The board of Porsche AG has decided to extend the Le Mans prototype program until the end of the 2018 season. With its ground-breaking concept – a downsized turbo engine and powerful energy recovery systems, combined with an extreme lightweight design – the racing car with approximately 1000 combined horespower serves as a research laboratory for future sports car technology.

Matthias Mueller, Chairman of the Executive Board of Porsche AG, explained, “Motorsport is an important part of Porsche’s brand identity – but not an end in itself. Racing must help the technology of future road going sports cars. It was the revolutionary efficiency regulations that convinced us to return to top-level motorsport for the 2014 season. That we have managed to take the crown jewel of endurance racing in only our second year, with a one-two result in Le Mans in 2015 with our highly innovative and complex 919, is an outstanding testimony to the people in the Weissach research and development center. The overall competition bears fruit and we see further potential for future synergy between the racing and road car programs. This is why we have extended the program.”

For class one Le Mans prototypes (LMP1) entered by manufacturers, the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) regulations stipulate hybrid systems and limit the amount of energy (fuel and electricity) available per lap.

Wolfgang Hatz, Member of the Executive Board, Research and Development, underlined this stating, “Porsche sets benchmarks in the WEC. The two-liter V4-cylinder turbo charged petrol engine with a performance of over 500 hp is the most efficient combustion engine we have built so far. Our energy recovery systems are the most powerful ones on the entire grid. Up until now no other manufacturer is able to provide eight megajoules of electric power for the distance of one lap in Le Mans. It is easy to detect that the challenge provided by the sport pushes our engineers to extreme performances.”

Fritz Enzinger, Vice President LMP1, added: “Back in 2012 we began in Weissach with a handful of people, literally a white sheet of paper, high expectations and a strong amount of courage. I’m very proud of this team of 230 employees and I’m pleased for each of them that from now on we can plan securely for three more world championship seasons and Le Mans entries.”

###

downloaded the Porsche logo attached to the press release. Cannt believe how big it is.

Onroak Automotive Press Release – 28.08.2015

The Ligier JS P3 will join the GT Tour in 2016

The Ligier JS P3 is already eligible for the European Le Mans Series, the Asian Le Mans Series and the VdeV Endurance Series, and next season it will also be accepted in the FFSA GT Tour.

In 2016, the new FFSA French Prototypes Championship will join the FFSA French GT Championship. The LM P3s will share the track with the GTs as is already the case in many endurance series.

This championship has been eagerly awaited by many people involved in sports prototypes for several years; it will award a national title for drivers provided there are 10 LM P3s. The teams may consist of two or three drivers depending on their categorisation.
    At the end of the first year Onroak Automotive will give the French Prototype Championship winners a test in a Ligier JS P2, the constructor’s LM P2 chassis, provided they clinch the title at the wheel of a Ligier JS P3.

To celebrate the creation of the FFSA French Prototypes Championship, Onroak Automotive will display a Ligier JS P3 on Friday 28th and Saturday 29th August in the Magny-Cours paddock at the GT Tour. Christophe Profit, the Ligier JS P3 sales manager, will be on hand to answer questions from entrants.

This weekend will be a particularly moving one at Magny-Cours. It was the stronghold of Guy Ligier, one of the great figures in motor sport and founder of the eponymous make, who died last Sunday.

Olivier Loisy, GT Tour general manager: “The arrival of the FFSA French Prototypes Championship marks a new stage for the GT Tour and top-level circuit racing in France. One the one hand, it meets the expectations of drivers whether they are youngsters who are more and more turning their hand to endurance in their quest to become professional racing drivers, or more generally speaking lovers of racing who will have the opportunity of driving a Le Mans prototype in France. On the other, it corresponds to the desire of teams to reorient their programme as the LM P3s are the first step on the sports prototype ladder. The involvement of constructors like Ligier already shows the interest that this new national championship is arousing.”

Jacques Nicolet, Onroak Automotive president: “The LM P3 category created by the Automobile Club de l’Ouest is already meeting with considerable success. The creation of the FFSA French Prototypes Championship open to LM P3s in such a hotly-contested event as the GT Tour, is an excellent opportunity for numerous teams and drivers to move up to sports prototypes while competing in a national series. With our Ligier JS P3 we’re offering a product whose quality-price-performance ratio is particularly attractive and it should appeal to numerous teams.”

REBELLION RACING 6 HOURS OF NURBURGRING PREVIEW

Following the long summer break after the 24 Hours of Le Mans, REBELLION Racing is back to race in the fourth round of the 2015 FIA World Endurance Championship that will be held at the Nurburgring GP circuit, a first for the FIA WEC on this track.

After a very positive Le Mans 24 Hour race, the Swiss squad expect to deliver an even better performance at the 6 Hours of Nurburgring. The new Rebellion R-One AER immediately showed an improved pace compared to last year’s car. The summer has been a busy one for the team and their technical partners to improve the car and reliability for the coming races.

Both the drivers line ups are unchanged, in the #12 Rebellion R-One AER are Nick Heidfeld, Nicolas Prost and Mathias Beche and the #13 Rebellion R-One AER is shared by Daniel Abt, Alexandre Imperatori and Dominik Kraihamer.

Nick Heidfeld - Rebellion R-One #12 : « It is great to finally be back in the car after Le Mans. Also as we want to improve on that race which of course to me is a special home race being only a good hour away from where I was born. I can't wait to feel the power and grip of the car. I hope many fans will show up and enjoy it and see what a fantastic racing series the FIA WEC is. »

Nicolas Prost - Rebellion R-One #12 : « I am really pleased to be back at Nurburgring, my last race with the LMP1 cars was in 2009 with the team’s Lola Aston Martin. We are still on a learning curve with the Rebellion R-One AER and this race will be an opportunity to improve the reliability of our new car. »

Mathias Beche - Rebellion R-One #12 : « The 6 Hours of Nurburgring will be my first race at this track, but I am well prepared and ready to give the best for the team. We will see what the gap with the hybrid factory cars will be on this track. I can’t wait to be back in the car after the summer break. »

Daniel Abt - Rebellion R-One #13 : « I am very much looking forward to my home race at the Nurburgring. It’s a track I like a lot and after the long break since Le Mans I can’t wait to get behind the wheel of the Rebellion R-One again. Le Mans was a great race for us and therefore I hope we continue to grow as a team and again win our class this weekend. »

Alexandre Imperatori - Rebellion R-One #13 : « The summer break has been much too long since Le Mans and it's good to go back racing! We hope to build on the positive work we have done in Le Mans and bring our package further forward. The whole team is extremely motivated and we want to bring the maximum out of our potential. The Nurburgring will be a new track and plenty to learn but I look forward to a good race weekend. I usually race on the Nordschleife, so it will be exciting to race with the LMP1 car this weekend at the Ring.»

Dominik Kraihamer - Rebellion R-One #13 : « I’m super happy to get back into a race car again after such a long and hot summer break. I had a lot of time to fill up my energy batteries again by training hard. Now it’s time to get back to work! I know the track a little bit due to a « Formula Le Mans » race in 2010. It was a good race for me with a very positive result in the end, that’s why I have a good feeling getting here again. My goal for this upcoming weekend is the same as it was for Le Mans: to concentrate 100% on my performance. This is not meant to sound mean, but that’s the only way I’ll be able to get the maximum out of it. The goal is to be fast, but without any mistakes. »

Bart Hayden – REBELLION Racing Team Manager : « It's been a long break since the last race at Le Mans, but we had a lot of work to do to prepare for the second half of the season. We learned a lot from the Le Mans race as it was the first outing of the upgraded Rebellion R-One AER powered cars. When the new Rebellion R-One cars first hit the track, they were in a configuration best suited to the demands of Le Mans, but now for the sprint races we have a little more downforce. It's nice to be back at the Nurburgring, the team has achieved some good results in the past. We will be aiming high and are looking forward to getting out on track.»

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing ‏@Toyota_Hybrid 17h17 hours ago
    Nice tribute by @MikeConway26. He organised stickers to honour @justin_wilson. Also worn by @AntDavidson and others.

Ferrari's new 2016 GTE 488 for WEC breaks cover in Vallelunga test

The new Ferrari 488 built to the 2016 GTE rules ran for the first time earlier this month, the Italian manufacturer has revealed.

The car, which replaces the 458, was given what Ferrari GT racing director Antonello Coletta described as "just a shakedown" at Vallelunga with factory drivers Gianmaria Bruni and Davide Rigon sharing the driving.

"It was really just a shakedown and we plan to start proper development of the car next month," he told AUTOSPORT.

"Then we will go with the other manufacturers to the Balance of Performance test at Ladoux [a Michelin proving ground] at the end of the month."

Ferrari has finally gone public on its plans for the 488 GTE after photographs of the car emerged from the Vallelunga test.

The 488 is powered by the same 3.9-litre twin-turbo engine as the roadgoing car that was premiered at the Geneva motor show in March.

The 2016 rules grant new freedoms, particularly in terms of aerodynamics, which should result in an increase in performance over the existing breed of GTE cars.

"The simulations say between one and a half and two seconds, but I prefer to wait to see it on the stopwatch," Coletta said.

Coletta explained that the focus of the 488 programme was a continued factory assault on the World Endurance Championship with the AF Corse team.

He would not be drawn on whether the car would be ready in time for January's Daytona 24 Hours, the opening round of next year's IMSA SportsCar Championship (formerly the USC), should a customer team such as Risi Competizione want to run one in the GT Le Mans class.

Testing of the GT3 version of the 488, which is built around the same base as the GTE car, is scheduled to begin in the next 15 days, according to Coletta.

Deliveries to customers of this car will start in time for the 2016 racing season.

GTE quali just finished. #51 on pole and #71 2nd and in GTE AM #72 on pole

NEWS ALERT
    Nurburgring - 29 August 2015
    Hello Mr Robert Allum,

FERRARI TAKE DOUBLE GTE POLE IN GERMANY

29/08/2015 - 14h40

It was all smiles at Ferrari as the Italian manufacturer celebrated a 1-2 front row lockout in the LMGTE Pro category and pole position in the LMGTE Am class for tomorrow’s 6 Hours of Nürburgring.

Reigning World GTE Champions Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander took their first pole of 2015 in the no51 AF Corse Ferrari 458 with an average time of 1m54.275, just 0.055s ahead of the no71 AF Corse 458 of Davide Rigon and James Calado. The two Ferraris were two tenths of a second ahead of the no95 Aston Martin Racing Vantage of Danish duo Christoffer Nygaard and Marco Sorensen, who will be joined on row 2 of the LMGTE grid by the no92 Team Manthey Porsche 911 of Fred Makowiecki and Patrick Pilet.

The rest of the LMGTE Pro grid was made up of the no91 Porsche of Michael Christensen and Richard Lietz, the Austrian having an off-road moment at the final chicane with the no99 Aston Martin Alex MacDowall and Ricjie Stanaway alongside on row 3. The no97 Aston Martin Vantage of Darren Turner and Stefan Mucke will bring up the rear.

In LMGTE Am it was the Ferrari 458 of 24 Hours of Le Mans winners SMP Racing, with Viktor Shaytar and Aleksey Basov claiming pole 0.5 seconds ahead of the no98 of Silverstone and Spa race winners Paul Dalla Lana and Pedro Lamy in the no98 Aston Martin Vantage. Porsche will head row two of the GTE Am grid with the no77 Dempsey Proton Racing of Patrick Dempsey and Patrick Long finishing ahead of the no83 AF Corse Ferrari of French duo Emanuel Collard and Francois Perrodo.

The grid was completed by the no88 Abu Dhabi Proton Racing Porsche of Earl Bamber and Christian Ried, the no50 Larbre Competition Chevrolet Corvette of Paolo Ruberti and Gianluca Roda with the no96 Aston Martin Racing Vantage of Roald Goethe and Francesco Castellacci completing the grid for tomorrow’s 6 hours race which begins at 13h00 CET.

PIT NOTES

14:23:30 In GTE Pro Ferrari #51 fastest from Ferrari #71 and Aston #95

14:23:29 In GTE Am Ferrari #72 fastest from Aston #98 and #77 Porsche

14:22:04 In GTE Pro Ferrari #51 fastest from Ferrari #71 and Aston #95

14:20:27 Chequered Flag

14:19:32 Aston #98 stopped at turn 9

14:18:15 1:54.330 2 lap average for Ferrari #71

14:17:44 1:54.275 2 lap average for Ferrari #51

14:15:33 1:54.498 average for Aston #95

14:14:05 All 14 GTE cars have set a first driver time - 2nd drivers now getting in

14:13:27 Pour le moment le meilleur temps revient à l'Aston Martin n°99 en LM GTE PRo

14:13:17 1:54.365 for Pilet in Porsche #92

14:09:35 Shaytar in #72 Ferrari fastest in GTE Am with 1:55.732

14:08:33 1:54.056 for Stanaway in Aston #99

14:05:48 1:53.964 for Sorensen in Aston #95

14:00:42 Green Flag

NEWS ALERT
    Hello Mr Robert Allum,
    PORSCHE CLAIM FRONT-ROW AT NURBURGRING

29/08/2015 - 15h10

The two Porsche 919 Hybrid LMP1 racers will start from the front row for tomorrow’s 6 Hours of Nürburgring.

Romain Dumas and Marc Lieb shared the qualifying driving duties to register a best two lap average of 1m36.473s in the No 18 Porsche 919 Hybrid. This eclipsed the second Porsche 919 Hybrid entry, driven by Mark Webber and Timo Bernhard, by just 0.069s.

Dumas started and finished the qualifying session, setting the fastest outright lap of qualifying with a scorching 1m36.192s. It sealed the second consecutive pole position for the No.18 Porsche 919 Hybrid and ensured that Team Porsche keep its 100% pole record so far in 2015.

Audi Sport Team Joest start the race from the second row as the No.8 Audi R18 etron quattro driven by Oliver Jarvis and Lucas Di Grassi lapped at a best average of 1m37.476s. This was just over 0.3s faster than the No.7 Audi R18 etron quattro driven by Marcel Fassler and Andre Lotterer.

The pair of Toyota TS040 LMP1 cars will start the race from fifth and sixth, with the No.1 TS040 ahead of the No.2 sister car. Toyota Racing, which is based less than an hour away in Cologne at the Toyota Motorsport GmbH headquarters, will be aiming for its first podium position since Silverstone tomorrow afternoon.

Rebellion Racing led the way as LMP1 privateers with the No 12 Rebellion R-One AER beating the No 13 example by just under half a second.

LMP2 saw a familiar frenetic battle, between the No.26 G-Drive Racing Ligier-Nissan driven by Julien Canal and Sam Bird and the Nick Tandy and Matt Howson crewed No.47 KCMG ORECA 05-Nissan.

Bird and Tandy fought furiously, trading quick laps in the final portion of the session. Ultimately, the spectacular Tandy set the quicker laps and combined with Howson’s earlier effort the average of 1m46.132s was enough for the team’s second consecutive pole position in the WEC.

Rounding out the top three in LMP2 was the Signatech entered Alpine A450B-Nissan, with Vincent Capillaire and Neslon Panciatici combining to provide their best qualifying performance of the year so far.

PIT NOTES

14:53:41 Fastest Non Hybrid LMP1 #12 Rebellion from #13 Rebellion and #4 CLM

14:52:31 In LMP2 Oreca #47 on pole from #26 Ligier and #36 Alpine

14:51:24 Porsche #18 on pole from Porsche #17 and Audi #8

14:50:07 Chequered Flag

14:49:50 Ligier #26 second in P2 with average of 1:46.505

14:49:03 Oreca #47 leads P2 with average of 1:46.132

14:48:08 Porsche #18 improves average to 1:36.473

14:47:25 Porsche #17 into 2nd with average of 1:36.542

14:46:27 1:46.561 23 lap average for Ligier #26 in P2

14:44:58 1:37.600 2 lap average for Audi #8

14:43:12 1:36.535 2 lap average for Porsche #18

14:40:31 All 17 LMPs have set a first driver time

14:39:26 1:46.249 fastest in P2 for Kane in #42 Gibson

14:38:02 1:36.391 for Bernhard in Porsche #17

14:37:18 Ligier #31 spins at the chicane - brief yellow flag

14:36:11 Ligier #26 under investigation for crossing pit exit white line

14:34:20 1:36.192 for Dumas in Porsche #18

14:32:10 Green Flag
    Last edited by Rob; 29th August 2015 at 19:52.

NEWS ALERT
    Hello Mr Robert Allum,

HULKENBERG’S BUSY VISIT TO THE WEC PADDOCK

29/08/2015 - 18h17

The Porsche Team welcomed a special visit to the Nürburgring this afternoon (Saturday, 29 August), none other than Le Mans 24 Hours winner Nico Hulkenberg.

The German F1 driver was reunited with his victorious Porsche 919 Hybrid LMP1 car which brought him his very first Le Mans win at his first attempt, alongside fellow LMP1 rookies Nick Tandy and Earl Bamber.

The Porsche, nicknamed ‘Heidi’, was on display in the Nürburgring’s Ring Boulevard, in exactly the same state it finished the 24-hour race in June. It is traditional to keep cars in the same condition as they take the chequered flag, complete with dirt!

Hulkenberg, who was born in Emmerich but now lives in Ertingen in Switzerland, was present to watch Porsche’s Romain Dumas and Marc Lieb power to pole position for the 6 Hours of Nürburgring in qualifying this afternoon, and also chauffeured some very excited media guests on laps around the track. It was an action-packed few hours back in the WEC paddock!

ROW-THREE START FOR TOYOTA GAZOO RACING
    Saturday 29 August 2015

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will start the Six Hours of Nürburgring from the third row of the grid after qualifying for round four of the World Endurance Championship in Germany today.

This weekend’s event is one of two home races for the defending World Champions, alongside the Six Hours of Fuji in October, and the team has been fully focused on extracting maximum race performance from the TS040 HYBRID.

The #1 TS040 HYBRID of Anthony Davidson, Sébastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima will start from fifth place on an all-TOYOTA third row. The #2 of Alex Wurz, Stéphane Sarrazin and Mike Conway is alongside in sixth.

The 20-minute qualifying session, which sees two drivers from each car in action, took place on a dry track with air temperatures of 23°C as the weather continued to improve following a wet start to the event on Friday morning.

Anthony and Sébastien were the nominated drivers for the #1 car and completed a clean qualifying in front of a healthy crowd, finishing 2.216secs behind the pole position time of the #18 Porsche.

In the #2, Alex and Stéphane took the qualifying, with both drivers having significant experience of the Nürburgring. Alex is a previous Nürburg resident and competed many times in Formula 1, while Stéphane twice won here in LMP1, in 2007 and 2008.

Alex’s qualifying began with a trip across the grass on the exit of the final chicane of his flying lap, but subsequently posted two clean laps before handing over to Stéphane who had to contend with traffic on his first lap.

The team will now prepare its strategy for the race, which begins at 13.00 local time, with the target of returning to the podium.

TS040 HYBRID #1 (Anthony Davidson, Sébastien Buemi, Kazuki Nakajima)
    Free practice 3: 5th (1min 38.850secs), 23 laps
    Qualifying: 5th (1min 38.689secs average)

Anthony Davidson: “We tried everything we could. Sébastien and I did four very good laps to get the maximum out of the car and the crew performed well. We can be happy with the job that we all did today as a team but it’s no surprise that we are fifth. There’s not a lot more we can do. Now we will push in the race and see what we can get.”

Sébastien Buemi: “I am quite pleased with what we did in qualifying and I am happy enough with my laps. Anthony and I had quite similar lap times so I don’t think there was a lot more in the car. At the end of the day we are where we are, so we need to push for the race. It is important to keep fighting even if we are not in an easy position.”

TS040 HYBRID #2 (Alex Wurz, Stéphane Sarrazin, Mike Conway)
    Free practice 3: 6th (1min 39.893secs), 23 laps
    Qualifying: 6th (1min 39.371secs average)

Alex Wurz: “I made a mistake in the chicane which was unfortunate. I could have improved my average lap times without that. I could recover the car and return to the track without any damage but the tyres were gone for the second and third lap. Fifth and sixth is where we are with the two cars over one lap. In the race we are a bit closer so we will still be pushing and trying to get a strong result.”

Stéphane Sarrazin: “Unfortunately I had two cars in front of me on my first flying lap with new tyres so I lost a lot of time. After that my car was difficult to drive and I didn’t manage a better lap time. Traffic is always a problem on a tight track like this. We will see tomorrow for the race but there was not a lot more we could do today.”

ASTON MARTIN QUALIFIES THIRD FOR SIX HOURS OF NÜRBURGRING

29 August 2015, Nürburgring - Aston Martin Racing has qualified in third position in the GTE Pro class and second position in the GTE Am class for the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) Six Hours of Nürburgring.

It was the #95 Young Driver AMR car of Marco Sørensen (DN) and Christoffer Nygaard (DN) that qualified fastest of the five identical Aston Martin Racing V8 Vantage GTEs. The pair will start Sunday’s race from third on the grid of 14 GTE cars from Aston Martin, Ferrari, Corvette and Porsche.

“I’m really happy that we are in the top three as it gives us the opportunity to fight for the podium and get some good points for the championship,” said Sørensen. “The qualifying performance was great for both of us and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can do in the race.”

In the GTE Am class, Pedro Lamy (PT) and Paul Dalla Lana (CA) will start the race from second place, alongside team-mate Mathias Lauda (AT). After a great start to the season, they will be looking to take their third win of the year to close the gap on the championship lead.

“We both really pushed hard to get those lap times,” commented Lamy. “We’ll start from second position so hopefully we’ll get a good position in the end.”

The #99 Vantage GTE will start the fourth round of the WEC from fifth and the #97 from sixth. Tthe #96 will start from sixth in the GTE AM class and 12th overall.

The WEC Six Hours of Nürburgring starts at 1300hrs on Sunday 30 August. Fans in the UK can watch on Motors TV at 1200hrs and fans world-wide can live stream via the Official FIA WEC App.

Qualifying positions:

GTE Pro:
    #95 - P3 in class/P3 overall
    #99 - P6 in class/P6 overall
    #97 - P7 in class/P7 overall

GTE Am:
    #98 - P2 in class/P9 overall
    #96 - P7 in class/P14 overall

- ENDS -

wow #1 Toyota just over 2 seconds behind pole.

Tequila Patrón ESM Qualifies in Germany

Nürburgring, Germany, – Aug. 29, 2015 – Tequila Patrón ESM will have their work cut out for them on Sunday of the FIA World Endurance Championship’s (FIA WEC) 6 Hours of Nürburgring following qualifying today. The team is up for the challenge and believes the No. 30 and No. 31 Tequila Patrón-sponsored Ligier JS2 Hondas have more potential than their performance showed in qualifying for the LMP2 class. The Florida-based team will start seventh and eighth in the race on Sunday.

Per the FIA WEC rules, the quickest lap time from each team’s two qualifying drivers are averaged in order to determine the starting position.

Ryan Dalziel and David Heinemeier Hansson qualified the No. 30 Tequila Patrón ESM Ligier JS Honda seventh with an average lap time of 1:48.342. Dalziel and Heinemeier Hansson are co-driving with Tequila Patrón ESM driver/owner Scott Sharp during the six-hour endurance challenge on Sunday.

Ed Brown and Johannes van Overbeek qualified the No. 31 Tequila Patrón ESM Ligier JS Honda eighth with an average lap time of 1:50.594. Brown and van Overbeek are co-driving with Jon Fogarty for Sunday’s race.

Green flag for the 6 Hours of Nürburgring takes place at 1 p.m. CET/7 a.m. ET on Sunday.

Where to Watch
    The 6 Hours of Nürburgring will be televised globally and on the FOX Sports Network of channels.

For U.S. viewers, the 6 Hours of Nürburgring will air on Sunday, August 30:
    7 a.m. - 9 a.m. ET — FOX Sports 2
    9 a.m. - 1 p.m. ET — FOX Sports 1

The race can be viewed via the FIA WEC second screen app or online at www.fiawec.com.

To listen to the 6 Hours of Nürburgring, tune into Radio Le Mans at www.radiolemans.com.
    ####

ED BROWNblack

“It has been an interesting weekend so far. We just haven’t had the speed that we did during testing. I ran the fastest laps of the week in qualifying. We always race better then we qualifying, so we’re looking forward to the race. The fans have been amazing and I’m sure there will be a huge crowd for the race.”

RYAN DALZIEL

“Not the weekend we had planned on after such a great test here a month ago. We have been chasing some set-up issues, but the Tequila Patrón ESM team has been working nonstop to improve the car. I have no doubts we will be much better tomorrow and try to get the Patrón Ligier Hondas on the podium.”

JOHANNES VAN OVERBEEK

“Qualifying was tough. We’ve struggled with the setup and missed it in qualifying. Ed did an awesome job and ran his best laps of the weekend. We have our work cut-out for us tomorrow.”

DAVID HEINEMEIER HANSSON

“It was a tough qualifying session. The car wasn’t where we wanted it to be and the results reflect it. Hopefully our post-qualifying analysis will reveal the culprit and we can fix the issue before tomorrow.”