Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151627 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 WEC/ELMS&TUSC news.

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    OK thanks! But will he drive 24h of Le Mans for AF Corse because he did in 2014?
    bit early to say, but i cannt see why not.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    bit early to say, but i cannt see why not.
    Ok, thanks Rob!
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

CORVETTE DPS GAIN SPEED ON SECOND DAY OF ROAR.

PORSCHE NORTH AMERICA SETS QUICKEST TIME OF WEEKEND IN GTLM.

Living up to its billing as a dress rehearsal for the 53rd Rolex 24 At Daytona, Saturday’s second day of the Roar Before the Rolex 24 featured four sessions of TUDOR United SportsCar Championship practice, including a special 90-minute nighttime session.

Jordan Taylor ran the fastest lap of the day, going 1:39.181 (129.218 mph) in Wayne Taylor Racing’s No. 10 Konica Minolta Corvette DP shared by his brother Ricky Taylor and Max Angelelli. The three-day test wraps up with a pair of Sunday practice sessions beginning at 10:20 a.m. ET.

“These days you need to have the fastest car because when you get to the final hour [of the race] you need to race everyone,” said Taylor. “Five years ago we wouldn’t focus on a lap-time car; we’d just make it as comfortable as possible. Now you need to work on lap times and race pace because you know you’re going to come to that last hour having to race for the win.”

Sebastien Bourdais ran the second-fastest lap of the day in the closing minutes of night practice, running 1:39.310 (129.050 mph) in the defending champion No. 5 Action Express Racing Corvette DP. He was followed by Ozz Negri the No. 60 Michael Shank Racing with Curb/Agajanian Ligier JS P2/Honda, 1:39.342 (129.009 mph).

Other class leaders were Colin Braun in Prototype Challenge (PC), running 1:41.769 (125.932 mph) in the No. 54 CORE autosport ORECA FLM09; Earl Bamber in GT Le Mans (GTLM), 1:44.316 (122.857 mph) in the No. 912 Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSR; and Marc Goossens in GT Daytona (GTD) at 1:47.373 (119.360 mph) in the No. 33 TI Automotive/ViperExchange.com Dodge Viper SRT GT3-R.

NOTEWORTHY

· An unfamiliar name to North American sports car fans led the day’s final night practice in the GTD class. Christopher Zoechling – a 26-year-old German Porsche Supercup driver – ran a lap of 1:47.495 (119.224 mph) in a Porsche 911 GT America from Konrad Motorsport.

· Porsche Motorsport North America is celebrating Alex Job Racing’s first 25 years in sports car racing this weekend. “From his experience in the automotive retail business to his success as a driver and mechanic, Alex has all the tools to run a productive motorsports operation, and his championships over the 25 years of Alex Job Racing have proven he can put that rubber to the road,” said Porsche Motorsport North America president and CEO Jens Walther. “And we’re proud that he has chosen Porsche as his preferred marque.”

· The No. 0 DeltaWing Racing Cars with Claro/TracFone DWC-13 team was forced back to its race shop in Braselton, Georgia after an incident in Saturday’s afternoon session. The prototype sustained damage after another car hit the wall on the front straight just ahead of driver Memo Rojas. The team was working through the resulting differences in downforce when Rojas lost control in the kink and tapped the wall. The team decided the damage was too significant to repair at the track.

· Byron DeFoor escaped injury when he flipped the No. 50 Fifty Plus Racing Endures for a Cure Dinan/Riley after encountering a mechanical problem entering Turn 1 in the morning session. Other drivers evaluated and released from the infield care center after on-track incidents were Francois Perrodo, driver of the No. 51 AF Corse Ferrari F458 Italia and Jerome Mee, driver of the No. 38 Performance Tech Motorsports ORECA FLM09.

QUOTEBOARD

John Doonan, Director of Motorsports at Mazda Motorsports

“In short, what we’re doing is telling a story, and if you roll the story back to chapter one, which was one year ago, on this particular weekend, there weren’t very many smiling faces around this program. But yesterday as I sat on the west coast in meetings, trying to watch live timing when I could, words like ‘remarkable’, words like ‘miracle’, looking in the eyes of our crew members and seeing what they’ve done to bring us to where we are today. We’re talking about 20 mph straight-line gains, we’re talking about six to seven seconds of lap time at this particular track which isn’t particularly a place that allows us to show the strength of this engine in a straight line. From a storytelling standpoint, we’re doing exactly what we set out to do.”

Tim Keene, Team Manager - The No. 0 DeltaWing Racing Cars with Claro/TracFone DWC-13

“We had some damage from that incident this morning that affected the underfloor, and that had a negative effect on the balance of the car. But overall, everything was good. It was unfortunate at the end, but we got a lot of good data and we’re confident in that area. We have a good package – we’re quicker than we’ve ever been here.”

AJ Allmendinger, Driver - No. 60 Michael Shank Racing with Curb/Agajanian Ligier JS P2/Honda

“This is the type of racecar that throughout the last 10, 11 years of car racing I’ve done, I’ve always wanted to try driving. So when Mike [Shank] and I were talking and he said he was going to make this move, for me, I was pumped up to do it just for the pure excitement of trying to drive one of these cars.”

Earl Bamber, Driver - No. 912 Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSR:

“Last year – the first year of Porsche North America returning to America with CORE autosport – it set a very high standard winning Daytona and Sebring, winning the [Tequila Patrón] North American Endurance Cup and the manufacturer championship. Those were quite a few boxes ticked last year so we have a bit to do to try and better what we did last year.”

Marc Goossens, Driver - No. 33 TI Automotive/ViperExchange.com Dodge Viper GT3-R, defending Rolex 24 GTLM pole winner

“I’ve always liked Daytona, but there are a lot of good drivers out there and a lot of people working hard right now to come back here in two weeks and get the pole. Hopefully we have something for them, but most importantly we need to be there at the end of the race and try to get that watch.”

Jon Fogarty, Driver - No. 2 Tequila Patrón ESM HPD ARX-04b/Honda

“I’m super-excited about this opportunity and the car is great to drive. It’s comfortable, it’s quiet, there are a lot of things to like about it, but it’s still an evolving process getting used to it. I have driven a lot of different cars so it wasn’t totally foreign to me.”

- See more at: http://www.imsa.com/articles/corvett....CHspDYwW.dpuf

Tequila Patrón ESM Kicks Off 2015 at Roar Before the Rolex 24

Daytona Beach, Fla., Jan. 11, 2015 – Tequila Patrón ESM logged the first miles of its 2015 season this weekend at the Roar Before the Rolex 24 preseason test at Daytona International Speedway. The three-day test marked the public debut of the all-new Honda Performance Development ARX-04b (HPD) coupe in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship series.

Scott Sharp, Ed Brown, Johannes van Overbeek, Ryan Dalziel, Jon Fogarty and David Heinemeier Hansson shared driving duties of the carbon fiber black No. 2 Tequila Patrón HPD coupe. The No. 2 machine will be driven by Brown, van Overbeek and Fogarty in the Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup races of the TUDOR Championship.

The first HPD coupe was delivered to Tequila Patrón ESM in December 2014. Since then, the Florida-based team worked non-stop to ensure the racing machine was ready to go for the first test session of 2015. While the team was in Daytona this weekend, the second coupe, the No. 1 Tequila Patrón machine, was delivered. Splitting the team between on-track action and vehicle build at the shop, Tequila Patrón ESM still made tremendous gains with both cars.

The team’s performance improved with each test session, and made considerable progress in getting a feel for the new race car. Light rain during Sunday morning’s session gave the team the option to run several laps in the rain and test the ARX-04b’s wet weather systems and capabilities.

The season-opening Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona takes place January 24-25. Before Tequila Patrón ESM returns to Daytona, the team will focus on the next major steps in preparation for the upcoming endurance race, including data review from this week’s test, making appropriate changes to the No. 2 coupe, completing the No. 1 coupe and finishing the livery on both cars.

On Tuesday, Sharp and Brown head to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit to participate in the FIA World Endurance Championship (FIA WEC) press conference.

For the 2015 season, the Tequila Patrón ESM team has submitted two entries to the FIA WEC, along with the Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup races of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.

ED BROWN
    “We’re still getting used to the new coupe, but we know what’s needed to be ready for the Rolex 24 and the rest of the 2015 season. We made some big strides in the No. 2 this weekend. These coupes are going to be good. We received the second car this week while at the Roar test and the guys worked on that car all weekend.

“I’m looking forward to racing with Jon as a teammate. He’s a great guy and fits in well with the team. He’s super-fast in the car and was up to speed quick. It should be a great season with Jon and Johannes as co-drivers.

“Scott and I are headed to Detroit on Tuesday for the FIA WEC press conference. We’ll talk about our commitment to them and how excited we are to be racing with them this year.

“This is going to be a great year for Tequila Patrón ESM. We see the potential in these coupes. We’re eager to get the 2015 season under way.”

JOHANNES VAN OVERBEEK
    “We took the Tequila Patrón ESM HPD coupe out this morning and waited until it rained, which is not usually the case. The car had never been in wet weather before, so we just did a few runs to see if there were any leaks, if it fogged and how the mirrors reacted in those conditions. We learned a lot in a few laps and achieved our objective.

“I drove in the dry and wet and the new coupe is great. We have one car this weekend with six drivers, so everyone was able to drive. I feel like I’m learning more about the car and what it likes. It is going to be a great car once we have everything sorted out.

“The coupe feels more refined than last year’s car. The faster you go the quieter and more stable this car is and that speaks to the aerodynamic work that Wirth Research has done on the design. It feels stable and great to drive. I’m really looking forward to this season in the new coupe.”

JON FOGARTY
    “My time in the car was brief, but that was to be expected with the six of us driving one car. I think we did a really good job getting everyone through the car and comfortable. We made the most of the weekend. It was good to get behind the wheel and I was instantly comfortable ergonomically in the car. I’m still adapting; it is different from what I’ve been racing the last several years. I’m comfortable and that makes getting up to speed easy.

“Working with the team has been great. I feel very at home with Tequila Patrón ESM, driving with Ed and Johannes alongside Scott, Ryan and David.

“It was good to have the miles put on the No. 2 car and get familiar co-driving with Johannes and Ed. We still have driver change practice and the other logistical items to sort through. Everyone is very amicable and easy to get along with on the team. It is great to be back with Johannes and working with Ed is going to be great. Every time I see that No. 2 car, I feel pretty ecstatic and happy that I get to drive it.

“Thanks to everyone on the team; they’ve been slammed building both of these cars. We saw the other chassis here this weekend and the guys constantly working on that car. These Tequila Patrón ESM crew guys are awesome. Big thanks to the crew for their efforts this weekend and getting these cars ready for 2015.”

Onroak Automotive Press Release – 01.12.2015

TUDOR United SportsCar Championship - The Roar Before the 24

Daytona International Speedway – 9-11 January 2015

Roar Before the 24: successful tests for both Ligier JS P2 cars

The Roar Before the 24, the three official test days of the famous Daytona event have allowed Onroak Automotive to work with Krohn Racing and Michael Shank Racing to prepare their Ligier JS P2 cars, respectively equipped with Judd and Honda engines. It was a positive weekend which allowed the teams to progress and to show very encouraging results.

Onroak Automotive was in Daytona this weekend for the three official test days – “The Roar Before the 24”. The Le Mans manufacturer’s support team was alongside Krohn Racing and Michael Shank Racing to accompany them in their debuts in the LM P2 category and their first adventure with the #57 and #60 Ligier JS P2, respectively equipped with Judd and Honda engines.

Krohn Racing which raced until now in the GT category, and Michael Shank Racing, which has entered Daytona Prototypes for the past ten years, have made the switch to LM P2 after having discovered the performance of the Ligier JS P2 last year.

The teams took advantage of the eight sessions, including one at night, to work on different track conditions, progress on different set-ups, and so prepare themselves as much as possible before the Rolex 24 At Daytona which will run from the 23rd to the 25th of January.

The teams had up until then only done private tests with the Ligier JS P2. The tests of the Roar Before the 24 were thus their first confrontation with the competition: more than fifty cars, including sixteen prototypes, the category combining the Daytona Prototypes and the LM P2. The two LM P2 Ligier sport-prototypes were regularly at the front.

Krohn Racing’s #57 Ligier JS P2, the first chassis to be equipped with the Judd engine, entrusted to the team of T.Krohn-Pla-Jonsson-Brundle, was always in the top 10. The work and progression carried out over the three days paid off as they set the second and third fastest times in the last two sessions.

The Michael Shank Racing #60 Ligier JS P2, equipped with the Honda engine and driven by the crew of Pew-Negri Jr.-Allmendinger-McMurry, having set the second best time in the 2nd and 3rd sessions, set the best time in the 4th session and the third best time in the 7th session.

Tracy W. KROHN, Krohn Racing Team Owner/Driver: « We learned a lot about the car so it’s really good we were here at The Roar this weekend. We had one fundamental matter on the suspension hook up that we changed. We managed to do some other very successful testing. I’m still not happy with traction control, but we’ll get there. Clearly, it’s getting better all the time. We’ve had some pretty interesting conditions driving here, both at night along with driving today in the rain. There’s also a good amount of cars on the track. The car has always felt good and I’m very pleased with how comfortable everything feels and I’m also feeling pleased with the test overall. There are some things we’ll take away from this test and we’ll come back to the race ready. »

Mike SHANK, Michael Shank Racing Team Manager: « I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how good the car is and how well prepared it is. We’ve had little issues, but nothing ever slowed us down. It’s a big learning process. The Onroak Automotive folks were amazingly accommodating to us and made sure we had what we needed when we needed it. But on top of that, they’ve built a car that everybody just loves to drive. I think we are very competitive so that’s good. We need to make sure the car is reliable but I think we have a chance to win the race. »

Jacques NICOLET, Onroak Automotive President: « The results are very encouraging and the performances of the two Ligier JS P2 cars this weekend at the Daytona test days are of great satisfaction for Onroak Automotive. Our clients Krohn Racing and Michael Shank Racing have chosen different engines, respectively Judd and Honda, and we wish to accompany them as best as we can to reach the same level of competition and that the two teams are able to aim for victories. There is of course still a lot of work to do, but we’re truly satisfied by what has been accomplished by Krohn Racing and Michael Shank Racing, and I can’t wait to see these two Ligier JS P2 cars compete in the legendary 24 Hours of Daytona. »

Daytona 24 Hours: Rubens Barrichello tops wet final test day

Ex-Formula 1 racer Rubens Barrichello took advantage of drying conditions to set the fastest time on the final day of Daytona 24 Hours testing on Sunday.

The sessions were held in appreciably warmer conditions than the first two days but interrupted by frequent rain showers that led to many of the teams packing up early and running a bare minimum of laps.

No one approached the times set earlier in the weekend, but Barrichello posted the fastest time of the day in the closing moments at 1m47.230s aboard Peter Baron's Starworks Motorsport Riley-Drinan/BMW, which he will share in the upcoming Tudor United SportsCar Championship season opener with Brendon Hartley, Ryan Hunter-Reay and Tor Graves.

"I felt sorry to begin with because it was wet. I wanted some more miles and I didn't want to hurt the car," said Barrichello, who will be making his second start in the Daytona classic after a one-off appearance in a Brazilian-entered Porsche two years ago.

"I've always wanted to do Daytona properly, so to be able to drive a fast car like this one, and be among friends, is fun. For someone who loves racing, a 24-hour race is probably the way to go."

Richard Westbrook, driving the Spirit of Daytona Coyote Corvette DP, was second fastest in the afternoon but a full 4.5 seconds slower than the Brazilian after struggling throughout the test to get to grips with the new Chevrolet electronics package, especially as it related to traction control.

Westbrook just nipped ahead of Olivier Pla, driving Tracy Krohn's new Ligier-Judd JS P2 on the final lap, for third place.

Turner BMW, Daytona 24 Hours testing 2015
    Sebastien Bourdais was fastest in the morning's wetter session at 1m51.835s aboard the #5 Action Express Racing Coyote Corvette DP.

A lone GTLM contender, the Aston Martin Vantage V8 of Pedro Lamy, Darren Turner, Paul Dalla Lana and Mathias Lauda, plus half a dozen GTD cars were the only other takers during the afternoon.

Finland's Markus Palttala posted the fastest GTD time in the Turner Motorsport BMW Z4 (pictured), which had been absent from the first two days.

Palttala will share the much fancied car in the race with three-time World Touring Car champion Andy Priaulx and Michael Marsal.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117345

IMSA ESTABLISHES TECHNICAL COMMITTEE, HIRES CARTER.

RACING VETERAN GEOFF CARTER NAMED TUDOR CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES MANAGER.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Jan. 13, 2014) – The International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) today announced the addition of motorsports veteran Geoff Carter to its Daytona Beach-based management team in the role of TUDOR United SportsCar Championship Series Manager, reporting to IMSA Managing Director, Racing Operations Simon Hodgson.

Carter also will become a member of the newly established IMSA Technical Committee. The committee will be responsible for the administration of technical aspects of IMSA racing platforms including the Adjustment of Performance (AoP) associated with the TUDOR Championship.

The committee will include IMSA Technical Director Scott Raymond, TUDOR Championship Senior Technical Manager Charlie Cook and Continental Tire Challenge Senior Technical Manager Jeff Mishtawy alongside select members of the IMSA senior management team. The Technical Working Group involving IMSA technical staff and representatives of all official manufacturer partners also will continue to operate.

“Geoff Carter has tremendous experience and earned the respect of competitors throughout our sport, making him an excellent addition to the highly experienced group we’ve assembled in our competition department,” said IMSA President Scott Atherton. “His leadership, experience and personal style will be a great addition to our paddock and will be well received by our teams, drivers and manufacturers. Geoff also will be instrumental as we establish the IMSA Technical Committee, which will be focused on maintaining consistent and frequent dialogue with all of our competitors.”

An Indianapolis native, Carter brings decades of experience into his new role with IMSA. He most recently served as director of competition for SCCA-World Challenge. Prior to that, he was team manager for the Muscle Milk Pickett Racing team in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) presented by Tequila Patrón. His background also includes IndyCar/Champ Car crew chief responsibilities with Target Chip Ganassi Racing, Player’s/Forsythe Racing and Walker Racing.

He will relocate to the Daytona Beach area from Charleston, South Carolina and will start his new position on January 15. His office will be located in the International Motorsports Center located across the street from Daytona International Speedway.

“This is my dream job and this position is right in my wheelhouse,” Carter said. “IMSA is the pinnacle of sports car racing in North America and it’s an honor to join the IMSA competition department. I’m highly motivated and confident that I will have the opportunity to make a positive impact on the TUDOR Championship and throughout the IMSA organization.”

Scot Elkins will be stepping down from the position of IMSA Managing Director, Technical Regulations on January 24.

“Scot has been an extremely valuable member of the IMSA management team for many years,” said Atherton. “He gets and deserves credit for a long list of accomplishments and successes – from the ALMS and most recently the TUDOR Championship. He has elected to pursue other interests within the motorsports industry and we wish him well in his new endeavors.”

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at IMSA and have many fond memories from the ALMS and TUDOR Championships,” said Elkins. “I will truly miss the day-to-day involvement but the many friendships I have made over the years will continue. Perhaps there is an opportunity to continue being involved - it would be an honor to be able to consult on selected projects. I still have a lot of passion for IMSA and the many initiatives with which I was involved, but we’ll have to see what develops. It’s been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

- See more at: http://www.imsa.com/articles/imsa-es....THwkHvCL.dpuf

Risi back in shop having a planned engine swap.

Not long till Daytona, couple weeks. Actually watched the Dubai 24hrs last weekend. First time. That was good race, everything form Clio cup cars to the big Merc SLS GT3s, there was 90 odd cars in the race, and 4-5 classes, very interesting.

GTE Pro For The Dane Train
    on 14/01/2015

Young Driver AMR dominated the LM GTE Am class in the 2014 FIA World Endurance Championship with the crew of the #95 Aston Martin V8 Vantage taking the team and drivers class Championship in a season that saw them finish no lower than second in the eight races in the WEC taking the class win at Le Mans into the bargain, a clean sweep of the important silverware in the class.

2015 though will see a new look team take on an entirely new challenge as the team, complete with a new and important backer, moves to the GTE-Pro class of the World Championship, the premier class in worldwide GT racing, with it’s Aston Martin Vantage GTE (pending confirmation of entry by the FIA & ACO).

For the GTE-Pro assault, Young Driver AMR strengthens its “Danish Dynamite” driver line up with of the addition of Lotus F1 Team test driver and GP2 race winner. 24 year old Marco Sørensen.

The rising Danish star teams up with fellow Danes Christoffer Nygaard and Nicki Thiim.

Nygaard is the longest serving driver in the Young Driver AMR programme, while Thiim is with the team for the third season and will race in selected events as in 2014 alongside his other racing commitments.

Young Driver AMR will continue it’s close cooperation with Aston Martin Racing in 2015 FIA WEC. For the third consecutive season the Young Driver AMR-Aston Martin Vantage GTE will be entered by Aston Martin Racing.

Along with Sørensen, Copenhagen based online multi-asset trading and investment specialists Saxo Bank will join the team’s 2015 FIA WEC campaign, supporting Sørensen for the second season.

“After winning the GTE-Am class in 2014, we felt it’s the right time to raise the game“, Jan Struve of Young Driver AMR says.

“It’s a challenge to compete against the worlds leading teams, but already in 2014 we proved that we can race them. I’m really happy that Marco Sørensen joins Young Driver AMR and would like to welcome Marco as well as Saxo Bank to the team. Together with Christoffer and Nicki, who both showed an outstanding performance in the previous season, we are looking to forward to the 2015 FIA WEC.”

Marco Sørensen: “I’m happy to start with Young Driver AMR and Aston Martin Racing in the FIA World Endurance Championship and I’m very thankful to Jan Struve of Young Driver AMR and Saxo Bank, who made this possible. My goal is still to race in Formula 1, but it will not harm my ambitions if I gain experience in other classes. Racing single seaters and GT cars with Aston Martin will only help me to become a complete driver. I followed sportscar racing and especially the 24 hours of Le Mans in the past years and I’m really looking forward to my first start at Le Mans.”

Nicki Thiim: “I’m excited to start in the GTE Pro class this season. The competition in the Pro class is thrilling and challenging. For a driver, this will be big fun and I’m looking forward to this season. It’s great that Marco Sørensen will join the team. I know him very well from the days when we both went karting and I’m very confident we will form a strong team.”

Christoffer Nygaard: “Moving up to the Pro class is a big challenge. I’m happy and proud that I will a part of the team, as it’s the dream and the goal of every GT driver to race in the GTE Pro class. Nicki already proved several times in the previous season, that the Young Driver AMR-Aston Martin can race at the front of the GT car in the WEC, so I’m really looking forward to the start of the season.”

Happy birthday Fisico
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

Happy birthday Fisico

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Not long till Daytona, couple weeks. Actually watched the Dubai 24hrs last weekend. First time. That was good race, everything form Clio cup cars to the big Merc SLS GT3s, there was 90 odd cars in the race, and 4-5 classes, very interesting.
    I knew nothing about the Dubai race. Did u watch online? Interesting..Any Ferrari's in the race?

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I knew nothing about the Dubai race. Did u watch online? Interesting..Any Ferrari's in the race?
    No, it was live on Motors TV, flag to flag. First time they have done that. Not sure if it was online, im sure it was.

Very interesting race. Alot of car, alot of classes, think the GT3s were doing roughly 11-12 overtakes per lap of lower class cars. There was Ferrari, Maserati, Lambo aswell.

Dubai 24 Hours – Dragon Racing’s 458 Italia secures first win of 2015

Dubai, 10 January – Ferrari’s 2015 season has got off to the best possible start. The first race of the year, the Dubai 24 Hours, which ended today at the Emirati track, concluded with a win, courtesy of Dragon Racing and its number 88 458 Italia GT3. It took victory in the A6 Am class, driven by Saudi Mohammed Jawa, South Africa’s Jordan Gregor, British driver Rob Barff and the hard charging Irishman Matt Griffin. The quartet totally dominated proceedings, finishing a massive distance ahead of the number 23 Nissan, crewed by Florian Strauss, Ricardo Sanchez, Ahmed bin Khanen and Gaetan Paletou. Third was the 99 Porsche of Attempto Racing, driven by Arkim Aka, Andreas Lihem, Bernd Kleinbach, Philipp Wlazik and Bill Barazetti. The Dragon Racing car came home third overall and was never challenged, also setting the race fastest lap.

Just off the podium. Unfortunately, in the AC Pro class, the Scuderia Praha 458 Italia GT3 just missed out on a podium. Having started from the back of the grid because of a problem during qualifying, the number 4 car crewed by Matteo Malucelli, Peter Kox, Jiri Pisarik and Jaromis Jirik, gradually moved up the order, even getting as high as third at one point. They finished fourth, behind the two Mercedes of the Black Falcon team, which won outright with Abdoulaziz Al Faisal, Hubert Haupt, Yelmer Buurman and Oliver Webb and the RAM Racing car, while the Aston Martin of KPM Racing 1 was third.

Unlucky. The best placed 458 Italia on the grid, the number 15 car entered by Glorax Racing, didn’t even make the start. The car was involved in an accident before the start, with STP Racing’s 62 Porsche. It was a great disappointment for Per Andrey Alexandrovich, Rino Mastronardi, Gabriele Lancieri, Dimitri Deverikos and Isaac Tutumlu. The Dubai 24 Hours is part of the 24H Series championship, which will be back in action at the start of March when it’s time for the Mugello 12 Hours.

Momentum building toward Ford Le Mans program

Ford finally revealed its next-generation Ford GT on Monday at the North American International Auto Show, and for racing fans, the conversation quickly turned to the brand's plans for the twin-turbo V6 stunner.

Here's what we know based on information we've learned over the past seven months: The car is destined to compete in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2016, which will mark the 50th anniversary of Ford's first win at the world's most famous race in the GT40 MK II.

The curvy coupe will be built to conform to the Automobile Club de l'Ouest's GTE regulations – the same class where the factory Corvette Racing, Porsche, Ferrari, and Aston Martin teams engage in an annual cage match at the legendary 8.5-mile French circuit.

Canadian racing technology and chassis construction experts Multimatic will be responsible for transforming the Ford GT road car into its baseline GTE platform. North Carolina's Roush Yates Engines, which churns out Ford's TUDOR United SportsCar Championship twin-turbo V6 EcoBoost mills (, will apply its knowledge to the GTE challenger.

American powerhouse team Chip Ganassi Racing will run the program. The Indianapolis-based outfit began its sports car partnership with Ford in 2014, running the Ford EcoBoost Daytona Prototype platform in the TUDOR Championship where it won the prestigious 12 Hours of Sebring, and later in the season at the "Lonestar Le Mans" event at Circuit of The Americas.

Ganassi has relied on Scott Pruett, the winningest driver in North American road racing history, for the better part of a decade, and his ties to Ford date back to the 1980s when he joined the manufacturer as a works driver. Ganassi recently hired Joey Hand, who hails from Sacramento along with Pruett, away from BMW after the Californian completed an eight-year stint as a factory driver. The two American drivers are primed to lead the development of the Ford GT as the team readies itself to represent Ford on the international stage.

Some of the more recent details about the program add more elements of intrigue to the Blue Oval's plans.

The launch of the car and its Le Mans return were initially considered as a package deal for NAIAS, but the most recent timeline for a rollout has been moved to Paris just prior to the 24-hour race in mid-June. Fans hoping to see the car on Monday and learn about its return to La Sarthe will have to wait a few more months.

The recruiting process for the Le Mans program started almost one year ago. Although the project came to light in early summer, a few key personnel were targeted for the project as early as March, if not sooner.

With Ganassi's Ford EcoBoost DP effort expected to fall silent at the end of 2015 to allow their full focus on the GTE program, Ford has made all of its resources available to the team – many of which had been previously unavailable. Combined with the massive racing-specific engineering and R&D resources Ganassi already has in place with its Verizon IndyCar Series, TUDOR Championship, and NASCAR Sprint cup programs, opening the door to Ford's enterprise-level resources should accelerate the Le Mans project to a point of readiness that few manufacturers have experienced in recent years.

The new Ford GT's use of the same 3.5-liter TTV6 EcoBoost Daytona Prototype engine is a smart choice by the manufacturer, and due to the intensive weight loss and packaging optimization the engine has gone through in the past 12 months, not to mention the reliability it has displayed at events like the 24 Hours of Daytona, the road car will inherit an engine package with significant racing pedigree.

Horsepower and torque figures for the GTE class are impressive, yet often require manufacturers to dial down both figures to comply with regulations. It makes the GT's 600 hp in road trim far more than they'll be able to use at the track, and that can only help in their durability quest. Basically, the race version of the engine will be understressed.

Multimatic is also renowned for its suspension and damping expertise, which will help Ford to reach a similar state of immediate readiness as the Roush Yates engine. The one area that will require work is the Ford GT's aerodynamics.

With low-drag bodywork serving as the key to quick lap times at Le Mans, Ford and Ganassi will need to transform the car's aerodynamic profile into more of an arrow than automotive art project. If Ford intends to become a player in 2016, aero will be the key.

Another interesting area for the team to master is the fuel used by teams at Le Mans. E85 is the norm in America, and while we won't know the exact mixture that will be required until the 2016 regulations are revealed, tuners can expect a continuation of the watery stuff that threw the Dodge factory effort off in 2013. Once the 2016 spec is known, look for Roush Yates to have the dyno rooms glowing with mapping tweaks and 24-hour simulation runs on the punchless petrol.

Of the major questions needing answers, it's unclear how robust the Ganassi-Ford GTE racing program will be in 2016. It's safe to assume a presence in the TUDOR Championship will be maintained in the GT Le Mans class (the series' name for cars conforming to ACO GTE regulations), and it would also be expected – and likely required, based on existing rules – for the team to contest some rounds of the World Endurance Championship prior to Le Mans.
    We'll also have to wait and see what Ford's driver roster looks like, and with plenty of championship-winning talent available for hire – I've even helped connect a few drivers with the right people involved with the project – we could see an impressive, multi-national lineup of American badasses, French speakers, and other talent to wave the Stars and Stripes.

Could see this heading for them to try and win it in 2017, anniversary since their win in 1967.

FIA World Endurance Championship WEC, LMP1

Track debut for 2015 Porsche 919 Hybrid

Atlanta. Extensive testing with the second generation of Porsche’s Le Mans prototype will begin on January 18, on Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina Circuit. As scheduled, this marks the start of the 2015 motorsport season for the Porsche Team. The new Porsche 919 Hybrid has already had its roll-out on the Weissach test track. As a next step, there will be several performance and endurance tests before the WEC season opener on April 12 in Silverstone, Great Britain.
    The new Porsche 919 Hybrid is a comprehensive evolution of the successful car that made its debut in 2014. It will feature the same innovative drivetrain concept consisting of a 2-liter V4 turbocharged petrol engine, an electric motor powering the front wheels, and two energy recovery systems. The new generation car had its first roll-out on December 15, 2014.

WHAT’S NEW IN THE 2015 REGULATIONS.

Changes to Qualifying.
    - Best 2 lap average instead of 4 for the 2 drivers from each entry

- Session time reduced to 20 minutes

Limitation to the number of engines in LMP1
    Limitation in the number of slick tyres per event
    Limitation in number of personnel
    Average weight of the LMP1 drivers set
    LMP1-H and LMP1-L becomes LMP1 with hybrid (manufacturers) and non hybrid (private teams)
    The FIA World Endurance Championship sporting regulations are constantly evolving and there are several important additions and amendments for the coming season. The ACO and the FIA, through the Endurance Commission, are constantly striving to provide a clear, fair and consistent set of rules which allow competitors and fans to understand and enjoy the thrills of endurance racing.

QUALIFYING

One of the important differences which will be seen in 2015 is the change to the qualifying format. Two drivers still have to take part during the session, which has been reduced from 25 to 20 minutes, but instead of an average time set with the two best laps by each driver (an average of four laps), it is now the average of the best lap set by each driver (an average of two laps).

LMP1 ENGINES

For 2015 LMP1 hybrid competitors will be limited to five engines per car for the entire 2015 season. Nissan, which is entering the FIA World Endurance Manufacturers Championship for the first time in 2015, will be allowed 7 engines for the complete season. Race-by-race entries in the LMP1 (hybrid) category will be limited to a maximum of two engines per car per event.

TYRES

The use of slick tyres will be limited for each of the 6-hour events – these new rules do not apply to the 24 Heures du Mans.

The LMGTE Pro and Am teams will be limited to four sets of slick tyres during Free Practice and six sets during the qualifying sessions and races at seven rounds of the championship (all except Le Mans).

LMP2 teams will be limited to three sets during Free Practice and four sets during qualifying / races.

LMP1 teams will be limited to four sets of slicks during Free Practice and six sets for qualifying and the race with the exception of Shanghai and Bahrain where eight sets will be allowed.

Each team in all four categories are allowed to change two single tyres without penalty in case of punctures or damage during the weekend. There is no limit to the number of wet weather tyres that can be used during the weekend.

LMP1 AVERAGE DRIVER WEIGHT

LMP1 entrants must declare the minimum weight of each driver entered. If the average weight of the drivers is 80kg or more no action is necessary. If the average weight of the driver line-up in each LMP1 car is less than 80kg, driver ballast must be added to the car which will equal 80kg minus the actual average weight of the drivers.

LMP1

In 2015 LMP1 cars will be known as ‘hybrid’ and ‘non hybrid’ instead of LMP1-H and LMP1-L. There will still be an FIA Endurance Trophy for Privateer LMP1 Drivers and Teams.

LIMITATION OF PERSONNEL

The number of operational personnel that any competitor entered into the Manufacturers World Endurance Championship can take to WEC events after the 2015 24 Heures du Mans will be limited to 65 people for a two-car team and 90 for a three-car team.

TESTING

The number and type of private tests that can be undertaken by competitors in LMP1 and LMP2 have been updated for 2015. The allocation is such that one car per test day equals one unit (car/days) and two cars per test day equals two units (car/days). The numbers of car/days now allowed are as follows:-

For LMP1 competitors only

A maximum of 10 closed private testing car/days are allowed.
    A maximum of 20 closed private testing car/days are allowed for any new car manufacturer entering the Manufacturers' World Endurance Championship.
    A maximum of 10 open private testing car/days respecting the pre-announcement period of 30 days are allowed.
    A maximum of 30 open private testing car/days respecting the pre-announcement period of 90 days are allowed.
    For LMP2 competitors only

A maximum of 5 closed private testing car/days are allowed.
    A maximum of 10 open private testing car/days respecting the pre-announcement period of 30 days are allowed.
    For LMGTE Pro and LMGTE Am competitors only

A maximum of 10 closed private testing car/days are allowed.
    Any open private testing car/days must respect the pre-announcement period of 30 days.
    END OF SEASON ROOKIE TEST

A Rookie Test, which will take place on a date and at a location to be confirmed later this year, is mandatory for competitors entered in the FIA World Endurance Manufacturers' Championship with at least one car.

Great win for Ferrari in Bahrain..
    The new Porsche looks great..
    The Ford? why do so many new cars look like the designer has a pic of a 458
    on their wall

New ESM Racing livery, stunning...

LUHR EAGER TO BEGIN SEASON WITH BMW.

One of the most successful drivers in the history of North American endurance racing looks forward to a new challenge in 2015, when he joins BMW Team RLL for the full TUDOR United SportsCar Championship season. He will drive the team’s No. 24 BMW Z4 GTE, beginning with the Rolex 24 At Daytona. He participated in the recent Roar Before the Rolex 24, where he joined John Edwards, Jens Klingmann and Graham Rahal in the No. 24.

Luhr was the leading winner in the history of the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón with 49 triumphs. Including two in Rolex Sports Car Series competition, he has 51 career victories – trailing only Scott Pruett (59) and new BMW teammate Bill Auberlen (53). The 35-year-old German also has a pair of class victories in the 24 Hours of Le Mans (2002 and 2003). He won the GT class at the Rolex 24 in 2001 in a Porsche fielded by Michael Peterson, and was the Rolex 24 pole sitter in 2006, finishing third overall in a Porsche/Crawford fielded by Alex Job Racing.

How big is the Rolex 24 for you?

“I think it’s a very special event. Over the last couple of years you could see there was more and more competition, and more cars and real professional drivers, including drivers from IndyCar and NASCAR. You can see the status of the race increased over the last 10 years.”

How big was winning the Rolex 24 back in 2001?

“It’s good to be on the winner’s list. Unfortunately, I don’t have an overall victory yet, but maybe that still can come in the future. But I have a Rolex watch – that’s important!”

Does anything stand out from your Rolex 24 victory?

“I remember that it was very wet. We had 19 or 20 hours of rain, and the infield was just like a lake. We might have been better off that year with a speed boat than a race car! At that time it was GT and the (SportsRacer) Prototypes from the past. We finished second overall with a GT car. It was very special. It was a very tough race with all that rain.”

You had the car to beat in 2004 with Alex Job Racing, only to lose a lot of time with axle boot problems. Any memories from that race?

“Once every 10 years you have a car like we did back then. I put it on pole and we were in the lead. We had by far the quickest car on the track. Then we had a driveshaft issue that we had to repair. We made up three or four laps and got back in the lead, and then in the morning we had another issue. Then we knew it was over. We were very disappointed, because we knew an opportunity like that doesn’t come very often. But hey, this year we have the opportunity to win in GTLM, and a win is a win, right?

Wasn’t your last full season in America a dream season, winning eight of 10 races and the ALMS championship?

“It was very successful. The LMP1 cars are not allowed anymore, so that’s why I’m looking to GTLM. I think it’s the best GT racing in the world. It has a lot of manufacturers fighting it out, and I’m very much looking forward to not only the Rolex 24, but the whole season. It’s great competition. It’s not for nothing that so many great car manufacturers come here to compete against each other. Therefore it’s very important that we do a good job. I know it’s always tight, but you’ve got to be just a tiny bit better than the others.”

- See more at: http://www.imsa.com/articles/luhr-ea....5OBZyQNJ.dpuf

News Release January 20, 2015

Porsche Motorsports Event Notes. Rolex 24 At Daytona Event. 53rd Rolex 24 At Daytona

Circuit. Daytona International Speedway.

Track Length/Turns. 3.56-miles/12-turns.

Round. One of Ten, TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.

Next Round. Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, Sebring International Raceway, March 21

Porsche Events.
    TUDOR United SportsCar Championship
    Date. Saturday-Sunday, January 24-25, 2015
    Race Duration. 24-Hours
    Classes. GT Le Mans (Porsche 911 RSR), GT Daytona (Porsche 911 GT America)

Porsche Profile. Event Story Lines
    Porsche In Two Classes. 12 Seventh-Generation Porsche 911s Entered for 53rd Rolex 24
    Porsche is the most successful sports car manufacturer at Daytona International Speedway (DIS) since the inception of the first Daytona Continental race in 1962, and the first 24 Hours of Daytona in 1966. In that time, the German marque has captured a record 22 overall victories, the first in 1968 and the most recent in 2010. Over half, 12, of those overall titles have come with another Porsche giving chase and finishing second. As recently as 2014’s GT Le Mans (GTLM) class victory for the No. 911 Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSR, Porsche has won 76 class victories. The venerable entry with the rear-engine layout has 12 opportunities to add a 77th and 78th title in 2015 with three Porsche 911 RSR racecars in the top GT category, GTLM, and nine Porsche 911 GT America racecars in the GT Daytona (GTD) class that will fight for the pair of GT victories available.

GTLM Triad. Three Porsche 911 RSR Look for Repeat GTLM Victory at Rolex 24
    In 2014, Porsche North America, the first factory team in recent memory to focus on this continent, debuted at the Rolex 24 At Daytona. The pair of then new Porsche 911 RSR ran at or near the front throughout the 24-hour race with both in contention deep into the night. It wasn’t until the No. 912 suffered a rare mechanical issue that it would be left to the No. 911 to take Porsche’s 76th career class victory at Daytona. Now, the duo of Porsche works 911 RSR return to Daytona International Speedway joined by a third privateer entrant, Team Falken Tire. Porsche North America is back with 2014 winners Nick Tandy (Great Britain) and Patrick Pilet (France) teamed with Porsche 919 Hybrid driver Marc Lieb (Germany). The No. 912 has one of the veteran Porsche works drivers, Jörg Bergmeister (Germany), joined by sophomore factory driver Frédéric Makowiecki (France) and first-year works man Earl Bamber (New Zealand). The third entry, the No. 17 Team Falken Tire car is shared by longtime Falken teammates Wolf Henzler (Germany) and Bryan Sellers (Braselton, Georgia). They will gain the immense talent and experience of the United State’s only factory driver, Patrick Long (Manhattan Beach, California) for Daytona. The triad of the most iconic sports car in motorsports will face a field of 10 mostly factory entries in the ultra-competitive class.

It’s a Small World. Second-Year GB Autosport Draws Drivers from Around the Globe
    GB Autosport was started in 2014 by Tully’s Coffee principal Michael Avenatti. He got his first taste of racing in 2011 with Bob Faieta’s Competition Motorsports in IMSA Porsche GT3 Cup competition, scoring a breakthrough podium finish at Laguna Seca in 2012 and then moved on to American Le Mans Series GTC competition. After recovering from back surgery last fall, Avenatti re-joins the team as a driver for its sophomore season. Scotland’s Rory Butcher (Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain), Poland’s Kuba Giermaziak (Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup), Ireland’s Damien Faulkner (Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain and returning GB driver) will join Americans Mike Skeen (Pirelli World Challenge) and Avenatti to make up the strongest lineup the team has ever had in its short existence for the No. 81 Tully’s Coffee Porsche 911 GT America. Team Manager Cole Scogham had the GB Porsche in contention for a podium finish in the GT Daytona class at several races last season, but bad luck and some on-track incidents prevented more top finishes. Still, the GB Porsche has had podium pace for most of the events, with a season-high fourth-place finish at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park last July.

Porsche History.
    Overall Wins. 22 (first in 1968; most recent in 2009 and 2010) (Record)
    - From 1977 to 1987, Porsche had compiled 11 consecutive overall wins (Record)
    - Initial Overall Win: 1968
    - Finished 1-2 overall in 12 Daytona 24-Hours (Record)

Class Wins. 76 (includes Daytona Continental races starting in 1962; 24 hour races that started in 1966; most recent in GT Le Mans class in 2014)
    - GT Class Wins: 27 (Record)
    - SGS Class wins (class ran only in 2004): 1
    - GX Class wins (class ran only in 2013): 1

- Porsche 911 Wins: 40 Overall and Class Victories (Record)
    - 20 Race Winning Streak (overall or class): 1966-1987 (Record)
    - GT class winner finishing second overall: 2001, 2004
    - GTX Series Winner: 1978-1981
    - GTP Series Winner: 1982-87, 1989, 1991

Race win statistics for the Rolex 24 – a majority accomplished in Porsches.
    Most Overall Victories.
    1. Hurley Haywood, 5 (1991, 1979, 1977, 1975, 1973)
    Scott Pruett, 5 (1994, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2013)
    2. Peter Gregg, 4 (1978, 1976, 1975, 1973)
    Rolf Stommelen, 4 (1982, 1980, 1978, 1968)
    Bob Wollek, 4 (1983, 1985, 1989, 1991)
    Pedro Rodriguez, 4 (1971, 1970, 3 hour races in 1964 and 1963)
    7. Brian Redman, 3 (1981, 1976, 1970)
    Derek Bell, 3 (1989, 1987, 1986)
    Andy Wallace, 3 (1999, 1998, 1990)
    Butch Leitzinger, 3 (1999, 1997, 1994)
    Juan Pablo Montoya, 2 (2007, 2008, 2013)
    10. Mauro Baldi, 2 (2002, 1998)
    Wayne Taylor, 2 (2005, 1996)
    Elliott Forbes-Robinson, 2 (1999, 1997)
    A.J. Foyt, 2 (1985, 1983)
    Al Holbert, 2 (1986, 1987)
    Jan Lammers, 2 (1990, 1988)
    Ken Miles, 2 (1966, 327-lap race in 1965)
    John Paul Jr., 2 (1997, 1982)
    Lloyd Ruby, 2 (1966, 327-lap race in 1965)
    Didier Theys, 2 (2002, 1998)
    Al Unser Jr., 2 (1987, 1986)

Most Consecutive Overall Victories.
    1. Peter Gregg, 3 (1973, 1975, 1976 – No Event Held in 1974)
    2. Al Holbert, 2 (1986, 1987)
    Al Unser Jr., 2 (1986, 1987
    Derek Bell, 2 (1986, 1987)
    Hurley Haywood, 2 (1973, 1975 – No Event Held in 1974)
    Pedro Rodriguez, 2 (1970, 1971)
    Ken Miles, 2 (1966, 327-lap race in 1965)
    Lloyd Ruby, 2 (1966, 327-lap race in 1965)
    Pedro Rodriguez, 2 (327-lap race in 1964, 3-hour race in 1963)
    Scott Pruett, 2 (2007, 2008)
    Juan Pablo Montoya, 2 (2007, 2008)

Most Class Victories.
    1. Scott Pruett, 10 (1987, 1988, 1992 – 94, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2013)
    2. Peter Gregg, 6 (1978, 1976, 1975, 1973, 1972, 1968)
    Hurley Haywood, 6 (1991, 1979, 1977, 1975, 1973, 1972)
    3. Hans Herrmann, 4 (1968, 1967, 1966, 1963)
    Pedro Rodriguez, 4 (1971, 1970, 1964, 1963)
    Rolf Stommelen, 4 (1982, 1980, 1978, 1968)
    Amos Johnson, 4 (1988, 1987, 1986, 1985)
    Bob Wollek, 4 (1991, 1989, 1985, 1983)
    Peter Uria, 4 (1993, 1992, 1991, 1990)
    Robby Gordon, 4 (1993, 1992, 1991, 1990)
    Wally Dallenbach Jr., 4 (1993, 1992, 1991, 1985)
    Greer, 4 (2001, 1993, 1992, 1991)
    Andy Wallace, 4 (2003, 1999, 1997, 1990)

Porsche Point of View.
    Earl Bamber, Driver, No. 912 Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSR
    “It was a good way to kick things off for Team Porsche North America to be quickest at the Roar. However, the lap times showed the whole field was within one second over the three days. That is amazing and shows how competitive the series and the GTLM class are. It means we are going to have to be pushing all the way right until the last minute in the race. My favorite part about Daytona is the banking. It is massively impressive and you don't notice how steep it is until you follow the safety car and you feel like you’re going to fall down. It was great to have my first race for Porsche North America at Petit Le Man last year. It makes it easier to come to Daytona as I know the team and they know me. My teammates are two of the most experienced and highly rated GT drivers in the world so it’s great to be with them and learn as much as I can. It’s a very long race so I hope we can be there in the last two hours fighting for the win.”

Jens Walther, President/CEO, Porsche Motorsport North America
    “We are entering the second season of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship with a lot of positive momentum with the Porsche 911 RSR and the Porsche 911 GT America. The test provided both our factory and customer teams, as well the Porsche Motorsports engineers, a valuable opportunity to see where we stand. We left with a good sense of what we needed to do before we returned and what we need to do this week as well. The competition has never been so close which is great for the fans. Our teams are well prepared and have secured strong driver line-ups for the 24hour race. We are looking forward to a good start and exciting racing in both classes throughout the season.”

Connor De Phillippi, Driver, No. 18 Muehlner Motorsports America Porsche 911 GT America
    "2014 marked my first major win with Porsche in Europe, but also a difficult second half of the season with many hard lessons learned. I've grown stronger over the winter and I'm really looking forward to competing in the most coveted Porsche championship in the world, the Porsche Mobil 1 SuperCup. Coming from more of a sprint race format, the driving mentality for the Daytona 24 Hour will be a lot different due to the length and the fact that there are several different classes of cars on track at the same time. The Muehlner Motorsports America Porsche 911 GT America I'll be driving has several different performance upgrades compared to my 2014 Porsche Cup car, which will create new limits for me to explore and make the Rolex 24 Hour a very valuable experience for me!"

Where to Watch.
    TUDOR United SportsCar Championship
    Television Race Broadcast:
    Saturday, January 24
    2-4 pm FOX Network
    4-8 pm FOX Sports 2
    8-10 pm FOX Sports 1
    10 pm-7 am IMSA TV on IMSA.com (live video streaming and commentary)
    Sunday, Jan. 25
    7 am-2:30 pm FOX Sports 1
    Re-Air of Race Highlights Package
    NA
    Live Race Streaming:
    FOX Sports Go
    Live Qualifying Streaming:
    IMSA.com
    Audio Streaming
    IMSA.com
    Live Timing and Scoring:
    http://scoring.imsa.com/

NEWS ALERT
    Paris - 19 January 2015
    Hello Mr Robert Allum,

2015 ENTRY LIST

In just over two weeks the 2015 entry lists for the FIA World Endurance Championship, the 24 Heures du Mans and European Le Mans Series will be revealed in Paris on Thursday 5 February.

Teams have until midnight on Thursday 27 January to register for the 2015 seaon.

DAYTONA GTLM PREVIEW: A RACE ENGINEER’S PERSPECTIVE

General:

The total car count of 53 cars is down from 67 in 2014 on this 3.56 mile track. The four longer endurance series races always have a larger Pro-Am content than the shorter races; this makes getting through traffic and staying clear of trouble more difficult and risky. Your concentration has to be high as traffic will be constant. A driver’s mental fatigue and any lapse of concentration could easily affect the outcome. The modified safety car and wave by rules will ensure a large lead-lap car count for each class, as the rules make it easy to make up any lap deficit. The IMSA TUSC specific balance of performance (BoP) GTLM rules are established for Daytona but will be evolving throughout the season with some makes having an edge over others. This doesn’t change the inherent strategy you choose, but it may change the intra-class competition balance and each make’s ability to pull away, catch up or maintain position within the class. Clearing GTD traffic will be particularly difficult for GTLM as the GTDs have a banking speed advantage due to less restricted engine rules.

The Track:

Daytona_International_Speedway_Road_CourseDaytona is the iconic, classic ‘roval’ (road course oval/superspeedway). Weather and grip will vary with conditions. The current forecast for rain will certainly add additional complexity to the race. The track was repaved recently and, with mild winters, the surface is still relatively smooth. The corners are all slow except the Bus Stop and the Kink. This is all complicated by having to run very high tire pressures and very low cambers in order to diminish the chance of having banking related tire failures. There are many ways to get a good lap time here but good, stable braking, good corner exits from turn 3, 6 and the Bus Stop, plus speed through the latter are key to a competitive race car.

Rick Mayer With Davide Rigon (Keith Rizzo Photo)

The Setup:

Daytona is a track that requires some reserve in setup to increase safety. Daytona setups only relate to Daytona. The mechanical setup and tire pressures we need to run (Daytona-only pressure and Daytona-only cambers) here are all in the direction of safety to the detriment of lap time and performance. We bias the setup to improve braking stability and traction and maximize banking speed. You don’t setup for the infield as it’s difficult to pass there. The required high tire pressures (+20%!) reduce front and rear grip. The increased pressures tend to bias the deficit to the rear, both at corner entrance and power down at the exit. The reduced camber safety requirements (more than one degree less camber) also decrease grip; all of these changes combine to modify the general setup from what you expect. We’ll try and trim drag, as much as you can on a GT car, to improve banking speed. With 53 cars you’ll be in traffic throughout the infield nearly every lap. The only legitimate passing areas are on the banking to clear slower cars, braking into turn 1, braking into the Bus Stop and occasionally into turn 5. The better car to race is the low-drag version if the lap times are similar. Being fast in the infield section is of little advantage.
    Last edited by Rob; 20th January 2015 at 19:16.