Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 WEC/ELMS&TUSC news.

24 HOURS OF LE MANS – 2015 LM GTE GUIDE (2) : THE ASTON MARTIN VANTAGE

The Aston Martin Vantage has been a big draw in the LM GTE Pro and Am categories over the past few years and, together with the Ferrari 458 Italia, was the other victor at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2014.

The road version - The Vantage label appeared for the first time in the early 1950s. The name was originally used to denote an improved variant of the DB Mk II but later, in 1977, a separate V8 Vantage model was introduced. The current version came out in 2005 and retains the profile of the DB9, which it also succeeded at Le Mans in 2012.

The 2014 season - Like the Ferrari 458 Italia in LM GTE Pro, the Aston Martin Vantage left its rivals standing in the LM GTE Am category, claiming seven victories (including the 24 Hours of Le Mans for the Danish trio, David Heinemeier Hansson-Kristian Poulsen-Nicki Thiim) in eight races and, of course, the FIA Endurance Team Trophy. Darren Turner and Stefan Mücke also won twice in LM GTE Pro (6 Hours of Circuit of the Americas and of Sao Paulo).

En route for 2015 - A dual objective this year - retaining the LM GTE Am crown and claiming the title in the LM GTE Pro category which, despite six victories since 2012, has eluded the British car since the creation of the FIA World Endurance Championship.

The 83rd 24 Hours of Le Mans will take place on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 June 2015.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

24 HOURS OF LE MANS 2015 – THE LM GTE GUIDE (3): THE PORSCHE 911.

In 2015, the 911 will once again be Porsche's ambassador in the battle that will unfold between Ferrari, Porsche and Corvette.

The road version – A timeless silhouette since its presentation at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1963: with the 911, rarely has a model ever embodied a manufacturer to such an extent, which remains true to this day. Among its noteworthy evolutions: the turbocompressor (1974), four-wheel drive (1989) and water-cooling (since 1998).

The 2014 season – Porsche reached the third step on the podium at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in the LM GTE Pro and Am classes, while Olaf Manthey's official LM GTE Pro team won two victories in the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC).

En route for 2015 – For half a century, the Porsche 911 has been a cornerstone of the 24 Hours of Le Mans and endurance racing. There is no doubt it will figure in the lead pack this year, to reclaim supremacy in La Sarthe and to dethrone Ferrari in the World Championship.

WEC - PROTON COMPETITION (PORSCHE) ANNOUNCE PATRICK DEMPSEY'S TEAM MATES.

At the ACO press conference on 5th February, we learned that Proton Competition will be entering two Porsche in the LM GTE category in the 2015 FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC), one with Patrick Dempsey at the wheel. The German team has since revealed the composition of both teams on its Facebook page.

Last year, Proton Competition clinched third place in the LM GTE Am Team Trophy at the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC), thanks to consistent performances by the trio Christian Reid, driver and team owner, Klaus Bachler and Khaled Al Qubaisi. While they couldn't claim any race victories, they came second in their category at Le Mans.

The trio will be back racing this year with Porsche 911 RSR n°88. However, the name Proton Competition is no longer used, except for the 6th reserve car on the entry list for the 83rd Le Mans 24 Hours, as the team has been renamed Abu Dhabi-Proton Racing.
    Similarly, now the Dempsey Racing team has put an end to its activities on American soil, the Dempsey Racing-Proton formation seen at Le Mans is known as Dempsey-Proton Racing. Patrick Dempsey, star of American TV series Grey's Anatomy, made no secret of his desire to take part in the FIA World Endurance Championship and an agreement was reached on a partnership with Christian Reid's team.

In Porsche n°77, the actor - best known for his role as Dr Shepherd in the TV drama - will be back with Patrick Long, official Porsche driver with whom he competed in the TUDOR United Sports Car Championship last year and at the twice-round-the-clock race in Le Mans last year (coming 5th in LM GTE Am). They will be joined by Marco Seefried, one of the winners in the GTD category at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 2014.

Both cars will make their debut at the Prologue, the official testing session prior to the FIA WEC World Endurance Championship, on 27 and 28 March at the Paul Ricard Circuit in Castellet, with free entry for spectators on 28 March (on reservation).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    24 HOURS OF LE MANS 2015 – LM GTE GUIDE (1): THE FERRARI 458 ITALIA.
    http://i60.tinypic.com/23ijcs8.jpg
    To begin this presentation of cars entered in the LM GTE Pro and Am classes at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and in the 2015 FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC), the honour goes to the queen of the 2014 season: the Ferrari 458 Italia.

The road version – Presented at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2009, the Ferrari 458 Italia succeeded the F430. It reproduces the rear-center V8 engine architecture (570 hp for 4.5 liters and 1,380 kg dry).

The 2014 season – The Ferrari 458 Italia has won a total of 18 class victories (LM GTE Pro, LM GTE AM and also GTC) at the 24 Hours of Le Mans as well as the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC), European Le Mans Series (ELMS), Asian Le Mans Series and Tudor United SportsCar Championship. It won in the World Championship the LM GTE Pro titles for constructors, teams (for AF Corse) and drivers (for Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander), while the Russian team SMP Racing won the ELMS driver and team titles in the LM GTE and GTC classes.

En route for 2015 – To maintain this impressive domination is certainly a difficult undertaking over the years as the competition level from Porsche, Aston Martin and Corvette will always be fierce…Perhaps prepare for the future with the new 488 GTB presented a few days ago?

The 83rd edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans will take place Saturday and Sunday, June 13-14, 2015.
    Can't wait to see the new AF Corse livery
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

JMW MOTORSPORT ANNOUNCE 2015 ELMS LINE UP

By JMW MOTORSPORT

JMW Motorsport is thrilled to announce their driver line-up for the 2015 European Le Mans Series as George Richardson, Sam Tordoff and Robert Smith.

This marks a second season with JMW for George Richardson, who helped the Essex based team race to 3rdplace in the 2014 ELMS Championship with four podium visits on the way. 23 year old Richardson is set to build on his impressive 2014 sportscar debut during which he won many plaudits as ‘one to watch’.

Sam Tordoff joins JMW to make his debut in GT Racing, having already made his mark in the ultra-competitive world of Touring Car racing. 2014 saw Tordoff finish 7thin the British Touring Car Championship, taking a win and six podiums. The 25 year old from Yorkshire, a BRDC SuperStar for the last two years, is eager to keep trips to the podium a regular feature in 2015!

Completing the line-up, JMW are pleased to welcome Robert Smith to the fold. Smith has a valuable wealth of sportscar and endurance racing experience under his belt. The Essex driver had a packed 2014 which saw him finish 3rd in the gruelling 12 hours of Bathurst, 2nd in the Porsche 991 Le Mans 24Hour Support World Cup and 2ndoverall in the ProAm 1 Championship of the Porsche Carrera Cup UK.

Both Smith and Tordoff joined the team at the end of 2014 for a test at Estoril, impressing with their immediate speed and both enthused at what the JMW Motorsport Ferrari 458 had to offer!

JMW Motorsport are never short of ambition, dedication and grit on the race track and are delighted to have three drivers of the same mind set join the family for what looks set to be a thrilling season!

Quotes:

George Richardson

“I couldn't be more proud to have driven for JMW in 2014 and now I get to do it all over again in 2015. I am delighted to be back with Jim [McWhirter, Team Principal] and the team and I am raring to go. We are Championship contenders.”

Sam Tordoff

“I have wanted to get into GT racing now for a number of years, and this year the stars have aligned and it’s finally possible! I’d like to thank Jim for having me on board. It is important for me to try and break the mould and show that I am not just a Touring Car driver. I believe with the right people and resources - that JMW have, I can have a successful GT career.

“The car is by far the best thing I have ever driven and certainly a big step up from what I have been driving up to this point.”

Robert Smith

“It’s an honour to be driving with JMW, a team at which I have the opportunity to fulfil all of my racing ambitions. I was lucky enough to see the team at work at Estoril last year and was hugely impressed by their absolute will to win.

“Racing European Le Mans series is the next step up for me, and my aim is to do everything possible to help the team achieve race wins in 2015.”

2015 ELMS Calendar

10-11 April Silverstone, UK

16-17 May Imola, Italy

11-12 July Red Bull Ring, Austria

5-6 September Paul Ricard, France

17-18 October Estoril, Portugal

MEDIA INFORMATION
    PARIS - 23 February 2015
    Hello Mr Robert Allum,
    POSTER REVEALED FOR WEC 6 HOURS OF SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS

The poster for the WEC 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps has been revealed and continues the new 2015 theme for the promotion of the World Endurance Championship this year. The race weekend, which is Round 2 of the WEC, will take place from Thursday 30 April to Saturday 2 May at the world famous circuit in the Ardennes region of Belgium.

Tickets for the event are also available HERE, with a 3-day pass costing just 31€, with children 12 and younger going free. The tickets include unreserved grandstand seating, access to the paddock and the autograph session and to the entertainment village and fan area.

As well as the second 6-hour race of the season for the World Endurance Championship, the weekend in Belgium will also feature two races for the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Benelux and Porsche Carrera Cup GB. The schedule for the weekend is available HERE

http://i59.tinypic.com/15pj49c.png
    MEDIA INFORMATION
    PARIS - 23 February 2015
    Hello Mr Robert Allum,
    POSTER REVEALED FOR WEC 6 HOURS OF SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS

http://i57.tinypic.com/20gf7dk.jpg
    The poster for the WEC 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps has been revealed and continues the new 2015 theme for the promotion of the World Endurance Championship this year. The race weekend, which is Round 2 of the WEC, will take place from Thursday 30 April to Saturday 2 May at the world famous circuit in the Ardennes region of Belgium.

Tickets for the event are also available HERE, with a 3-day pass costing just 31€, with children 12 and younger going free. The tickets include unreserved grandstand seating, access to the paddock and the autograph session and to the entertainment village and fan area.

As well as the second 6-hour race of the season for the World Endurance Championship, the weekend in Belgium will also feature two races for the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Benelux and Porsche Carrera Cup GB. The schedule for the weekend is available HERE
    I will go there Rob Really can't wait! First time Iam gonna see AF Cose in real life racing

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    I will go there Rob Really can't wait! First time Iam gonna see AF Cose in real life racing
    love to go there myself. Im going Silverstone, meeting couple drivers and a certain team boss

love to go there myself. Im going Silverstone, meeting couple drivers and a certain team boss
    Iam so jealous! You really have to post some photos here than Rob! You are obliged to

MEDIA INFORMATION
    Paris - 27 February 2015
    Hello Mr Robert Allum

GET UP CLOSE AT THE PROLOGUE: JUST FOUR WEEKS TO GO

The Prologue, the official preseason test for the World Endurance Championship, will take place in just four week’s time at the Circuit Paul Ricard in the south of France.

Two days of intense testing will start on Friday 27 March. On Saturday 28 March the WEC will welcome the public, who will have the opportunity to get their first look at the cars and meet some of the drivers during the autograph session and pitwalk at lunchtime.

The Prologue will be the first time all the cars will test on the same circuit together so there is a lot of anticipation to see how the cars and drivers will perform ahead of the opening race of the 2015 season at Silverstone on Sunday 12 April.

Public admission to the Circuit Paul Ricard on Saturday 28 March is FREE OF CHARGE and there is no need to register for the tickets this year. Members of the media can apply for a press pass for both days HERE.

LMP2 Notes, All Over For ADR Delta, Aragon Test

ADR-Delta Gone

Sad news today as letters have started to arrive with creditors confirming that ADR Delta have gone into liquidation. The team’s plans to become Millennium Racing hit major trouble early in 2014 costing them a 2 car full season FIA WEC entry.

The team’s pair of Nissan engined Oreca 03-Rs were purchased by Ibanez Racing and will race this season in the ELMS.

It’s a sad end to a team that were real contenders, and multiple race winners, in the first two years of the FIA WEC.

Dunlop Test

The recent Dunlop test at Motorland Aragon has thrown up some interesting snippets.

Six teams attended the test, which followed on from a two day exclusive test for Onroak Automotive on Saturday and Sunday:

WEC contenders SARD Morand (Morgan Evo), Signatech Alpine (Alpine 450b) and G-Drive Racing (Ligier JS P2) were all present, as were ELMS teams Jota Sport and Greaves Motorsport (both with their Gibson 015S) and Algarve Pro Racing (Ex TDS Ligier).

All five of the SARD-Morand drivers so far confirmed were present together with the full season WEC Alpine trio too (Chatin, Panciatici and Capiliarre).

G-Drive Racing is believed to have had its second Ligier present with all six full season drivers. Sources at the track suggest that Pipo Derani posted the fastest time of the test in a G-Drive car, and that times across the board have seen substantial improvements from 2014.

Amongst the ELMS runners, Greaves ran with both Robbie Kerr and the soon to be wed Abdulaziz Al Faisal, the Saudi driver proving to be very quick.

Filipe Albuquerque was amongst an interesting line-up for Jota whilst pictures on social media indicated that Andrea Roda and Dan Norris Jones joined Michael Munemann at Algarve Pro for the test. This is highly unlikely though to be the team’s full season ELMS line-up.

Thiriet by TDS Livery

The red and black Thiriet by TDS livery looked great on last year’s Ligier, and this year’s new Oreca 05 looks set to be a fan favourite too

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...agon-test.html

ELMS 2015 - Regulation Part I - Four categories

The 2015 ELMS will start in one month, with the official test session which will take place at the Circuit Paul Ricard in the south of France on March 23rd and 24th. In the meantime, let's have a look at some details of the 2015 ELMS regulations.

To start with, the 2015 ELMS will include four different categories.
    The European Le Mans Series is a European series of endurance races reserved for cars such as "Le Mans Prototypes" and "Le Mans Grand Touring" plus "Grand Touring Challenge". More than three cars must be entered for the whole season in each category.

· LMP2: The category below the top LMP1 class of the FIA World Endurance Championship, LMP2 is a key part of the “Endurance" family which allows teams, as well as drivers, to gradually progress to the highest level. The "Le Mans Prototype 2" (LMP2) class is reserved exclusively for privateer teams independent of constructors and/or engine suppliers.

LMP2 cars have similar characteristics to LMP1 (carbon monocoque chassis) while respecting strict cost criteria: price-capped chassis at €370,000. For closed cars the price must not exceed €450,000. The price of engines is capped at €80,350. In 2015, three different engines (Nissan, Honda, Judd) and many chassis (ORECA, Morgan, Zytek/Gibson, BR, Ligier among others) are available, allowing customers an infinite number of possible combinations!

Number Colour: BLUE

· LMGTE : Grand Touring cars are part of the tradition of endurance racing. To be homologated, a GTE (E for Endurance) must be based around a production road car of which 100 examples have been built (25 for a "small manufacturer”, 300 for a carbon chassis). The "race" version must retain the shape of the road-going model from which it is derived. The engine must retain its original location, orientation, and its original position. However, it may be re-positioned for cars of which a minimum number of 2500 examples are produced in a consecutive 12-month period.

As opposed to the category with the suffix "Pro" (entered in the FIA WEC and the 24 Hours of Le Mans), "Am" designates the GTE class reserved for amateur drivers and these are the cars that are eligible for LMGTE class in the ELMS.

Technically, the cars in the GTE Am class correspond to the same regulations as the GTE Pros, but they must be at least one year old. Thus, they cannot benefit from the latest developments.

Number Colour: ORANGE

· GTC "Grand Touring Challenge". The true launch pad for competitors wanting to concentrate on endurance racing in GT cars, the Grand Touring Challenge class has welcomed GT3 cars homologated by the FIA since 2013.

The GTC class is primarily for amateur drivers, with vehicles close to production models. It is up to each manufacturer to develop its car and provide a precise description in an FIA homologation document. The car cannot be developed by the manufacturer during the season and teams are limited in what modifications can be made to the specification. During events the scrutineers must ensure that the car is in line with its homologation papers and any adjustments decided upon following tests carried out by the FIA.

Number Colour: BLACK

· LMP3: In order to strengthen the pyramid of endurance racing which was introduced in 1999 by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest, the ACO has for 2015 launched a new category of junior sports-prototype for endurance racing, LMP3.

In the pyramid of "Le Mans Prototypes," LMP3 becomes the first step on the ladder before moving up to the LMP2 and LMP1 classes (the latter in the FIA WEC and 24 Hours of Le Mans).

The thinking behind this car is that there should be fewest number of constraints possible, whether those are budgetary, technical, driving or operation. The sale price of the new car, complete, must not exceed €195,000.

The LMP3 is a closed car. The chassis and body of LMP3 can be built by any manufacturer and they are very close to those of the current LMP2 (closed cockpit, carbon chassis). Powered by a normally aspirated 420 bhp Nissan powerplant, unique to and identical for all chassis, the engines are marketed by the ORECA company which also provides specific assistance to teams.

Number Colour: PURPLE

ELMS 2015 - Regulation Part II - Points & Awards

What is the points system in ELMS ?

The European Le Mans Series will start at the Paul Ricard circuit in three weeks with the annual official test session. Following a look at the four categories that will make up the 2015 ELMS, let's take the opportunity to understand the ELMS point system and what the awards are on offer for the best performing teams and drivers this season.

The ELMS point system is the same as the one used in the World Endurance Championship and is applied to all the categories in the same way.
    Points Scale:
    Points for Drivers and Teams classified in each race are awarded according to the following scale:

1st: 25 points

2nd: 18 points

3rd: 15 points

4th: 12 points

5th: 10 points

6th: 8 points

7th: 6 points

8th: 4 points

9th: 2 points

10th: 1 point

Beyond: A half point (0.5) will be awarded to any car placed beyond 10th place overall.

One (1) additional point will be awarded to the car and the drivers who have achieved pole position in each category.

Titles and Trophies:

At the end of the season, the following titles will be awarded:

- A European Le Mans Series Trophy given to the Team winning the LMP2 class.

- A European Le Mans Series Trophy given to the best Driver(s) in LMP2.

- A European Le Mans Series Trophy given to the Team winning the GTE class.

- A European Le Mans Series Trophy given to the best Driver(s) in GTE.

- A European Le Mans Series Trophy given to the Team winning the GTC class.

- A European Le Mans Series Trophy given to the best Driver(s) in GTC.

- A Trophy European Le Mans Series given to the Team winning the LMP3 class.

- A European Le Mans Series Trophy given to the best Driver(s) in LMP3.

Invitations to the 24 Hours of Le Mans

An automatic invitation to the 2016 24 Hours of Le Mans has been confirmed for each team winning its category, available to five teams entered in the 2015 ELMS season.

- The 1st LMP2 will be invited to participate in the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2016.

- The 1st and 2nd LMGTE will be invited to participate in the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2016.

- The 1st GTC will be invited to participate in the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2016 in LMGTE Am.

- The 1st LMP3 will be invited to participate in the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2016 in LMP2.

It is imperative that more than three cars are entered for the season, and that they have participated in all the races of the 2015 ELMS season.

Next 2015 ELMS information: a look at the 2015 calendar and circuits

F1 RACER MAX CHILTON JOINS NISSAN'S WEC CHALLENGE

Former F1 racer Max Chilton and Nissan regular Alex Buncombe have completed Nissan’s squad of nine drivers for the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO. This news was announced ahead of the Geneva Motor Show where Nissan’s LM P1 car will appear for the first time in Europe.

Max Chilton joins Nissan after two seasons in Formula One, where he became the rookie with the ‘safest pair of hands’ demonstrated when he finished every single one of the races in his debut season in 2013. Fast and mistake-free is the order of the day in LM P1 racing so the British racer will be an asset to Nissan’s pioneering new team.

“I'm honoured to have been asked to join a manufacturer as prestigious as Nissan in a championship that is growing year on year,” said Chilton. “Le Mans has always had an amazing following and to be racing there as a works driver is a dream come true. My aim has always been to race at the highest level and the technology that has gone into the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO is as impressive as a Formula 1 car. Having met with the team and seen first-hand the dedication and desire to win that exists within this project I can't wait to get on track."

Fans of motorsport videos on YouTube will need no introduction to the racing skills of Alex Buncombe. He has become a star via his onboard camera videos, such as the one from Monza that showed him overtaking 18 cars on the opening lap of a GT race last year, which over half a million people have watched. He is less known for his work as the mentor to all of Nissan’s GT Academy winners since the programme began in 2008. Now he can’t wait to get his GoPro in the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO.

“This is a genuine dream come true for me,” said Buncombe. “I was shocked when I got the call and I haven’t been able to wipe the grin off my face ever since. It’s very rewarding being the mentor of the GT Academy winners, especially when I see how much the likes of Lucas (Ordonez) and Jann (Mardenborough) have gone on to achieve. Now I’m going to race at Le Mans with them in the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO. I already know a fair amount about the car and I can’t wait to have a go. It’s a radical design and, as with all new cars it will take some developing and fine-tuning, but it’s incredibly exciting and I’m so happy to be on the team.”

“It’s good to have Alex and Max on the team,” said Darren Cox, Global Head of Brand, Marketing & Sales, NISMO. “They have come to us from different routes. Alex has driven every current Nissan racing car we have and - when you consider that I started working with him when he was racing a 350Z in GT4 – that’s some journey. Max is best known for his F1 exploits, although he has competed in LM P1 before, back in 2007 when he was only 16. The addition of these two drivers shows that Nissan has cast its net wide in looking for the best driver line up for LM P1. We now have drivers who raced last year in F1, LM P2, GP3, GT3, V8s, GT500 and of course on PlayStation 3 on Gran Turismo 6!”

Chilton joins Marc Gene, Michael Krumm, Jann Mardenborough, Olivier Pla and Harry Tincknell for the season-opening race at Silverstone on 12 April. The configuration of the driver line-ups for the #22 and #23 Nissans will be announced at a later date.

Buncombe will join the team for the Le Mans 24 Hours where he will race in the #21 Nissan GT-R LM NISMO with Tsugio Matsuda and Lucas Ordonez.

LM P1 testing continues this week at Sebring International Raceway in Florida, USA with Max Chilton, Marc Gene, Jann Mardenborough, Olivier Pla and Harry Tincknell on driving duty.

Rolling Stone and Patrón Tequila Partner at 24 Hours of Le Mans

Tequila Patrón ESM LMP2 Entries Will Feature Rolling Stone Livery at Preeminent Endurance Race this Summer in France
    New York, NY (March 3, 2015) –Tequila Patrón Extreme Speed Motorsports (ESM) and Rolling Stone will make their 24 Hours of Le Mans debut with an eye-catching new entry this year– two Honda Performance Development (HPD) ARX-04b coupes emblazoned with the Rolling Stone logo, during the 83rd running of this prestigious race weekend on June 13-14 in Le Mans, France.

Patrón Spirits International, the lead sponsor of Tequila Patrón ESM, has partnered with Rolling Stone in both brands’ first-ever involvement in this world famous racing event. Tequila Patrón ESM will also appear in a short film and accompanying story for RollingStone.com and Rolling Stone magazine.

This year marks the first time that Tequila Patrón ESM will compete in the eight-race FIA World Endurance Championship (FIA WEC) season, which includes the team’s first showing at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. At the race, Tequila Patrón ESM will field two Rolling Stone-branded HPD coupes in the LMP2 class. The No. 30 prototype will be driven by Scott Sharp, Ryan Dalziel, and David Heinemeier Hansson. Both Dalziel and Heinemeier Hansson are former 24 Hours of Le Mans winners. Behind the wheel of the No. 31 prototype will be Ed Brown, Johannes van Overbeek, and Jon Fogarty. A total of 56 entrants among four classes have been confirmed for the race, 20 of which will compete in the LMP2 class. The cars’ livery will be unveiled in the coming months

“Patrón and Rolling Stone have proudly collaborated for many years, most recently partnering on ‘Mastering the Craft,’ the six-part documentary series on RollingStone.com that celebrates the artistry of singers and songwriters,” said Gus Wenner, Head of Digital of Wenner Media. “Very similarly, the talented drivers and teams that compete in world-class motorsports express their art through heart stopping speed and agility.”

“This unique partnership brings together the top name in luxury spirits, the most recognized voice of music and popular culture, and the pinnacle of motorsport competition. We’re enormously excited that the Tequila Patrón ESM coupes will fly the iconic Rolling Stone logo at the legendary Circuit de la Sarthe track in Le Mans, France this summer,” said Lee Applbaum, Global Chief Marketing Officer at Patrón Spirits International.
    ####

shot of the new R18..

WEC - AUDI AND NISSAN IN TESTS AT SEBRING

Audi and Nissan have reserved the Sebring circuit for five days of private tests. The Japanese manufacturer pursues its campaign of tests with the GT-R LM NISMO as the German manufacturer inaugurates its 2015 version of the R18 e-tron quattro.

The private tests are regulated for the LM P1 FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) competitors. Also, the constructors looking to conduct tests must announce the desired dates, place and number of cars beforehand.

Audi and Nissan will conduct five days of tests at the Sebring circuit, often considered a great measuring stick given the adage the "12 Hours of Sebring equals the 24 Hours of Le Mans." Audi often utilizes the bumpy track to put the strength of its cars to the test. Nissan, who has a higher test quota than its rivals given its status as a newcomer in the FIA WEC, understands the track well and intends to make Sebring one of its preferred playing grounds to develop the GT-R LM NISMO. This week, no less than five drivers will take turns at the wheel: Max Chilton, Marc Gené, Jann Mardenborough, Olivier Pla and Harry Tincknell.

At this time of year, Florida's mild weather attracts hopefuls, as much as the Prologue, the championship's official tests, which is just around the corner. Have you not yet reserved your spots, free of charge, for the second day of tests at the Circuit Paul Ricard in Castellet? You need to hurry!

The Prologue will take place March 27th and 28th...

this isnt not looking good for P2, i know only a proposal, but this is crazy idea.

There May Be Trouble Ahead, 2017 LMP2 Proposals Spark Major Controversy

There’s no surprise that the FIA/ ACO/ IMSA are looking at the future of the LMP2 class from 2017, the cycle of new and revised regulations is a well established one.

After a shaky 2014 in the WEC the class seems in rude health for the coming season with a double digit entry, three different engines and five different chassis from three different manufacturers.

The ELMS meanwhile has a similarly healthy 2015 entry, a dozen cars, 6 different chassis from four different manufacturers (two of which aren’t competing in the WEC).

The current ruleset allows both open and closed cars and the current vogue is for coupe designs, it’s been known for some time that this will be mandated from the next (2017) rule change.

Ahead of that Onroak Automotive (Ligier), Oreca, HPD/ Wirth Research, Strakka Dome, Multimatic Mazda (revised Lola) and BR Engineering (SMP Racing) have all already invested in new (or in the case of Multimatic/ Mazda heavily revised) chassis.

In addition there are other aspiring LMP2 contractors in the wings, Riley Technologies and Gibson Engineering (nee Zytek) principal amongst them but with newcomers too including Wolf and Tiga expressing interest in future programmes.

On the engine front Nissan’s V8 has dominated in numerical terms in recent years but Engine Developments’ BMW based Judd V8 correctly has its fans too and HPD’s twin turbo V6 has proven to be a very effective tool throughout the current LMP2 formula. In the USA both Ford (with their EcoBoost Turbo) and Chevrolet are known to be looking carefully at future P2 programmes.

Add in too the fact that, at present, the only place in ACO rules racing where there is an effective ‘tyre war’ is in P2 where Dunlop do battle with Michelin, and others are sniffing around an entry too including Pirelli, Yokohama and Hankook.

All told then variety is a key attraction of the ‘junior’ LMP class.

It was little less than a shock then to receive a copy of the detailed proposal presented by the ACO/ FIA/ IMSA to a meeting of LMP2 chassis and engine manufacturers during the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona week.

The changes suggested for the 2017 regulations could be described as ‘sweeping’ and include:

A reduction in the number of chassis manufacturers to four (including at least one in North America)

A single engine supplier for ACO/ FIA Series (WEC, ELMS and AsLMS), currently envisaged to be a 4 litre V8 based on at the architecture of a Global Race engine 2 litre 4 pot. IMSA would allow multiple engine choices.

A single tyre supplier for ACO Series.

The timeframe for defining the engine and chassis constructor choices is a tight one – The intention is to issue a WEC tyre tender document in June and for the selection to be made by September this year, a similar timeframe is applied to selection of the four chassis constructors.

Chassis

On the chassis front that would see at least two existing LMP2 coupe manufacturers leave the marketplace, and possibly up to four companies currently producing and supporting either LMP or DP machinery with no future as chassis suppliers in the numerically most significant LMP class.

It seems that the proposal was a shock too to many in the industry. Unsurprisingly almost nobody wants to speak on the record but several players contacted by DSC have confirmed that this was the very first time they had seen these proposals, or that they had been discussed with them.

The question arises, Why?

The answer seems to be a combination of factors, the most important of which might well be lobbying of the governing body by some of the manufacturers.

Certainly one manufacturer, who did not wish to be identified, was aware that there were background discussions before Daytona along these lines, the opinion offered was that the marketplace was very tight, and that allowing teams to design their own cars and effectively sidestep the cost-cap regulations (by building cars that are not, in reality, for sale externally) was a problem that diluted the marketplace for the established players.

There is mention in the meeting notes of reduced costs to the teams, certainly a laudable aim, but there is no indiction of either a pure number or percentage reduction being aimed for.

So what are the important numbers here.

The proposal document states that the aim is:

Acceptable running costs for teams, and sustainable business model for manufacturers

More than one manufacturer has confirmed to DSC today that the cost of producing a ‘clean sheet 2017 LMP coupe design would be c.£3-4 million GBP and that to justify that expenditure 8-10 cars would have to be sold.

The new cars would be based on a 2014 spec LMP1 monocoque with a 4 year homologation period for the new LMP2. Again that is a yardstick that seems to favour some established players over others.

One existing coupe manufacturer has confirmed that the cost of amending a current design would be far less, but still not inconsequential, and that they would need to build and sell at least 4 2017 cars to justify the investment.

Certainly if there is a target figure for cost reduction that needs to be fielded publicly as soon as possible, because such a drastic and artificial manipulation of the marketplace deserves an explanation.

Then there is the question of the short-term effect on the marketplace – with the future prospects of a number of the current manufacturers under serious question who would risk investing in a product that has, at best, an uncertain future?

Engine

Putting aside for a moment the proposal that IMSA retains the option for multiple engine manufacturers there’s a fairly similar picture to the concerns of the chassis manufacturers amongst the current engine suppliers.

Effectively outside North America there are three players: Nissan with a production based V8, HPD with their twin turbo V6 and Engine Developments with a V8 based on a BMW block.

The proposal as it stands would see all three current engines out of the game, opting instead for a pure race engine (not production based, a 4 litre normally aspirated V8 based on the Global Race Engine (GRE) 4 pot turbo platform.

GRE has been around for a while and was even considered as a basis for the current F1 powerplant, famously indeed the decision to go instead with a V6 turbo caused major and lasting friction between Bernie Ecclestone and Ferdinand Piech, the head of the supervisory board of the VW Group, whose company had invested heavily in the concept only to have the rug pulled from under their commitment.

VAG then have the basis of a GRE engine on the test bench, and notably no fewer than three VAG brands were present at the Daytona meeting with VW, Bentley and Lamborghini all present despite having no live LMP2 chassis or engine programmes, or indeed publicly declared intent to enter the LMP2 marketplace.

Again unsurprisingly there was no comment on offer when approached by DSC today but it seems clear that VW Group is considering bidding for the sole engine supplier contract badged with either one, or possibly several, VAG brands.

In North America the situation is different, P2 and DP are the top class in the Tudor United Sportscar Championship and are therefore of potential and legitimate interest to the major car manufacturers.

Both Ford and Chevrolet are currently active with DP engine programmes and there are clear signs that they wish to continue into future LMP based programmes with their chosen engine technology.

The proposal permits this for IMSA competitors, permits ‘styling variations’ for the bodywork, and permits those cars to enter the Le Mans 24 Hours (but not the WEC) with performance balancing to occur between the WEC and IMSA cars.

Tyres

There is disappointment, but little surprise, amongst the tyre makers of a move to a single supplier for the FIA WEC.

Disappointment because there are now very few places indeed in significant motorsport where there is a true tyre battle, something that most of the major players value greatly.

Yes, of course, they enjoy commercial advantage with a sole supplier basis, but success against your rivals sells!

More than one though has noted that without competition at the P2 level the prospects of anyone stepping up to challenge Michelin in LMP1 is all but non-existent. Taking on the established dominant player would need long and careful development and race proving – Tyre development is counted out in the proposals tabled at Daytona

More Questions than Answers

In conclusion the proposals present many more questions than answers at present and have prompted major ripples in the long established supply chain.

An uncontrolled release of part of the story has not helped in any way and those present at the meeting agreeing to stay silent is a rickety lock on a very empty stable

If the raison d’etre here is reducing costs to the teams then that needs to be be quantified and explained very quickly – if those responsible for the decisions won’t communicate then be assured that those who disagree with them most surely will!

More than that though there is a very troubling change in philosophy emerging here – ‘Prototypes’ are called that for a reason. If development is regulated out of court then their right to have that title is massively diluted.

On the chassis front, aside from the specific commercial interests of a (very) small group of manufacturers there is little or no demand for a move closer to ‘spec’ racing’ at this level – Choice and variety are at the core of the sport – as beautifully defined by the current success in LMP1

Most importantly of all though is a blunt question based on the certainty of what this means for part of the current marketplace:

Is it really acceptable to reduce the choices of those who invest in motorsport and furthermore to put motorsport professionals out of work in the commercial interests of some of their competitors?

GG

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...ntroversy.html

31 cars on track for the official test session at Le Castellet

The first gathering of the 2015 European Le Mans Series teams will take place at the Paul Ricard circuit in the South of France on March 23rd and 24th.

31 of the 34 full season entries will be present for the official test, which has become an important and integral part of the ELMS calendar.

All of the 2015 LMP2 entries will be present at Le Castellet and it is time to meet the new teams ‘in town'. Joining the LMP2 category in 2015 are Algarve Pro Racing and it's Ligier JS P2 n°25, the two brand new prototypes from Russian team SMP Racing (BR01 n°27 and n°37), the three ORECA03R-Nissan n°44 and n°45 Ibanez Racing and n°33 Eurasia Motorsport. American team Krohn Racing, who are well known in the LMGTE world, will race in the prototype category this season with the Ligier JS P2 n°40.

The ELMS official test also provides the first opportunity to find out about the new crews from Pegasus Racing at the wheel of the n°29 Morgan Nissan, talk to the vice champions of 2014 JOTA Sport (Gibson 015S-Nissan n°38) as well as the Greaves Motorsport team (Gibson 015S-Nissan n°41, the Murphy Prototypes (ORECA03R-Nissan n°48) and discover the brand new ORECA05 n°46 entered by Thiriet by TDS Racing.

The official test will also be the first time to see the new LMP3 prototypes on the track, this new category has been created by the ACO to complete the endurance pyramid. Three of the seven season entries will be present, thanks to Team LNT (n°2 and n°3) in which media will also have the chance to meet the Olympic cycling champion Sir Chris Hoy who will make his first run on the Paul Ricard circuit. The 3rd LMP3 on track will be n°15 from Spanish team SVK by Speed Factory.

The LMGTE category will be full as 10 cars will be on track in the South of France. AF Corse will bring their three F458 Italias - the n°51, n°81 and LMGTE vice champions n°55 driven by Duncan Cameron and Matt Griffin. AF Corse is also the team behind AT Racing (n°56) and Formula Racing (n°60), who have graduated from GTC where they finished as vice champions in 2014.

Two additional Ferraris will run at Le Castellet thanks to JMW Motorsport (n°66) and Kessel Racing (n°80). The GTC race winners at the last meeting in Estoril Team BMW Team MarcVDS have become a full season entry this year and will run in the LMGTE category with their n°52 BMW Z4. Finally two Porsche will join the battle in the category, with n°86 911 GT3 RSR from Team Gulf Racing UK and the n°88 Proton Competition Porsche 911 RSR.

All of the six season entries in the GTC category will be on track at Le Castellet with four Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 : WEC LMP2 Driver Champion Sergey Zlobin, will amongst others be at the wheel of n° 57 SMP Racing, AF Corse will enter n°62, 63 and 64 Italias GT3. The one and only Aston Martin Vantage GT3 on the 2015 ELMS grid is entered by Danish team Massive Motorsport, while TDS Racing, in addition to its involvement in LMP2, will run the BMW Z4 GT3 n°59.

Rob , do you have any photos of the AF Corse 2015 livery yet?

Rob , do you have any photos of the AF Corse 2015 livery yet?
    not yet, i have seen a video of testing yesterday, and she was in an all black number. But that just testing livery.

Krohn Racing Partners with Michelin Tire for ELMS and 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Houston, Texas (March 3, 2015)...Krohn Racing announced today that it would partner with Michelin Tires for their European Le Mans Series (ELMS) and 24 Hours of Le Mans entries in 2015.

"We are very pleased to announce our continued partnership with Michelin into the 2015 ELMS season, alongside an invite from the ACO for the 2015 24 Hours of Le Mans," said Krohn Racing Team Manager Gary Holland. "We have conducted an intensive test program over the winter which involved a tire comparison which we believe will stand us in good stead for this season. The LMP2 category is stronger and bigger than before and we are looking forward to getting started alongside Michelin."

"Michelin is very happy to be Krohn Racing's tire partner in the new challenge, the LMP2 class in the ELMS championship and manager.Le Mans 24 hours," said Jerome Mondain, Michelin endurance racing manager.

"We have a long history with Michelin and are glad to continue this partnership with them," said team owner/driver Tracy W. Krohn. "We feel Michelin is the right tire for our Ligier-Judd entry for both the ELMS series and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. They have always provided good support and this year will be no different."

The 2015 ELMS schedule includes: Silverstone, England, April 10-11; Imola, Italy, May 16-17; Red Bull Ring, Austria, July 11-12; Paul Ricard, France, September 5-6; and Estoril, Portugal, October 17-18.

The ELMS test will be held at the Paul Ricard Circuit on March 23-24. Krohn and longtime teammate Nic Jonsson will pair for all the races and Oswaldo (Ozz) Negri, Jr. will join them for four of the five ELMS events.

The next race for the Krohn Racing team is the 12 Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida at Sebring International Raceway, Sebring, Fla., March 19-21, 2015.

not yet, i have seen a video of testing yesterday, and she was in an all black number. But that just testing livery.
    Can you provide me with the link please, Rob? Would really like to see it!

Can you provide me with the link please, Rob? Would really like to see it!
    shot from video, not great but the best i could do...

MEDIA INFORMATION
    Paris - 05 March 2015
    Hello Mr Robert Allum,

THE PROLOGUE: MEET THE LMGTE COMPETITORS

Eleven of the twenty-nine cars that will be at Circuit Paul Ricard for The Prologue on the 27/28 March will race in the LMGTE classes of the 2015 World Endurance Championship. Fans of endurance racing will have the opportunity to meet some of the drivers during the FREE pit walk and autograph session on Saturday 28 March.

A total of 6 LMGTE Pro and 5 LMGTE Am will be out on track during the five track sessions during which the teams will be putting their final touches to their 2015 preparations.

Ferrari, Porsche and Aston Martin will take two cars each to Le Castellet, with reigning champions AF Corse fielding two 2015 Ferrari 458 Italias.

World driver champions Gimmi Bruni and Toni Vilander will once again team up in the no51 Ferrari to defend their hard-won 2014 title against the renewed effort by Porsche Team Manthey and Aston Martin Racing. In 2014 Bruni and Vilander took four pole positions and four victories, at Spa, Le Mans, Fuji and Bahrain, to clinch the title for themselves, Ferrari and AF Corse.

Davide Rigon and James Calado will race the no71 F458 and will be looking for that elusive first victory in 2015 after scoring five podium finishes last season.

Porsche Team Manthey will take two Porsche 911 RSRs to Le Castellet with Richard Lietz, Jörg Bergmeister and Dane Michael Christensen sharing the testing duties in the no91 car. French duo Patrick Pilet and Fred Makowiecki will be joined by Germany’s Wolf Henzler in the no92 car.

Aston Martin Racing will bring the no95 and no99 Vantage V8 to Circuit Paul Ricard, with Dane Marco Sorensen and Brazilian Fernando Rees named as the lead drivers. The no97 Vantage of Darren Turner will get its first outing at the 6 Hours of Silverstone two weeks after The Prologue.

In LMGTE Am, five out of the seven full season entries will be taking part in The Prologue with two Ferrari 458s, two Porsche 911s and one Aston Martin Vantage.

Reigning 2014 European Le Mans Series LMGTE Champions SMP Racing have entered their championship-winning car into the WEC in 2015 with title holders Victor Shaytar and Andrea Bertolini being joined by Aleksey Basov in the no72 SMP Racing Ferrari. French duo Emmanuel Collard and François Perrodo will race the AF Corse-entered no83 Ferrari 458 with Portugal’s Rui Aguas.

The two Proton Racing run Porsche 911 RSRs are both at Le Castellet. The lead driver of the no77 Dempsey-Proton Racing RSR in 2015 will be American Hollywood star Patrick Dempsey who will race alongside fellow American Patrick Long and German Marco Seefried. The no88 Abu Dhabi-Proton Racing Porsche will have a full complement of drivers in the south of France, with Christian Ried, Klaus Bachler and Khaled Al Qubaisi.

The no96 Vantage will be the sole LMGTE Am class car that Aston Martin Racing will run at Le Castellet, with Roald Goethe the lead driver in this car.

Both the no50 Larbre Competition Chevrolet Corvette C7 and the no98 Aston Martin Racing Vantage V8 will be absent from The Prologue but will both be on the grid for the 6 Hours of Silverstone on the 10-12 April.

The Prologue – FREE ENTRY FOR THE PUBLIC ON SATURDAY 28 MARCH

The Prologue will take place at the Circuit Paul Ricard on 27/28 March 2015. On Saturday 28 March the event will open for the public to attend free of charge. The fans who attend will have the opportunity to see the cars on track during two open test sessions and at lunchtime they will be invited to take part in the pit walk and autograph session, which is all part of the free event.

Provisional Timetable for The Prologue

Friday 27 March

09:00 – 13:00 Session 1

14:00 - 18:00 Session 2

19:00 – 21:00 Session 3

Saturday 28 March

09:00 – 13:00 Session 4

13:15 – 13:45 Autograph Session and Pitwalk

14:00 – 17:00 Session 5

2015 Le Mans 24 Hours
    Only 100 days to go!

In 100 days, Saturday 13th June at 15h00, the 56 cars entered for the 83rd Le Mans 24 Hours will be unleashed. The third round of the 2015 FIA World Endurance Championship is the pinnacle of the year, and from the number of reservations pouring in it’s obvious that people can’t wait for the day to arrive!

Boosted by the growing interest of manufacturers the field in the LM P1 category, whose technical regulations came into force in 2014 and give pride of place to technological innovation, comprises 14 cars.
    Although the four major manufacturers which have entered works cars – Audi, Nissan, Porsche and Toyota – have made radically different technical choices there’s little to choose between them in terms of potential.

Toyota, winner of the 2014 world endurance championship, will be out to clinch a trophy that keeps slipping through its fingers, and is making victory at Le Mans its priority objective. Audi has emerged on top in the last five races (with a lot of help from Tréluyer, Fässler and Lotterer), and is determined to add a 14th success in the Sarthe to its laurels to close in on the record of 16 wins held by Porsche. The Stuttgart firm, which made its comeback to the blue riband category in 2014, is returning to the Le Mans circuit with greater ambitions after finishing the 2014 season on a high note thanks to some excellent results. Nissan’s comeback to the summit of endurance racing after a 16-year absence is also eagerly awaited.

The GT-R NISMO created a sensation when it was unveiled in an ad during the Super Bowl because of its radically innovative design. The car is currently on display at the Geneva International Motor Show where it is one of the star attractions.

Once again the LM P2 category has the lion’s share of entries with 20 cars. Above all it had attracted 10 different chassis, all of which are in with a chance of following in the footsteps of the Jota Sport team that wrapped up victory in 2014 with its Zytek Z11SN-Nissan driven by Dolan, Tincknell and Turvey.

The LM GTE Pro category (nine entries) does not have as many cars and the four manufacturers in contention for victory, Aston Martin, Corvette, Ferrari and Porsche, will not give any quarter. Last year first place went to Ferrari and its magic trio, Fisichella, Bruni and Vilander, after an awesome battle. Picking a winner is a risky business and the same goes for the LM GTE Am category (13 cars), in which Aston Martin came out on top in 2014 thanks to Poulsen, Hansson and Thiim in their Vantage GTE.

In addition, the English manufacturer will put on a show with the Aston Martin Festival compromising some 60 racing cars from the last 11 years, one of the curtain-raisers to the 83rd Le Mans 24 Hours. The other event on the morning of Saturday 13th June is organised by Le Mans Legend and it has attracted a bumper entry of 61 cars that wrote some of the most glorious pages in the history of the race between 1949 and 1968. All kinds of entertainment will be in full swing in the village to the delight of the spectators, especially the eagerly-awaited concerts whose particularly attractive acts will be revealed in the near future.

The majority of the 168 drivers entered will have got to grips with the track at the Le Mans 24-Hours test day on 31st May. Before that, the first two rounds of the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) will have taken place on the Silverstone (12th April) and Spa (2nd May) circuits, as well as the first round of the 2015 European Le Mans Series (11th April, Silverstone).

Before 31st May the American teams entered for the Tudor United SportsCar Championship will have already raced in five rounds of the series in North America to optimise their preparation for the Sarthe challenge.

Given this mouth-watering programme don’t waste a second and reserve your places for the 83rd Le Mans 24 Hours on 13-14 June – now!
    List of entries on 23rd February 2015

Ticket office
    Only three grandstands still available!

A warning to spectators: the grandstand seats for the 83rd Le Mans 24 Hours are selling like hot cakes! With 100 days to go to the race seats are available in only the following grandstands: 1 (in Tertre Rouge), 3 (La Chapelle corner with a great view on the run down from the Dunlop chicane and the Tertre Rouge Esses) and 11 (the Wimille Grandstand, well-situated in the Dunlop curve).The other 14 grandstands are already full!

It’s the same story in the camp sites: out of the fifteen, Beauséjour is the only one in which some free spaces are still available.

Of course, there are still general enclosure tickets on sale, but don’t waste a second and buy your tickets, your grandstand supplements and welcome zones now.

Reservations on line on www.24h-lemans.com. By telephone on 33 (0)2 43 40 8000 (standard rate).

Practical information
    The 2015 Le Mans 24 Hours
    83rd running
    3rd round of the 2015 FIA World Endurance Championship

Dates : 13-14 June 2015

General enclosure ticket price: 56,25 euros (ACO members) 75 euros (non ACO members).

Free for young people born after 14th June 1999 accompanied by an adult.

Test day: Sunday 31st May 2015.

Scrutineering and administrative checks: Sunday 7th and Monday 8th June 2015.

Free practice and qualifying: Wednesday 10th and Thursday 11th June 2015.

Start of the 83rd Le Mans 24 Hours: Saturday 13th June 2015 at 15h00.

Information: www.24h-lemans.com

Facebook: 24 Heures du Mans – ACO Official

Twitter: @24hoursoflemans Hashtag : #LM24

WebTV : Lemans-tv.com

Last edited by Rob; 5th March 2015 at 15:12.

shot from video, not great but the best i could do...

http://i61.tinypic.com/23m0p46.png
    Thanks Rob! Looks great as I can see

few pictures from Sebring, Audi Nissan Porsche and ESM are testing there. New Audi looks very interesting.Looks like got some air ducts at the front, the whle front of the R18 looks alot better this year.

First, Nissan GTR LMP1..

R18..

Mechanical problem curtails Nissan's Sebring LMP1 test

Nissan was forced to call an early end to this week's test at Sebring with its new GT-R LM NISMO World Endurance Championship contender.

The radical LMP1 ran at the Florida circuit on Monday and Tuesday before a component failure resulted in the Japanese manufacturer abandoning a test that could have continued until Friday.

Nissan was piggy-backing onto an Audi test, at which the German marque had one of its heavily-revised 2015 e-tron quattros present, but wasn't committed to running on all five days.

GT-R LM technical director Ben Bowlby told AUTOSPORT: "It was actually a very minor thing, but we just don't have a spare here."

He refused to specify the exact component that had failed, but said it was was "to do with the engine mounting".

Bowlby explained that Nissan had chosen to test at the bumpy Sebring International Raceway to "accelerate the durability cycle".

"We've spent a lot of time at Austin, which is very smooth, so we wanted to come to a particularly harsh environment like Sebring," he continued.

He claimed that the Nissan completed a total of 68 laps over the two days, but wouldn't disclose lap times.

Marc Gene and Olivier Pla undertook all of those laps, while Jann Mardenborough, Harry Tincknell and new signing Max Chilton were present but did not drive.

It remained undecided yesterday whether Nissan will attempt to run the first GT-R LM again ahead of the official WEC test at Paul Ricard on March 27-28, at which it will be present with only one car.

The Sebring test for Nissan followed two runs at Austin totaling nine days either side of Christmas, and a test last month at Palm Beach International Raceway (formerly Moroso), as well as straightline testing at Michelin's US proving ground in North Carolina.

Bowlby confirmed that the GT-R LM was not running its rear hybrid system, which has been conceived only to deploy power harvested from the front axle.

He could not confirm that Nissan had decided against racing this system in the interests of weight saving nor which of the four classes of hybrid power the GT-R LM would run in this season.

LMP1 manufacturers must complete the homologation of their respective challengers next week, and declare the hybrid class in which their design will run for the full season.

Audi is running a solo new-spec R18 at Sebring this week, and concentrating on putting mileage on the car without undertaking a full-blown endurance test.

The Extreme Speed Motorsports squad is also present with both the ARX-4b coupe and the open-top ARX-03b.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117911