Thread: F1 should think again as 'MYTH' tracks disappear - Imola

Question F1 should think again as 'MYTH' tracks disappear - Imola

F1's historic venues are struggling to write the next chapters of the sport.

Germany looks set to fall off the 2015 calendar, and other traditional hosts like France and also Imola, the former Italian venue of the annual San Marino grand prix, are no longer represented.

That is despite Imola's Enzo e Dino Ferrari track having recently secured full approval after an inspection by Charlie Whiting, circuit director Pietro Benvenuti told f1web.it.

"In June, Charlie Whiting inspected the circuit and reconfirmed a first grade licence which expires in June 2017," he revealed.

"That means (Imola) has all the technical requirements to accommodate any FIA race, including formula one," Benvenuti added.

The report, however, said there is no chance Imola will be returning to the calendar any time soon.

"It is not a problem of infrastructure, but the costs that would be incurred in hosting a grand prix," said Benvenuti.

"In the current context, no circuit is able to meet these costs without the support of political institutions or generous sponsors," he added.

"It is my belief that formula one should think again, taking into account the changed economic conditions and the risk that none of the race tracks that created the very myth of F1 will be there anymore."

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/daily...r+-+Imola.html
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    F1's historic venues are struggling to write the next chapters of the sport.

Germany looks set to fall off the 2015 calendar, and other traditional hosts like France and also Imola, the former Italian venue of the annual San Marino grand prix, are no longer represented.

That is despite Imola's Enzo e Dino Ferrari track having recently secured full approval after an inspection by Charlie Whiting, circuit director Pietro Benvenuti told f1web.it.

"In June, Charlie Whiting inspected the circuit and reconfirmed a first grade licence which expires in June 2017," he revealed.

"That means (Imola) has all the technical requirements to accommodate any FIA race, including formula one," Benvenuti added.

The report, however, said there is no chance Imola will be returning to the calendar any time soon.

"It is not a problem of infrastructure, but the costs that would be incurred in hosting a grand prix," said Benvenuti.

"In the current context, no circuit is able to meet these costs without the support of political institutions or generous sponsors," he added.

"It is my belief that formula one should think again, taking into account the changed economic conditions and the risk that none of the race tracks that created the very myth of F1 will be there anymore."

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/daily...r+-+Imola.html
    I have been to Imola last summer to look around! One of my favourite tracks ever! Sadly most of the grandstands didn't look very well and the track isn't really great maintainend!
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    I have been to Imola last summer to look around! One of my favourite tracks ever! Sadly most of the grandstands didn't look very well and the track isn't really great maintainend!
    I loved this track, such a shame F1 lost it but yeah its all about the money these days.
    Question: how did you get there & I take it you can go and visit the Ayrton Senna memoriam? Can you actually get into the race track.

Quote Originally Posted by grinchy View Post
    I loved this track, such a shame F1 lost it but yeah its all about the money these days.
    Question: how did you get there & I take it you can go and visit the Ayrton Senna memoriam? Can you actually get into the race track.
    Ciao grinchy! I walked around the circuit but it was not possible to actually get on the track! You can visit the Ayrton Senna Statue though because it's in a parc whkch is accessable for free!
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I think it's been that way for awhile now. No circuit can sustain itself for F1 events through sales of tickets alone. They need the government help in paying the hosting fee, which should not be a handout, but rather as an investment in the nation's tourism industry.

It would be good to see a series of F1 races run on the old traditional tracks of Europe. Imola and some of the old French tracks plus Silverstone, Spa, Zanvoort , Monza & Monaco. A European series for a European sport? It would not need to be a W.D.C. series , could even be run using the previous years cars.

Just day dreaming !

Yea, but no one is using it, are they? They could run the WEC there.
    Id hate to see it disappear, but really, it has. I like Imola

I think for the older venues, its time their respective government step up and refurbish the area/stands n all....
    heck, I even feel bored of my own F1 circuit here in my backyard.........
    when the government doesnt want to spend or invest.......n let the circuit rot.....things like this could happen..

F1 circuits should be more utilized other then F1........i think thats the main problem of many circuits....just my simple 2cents..

p/s I surely want imola to stay

What ever happened to New Jersey? It would have been great for me a New York City F1 fan, just a short swim and I'm there!