Thread: Formula 1 to cut back to just two pre-season tests in 2016

Thumbs down Formula 1 to cut back to just two pre-season tests in 2016

By Ian Parkes and Dieter Rencken Tuesday, July 21st 2015, 12:27 GMT

Formula 1 will run only two tests in 2016, both at Barcelona pre-season, AUTOSPORT has learned.

With a record-breaking 21-race calendar for next year on the cards, a decision has been taken to limit the number of test days in the build-up to the opening grand prix in Australia on April 3.

In stark contrast to recent seasons when three or four four-day pre-season tests have been held, the 10 teams will now have only eight days to prepare their cars before Melbourne.

Both tests will take place at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya, with the first from March 1-4 and the second running from March 15-18.

In another change, and for the first time since 2011, there will also be no in-season testing.

Teams have often used in-season tests over the past four years to give their reserve drivers a run out, or to run the rule over young up-and-coming names.

This year two two-day in-season tests took place at Barcelona, and also the Red Bull Ring in Austria, with a number of prospects given a chance.

But such an avenue for those looking to put themselves on the radar of F1's teams is blocked for next year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120046
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Just get worse and worse.

Yah, I heard about this. This is absolutely ridiculous. How are teams supposed to develop cars now? Perhaps they should save money by doing underside downforce production rather than aerodynamic downforce production which is very expensive.
    Vous resterez toujours en nos coeurs, Jules.

Again R.I.P. Formula 1!!!

I am glad I was there to watch once this great motor sport and witness some of the greatest moments from 1980 till nowadays....

More and more stupidity coming out of the FIA. It would seem they want to kill off the sport..
    President, Scuderia Ferrari Club of Denver - The Official Passion
    http://www.scuderiaferrari.club
    denver@scuderiaferrari.club

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Again R.I.P. Formula 1!!!

I am glad I was there to watch once this great motor sport and witness some of the greatest moments from 1980 till 2013....
    there Stefa, i fixed that for you..i'm pretty sure that is exactly what you meant...ever since they went to V6 turbo (2014), F1 has gone down and down and down and.......well NO WONDER it is losing so much audience

oh well, i like you am glad i lived and witnessed some of the GREATER YEARS OF FORMULA 1....

as we all know it, F1 will NEVER be the same
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Just get worse and worse.
    They can cut it back to one and then to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    They can cut it back to one and then to zero.
    then im afraid that WOULD be the death of F1. Must be the only sport in the world where teams can not test/practice. Imagine football clubs being told can only train twice at the start of the year then thats it.

They cut left and right but they do not cut what needs to be cut - I'm sorry to say this but it needs to be said - The Dwarf.

Bernie and the FIA keep adding races where the money seems to be available to stage them, but most of these countries don't have a motor-sport or F1 history and after the first race, the audiences tend to dwindle, viz Korea, India and China. There may be hopefully 21 races in 2016 which pushes teams to the limit but how the hell are they supposed to develop their cars, we'll end up with another one-make domination and no chance to catch up. It seems that the powers that be want to justify their existence by adding rules, regulations and destinations which will seal the demise of the European season and F1 with it.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    there Stefa, i fixed that for you..i'm pretty sure that is exactly what you meant...ever since they went to V6 turbo (2014), F1 has gone down and down and down and.......well NO WONDER it is losing so much audience

oh well, i like you am glad i lived and witnessed some of the GREATER YEARS OF FORMULA 1....

as we all know it, F1 will NEVER be the same
    Thank you!

Every word of yours... Well said!!!

then im afraid that WOULD be the death of F1. Must be the only sport in the world where teams can not test/practice. Imagine football clubs being told can only train twice at the start of the year then thats it.
    So many stupidity nowadays in F1?!?!?!?

I never could understand where no testing saves money..sure the travel etc..
    I can see the news now---"""Pit stops become much longer due to the teams, along with changing tires,
    change aero parts with pit stops lasting 30 to 40 minutes long in the races..All races become enduro's
    that take all day to run."""
    THis is such a shame..If they really wanted the teams to save money, they really couldve done it by keeping the V8's..that alone wouldve saved millions.
    How devastating it is for F1 to be let out to dry. Its as if someone is actually trying to kill it off....

This season we saw some teams struggling to prepare their PU and be competitive. I think taking away testing time will only further make the problem worse, especially with no mid season testing. I think we can all agree that seeing the performance order not changing at all throughout the season is bad.

Having more races is nice, it brings in more money. But what good is it if we don't have competition.

What is the idea behind cutting down on pre-season tests? Do they really want to turn away fans of the sport and slowly kill F1?

As rightly mentioned on this thread, I am glad that I got to see true F1 from the mid 1990s till about 2012/13. Honestly, I find myself not getting excited for a race weekend for quite some time now.. I really miss the old F1...
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

F1 is a business

It's a business.
    F1 make no money on testing. The teams wants to cut cost. Bernie doesn't wanna share more money with the teams.

So what to do ? The teams don't get much out of attacking Bernie, so they go to the FIA and they cut testing so the teams can cut cost and be able to stay in F1.

Sports today reflects our society and our governments. All run by big business.
    So if you think business cares about the sport, the fans, the world, Then I'm sorry to say, that your a bit naive. Business cares about profit and only about profit.
    Seats are empty at some tracks, but Bernie don't really care. He makes more money on TV.

http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3536_1.gif

You could not have said it better ! Todt should issue team orders, his specialty, that all teams must test/Practice more. I wonder if Bernie is trying to keep Merc up front for another few seasons $$$$$ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    You could not have said it better ! Todt should issue team orders, his specialty, that all teams must test/Practice more. I wonder if Bernie is trying to keep Merc up front for another few seasons $$$$$ ?
    I can't see how Mercs staying up front is making money for Bernie. Unless he's counting for the occasional race where they mess up, i doubt this is better for the sport than say, 2012 where Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren and sometimes Williams, Sauber and Force India fought for race wins.
    *sigh* who knows when we'll see another 2012...
    Vous resterez toujours en nos coeurs, Jules.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerKing View Post
    I can't see how Mercs staying up front is making money for Bernie. Unless he's counting for the occasional race where they mess up, i doubt this is better for the sport than say, 2012 where Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren and sometimes Williams, Sauber and Force India fought for race wins.
    *sigh* who knows when we'll see another 2012...
    Your right. I just meant possibly behind closed doors. I hope I'm wrong. The cut backs etc. just seem contrary to Bernie trying to get the other teams to even the field.

Things are never so bad that those donkeys can't make them worse.

This isn't Formula 1 anymore.
    Forza Ferrari

Well 1 solution would be to let the teams test as much as they want (can afford)
    or as little as they want...I mean, we have our own track...there would be no
    max or minimum..go on n do your thing..Man, that would be a gas...

Lucky you can't kill anything witch is dead already...
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

F1 should take their business models from the NFL if they want a level playing field. NFL takes all their revenue from tv and put it in a pot and split it evenly with the 32 NFL teams. F1 seems more money go to Bernie than divided between the 11 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by RSKS240 View Post
    F1 should take their business models from the NFL if they want a level playing field. NFL takes all their revenue from tv and put it in a pot and split it evenly with the 32 NFL teams. F1 seems more money go to Bernie than divided between the 11 teams.
    Each team is then a franchise. Its up to each team then to make a profit. Through Merch, and other things.

Idea

I don't think Bernie would ever let this fly. Unless Bernie would get the same stupid tax exception as NFL has.
    I think it's fair that the winning team gets a money price, but perhaps the winning price could be less and all teams gets a share. I think that would be a good solution.

What do you think ?
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3536_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Well 1 solution would be to let the teams test as much as they want (can afford)
    or as little as they want...I mean, we have our own track...there would be no
    max or minimum..go on n do your thing..Man, that would be a gas...
    Nova, your solution is too correct, too logical. I only wish you were in charge!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Nova, your solution is too correct, too logical. I only wish you were in charge!
    lol, u dont want me in charge...
    Id do dumb things like, my testing idea..V8's, larger wings, bigger tires, lighter cars, unlimited testing, qualifying as it was a few years ago, 3 tire mftrs, even money distribution, and Id make lewis hamilton where a mustache..a fake one...all the time...I also wouldnt allow Lauda at any of the races for fear he would say something else so absurdly stupid that he would have to be gagged, handcuffed and taken away in a padded wagon.

This last sunday morning I got up and put on a race from 02, then one from 97..man do I miss F1. What happened?

What really F1 should do is take their models from ten years ago. I love F1 but watching previous season I think it was much better before...
    They get confused with so many rules and restrictions that they don't even know why they put them...