Thread: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H Development thread.

IMO, we can never draw any conclusions from testing as we do not know who's doing exactly what. Maybe we can guess, but that's about it.

But with that said, I'm looking forward to the start of the season. I think we can be optimistic for a strong season. Win or not we'll have to wait and see, but I feel Ferrari should be able to trouble Merc more than last season.

any updates coming on the car ? any heard anything ?

Apparently Mercedes guys are expecting an aero upgrade for Ferrari in Melbourne, considering the car basically had zero upgrades through these 8 testing days. Although I seriously doubt this, because I'm not sure why would we not use at least one last day of testing to try some updates if we had them.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...-10605748.html
    Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time.

I am sure we will see some small changes in Melbourne, as we saw last year, apart from the big changes in Spain, they brought small changes to most races.
    Last edited by jragona; 5th March 2016 at 17:27.

I wonder why Ferrari has been so tight lipped about bringing any updates. Even mclaren has announced that they will bring a lot of updates to Melbourne.

If they aren't bringing anything could this mean we are fairly confident of our current package which I think can be positive in a way. We'll find out soon I guess.

Last season, pretty much all of the updates that were bolted on throughout the season worked. If all of the figures from testing are correct then there is no need to bring the updates to winter testing.

I wouldn't read anything into the race sim times. When Seb did his yesterday, according to Turrini, the weather wasn't very good. Also he didn't appear to be pushing as much.

On day 3 of Ted's notebook, him and Craig Slater were stood at turn 3. The cars that were on the circuit were Merc, Ferrari, Williams, Mclaren and FI. Merc and Ferrari were in a totally different league to the rest of the cars. They looked like they were on rails. The others looked skittish. Looking at the times and the visuals, I'd say Merc and Ferrari were sandbagging. Even Ted was fawning over the Ferrari.
    Forever Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Haris View Post
    Apparently Mercedes guys are expecting an aero upgrade for Ferrari in Melbourne, considering the car basically had zero upgrades through these 8 testing days. Although I seriously doubt this, because I'm not sure why would we not use at least one last day of testing to try some updates if we had them.

If the team came to melbourne With an aero upgrade It will be a very good sign of correlation between simulators and track.
    I īm pretty sure we will see a new front wing

All in all I feel hopeful going into Melbourne.

I thought there was talk of Ferrari trying an S duct in the winter tests? Anyone remember hearing that?
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by xispas View Post
    The ferrari SF16-H with this extra 2 tailpipes sounds very fine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu3MvfBRpiQ

Think they said that this rule will be 10% more loud ... part of the increase in noise improves performance in some other aspect? It makes it faster or powerful?

Article 5.8.2 of the 2016 FIA Technical Regulations

Engine exhaust systems must have only a single turbine tailpipe exit and either one or two wastegate tailpipe exits which must all be rearward facing and through which all exhaust gases must pass.
    I think they said that this rule will be 10% more loud ...
    fantastic footage thank you for sharing
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

Quote Originally Posted by xispas View Post
    The ferrari SF16-H with this extra 2 tailpipes sounds very fine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu3MvfBRpiQ

Think they said that this rule will be 10% more loud ... part of the increase in noise improves performance in some other aspect? It makes it faster or powerful?

Article 5.8.2 of the 2016 FIA Technical Regulations

Engine exhaust systems must have only a single turbine tailpipe exit and either one or two wastegate tailpipe exits which must all be rearward facing and through which all exhaust gases must pass.
    I think they said that this rule will be 10% more loud ...

If wastegate activates a lot that's not good because that means MGU H is not harvesting enough energy. MguH basically serves to harvest energy and while its harvesting then turbine needs to work harder and on that way there is not that much overboosting. Thats what i'm understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong

Ferrari has caught up again over the winter from a performance point. No wonder. The Italians have again served in Brixworth. The Ferrari and Mercedes engine now have some common features that can not be a coincidence.

Ferrari started the tests with vibration problems, oil loss and trouble in the gasoline system. This led to several motor-cycles. Since the denials of the press department of no avail. It was not until the sixth day of the test was a modified unit in the cars of Ferrari, Sauber and HaasF1. And exactly from there the Ferrari team reeled off distances from 100 laps and more per day.
    From AMUS today.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...mpaign=Formel1

Just cross my mind.We havent talk at all about tokens!!Any ideas??I think i read somewhere(maybe here too) that Mercs have only spend 7 of theirs.We....??
    Last edited by PURE PASSION; 7th March 2016 at 13:22.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

hmmm it seems the Ferrari is taller than the Mercedes but the same height as the torro rosso and Sauber...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

I think its the canera angle, if you notice the merc and ferrari (front view) the top of the nose,air box & raised sides are higher on the Ferrari pic

Does the new modified specs engine has more power or less than the problem one?
    #PrayforMH370 #KeepFightingSchumi

Specifications Ferrari SF16-H
    Modell: Ferrari SF16-H
    Motor: Ferrari 059-5
    Gasoline: Shell
    Wheels Manufacturer: OZ
    Brakes: Brembo
    Long: 5057 mm
    Wheelbase: 3,494 mm (2014: 3,508 mm)
    Front overhang: 995 mm
    Angle: 1.4 °
    http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...-10557419.html

It appears that new car is actually slightly shorter then the old car. Also, Merc seems to be considerably longer.

Specifications Mercedes W07
    Modell: Mercedes W07
    Motor: Mercedes PU106C Hybrid
    Benzin: Petronas
    Wheels Manufacturer: Advanti
    Brakes: Brembo
    Long: 5067 mm
    Wheelbase: 3,500 mm (2014: 3,441 mm)
    Front overhang: 1,001 mm
    Angle: 1.0 °

So a shorter wheelbase is better in corners and slower in straights or which is which? Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by bondilad View Post
    So a shorter wheelbase is better in corners and slower in straights or which is which? Any idea?
    Shorter chassis is usually more agile which is especially important at slower circuits, while a longer one is more stable. The longer chassis is also likely to produce more downforce, but here we are talking very fine margins

Just another small detail!!
    Attachment 6670
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haris View Post

That is what is called not letting your competitor know your strength. Ferrari used wind tunnel to test component's they are sure will work in Melbourne. Ferrari ran a basic car during 8 days testing while merc was show boating I guess.

Ferrari and Mercedes both are not showing their cards yet as far as speed goes. Ferrari obviously has the speed advantage this year in my opinion based off of early testing and what teams have said. The only question for Ferrari is-do they have the reliability to consistently win? I'm not so sure they do. Look to see the Ferrari on a lot of poles this year though Mercedes will split the Ferraris this year on reliability alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cokata View Post
    Shorter chassis is usually more agile which is especially important at slower circuits, while a longer one is more stable. The longer chassis is also likely to produce more downforce, but here we are talking very fine margins
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Just another small detail!!
    Attachment 6670
    Glad to see Ferrari is going a bit more aggressive with front wing design. They were very conservative in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyrob View Post
    Ferrari and Mercedes both are not showing their cards yet as far as speed goes. Ferrari obviously has the speed advantage this year in my opinion based off of early testing and what teams have said. The only question for Ferrari is-do they have the reliability to consistently win? I'm not so sure they do. Look to see the Ferrari on a lot of poles this year though Mercedes will split the Ferraris this year on reliability alone.
    I will believe Ferrari have a speed advantage when I see it on the track.

Just a little over a week away from knowing. The pressure is on Ferrari and I know they can deliver. Vettel is happy and that means he knows they have a fast car.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I will believe Ferrari have a speed advantage when I see it on the track.
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Agreed. For some it is all or nothing but this year, better than lasy year is very good and progress, no huge title challenge is not a tragedy although it would be most welcome. I dream of huge Ferrari domination but a solid 5 wins a few poles and pushing Merc into split strategies and huge pressure in 15 races would be very good if we remember where Ferrari were in 2014 and the limits on testing and engine tokens.