Thread: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H Development thread.

The livery does look rather 'busy' now that we've had a better look, and the black and white portions make it more so, more could have been made of the Italian colours too, but at least the nose is better than the last 2 years, even with the hump! Let's hope it's a winner from the start.

Maybe explanation of those huge tightening rear.

Scabs explained

An increasing trend since the 2014 regs were brought in is to raise the gearbox case clear of the floor beneath, aided by the higher mandatory crankshaft position up to 90mm from 58mm, this means the casing can shrink inwards around the rear inboard suspension and the gear cluster mounted towards the centre of the case. Doing this allows the stepped floor to merge into the lower central step to direct more airflow across the full width of the diffuser. Shrinking in the sidepods and the undercut under the gearbox will be more noticeable this year, looking like the rear of the car is cantilevered over the floor. Ferrari are rumored to have repositioned the MGU-K s on its PU specifically to allow this narrowing.
    Gearbox_comparison-725x1024.jpg
    Ferrari = 235 victories + 219 pole positions + 248 fastest laps = constructors championships 16

This is a detail of the rear undercut... great job, by the way
    ferrari-sf16-h_rear_detail.jpg
    Last edited by Galvonero; 19th February 2016 at 17:45.

Max Yamabiko: Ferrari SF16-H - A closer technical look

If you're a Ferrari fan, keep reading - its effort for the 2016 F1 season is, the SF16-H, is a remarkable piece of engineering.

A huge amount of work has gone into the design and optimisation of the SF16-H. I am very surprised a quite how different machine this is to either the 2014 or 2015 cars, especially considering that there really was not a lot wrong with the SF15-T.

Ferrari's choice of an online and social media friendly launch has allowed the Italians to skimp on the amount of technical information available about the new design, so I thought I would start with the parts which were not that discussed during the launch.

Power unit

The new power unit in the car is substantially different to that of 2015 (itself a major departure from Luca Marmorini's much criticised size zero unit of 2014). Ferrari has left almost nothing in the unit untouched but the biggest changes come around the V6 combustion engine. The charge air cooler has been relocated from its original and rather odd location between the cylinder banks to a new location (I think in one of the sidepods) while the space it has freed up has allowed Ferrari to introduce a variable inlet system. In 2015 the Ferrari was the only power unit not to use the technology which was re-introduced at the start of the year.

But this is not the only change, Ferrari is reported to have relocated the MGU-H into some of the volume freed up by the charge air cooler move, while the turbo is of a totally new design aimed at further improving efficiency and thus power. The Magneti Marelli supplied MGU-K which has been mounted at the rear of the V6 block in the bell housing area is rumoured to have been moved to a more conventional spot under the left hand side exhaust manifold.

More tantalising is the work Ferrari has done inside the engine, in particular in the combustion chamber. I read some reports that the Italians have managed some kind of partly compression based ignition, I assume with the spark completing the work. I know that the current F1 V6's engines are very extreme in this respect but perhaps not as much as that. Nonetheless it has been confirmed that Ferrari have made some major gains in the combustion chamber which have required new types of fuel pump to be used as well as a new fuel from Shell.

The turbocharger plays a role in this too and it has been significantly redesigned and slightly relocated, notably the cooling louvres for it which were present on all Ferrari powered cars in 2014 and 2015 have vanished. It maybe some of this excess heat is lost through the two new waste-gate exhausts which sit either side of the tail pipe.

The cooler arrangement has been substantially revised too with the charge air cooler now located in one of the sidepods the large louvred coolers of the SF15-T will have to have been changed somehow details are scare for now but the sidepods are pretty tight so it could be something really innovative.

Aerodynamics

Overall the aerodynamic package on the new car is quite different to that of 2015, the new nose is an instant sign of that. The front impact structure is much shorter than the one used on the SF15-T and is extremely close to the one used by Sauber last year in terms of concept. It looks to me a bit like Ferrari tried to achieve a Mercedes style nose but could not quite get the structures right to get that through the crash tests. That said during the launch the technical staff were keen to highlight the change so maybe it is a concept choice.

Getting the nose so much higher and getting more air under it has a substantial impact on the flow structures around the wheels and front wing endplates as well as along the whole side of the car. I would not be shocked to see a huge amount of variations of chassis 'ears' and 'barge boards' being tested in this area in the early part of the season. The front brake ducts too will be a key area of development. Indeed it would not shock me at all to see a new design of wheel in use at Barcelona as well as possible 'blown nuts'.

Downstream of the front end there is another fascinating feature of this 'ambitious' new car. The airbox has a big dimple behind it. I'm not sure if this is to do with something to do with the inlet tract or some external airflow reason but it is very interesting and I wait to see what developments Ferrari bring in this area.

At the rear of the car the bodywork is really quite tight and neat, probably the result of the reworked power unit.

Structures

Indeed it is clear to me that Ferrari's work has not been limited to just aerodynamics and power unit – the front suspension is a totally new concept compared to the '14 and '15 cars in that it is now a conventional pushrod layout. The torsion bars and dampers have been relocated to the top of the chassis, something which Ferrari claims saves weight but clearly has the side effect of raising the centre of gravity slightly.

The chassis is conventional with the nose pushed quite high, the new driver head protection seems to have had little impact on the overall structure. At the rear the transmission is a one piece carbon fibre unit with integrated bell housing accommodating the rear suspension components, hydraulics, turbine, and possibly the exhaust collectors as in 2015. The rear suspension is still pull rod but I hear a rumour that working with Brembo Ferrari may be planning to introduce a one piece upright and calliper unit to reduce un-sprung weight.

Ferrari is clearly going all out to catch up with Mercedes and if this car works well then it is clear that it will be one of the most interesting technical development stories of the season.

-Max Yamabiko

Sidepods!!!
    Attachment 6616
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

A very very beautiful picture!!!!!
    Cant wait to see it on track!!!!!!
    Attachment 6617
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Did you recognize this rear suspension upper arm Y design, pretty impressive!

2016-02-19_202739.jpg

Or those undecuts

2016-02-19_203224.jpg

Guys, I do not want to spoil the party, but noone knows how she performs by looking at her. I wish her to be the fastest and just enough reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    Guys, I do not want to spoil the party, but noone knows how she performs by looking at her. I wish her to be the fastest and just enough reliable.
    Well, I believe we all are aware of it, but we can't deny that it's a beauty, and the design details are encouraging (i think we are the ones truly building a car with Maca's size zero concept). And we spent so much time wondering how it would be, that we can't stop staring at it. In a certain sense, I guess as ferrari fans, we all feel she's a litle bit ours... in terms of pure performance, we just have to wait a few more days to start that assessment. But These are the first days, so I sure expect some reliability issues, but that is inevitable when you strech design boundaries!

But most important of it all, either I like the livery, either I appreciate it's design, either it is reliable or not, THAT'S MY CAR, THAT IS MY TEAM, and it will have my full support, no mater what!

FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Apparently Ferrari had plans innitially to have as well a Mercedes-like nose but feared to fail the crash tests and so lose precious time. What if a B-spec nose could come mid-season or sometime during this year? I might be wrong, but if they did innitially all the calculations with such kind of nose, it sounds plausible.

What do you think?
    Ferrari per sempre !

I do like the new livery, although I always prefer more red color, but this red/white retro livery is cool too. And the car itself looks very neat and tidy in every aspect. Clearly a lot of changes and improvements have been made in every area of the car. I'm especially admiring that super tight packaging at the rear. Overall the car definitely looks more aggressive in design than last year's car. How it will perform on track compared to last year's car remains to be seen, but the first impressions are certainly very positive and good. This is the first car designed completely under James Allison's supervision so I'm really hoping it will be an absolute beast on the track. To sum up: The SF16-H looks fantastic imo, and the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Bring on testing!

KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

It looks like we are using Blown wheel nuts at the rear as well

A shot of the rake of the new car -

F1 show biz 2016 :
    Toto - "Ferrari are a real threat" .... Nico - "Awesome, everything is just awesome" .....Lulu - "Mental strength man, lifestyle man, I'll drive at 400% as ever man".... and then suddenly a wild Bull out of nowhere slams into a Ferrari.

KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Interestingly Ferrari is one of the last teams left that use the sidepods to vent the hot air from the radiators, instead of a big central opening around the exhaust. Other than that this is the best packaged Ferrari to date. It remains to be seen if the concept works as expected, and if that will be enough to have a competitive car

Every Ferrari car and expecialy F1 car is a beauty and I love them all. Thing that is really like finger in my eye is that black color. Frankly it is too much. At the bottom almost OK. But around cocpit.... NO!!! I wonder how SF16-H would look like all in red???

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Every Ferrari car and expecialy F1 car is a beauty and I love them all. Thing that is really like finger in my eye is that black color. Frankly it is too much. At the bottom almost OK. But around cocpit.... NO!!! I wonder how SF16-H would look like all in red???
    Dont worry too much about the colors mate!!!!
    I know what you meen but instead try to watch the beautiful lines!!!!
    Cross your fingers to see P1 in Melbourne and you will forget all about it!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

I can't wait for the testing. It will somehow give us some idea about the car's performance.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Dont worry too much about the colors mate!!!!
    I know what you meen but instead try to watch the beautiful lines!!!!
    Cross your fingers to see P1 in Melbourne and you will forget all about it!!!!
    I know. You re right. Shape is absolute amazing! From your mouth to Gods ears!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    True, but still we can always talk about design advancements (without making declaration that we will win, of course). They may or may not amount to the desirable results, but it is always important for the teams to show progress in order to stay competitive. For example, you can easily see the difference between a top team and a small teams, and these visual (aero) differences are reflected in the performance order.

So, seeing new advancements is always exciting, even if we should not predict the outcome.

i'm a bit confused!!!
    SF16-H has longer or shorter wheelbase from SF15-T???

Here it looks shorter!!
    Attachment 6622

And here it looks a bit longer!!!
    Attachment 6623
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    i'm a bit confused!!!
    SF16-H has longer or shorter wheelbase from SF15-T???

Here it looks shorter!!
    Attachment 6622

And here it looks a bit longer!!!
    Attachment 6623
    was studying her last night, and it does look like the rear suspension mountings are slightly further back.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    was studying her last night, and it does look like the rear suspension mountings are slightly further back.
    So, longer??
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Didn't know rory bryne had a hand on this year's car. Glad to have him around even if only as a consultant.

CblOBHgVAAAWUD2.jpg

Here is the signed picture.