Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425263762 ... LastLast

Thread: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H Development thread.

New F1 crash test a "big job" for teams

By: Jonathan Noble,

Formula 1’s stable regulations may mean that teams can carry over much of their 2015 design concepts for the new season – but there is one area that has delivered a bigger challenge than usual over the winter.

For, what on the outside at first appeared to be a minor change to the rules to improve driver head protection, has actually resulted in a lot of extra legwork for designers – and a much tougher crash test to pass.

Cockpit safety

For 2016, the side protection area around the cockpit has been raised by 20mm to help deliver a bit more coverage of a driver's helmet.

While that dimension change is not much and will be barely noticeable to the naked eye, what has proved to be a hurdle is the fact that the crash test in this area has increased dramatically.

Whereas last year a load of 15kN was applied at a 90-degree angle to ensure this part of the car did not deform, for 2016 a revised rule states that the force has been ramped up to 50kN.

As Article 18.5 of F1’s Technical Regulations states: “Under the load, there must be no structural failure of the inner or outer surfaces of the survival cell.

“This test must be repeated at positions 50mm and 150mm forward of the rear edge of the cockpit opening template longitudinally.”

Significant change

Whereas last year’s big challenge on the crash tests was in getting the short nose concepts to pass, this winter the hurdle has been in passing the tougher cockpit test.

As Mercedes executive director Paddy Lowe explained, it has been a far from straightforward challenge to create the tougher cockpit protection without it being too heavy or impacting on aerodynamic performance.

“It is a very significant increase,” he said in a video released by his Mercedes team. “It is five tonnes of load that the chassis has to take sideways.

“It is intended to significantly increase the protection for the drivers should major pieces of debris, including a whole car, arrive at this point [of the cockpit].”

He added: “It has been a big job for the people concerned with designing chassis, because it is a very significant load increase.

“It is a matter of how you do it with the minimum intrusion to weight or aerodynamic surface. As always, everything is possible – it is how you do it in the best way.”

It is little wonder then that the teams which have already passed the crash test - well-ahead of cars hitting the track at Barcelona on February 22 - are feeling a major sense of relief.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...-teams-669888/
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    Ferrari with different livery this year: more white, similar to the livery used in the 70s.

http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2016...ea-bianco.html
    I'd rather have a pure red ferrari though. That's just me though, I feel the upper half of the car looks separated from the lower half due to the white streak in between

Quote Originally Posted by NenoX View Post
    I'd rather have a pure red ferrari though. That's just me though, I feel the upper half of the car looks separated from the lower half due to the white streak in between
    i totally agree with your comment....i too prefer ALL RED....heck even the bit of black we had last year looks better then that WHITE streak in between the red

hope is just someone's imagination and the real thing will NOT have that white sterak......cause it's ugly
    Last edited by Rob; 27th January 2016 at 12:37.

Oh boy... that white stripe reminds me too much of the lean years at Ferrari having grown up in the 80's, back then we celebrated podiums as if they were race victories... really not a memory I can shake, sadly... I will not be liking this livery...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Oh boy... that white stripe reminds me too much of the lean years at Ferrari having grown up in the 80's, back then we celebrated podiums as if they were race victories... really not a memory I can shake, sadly... I will not be liking this livery...
    Yes but it would remind me of the mid 70's also, n we won good then.
    As far as I see it, Red, all red.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    there u go, from wikipedia

Jock Clear, born 1963 [1] in Portsmouth, Hampshire,[2] is a senior performance engineer working for Scuderia Ferrari, who previously was the engineer for Lewis Hamilton (2013/14) and Michael Schumacher (2011/12). Previously he was race engineer for Nico Rosberg from (2010 to 2012), Rubens Barrichello from (2006 to 2009) and Takuma Sato (from 2003 to 2005).

Clear attended The Portsmouth Grammar School[3] and graduated in 1987 with a degree in mechanical engineering from Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.[4]
    Thank you guys.

Ferrari with different livery this year: more white, similar to the livery used in the 70s.

http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2016...ea-bianco.html
    She's very beautiful!

Scuderia Ferrari, la Scuderia più vincente nella storia della Formula 1.
    16 Titoli Costruttori & 15 Titoli Piloti.

No, please no....

Quote Originally Posted by speedmaster View Post
    No, please no....
    that's my honest opinion about it also...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My vote: All red!!!!!!!
    .But as ever,if she start winning big she's gonna be gorgeous to my eyes,even if she has all the colors of the rainbow!!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

No matter how it looks, if it performs well enough for Hamilton to throw his hissy fits on the radio, the car will be perfect.

Not sure about the white part, makes the car look less fluid and breaks up the shape too much, but if it's competitive from the start, I won't care.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Not sure about the white part, makes the car look less fluid and breaks up the shape too much, but if it's competitive from the start, I won't care.
    Reminds me of the 93 car or worse same era Dallara. I always hated big white bits as also reminded me of those horrid Marlboro McLarens. Saying that would not be as bad if they put Italian colours through the white bit. Ultimate for me would be the 2007 Monaco Red with black wings and Gold wheels.

Maybe it's just me, but a little white seems a tastefull touch. The black looked really ugly and not classy at all. My only question is : can that car with a horse on it beat the Mercedes??

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but a little white seems a tastefull touch. The black looked really ugly and not classy at all. My only question is : can that car with a horse on it beat the Mercedes??
    yeah it would be a tasteful touch, but NOT in the spot it is now...
    maybe a bit of white on the front and rear wings, but where it is now (if it's true that is) is horrendous...

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    yeah it would be a tasteful touch, but NOT in the spot it is now...
    maybe a bit of white on the front and rear wings, but where it is now (if it's true that is) is horrendous...
    why it will go nice with Vettel withe helmet

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFerrariGo! View Post
    It SHOULD be all RED!!! This is very unacceptable to me!!!

why it will go nice with Vettel withe helmet
    SV helmet should be changed to RED, as MS did it!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    My vote: All red!!!!!!!
    .But as ever,if she start winning big she's gonna be gorgeous to my eyes,even if she has all the colors of the rainbow!!!!!!
    Agree, but let's keep it all red!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    It SHOULD be all RED!!! This is very unacceptable to me!!!
    its kind of retro, I like it

Come on guys if team Ferrari want a splash of white or black I see no problem with that, overall when we see Ferrari we see Red, for example take the night race in Singapore Red is what we see on the track and in the pit lane, what I like to see is Ferrari running 1 and 2 and then I see all the colours of the rainbow. Forza Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by mark p View Post
    Reminds me of the 93 car or worse same era Dallara. I always hated big white bits as also reminded me of those horrid Marlboro McLarens. Saying that would not be as bad if they put Italian colours through the white bit. Ultimate for me would be the 2007 Monaco Red with black wings and Gold wheels.
    I agree about those horrible Marlboro Mclarens, and the idea of putting the Italian colours right through it would be an improvement, not just the flash near the driver's head as shown. But I'd also go with all red, with gold wheels, classic Ferrari!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I agree about those horrible Marlboro Mclarens, and the idea of putting the Italian colours right through it would be an improvement, not just the flash near the driver's head as shown. But I'd also go with all red, with gold wheels, classic Ferrari!
    Amen to that!!!!

Attachment 6582

Sorry guys, i still love it. And i might add that i like where the white is. Great job if it looks like this, and hey maybe it will grow on you in time

Not very different from we know-saw till now but here it is(from Gianlu)
    Attachment 6583
    Attachment 6584
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

And another one with a different livery!!!Dont like the colors but love the design especially the tight rear!!!!
    Attachment 6585
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

And another one with a different livery!!!Dont like the colors but love the design especially the tight rear!!!!
    Attachment 6585
    Absolutely disgusting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Sorry guys, i still love it. And i might add that i like where the white is. Great job if it looks like this, and hey maybe it will grow on you in time
    As some one said here it reminds way to much of dreadful 93 season....

Attachment 6585
    I kinda like it

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Would be nice if the white stripes coincide with the car being the fastest out of the box - now that would suddenly change our opinions! I don't like the stripes either, but not wanting it because of its association with Ferrari's failures is purely superstitious :) Move along children, lol.