Thread: 2016 WEC, IWTSC, ELMS thread.

Truthfully, the imsa bop sux.
    Question, do the cars that run the European series and Lemans
    have these silly bop restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Truthfully, the imsa bop sux.
    Question, do the cars that run the European series and Lemans
    have these silly bop restrictions?
    The IMSA and FIA/ACO BoP is different. Thank heavens.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Thats great news..thx Rob..
    At least there we have a chance.
    In Imsa its stacked, but I think with time both Ferrari and
    porsche will be fighting the front.

No SMP Racing Ferrari in 2016

SMP Racing will not defend its world title in GTE-Am, with the Russian squad set to focus on the LMP2 class with its BR Engineering BR01 prototypes in the FIA World Endurance Championship this year.

Sporting director Sergey Zlobin confirmed to Sportscar365 they will not enter a Ferrari in either the GTE-Pro or GTE-Am ranks, despite initially evaluating a step up to the Pro class with the new Ferrari 488 GTE.

The team debuted the new twin-turbo Ferrari in last weekend’s Rolex 24 at Daytona, which Zlobin said is likely to be SMP’s only outing in the GT ranks this year. The Daytona effort was largely run by AF Corse.

SMP’s decision to forgo the GT ranks this year leaves both 2015 GTE-Am champions Andrea Bertolini and Aleksey Basov without rides in the WEC, with Victor Shaytar moving up to its two-car LMP2 effort.

Zlobin confirmed that Kirill Ladygin will complete the lineup in the No. 27 BR01 alongside Nic Minassian and Maurizio Mediani.

Both David Markosov and Russian GP2 driver Sergey Sirotkin, meanwhile, could fill the third seat in the No. 37 car with Shaytar and Vitaly Petrov for the regular season races.

Mikhail Aleshin, who scored the Prototype class pole at Daytona last weekend, will take Ladygin’s seat in the No. 27 car for Le Mans, and Ladygin instead being placed in the No. 37 entry for the French endurance classic.

Scuderia Corsa Leads for Ferrari at Daytona

Team enjoys strong start to GT-LeMans North American Endurance Cup and GT-Daytona championship campaigns

February 2, 2016 (Daytona Beach, Fla.)-It took twenty-four hours of teamwork, but the drivers and crew of Scuderia Corsa prevailed to finish in fourth position in the GT-LeMans class at this weekend's 24 Hours of Daytona.

The result was especially gratifying for the team as the race not only marked the first competition for Scuderia Corsa in the GT-LeMans class, but was also the debut race for the new Ferrari 488 GTE. Drivers Alessandro Pier Guidi, Alexandre Premat, Memo Rojas and Daniel Serra gave the new car a fitting result - a result earned after the team overcame losing the lead lap in the early stages of the race due to a penalty.

With the focus of Scuderia Corsa's GT-LeMans program being the North American Endurance Cup, the team's strategy focused on running near the front of the field at the end of each six-hour championship segment. Throughout the second half of the race, the No. 68 488 GTE emerged as a threat to the factory teams for the victory before the car settled into fourth position after the final pit stops. As a result of that effort, Scuderia Corsa is fifth in points in the North American Endurance Cup, two points behind a four-way championship lead.

"For the first time with Scuderia Corsa, and in my first time in Daytona, fourth place is pretty amazing," said Premat. "The crew and my teammates Memo, Daniel and Alessandro did an amazing job and we pushed as hard as we could to be on the podium. The new Ferrari 488 GTE was excellent. To finish the 24 hours of Daytona, especially in its first time, is a great achievement and we should all be happy. The staff did an amazing job and I am very grateful to the team."

"We did everything to deliver a great finish for the team," said Pier Guidi. "Because the team did everything that they could to bring a great result for Scuderia Corsa and for Ferrari, and we tried as hard as possible to repay them for their effort. The 488 GTE is brand new but Ferrari did a great job with this turbocharged car - it is very quick. I have to say thanks to Scuderia Corsa to give me the possibility to drive this fantastic car, and we are already looking forward to Sebring."

In the GT-Daytona class, Scuderia Corsa's team of Christina Nielsen, Alessandro Balzan, Robert Renauer and Jeff Segal drove a consistent, measured race to finish in seventh position in the GT-Daytona class. Starting from eleventh position, the No. 63 458 Italia remained a fixture within the top ten throughout the race and contended for the lead throughout the night time hours. The team rebounded from mid-race repairs after contact, enabling the Ferrari to score solid championship points.

With an eye on the long season, Nielsen and Balzan were upbeat with their result and the start of their championship campaign.

"This was my best result at Daytona so far, so I am pretty happy with our result," said Nielsen. "Of course as a driver you are never really happy, but stepping back and looking at everything we did, I can't wait to get back with the team for Sebring. Our engineer, Joe LaJoie, said something that was right - as a group we are going to meet challenges, but the question is when and how do we handle that? I think as a team we handled our race really well, and we had a good, steady race."

"Finishing a 24-hour race is never easy, so we have already hit a very good target," said Balzan. We got some very good points for the championship which was important, so this was a good start. A top-five was really possible for the 458, but now it is time to think about Sebring. We now have a weekend with Christina and the team all working together, and we are excited to race the new 488."

Scuderia Corsa Ferraris also competed in the pair of Ferrari Challenge races held at Daytona. Martin Fuentes engaged in a green flag to checkered flag battle for the overall victory in Sunday's race, before finishing in third position. His teammates Darren Enenstein and Neil Langberg successfully completed their first Ferrari Challenge races with Enenstein recording a best result of 12th and Langberg a best result of 14th in the Coppa Shell class.

"This weekend at Daytona represented a complete team effort by Scuderia Corsa," said Giacomo Mattioli, team owner of Scuderia Corsa. "In a 24-hour race you can expect to face many challenges, and we definitely had our share with both our no. 68 and no. 63 cars. The crew was faultless, and our drivers were disciplined and intelligent in their approach to the race. I can say great things about each one of them. In GT-Daytona, we aimed to defend our championship, but I think we were limited by the Balance of Performances adjustments. In GT-LeMans, we were contenders and you can't ask much more than that for a new program with a brand new car."

"It was a very positive week for us in Daytona with the debut of the 488 GTE, as well as beginning our season with Christina and Alessandro in GT-Daytona and the podium of Martin while graduating Darren and Neil from our Driver Development Program to their first Ferrari Challenge races."

The next round of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship will be the 12 Hours of Sebring on March 16-19 at Sebring International Raceway in Sebring, Florida.

CORVETTE C7.RS FINISH 1-2 FOR CLOSEST CLASS FINISH IN ROLEX 24 HISTORY
    GAVIN EDGES GARCIA TO WIN GTLM BY ONLY 0.034 SECONDS

For Corvette Racing, the question entering the 54th Rolex 24 At Daytona was simple: How do you top 2015?

Last year, the team’s pair of Corvette C7.Rs won the Rolex 24, Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh From Florida in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) class and then the team won the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The answer was delivered Sunday in an epic 1-2 finish, with the 2015 Le Mans-winning No. 4 Corvette C7.R of Oliver Gavin edging the 2015 Daytona and Sebring-winning No. 3 Corvette C7.R of Antonio Garcia to the line by 0.034 seconds, the closest class finish in the history of the Rolex 24.

“What you saw today was simply the two best road racers in the world with the two best cars in the world,” said Doug Fehan, Corvette Racing program manager. “You’d be hard pressed to find a better race than this. You don’t spend 23.5 hours working this hard and not let those guys continue to race.”

Fehan assured Garcia once he moved into second that there would be no team orders. After that, the battle for the win was on in the season-opening IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race. Once he shed the No. 912 Porsche 911 RSR of Earl Bamber to take second, Garcia set his sights on Gavin and the two ran nose-to-tail over the final 20 minutes. With three minutes remaining, Garcia briefly passed Gavin entering Turn 1, but ran wide, allowing Gavin to retake the position.

Garcia got a run coming out of the bus stop on the final lap, but came up just short in a drag race to the stripe giving the win to Gavin and co-drivers Tommy Milner and Marcel Fassler. Garcia and co-drivers Jan Magnussen and Mike Rockenfeller finished second, while Bamber rounded out the podium in the No. 912 Porsche North America entry along with Michael Christensen and Frederic Makowiecki.

“All I could think about was my boss, Doug Fehan and what he would say if we did touch,” said Gavin. “Then on the last lap I was thinking I had just enough on him, but then he towed up behind me. It was like the line was just going away from me. I couldn't get to the line fast enough. I've just seen a picture of it, actually, and it was pretty close.”

NOTEBOOK

· The race winners were also the round winners in the Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup. The No. 4 Corvette Racing C7.R entry won the round with 13 points as the result of a tiebreaker over the No. 3 Corvette C7.R and the two Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSRs.

· In its competition, the two Ford GTs showed promise in the early going, but gearbox issues spoiled the two-car Ford Ganassi Racing’s chance at a debut victory. The No. 66 Ford GT finished the race seventh, while the No. 67 Ford GT finished ninth.

· The race was slowed 21 times by caution. The race record was 25 cautions back in 2009.

Source:
    IMSA
    - See more at: http://www.imsa.com/articles/corvett....gS1Wc5X9.dpuf

this was how close it was after 24hrs of hard racing. Didnt really like the finish, but hats off to the team for calling for them to let them race.

They are great race cars. But where are the usual Jake skull logos???

REVISED DRIVER LINE-UP FOR A NEW ERA

Kamui Kobayashi (JPN) Toyota Hybrid Racing World Endurance Championship. 6 Hours of Fuji. 8th-11th October 2015. Fuji Speedway, Japan.
    TOYOTA GAZOO Racing today revealed the driver line-up which will lead it into a new era of World Endurance Championship competition.

A completely new TS050 HYBRID car has been developed for this season, with significant changes to all areas, including monocoque, engine and hybrid system to meet the team’s ambitious performance targets.

On the driver front, 2014 World Champions Anthony Davidson and Sébastien Buemi are again joined by Kazuki Nakajima for a second consecutive season together.
    In the other car, former TOYOTA Formula 1 racer Kamui Kobayashi steps up from test and reserve driver to a race seat for 2016, replacing the retired Alex Wurz. He will race alongside Stéphane Sarrazin and Mike Conway.

Race numbers for the 2016 season will be revealed on 5 February by the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, organisers of the WEC and the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Kamui’s elevation to a race seat leaves a vacancy as test and reserve driver, which will be announced, along with full technical details of the TS050 HYBRID, at a launch event on 24 March at the Paul Ricard circuit in France.

The new driver line-up was announced earlier today at a TOYOTA GAZOO Racing press conference in Tokyo, Japan, at which the team’s new TOYOTA GAZOO Racing identity was also revealed.

As well as an updated logo, a 2015 show car displayed the new black, white and red livery which will be modified for the TS050 HYBRID. This revised colour scheme follows the team’s adoption of the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing name in May last year, signifying the increasing importance of motorsport to TOYOTA.

Toshio Sato, Team President: “Once again, for the 2016 season we will have a very strong driver line-up. Kamui showed his speed and commitment in testing, so it was a relatively easy decision to select him to replace Alex. We know he is capable of doing a good job alongside Stéphane and Mike. I believe we have two strong driver line-ups who will be able to get the best out of the TS050 HYBRID. With this all-new car, 2016 is a big season for us; I believe we have the drivers and the car to succeed.”

Anthony Davidson: “I can’t wait for the new season, especially with a completely new car which we hope will bring us back to the top in WEC. It’s positive to have a stable driver line-up in our car. I have a great working relationship with Sébastien and Kazuki so I expect to be fighting for wins together this year.”

Sébastien Buemi: “I’m happy and proud to be a TOYOTA GAZOO Racing driver in WEC for a fifth season and I’m looking forward to the challenge. Endurance racing is all about team work and I think myself, Anthony and Kazuki make a really strong combination. I like working with them and I’m ready to go racing again.”

Kazuki Nakajima: “It’s great to be part of this team again, alongside Anthony and Sébastien. We learnt a lot together during a difficult 2015 so I believe we will come back stronger this season. We are all motivated to have success with the TS050 HYBRID and everyone is working flat-out to achieve this.”

Stéphane Sarrazin: “I am really proud to be part of the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing in WEC; we have a great spirit and we never stop pushing. I’m happy to be driving with Mike and Kamui. I worked very well with Mike last year and I am sure it will be the same with Kamui. He’s a quick driver and we all share the same determination to win.”
    Mike Conway: “Last season was my first time in an LMP1 at many of the tracks so I was getting stronger at each race. Now I can’t wait for the new season when I have the benefit of that experience. I’d like to welcome Kamui to our car; I’m happy to have him on board and looking forward to working with him.”

Kamui Kobayashi: “I’m really excited to be an LMP1 race driver and I would like to thank TOYOTA for this opportunity. I tested the TS040 HYBRID a few times and it was a seriously impressive car; the power of the hybrid system in particular was amazing. Now I can’t wait to see what the new car feels like; I am sure it will be a big step forward and put us back in the fight at the front. Racing in LMP1 will be a new experience for me and I am looking forward to it a lot. There will be plenty to learn but I know my team-mates will support me and I am sure I can be competitive right from the start. Now my focus is on preparing properly for the new season and being absolutely ready for Silverstone.”
    Last edited by Rob; 4th February 2016 at 07:59.

Senna rejoins WEC in new Morand LMP2 venture

Bruno Senna will race in the World Endurance Championship this season, sharing a Morand Racing-run Ligier with Ricardo Gonzalez and Filipe Albuquerque.

The trio will campaign an LMP2 class Nissan-engined Ligier JS P2 entered under the 'RGR Sport by Morand' banner, with Gonzalez taking up an owner/driver role.

Senna, who will be embarking on his first full WEC season since 2013, and his first in a prototype, will dovetail is new commitments with his existing Mahindra Formula E programme.

"I’m really excited about it," the Brazilian told Motorsport.com. "It’s fun to be part of a new championship and have a new challenge.

"Those guys are really competitive, Ricardo is a young driver who has done well in the past, he won Le Mans already [LMP2 in 2013]."

Gonzalez raced a Ligier last year with the G-Drive squad, placing third in the LMP2 standings along with teammates Pipo Derani and Gustavo Yacaman.

“I’m very excited to finally be able to announce this project, which has been in the works for quite a while," said the Mexican.

"After the WEC announced that we would have the 6 Hours of Mexico in 2016, starting our own Mexican team was the obvious next choice.

"With the experience that Bruno and Filipe have, and proven speed of the Ligier JS P2, I have no doubt in my mind that we’ll be able to fight for the championship and victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans."

Albuquerque, meanwhile, has spent the last two years racing for both the Audi LMP1 squad and Jota Sport in the European Le Mans Series.

"After doing two consecutive years in the ELMS, definitely the WEC was my main goal for 2016," said the Portuguese driver.

"With Ricardo’s WEC experience, Bruno’s Formula 1 and my experience as an Audi Factory driver I think we make a good and balanced team.

"With all this there is no reason why we shouldn’t aim at Le Mans and the World Championship title."

Toyota 2016..

Today's The Day!

In just a few hours the curtain will be raised on the list of entrants for the 2016 World Endurance Championship, together with the announcement of competitors admitted to the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours and the 2016 European Le Mans Series.

Who will be on the grid? There will be some familiar faces, certainly, from our LMP1 manufacturers Audi, Porsche and Toyota, but who will be joining them for one of the most eagerly anticipated seasons in the WEC’s history?

Don’t miss a minute of the press conference: watch it live and direct on Motorsport.com or via our own fiawec.com site. You can also follow it on 24h-lemans.com and on europeanlemansseries.com.

Stripping Down The Strakka Gibson

FEB 5, 2016 | FORD CHIP GANASSI RACING PRESS RELEASE

FOUR-CAR LE MANS ENTRY ACCEPTED FOR FORD 50 YEARS ON FROM HISTORIC VICTORY

All four Ford Chip Ganassi Racing Ford GTs will compete at Le Mans in June, 50 years on from 1-2-3 finish in 1966
    The Ford GTs will run Nos. 66, 67, 68 and 69
    PARIS -- The organisers of the Le Mans 24 Hours, the ACO (Automobile Club de l’Ouest), today confirmed that all four Ford GTs have received a place on the prestigious entry list for the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours.

Fifty years on from Ford’s famous 1-2-3 outright victory at Le Mans, all four Ford Chip Ganassi Racing Ford GTs will compete for GTE Pro class glory at the world’s greatest motor race, which takes place on June 18-19.

“It was great to see all four Ford GTs up there on the Le Mans entry list today,” said Dave Pericak, Ford Performance global director, who attended this afternoon’s press conference in Paris. “Newcomers are by no means guaranteed an entry, whatever their history or ambitions, so we thank the ACO for giving Ford the opportunity for a four car assault in June.”

The Ford GT racing car is based on the all-new Ford GT supercar, which is the pinnacle product of the Ford Performance division. With state-of-the-art aerodynamics, lightweight carbon fibre construction and a powerful and efficient Ford EcoBoost engine, the Ford GT has been built to go head-to-head with the GT establishment -- Ferrari, Corvette, Porsche and Aston Martin -- as they fight for victory in the ultimate endurance battle.

“I’m very happy that we can run all four Ford GTs at Le Mans,” said Chip Ganassi, owner of Ford Chip Ganassi Racing. “It will be a big challenge for us but one we are thrilled to undertake. We have prepared well and can't wait to get the Ford GTs onto the track there and show everyone what they can do.”

The No. 66 and No. 67 Ford Chip Ganassi Racing cars that run in the FIA World Endurance Championship will keep their race numbers for Le Mans. The two Ford GTs that run in the IMSA WeatherTechSportsCar Championship will receive new race numbers just for Le Mans: No. 66 becomes No. 68 and No. 67 becomes No. 69.

The configuration of the driver line-ups in the WEC cars will be announced at a later date, along with the identities of the third drivers for all four Ford GTs at Le Mans.

Porsche 919 Test in Abu Dhabi

2016 Labre Vette

It has taken me a while to get used to the C7/C7.R looks but it's OK now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    It has taken me a while to get used to the C7/C7.R looks but it's OK now.
    it ok, not as good as the 488 GTE

You know when that bad boy Vette has or is coming as its rumbles and shakes your insides. Has to be my second fav engine tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    They are great race cars. But where are the usual Jake skull logos???
    oh yeah, i hadnt noticed wasnt on there im not sure but were they apart of a sponsor or some marketing thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    oh yeah, i hadnt noticed wasnt on there im not sure but were they apart of a sponsor or some marketing thingy.
    Some background on the matter:

http://jalopnik.com/5249746/the-hist...racings-mascot

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2262821-comprehensive-history-of-jake-skull-w-pics.html

sorry day late, been bit busy...

KEY FACTS AND FIGURES ON THE 2016 WEC GRID

Key Facts and Figures on 2016 FIA WEC Grid

· 32 entries representing 12 nations : Germany (6), Austria (1), Japan (2), Switzerland (2), Russia (3), USA (4), China (1), France (2), Mexico (1), Great Britain (6), Italy (3), Hong Kong (1)

· 9 entries in LMP1, 10 in LMP2, 7 in LMGTE Pro and 6 in LMGTE Am

· 3 manufacturer entries in LMP1, 4 manufacturer entries in LMGTE Pro

· Consistency and stability in LMP1 factory line-ups with regulations and working groups focussed on safety, energy efficiency and cost controls

· Dunlop tyres being used by Rebellion Racing thus creating open tyre competition in LMP1

· 5 different chassis manufacturers in LMP2, all powered by Nissan engines

· New teams bringing experience from other championships including F1

· 2015 LMP2 Champion G-Drive Racing moves from Ligier JS P2 to ORECA 05

· First full season for BR01 chassis, in the hands of SMP Racing which makes a return to LMP2

· Two Alpine A460 entries including an entry from China, and inclusion of 21-year-old Gustavo Menezes from the USA as first listed driver

· Former F1 driver Vitaly Petrov of Russia joins WEC with SMP Racing

· RGR Sport by Morand entry highlights Mexico’s importance in the 2016 WEC calendar, led by Ricardo Gonzalez

· All new regulations for LMGTE Pro in 2016 means all-new cars from Ferrari (F488 GTE) and Ford (Ford GT) with updated cars from Aston Martin and Porsche

· KCMG remains with WEC but in 2016 with a Porsche 911 RSR in LMGTE Am

· Gulf Racing moves up from ELMS to WEC

Le Mans, 05 February 2016

2016 Le Mans 24 Hours
    Mythic, Magic, Unique

Today in Paris the Automobile Club de l’Ouest announced the list of entrants invited to take part in the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours. 60 cars will be at the start the legendary race on 18th June! The top-class field competing in the 84th event will provide no-holds-barred battles and a hotly-disputed scrap in each of the four categories.

The big surprise at this press conference concerned the announcement of the number of cars taking part in the Le Mans 24 Hours provided they pass the technical and administrative checks. At first, as announced last June 58 cars were supposed to be on the grid, but faced with the growing number of high-quality entry requests, the Selection Committee decided to allow 60 cars to start the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours on 18th June. So exceptional measures will be taken and the necessary resources and a specific organisation implemented to meet this need to ensure that the additional pits are operational in 2016.

Thus, the third round of the 2016 FIA World Endurance Championship, the pinnacle of the calendar, will see 60 cars on the grid divided up into four categories: 9 LM P1s (Le Mans prototype 1), 22 LM P2s (Le Mans Prototype 2), 14 LM GTE Pros and 14 LM GTE Ams. The 56th garage has been allocated to SRT 41 by OAK Racing, whose technologies devoted to helping disabled people will be highlighted on a Morgan-Nissan LM P2 racing outside the classification.

Among the LM P1s, Porsche is determined to retain the 24-Hours Trophy won in 2015 and to emerge victorious in the race for the 18th time in its history. The three major manufacturers, Porsche, Audi and Toyota, have each entered two cars so they will do battle on a level playing field numerically speaking. Thus the technologies and the race strategy employed will be crucial in deciding which one will see the chequered flag in first place after 24-hours racing. Rounding off the LM P1 field are three privately entered cars from Rebellion Racing (2) and ByKolles Racing team (1). A total of five manufacturers/constructors will be represented in the blue-riband category.

In 2016, the LM P2 category again has the highest number of cars. In 2015, there were 19 on the grid and this year 22 have been chosen by the selection committee. Hong Kong team KCMG will be back to defend its title against a horde of highly-motivated challengers determined to oust it from the top spot and claim the trophy it won last year. Six different makes of chassis will do battle in LM P2 with Ligier, victorious in the Daytona 24 Hours at the end of January, holding a numerical advantage. A newcomer to the LM P2 category is the Panis Barthez Competition team with Fabien Barthez as designated driver. In 1998 he was a member of the French team that won the World Football Cup, and he has since changed careers becoming a successful racing driver. It will be his second outing in the Le Mans 24 Hours after his debut in 2014 in GTE Am.

This year new LM GTE Pro regulations came into force on 1st January 2016 while the LM GTE Am rules remain unchanged. These two categories, each with 14 entries, will again provide on-track fireworks.

In LM GTE Pro the main attraction is the return of Ford with four cars 50 years after its superb triple in 1966. Corvette, the title holder and winner in January of the Rolex Daytona 24 Hours scoring a double with its C7.Rs, will not be overawed by this newcomer or by Ferrari, Porsche and Aston Martin, which are all gunning for victory.

In LM GTE Am Ferrari enjoys numerical superiority with five 458 Italias followed by Porsche (4), Aston Martin (3) and Corvette (2). The battle for victory in this category looks very open especially as the first two teams in 2015 won’t be present. Maybe this will give Scuderia Corsa, third in 2015, the opportunity to finish on the topmost step of the podium.

Thus the field for the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours consists of 32 prototypes and 28 GTS, proving once again the extraordinary pulling power of the event with 41 teams entered representing 17 nationalities from the four corners of the globe.

The reserve list comprises 10 cars, six LM P2s and 4 LM GTE Ams. They will be allowed into the race in the order of the list in the case of withdrawals.

During the press conference Alexander Wurz was named Grand Marshal for the 84th Le Mans 24 Hours following in the footsteps of Tom Kristensen, Allan McNish and Henri Pescarolo.

Another eagerly-awaited moment was the unveiling of the poster for the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours and the advertisement by the Automobile Club de l’Ouest. 2016 represents a complete break with the previous years expressing a desire to use the force of simplicity to enhance the impact and the emotion.

This unveiling launched the communications and promotional campaign for the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours and triggered the countdown to the 84th event on 18-19 June.

Pierre Fillon, President of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest: “Given the ever-increasing number of high-quality entry requests we received, the selection committee decided to allow sixty cars to start the Le Mans 24 Hours on 18th June. This decision means we have to deploy exceptional measures and put in place a specific organisation, but the ACO teams won’t have problems meeting this need. The top-quality field in the 84th Le Mans 24 Hours proves yet again the pulling power of our event and the confidence the major car manufacturers have in us. In addition, entries from teams of seventeen different nationalities from the four corners of the globe show the interest in endurance and the indisputable international dimension of this legendary race. The 2016 Le Mans 24-Hours promise us a magnificent spectacle on the track and a festive week to be enjoyed to the full!”

Vincent Beaumesnil, Automobile Club de l’Ouest Sport Manager: “Each year the selection committee is finding it increasingly difficult to establish the list of entries for the Le Mans 24 Hours. Thirty-two prototypes and twenty-eight GTs will be on the grid on 18th June for what already looks like being a first-class race. There will be a closely-fought battle in LM P1 and there is even more diversity in LM P2. The appeal of the LM GTE Pro category is greater than ever and more sporting with the introduction of the new regulations and Ford’s return. As always, LM GTE Am will be the theatre of fantastic battles. From both a technical and sporting point of view all the ingredients are in place for a unique 84th Le Mans 24 Hours.”

entry list

http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichi...-mans-2016.pdf

RISI COMPETIZIONE RECEIVES INVITATION TO 24 HOURS OF LE MANS

Houston, Texas (February 5, 2016)...Risi Competizione is proud to announce they have received an invitation from the Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO) for the 84th annual 24 Hours of Le Mans race.

The Houston, Texas-based American team received delivery of its brand new Ferrari 488 GTE just days prior to the 54th annual running of the Rolex 24 At Daytona race the last weekend of January. The Risi Competizione team of drivers Toni Vilander, Giancarlo Fisichella, Davide Rigon and Olivier Beretta finished sixth in the highly competitive GTLM class.

Vilander, Fisichella and a yet-to-be-named third co-driver will drive the popular No. 82 Risi Competizione-entered Rosso Corsa (racing red) Prancing Horse in the GTE-Pro class on June 18-19, 2016 for Team Principal Giuseppe Risi.

"We are honored to be returning to Le Mans for what will be sure to be a great GT battle and exciting race overall," said Giuseppe Risi. "Le Mans is a very special race and one that has even more meaning when you win. We've had the privilege to stand on the podium before and seek nothing but the same in this year's race. We expect good results with this new Ferrari 488 this season and will make every effort for success again this year at Le Mans. We thank the ACO for the invitation and look forward to returning to Le Mans in June."

Risi Competizione has won at the 24 Hours of Le Mans on three of seven occasions. The first appearance of the Risi team at Le Mans was in 1998 when Wayne Taylor, Eric van de Poele and Fermin Velez won the LMP-1 class in the Ferrari 333 SP. Risi Competizione collected back-to-back victories in the Ferrari 430 GT in 2008 with Jamies Melo, Mika Salo and Gianmaria Bruni and again in 2009 with Melo, Salo and Pierre Kaffer. The team made appearance in 2003, 2007 and their last entry was in 2010. On numerous occasions Risi Competizione entered two cars at La Circuit de la Sarthe.

yes Risi back at Le-Mans

Cheers, Rob.

Cool post about Risi Rob. Looking at the Lemans entry list, not a lot of Ferrari's this year..actually, both GT
    fields look rather small.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Cool post about Risi Rob. Looking at the Lemans entry list, not a lot of Ferrari's this year..actually, both GT
    fields look rather small.
    for me its quality not quantity. Good addition, which im so happy about is Clearwater Racing will be there
    Last edited by Rob; 8th February 2016 at 09:50.

Le Mans roads to stay closed between 24 Hours practice/qualifying

The public road sections of the 8.47-mile Le Mans circuit will remain closed between the Wednesday and Thursday qualifying sessions ahead of this year's 24 Hours.

The Mulsanne Straight and the run from Mulsanne Corner to the Porsche Curves will not reopen to traffic on Thursday as usual, which will allow more track time for cars taking part in the two support races for the Le Mans 24 Hours on June 18/19.

Vincent Beaumesnil, sporting manager of race organiser the Automobile Club de l'Ouest, told Autosport: "This will allow us to have more free practice for the GT3 Le Mans Cup and also to give a little bit more track time to the Ferrari Challenge."

The ACO has established the GT3 Cup on the European Le Mans Series bill as a rung on what it calls its "endurance pyramid" for 2016 and will also allow LMP3 prototypes to take part in the additional one-hour race on the Saturday morning of the Le Mans week.

Beaumesnil also promised "some other interesting on-track activities" on Thursday before the second session of qualifying for the 24 Hours starts as normal at 7pm.

Track activity will begin at 4pm on Wednesday with a four-hour session of practice prior to first qualifying at 10pm.

The public roads that make up approximately two thirds of the Circuit de la Sarthe, which include the route nationale between the city of Le Mans and Tours to the south, will be open to traffic on the Friday of Le Mans week when there is no on-track activity.

Free practice was introduced at Le Mans in 2009 after the decision, for economic reasons, to temporarily do away with the test day reintroduced in 1992.

The current format of one four-hour practice and three two-hour qualifying sessions was introduced in 2010.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122729