Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 WEC, IWTSC, ELMS thread.

Greaves Motorsport confirms Memo Rojas Jr. for 2016 ELMS and Le Mans

Greaves Motorsport, the reigning European Le Mans Series Champions, are pleased to confirm Memo Rojas Jr. as their first driver for the second entry in the 2016 ELMS and the Le Mans 24 Hours. The team will run a Nissan-powered Ligier JS P2 chassis in the LM P2 class and will continue their long standing association with Dunlop Tyres. Rojas has no less than four Rolex Sports Car Series titles to his name and is a three-time winner of the Rolex Daytona 24 Hours and also lists a victory in the 12 Hours of Sebring in his extensive motorsport CV.

Memo Rojas explained his decision to race in Europe in 2016. “I am very happy to announce my arrival in the European Le Mans Series for this year and also the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I am really motivated and excited to be racing with such a successful and respected team as Greaves Motorsport. I want to thank everyone in the IMSA Series for those nine years I raced there, I am looking for new challenges, so I am moving to the European endurance scene. One of the biggest incentives for me is my long standing dream to compete in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. My father raced there and now I hope to add a win in the most famous endurance race of them all to my record.”“Greaves Motorsport are the current European Le Mans Series Champions and alsothey won their class previously at Le Mans. They are always competitive and have been one of the leading teams for many seasons, their record proves that. We will shake down our new Ligier chassis in March with at the Official Test in Le Castellet and then in Spain. Of course I have to thank my sponsors for making all of this happen, Telmex, Telcel, Claro, Interproteccion, Passtime, Peugeot, Red Bull, Dockers, Alpine Stars and Oakley.

”Jacob Greaves, Team Principal of Greaves Motorsport. “This is a fantastic opportunity for the team to compete for successive European Le Mans Series titles. Memo is a top level professional driver, as his record demonstrates. We are thrilled that a driver of his achievement and profile has chosen Greaves Motorsport to be his partner in his first attempt to win a major international competition in Europe. Addin a Ligier chassis, Nissan power, Dunlop Tyres and we have all the ingredients to achieve the top step once more. A new partnership with America Movil (Telemex, Telcel and Claro) is an exciting development that will add a new dimension to our efforts. It will not be easy as the quality of the opposition in our class for 2016 is veryhigh but we know how to win and have a hunger to continue as ELMS champions.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Manor’s John Booth Talks WEC: “The Romance Of Le Mans Won Us Over”

The rumours and speculation were true, Manor is going to be in the WEC this season with an LMP2 programme.

Now, this isn’t exactly a move from F1 from the WEC, as the F1 team and this new WEC venture are separate. Nevertheless, this is an extremely exciting new programme for sportscar racing, one that DSC is glad to have aboard.

In speaking with DSC, the head of Manor Motorsport John Booth explained just how the programme came together, and just how recently it got the green light:

“It’s been a work in progress for a number of months,” explained Booth. “It must have been four to six weeks ago that we finally decided to do it.

“This team is completely separate with F1 now, I’ve had no contact with them since the last race in Abu Dhabi. Manor Motorsport has been in existence for 26 years, so Manor seemed the natural name for us to continue with. The Rose is in the emblem, we’re Manor, and we have a striking car.”

Along with the announcement of the programme, the team also announced its chassis, one of its drivers and the livery. The Yorkshire-based team decided to run with an ORECA 05 chassis, with Tor Graves at the wheel.

“We are very new to sportscar racing,” Booth admitted. “So we had an ask around to get people’s opinions. I managed to get in contact wth ORECA and they were very responsive, very helpful people. I don’t think there’s anything in it performance wise.

“Tor meanwhile is a good starting point for us. We have history with Tor. Tor was with us when we moved from Formula Renault to Formula 3, we won our first race with him. We hope to carry that sort of mentally on from there.”

For the other two drivers, Manor will look in its current stable, but also elsewhere. Booth chuckled at some of the potential prospects.

“Lewis and Kimi, wouldn’t that be something!? Well, they gave us Lewis’ number, so it would be an easy transition for him… In all seriousness, it’s not a requirement for us when it comes to driver selection to choose more of our own.

“We’re not sure when, but we’ll know by the Prologue who else will be in the car.”

Traditionally, Manor Motorsport has been based up in Yorkshire, but with the inception of this venture, the team has also decided to move its HQ. It’s clear that this WEC campaign has brought with it a fresh start for the team.

“We may start up in Yorkshire, but we plan to move to Silverstone quite soon.

“We’re lucky that a few of the guys from F1 last year have come over with us and will move to our new location. Recruiting from scratch would have been hard, it would have been quite difficult to hand out contracts because we don’t have a car and we didn’t know if he had an entry until it came up on the screen at the conference.

“It would have been quite cruel to invite us and not give us an entry though.”

It’s quite possible that this Manor project will turn into something quite big, and successful. LMP2 is a good starting point, but that’s not necessarily where Booth plans to keep the team. With fresh LMP1 privateer regulations on the horizion, surely that will be an option?

Whatever happens though, Manor chose sportscars, and its chosen to invest its future in it.

“We absolutely understand that this will be a learning year, we have a lot to learn in a very short time. Running a car and making a car go fast is not a challenge, but the strategy required is going to be the biggest thing for us.

“We want to be involved in endurance racing for a long time. We want to carve a name for ourselves and win races.”

“LMP1 teams spend somewhere in the region of the money we spent in Formula One,” he added. “We know how difficult it is to raise that in Formula One. Outside of manufacturers, we don’t expect to be able to play in LMP1. LMP2 then is the obvious choice, we want to go racing at the highest level.”

“If you want to be competitive, then yeah LMP2 right now is the highest level for an independent team. We considered things like IndyCar, but the romance of Le Mans won us over.

“I don’t think the platform and the regulations are published for P1 privateer yet. So until we see it we can’t really think about it. We’re really happy with LMP2 for now, they’re great cars, with great downforce and grip.

“There’s no point in doing anything else in single-seaters other than Formula One anymore, that avenue’s closed, so this is an obvious choice.

“We can’t wait to go racing in the WEC.”

Onroak Automotive Release – 8th February 2016

Onroak Automotive backing its teams on all fronts in 2016!

On 5th February the Automobile Club de l’Ouest unveiled the official lists of entries for the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours, the FIA World Endurance Championship and the European Le Mans Series. This announcement, eagerly-awaited every year by all those involved in international motor sport, confirmed that Onroak Automotive will have an important presence in all the ACO Series.

The Ligier JS P2 pursues its prestigious career marked in particular by the 2015 WEC LM P2 title and the recent victory in the Daytona 24 Hours. It is the only chassis in which the three engines homologated by the LM P2 regulations, Honda, Judd and Nissan, are installed: this year the Ligier JS P2 has again found favour with new teams. Eight cars, three of which will compete in all the other rounds of the FIA WEC, are entered for the Le Mans 24 Hours with two more on the reserve list. Six Ligier JS P2s, four of which will race in the Sarthe Classic, are entered for the ELMS, so no fewer than ten Ligier JS P2s will race in ACO-labelled events.
    In these three competitions the Ligier JS P2s will be up against tough, varied opposition. They will take on the Oreca 05 and 03R, the BR01, the Alpine A460, the Gibson 015S, and their stable-mate, the Morgan LM P2, also built by Onroak Automotive.

The Ligier JS P3 is the star of the new season’s kick-off. After a promising debut sealed with the LM P3 title in the Asian Le Mans Series, the latest car from the Onroak Automotive workshops has achieved a quasi-monopoly on the 2016 ELMS grid with 19 cars out of the 20 entered in the category (19/20 as if a mark had been unconsciously awarded to the success of the Ligier JS P3!).

The Morgan LM P2, whose results include the 2013 FIA WEC LM P2 title and those in the 2013 and 2014 Asian Le Mans Series, is still a force to be reckoned with. In the ELMS and the Le Mans 24 Hours fans of the famous British make will still be rooting for the Onroak Automotive open sport-prototype. Eyes will be focused on the 56th garage reserved every year for an innovation. In 2016 it has been allocated to the SRT 41 Morgan LM P2, which the French constructor has adapted to meet the needs of its driver, quadri-amputee, Frédéric Sausset.

The number of cars entered is incontestable proof of the interest and the confidence of the teams, and the renown and professionalism of the latter reinforce the pertinence of Onroak Automotive’s presence in endurance.

While the composition of the grids has been announced and the cars delivered to the teams, another of the French constructor’s departments is soon going to be very busy. Although the spectators may not be aware of it, providing a backup service for the clients is crucial and essential for their race teams. Technical directors, engineers and mechanics from Onroak Automotive present at the events are determined to supply the best-quality to satisfy the needs of the teams, and a lorry loaded with spare parts will travel to all the European events.

Jacques Nicolet, President of Onroak Automotive : “I have to admit that the number of our cars on these lists is very impressive, in particular in LM P3! It gives us a double satisfaction that comes from the confidence that numerous teams have renewed in us, as well as the arrival of new clients who have decided to join us. Today our priority above all is to satisfy our clients by providing them with a top-quality after-sales and backup service. We have close and precious links with each of the teams and we must now give them all irreproachable support.

“As a constructor the passion that drives us today to be able to help our clients achieve great victories, and experience moments as magic as those shared with Extreme Speed Motorsports which, last weekend, gave the Ligier JS P2 victory in the Daytona 24 Hours!”

Tickets booked for Silverstone WEC opener. Booked couple weeks ago. Cannt wait now. I know, what, about 10 weeks still, and the WEC Prologue is March 26th.

WHAT’S NEW IN LMP1 REGULATIONS FOR 2016

The ACO and FIA, through the Endurance Commission, constantly strive to produce a clear, fair and consistent set of Sporting and Technical regulations which allow competitors and fans to understand and enjoy the thrills of endurance racing while upholding and promoting the highest levels of safety.

The World Endurance Championship works hard, in tandem with its partners, to present a platform on which manufacturers can display technology and product development, to offer family-centred entertainment both on and off track, and to maintain a stable, cost-controlled championship which is open to competitors on a worldwide basis.

KEY TECHNICAL CHANGES – LMP1

Energy per lap reduced by 10MJ (representing a reduction of 7.5% for the faster cars)

Instantaneous fuel flow reduced by the same proportions

Hybrid power/energy delivery restriction of 300kw for Le Mans only

Additional head protection padding for the driver

Three different homologated bodywork iterations will be allowed during the season, reducing to two in 2017 to further control costs

Wheel arch vents will be around 25% larger as part of a drive to improve safety

Further testing and wind tunnel restrictions

OAK Racing Press Release – 9th February 2016
    2016 season - European Le Mans Series

OAK Racing in the 2016 ELMS with two Ligier JS P3s

Following the announcement of the official list of entries for the European Le Mans Series by the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, OAK Racing confirms its return to the European arena in 2016. The French team will enter a pair of Ligier JS P3s built in the Onroak Automotive workshops at Magny-Cours and entrusted to gentlemen drivers.

Two OAK Racing Ligier JS P3s bearing the numbers 4 and 24 will contest the six rounds of the European Le Mans Series in the hands of two experienced gentlemen driver line-ups. The choice of the series, cars and drivers has been made to combine professionalism and fun.

The team and the men behind the wheel are tackling this season with a low-key approach but with iron-clad ambitions.
    Erik Maris and Jean-Marc Merlin, long-time friends, are team-mates for the third season running and share the wheel of the no. 4 Ligier JS P3. The no. 24 Ligier JS P3 will be driven by father/son duo Jacques and Pierre Nicolet both passionate motor sport and endurance enthusiasts. The four drivers share the same vision and philosophy for this new adventure, namely: mix performance with pleasure.

OAK Racing would also like to enter its two Ligier JS P3s for the race reserved for LM P3 sports prototypes and GT3s, which is a curtain-raiser to the Le Mans 24 Hours on 18th June, as it provides a unique opportunity to drive the legendary 13.629-km circuit and experience the magic ambience of this mythic race.

For this new season, OAK Racing will be able to count on the support of different partners who will back it in this great adventure. The cars’ livery will be unveiled shortly.

Erik Maris - no. 4 Ligier JS P3: “I’m tackling the new season to enjoy myself and to improve at the wheel of the fantastic Ligier JS P3. The principle of endurance races is to share the wheel so my aim will be to always hand back an intact car to my friend, Jean-Marc! After several shared experiences over the last two years, I’m delighted to be back with the OAK Racing team and to take advantage of the great ambience and the professional approach that reigns therein.”

Jean-Marc Merlin – no. 4 Ligier JS P3: “After the Ligier JS P2 last year, I get just as much pleasure at the wheel of the Ligier JS P3. The car’s perfect for gentlemen drivers like us, and the ELMS calendar includes fantastic circuits, in particular Spa-Francorchamps which I absolutely adore. My aim’s simple: to take the season seriously, but not myself!”

Jacques Nicolet – no. 24 Ligier JS P3: “I’m very happy to share this season with my son and my friends, Erik and Jean-Marc. So many drivers have enjoyed driving and been completely convinced by the Ligier JS P3, that I too wanted to get a kick out of racing this car built in our Onroak Automotive workshops. We’re very proud of this LM P3 that’s helped a lot of people to experience what it’s like to drive a sports prototype, and I’m going to try and be up to scratch to clinch podium finishes with Pierre!”

Pierre Nicolet – no. 24 Ligier JS P3: “I’ve already had the pleasure of doing a few races with my dad. I know it’s an exceptional stroke of luck for me to be able to share this passion with him and I’m going to savour each session and each race. My aim is to enjoy myself as part of a family while still being quick and not making any mistakes.”

AF Corse will line up two Ferrari 488s and a 458 Italia in the 2016 World Championship

Piacenza, February 10th – Three AF Corse Ferraris will race in the FIA World Endurance Championship (Wec) 2016 with one target: to reconquer the GT world titles. The most successful team in the GT category of the WEC (AF Corse won three consecutive titles in the GTE-Pro, from 2012 to 2014, and took the second place in 2015) will line up two all-new Ferrari 488 GTEs and a Ferrari 458 Italia.

GTE-Pro. Two-time world champion Gianmaria Bruni will still be at the wheel of the #51 together with James Calado, who had many successful outings last year in the 458 Italia #71.

Davide Rigon will be in the other 488 GTE lined up for AF Corse in the GTE-Pro, still carrying the number 71, with the new teammate Sam Bird. The English driver, 28-year-old - who gained six wins in the GP2 Series and was a tester for Mercedes in Formula 1 - raced twice for Ferrari and AF Corse in the 2014 WEC; in 2015, he won the WEC drivers title in the LMP2 class.

GTE-Am. Titles are also possible in the GTE-Am category. François Perrodo, Emmanuel Collard and Rui Aguas will race again in the AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia #83. Following the second places in the 2015 WEC, the high potential trio will try again to win the category.

The first green light in the FIA Wec 2016 will be at Silverstone, on April 17, with its six-hours race.

AF Corse Press Office - Riccardo Delfanti

Movie star Jackie Chan becomes Le Mans team owner

The Hong Kong actor and stuntman has joined the list of film and TV heroes to get involved in the 24-hour classic.

Chan is a founding partner in the BAXI DC Racing team that dominated the LMP3 class of the Asian Le Mans Series in the 2015/16 season.

Drivers Ho-Pin Tung, team co-owner David Cheng and France’s Thomas Laurent drove a Ligier JS P3 to four wins out of four to easily claim the class title.

On Friday, Sparkle Roll Group-Jackie Chan DC Racing, which has entered the FIA World Endurance Championship, was also announced in the 60-car entrylist for this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The team will campaign an Alpine A460-Nissan in LMP2, again with Cheng and Tung as two of the drivers in the lineup.

Thus Chan joins the likes of Steve McQueen, Paul Newman and more recently, Patrick Dempsey, as a film and TV star to become a participant in the French around-the-clock classic.

Said Chan: “Following a great performance by our team in the Asian Le Mans Series, I am happy that we will have the privilege to race in the WEC, and of course the 84th edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.”

The 61-year-old Chan, who starred in the Rush Hour franchise alongside Chris Tucker and the 2010 remake of The Karate Kid with Jaden Smith, is a known motorhead and racing fanatic.

But his film roles stretch as far back as being a martial arts expert and stuntman in early ’70s Bruce Lee classics such as Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon. Chan has even starred in a racing movie – 1995’s Thunderbolt.

“I will support Chinese motorsport and driver development,” said Chan, “so I created the team together with David Cheng.

“[Now] I look forward to personally attending this year’s Le Mans 24 hour race to support my team and my compatriot drivers David Cheng and Ho-Pin Tung.

“See you there!”

Latest News

Paris - 12 February 2016

Key points for 2016

1. LMP1
    In 2015 LMP1 cars will be known as 'hybrid' and non'hybrid' instead of LMP1-H and LMP1-L. There will still be an FIA Endurance Trophy for Privateer LMP1 Drivers and Teams.

2. ENGINES
    For LMP1 Hybrid competitors only: engine use is limited to 5 engines for the complete season (all race events) per car entered.

For new manufacturers entering the Manufacturer’s FIA World Endurance Championship : engine use is limited to 7 engines for the complete season (all race events) per car entered.

For the non-permanent LMP1 competitors in the FIA World Endurance Championship (race-by-race entry): A maximum of 2 engines can be used for free practice, qualifying practice and the race.

3. TYRES

Summary table of maximum number of tyres available per event (does not apply to the 24 Hours of Le Mans)

Sets of Tyres Single Tyres
    WEC 6 Hours Events Free Practice Qualifying + Race Any Additional time during the event
    LMP1 4 6* 2
    LMP2 3 4 2
    LMGTE Pro 4 6 2
    LMGTE Am 4 6 2

* 8 sets for Shanghai and Bahrain

4. LIMITATION OF PERSONNEL
    For Competitors entered in the Manufacturers’ World Endurance Championship only:

For all events scheduled after the 2016 edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans:

No competitor may have more than 65 operational people at a 6-hour WEC race for 2 cars and 90 operational people for 3 cars (except where additional personnel are required by special regulation for an event; this must be confirmed by the decision of the Endurance Committee) with access to the Team pit garages and technical trucks/offices from the start of initial scrutineering until the end of the race.

5. LMP1 AVERAGE DRIVER WEIGHT
    LMP1 entrants must declare the minimum weight of each driver entered. If the average weight of the drivers is 80kg or more no action is necessary. If the average weight is less than 80kg, driver ballast must be added to the car which will equal 80kg minus the actual average weight of the drivers.

6. STARTING GRID
    There will be one qualifying session to determine the starting grid and organised as follows:

20 minutes for LMP1 and LMP2 cars only
    20 minutes for LMGTE Pro and Am cars only
    Two nominated drivers from each crew must set at least 1 timed lapduring qualifying. The average of the 2best lap times (the best of each driver) will serve as the reference time for establishing the grid.

NOTE: In 2014 the average of 4 best laps (the best 2 for each driver) was used as the reference time, with each half session in qualifying being 25 minutes.

7. KEY TECHNICAL CHANGES
    LMP1:
    Energy per lap reduced by 10MJ (representing a reduction of 7.5% for the faster cars)
    Instantaneous fuel flow reduced by the same proportions
    Additional head protection padding for the driver
    Hybrid power/energy delivery restriction of 300kw for Le Mans only
    Three different homologated bodywork iterations will be allowed during the season, reducing to two in 2017 to further control costs
    Wheel arch vents will be around 25% larger as part of a drive to improve safety
    Further testing and wind tunnel restrictions
    LMGTE:

Complete new set of regulations for LMGTE
    LMGTE Pro car to target a precise performance window (improve performance)
    Safety nets
    Evacuation hatches
    8. TESTING
    The number and type of private tests that can be undertaken by competitors in LMP1 and LMP2 have been updated for 2016. The allocation is such that one car per test day equals one unit (car/days) and two cars per test day equals two units (car/days). The numbers of car/days now allowed are as follows:

For LMP1 competitors only

A maximum of 10 closed private testing car/days are allowed.
    A maximum of 20 closed private testing car/days are allowed for any new car manufacturer entering the Manufacturers’ World Endurance Championship.
    A maximum of 10 open private testing car/days respecting the pre-announcement period of 30 days are allowed.
    A maximum of 23 open private testing car/days respecting the pre-announcement period of 90 days are allowed.
    For LMP2, LMGTE Pro and Am Competitors

A maximum of 10 closed private testing car/days are allowed per competitor per category.
    9. PIT STOP PROCEDURES
    The pit lane is divided into three areas:

The “fast lane” is the closest to the wall in the signalling area. A car can access the fast lane only under its own power.
    The “acceleration and deceleration lane” is the central lane.
    The “working area” is the closest to the garage, where work is carried out on the cars. It has a wall or a painted line in front of the pit shutter on one side and a line separating it from the central lane on the other.

Speed limit in the pit lane: 60 km/h.

Cars in the fast lane have priority over those leaving the working area. The team is responsible for the safe release of a car from its pit area.

10. PIT STOPS
    Number of personnel involved during refuelling remains the same, with a clarification that each person must have one of the operations outlined in article 10.8.4 and cannot perform the functions of 2 persons unless permitted with the current regulations.

Clarification for LMP1 only of the Fuel Flow Meter person:

Allowed to clean the windscreen or change/repair the fuel flow meter, no other operation allowed
    Allowed to take place in the working area before the car arrives and stops in front of his garage IF a fuel flow meter change is required and until the car leaves the area. In that case the fuel flow meter change must be done prior to any other operation
    If no fuel flow meter change/repair is required, allowed in the working area only after the car has stopped in front of his garage for windscreen cleaning only
    Same number of mechanics as 2015 – four – will be allowed to intervene during a pit stop, wearing mandatory green armbands. For full description see article 10.8.4.

Two tyre / brake technicians will be allowed and marked by blue armbands.

Penalty for infringement of pit stop personnel operations is a drive through penalty at the stewards’ discretion.

11. PITS - SAFETY EQUIPMENT
    Mandatory safety clothing and equipment for competitors’ personnel in the pit lane during all practice sessions and the race must be homologated by the FIA, clarified in article 4.7.1.2 to ensure that all persons understand what requirements team personnel must be wearing in pit lane (over the line in front of the pit shutter – not over the 2.5m line).

12. PENALTIES
    Speeding in the Pit Lane – revised penalties during the race:

Previously first infringement was 5 sec per kph over 60 kph stop & go penalty, second infringement 10 sec per kph over 60kph stop & go penalty, third infringement penalty at the stewards’ discretion. NEW: first infringement drive through penalty, in the case of exceeding 70kph a 5 sec per kph over 70kph (rounded up) stop & go penalty. Second infringement drive through penalty, in the case of exceeding 70kph a 10 sec per kph over 70kph (rounded up) stop & go penalty. Third infringement penalty at the stewards’ discretion.
    Spinning wheels when leaving pit stop – revised penalty during the race:

Previously 3 min stop & go penalty. NEW: stop & go penalty.
    Penalties

In order to have clearer sporting regulations, which also reflect the FIA International Sporting Code, penalties have been placed into their own article within the WEC regulations. These clearly outline what penalties are available to the stewards. These include penalties such as Pit Lane Time Penalty (i.e. a 10 sec stop & go penalty), or Added Pit Lane Time (time added to the next pit stop).

Technical Penalties

Maximum released ERS Power > 300kW penalties: free practice – no penalty, qualifying – lap time cancelled, race – 2nd infringement 10 sec stop & go penalty, 3rd infringement 40 sec stop & go penalty, 4th or further infringement 60 sec stop & go penalty
    END OF SEASON ROOKIE TEST

Provision of at least one car by competitors entered in the World Endurance Manufacturers Championship for a Rookie Test, which will take place on a date and at a location that will be confirmed later this year, is mandatory.

2016 SPORTING REGULATIONS

CHAMPIONSHIP TITLES

At the end of the WEC season, the following World Championshio titles, Cups and Trophies will be awarded:

The Championship has two World Champion titles:

The title of FIA World Endurance Champion Driver
    The title of FIA World Endurance Champion Manufacturer LMP1
    The following Cup and Trophies will also be awarded:

World Cup for LMGTE manufacturers, reserved for manufacturers entered in LMGTE (whether Pro or Am)
    An FIA World Endurance Cup for GT drivers.
    An FIA Endurance Trophy awarded to the best private LMP1 team, (using only non-hybrid cars or as defined in Article 13.A.a.III), officially entered in the Championship but not competing for the title of FIA World Endurance Manufacturers' Champion.
    An FIA Endurance Trophy for private LMP1 team drivers (provided that at least three cars are entered for the full season)
    FIA Endurance Trophy awarded to the best LMP2 team
    FIA Endurance Trophy awarded to the best LMGTE Pro team
    FIA Endurance Trophy awarded to the best LMGTE Am team
    FIA Endurance Trophy awarded to the best LMP2 driver(s)
    FIA Endurance Trophy awarded to the best GTE Am driver(s)
    Points for the titles of World Champion Driver(s) and World Champion Manufacturers, as well as those for the Cup and Trophies, are awarded at each race (other than the Le Mans 24 Hours) according to the following scale:

6 Hour Races 24H Le Mans
    1st: 25 points 50 points
    2nd: 18 points 36 points
    3rd: 15 points 30 points
    4th: 12 points 24 points
    5th: 10 points 20 points
    6th: 8 points 16 points
    7th: 6 points 12 points
    8th: 4 points 8 points
    9th: 2 points 4 points
    10th: 1 point 2 points
    And beyond: 0.5 point * 1 point *

*Half a point (1 point at Le Mans) will be awarded to any car finishing in the overall classification in a round of the World Endurance Championship.
    The title of FIA World Endurance Drivers' Champion is reserved for LMP1 and LMP2 drivers (combined classification of LMP categories) and will be awarded to the driver(s) having scored the greatest number of points in the general classification for each event.
    The title of FIA World Endurance Manufacturers' Champion, will be awarded subject to the following conditions:
    - Upon the manufacturer which, specially entered in the LMP1 Manufacturers’ Championship (see. Article 39 D), has scored the greatest number of points after consideration of all the results obtained by the best car entered by a manufacturer in the Manufacturers’ World Championship (make/model mentioned on the car’s homologation form) in the general classification of the events that have actually taken place.
    - The title will be awarded taking into consideration the results obtained in all the events counting towards the Championship, including Le Mans.

POLE POSITION

For all the above classifications, an additional point will be awarded, at each event, to the "pole position" team, as well as to all the drivers making up the crew of the cars concerned, in each category (best time achieved by the car in each category during qualifying).

Two drivers from each crew must set at least one timed lap during qualifying. The average of the two best lap times (the best lap of each driver) will serve as the reference time for establishing the grid.

NOTES
    Only those competitors appearing on the official list of entries in the Championship are entitled to score points for the Championship titles.

"Additional cars" and "complementary cars” will not be allowed to score points for the Championship titles, but will retain their place in the classification at the end of each Championship event, while being "invisible" for the various classifications. The drivers of additional cars entered by a manufacturer registered for the World Championship will be entitled to score points for the Drivers’ World Championship, regardless of the number of cars entered by that competitor in each event, their group and their category.

DRIVING TIMES

For the LMP1 and LMGTE Pro categories:
    To be able to score points, a driver must categorically drive for a minimum of 40 minutes during the race. A driver may not drive for more than 4 hours and 30 minutes in total.

For the LMP2 category:
    A driver must categorically have driven for a minimum of 1 hour and 15 minutes during the race. A driver may not drive for more than 3 hours and 30 minutes in total.

For the LMGTE Am category:
    A driver must categorically have driven for a minimum of 1 hour and 45 minutes during the race. A driver may not drive for more than 3 hours and 30 minutes in total.

SAFETY CAR

There will be only one safety car in operation at a time, except for circuits of over 7 km in length, where other safety cars, positioned at intermediate points around the circuit, may be authorised by the FIA Race Director. There will be 3 safety cars at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

During the first three laps of the safety car, the pit entry will be closed. Any car entering the pits during these first three laps shall be allowed to refuel for only 5 seconds and/or replace a damaged tyre(s), on the condition that after the third lap, or as soon as the pit entry opens, the car comes back in again for a normal pit stop.

CONDITIONS FOR CLASSIFICATION

The car placed first is the one that covered the greatest distance up to the showing of the chequered flag (the position of the cars on the starting grid is not taken into account).

To be classified, a car must:
    Cross the finish line on the race track when the chequered flag is shown, except in a case of force majeure at the stewards' discretion. It is prohibited to stop on the race track pending the showing of the chequered flag.
    Have covered at least 70% of the distance covered by the car classified in first place in the overall classification.
    The official number of laps will be rounded down to the nearest whole number.
    EQUIVALENCE SYSTEMS (PERFORMANCE AND TECHNOLOGIES)

In order to limit the gap in performance between the hybrid and non-hybrid cars, the Endurance Committee may adapt the performance of the non-hybrid cars.

Equivalence systems between the different LMP1 propulsion technologies

A. The reference will be the calculation of the average lap time of the fastest car in each technology. The average lap time will be calculated over the number of laps corresponding to 20% of the distance of the races (average of the best laps).

The models of the cars with the slowest technologies must have participated in at least two races and must have been properly classified in order to be able to benefit from the application of the rule. The first adjustment of performance may be applied at any time by the Endurance Committee.

The Committee will have the right to request any necessary information from the manufacturers and/or the competitors, in order to shed light on the issue at hand. Any such information will be treated in a strictly confidential manner.

Any competitor having deliberately provided false information or having attempted to influence an adjustment by hiding its true level of performance will be penalised by the FIA.

B. The Endurance Committee may adjust the allocation of energy by + or – 10 MJ (reference for a lap of the Le Mans 24 Hours circuit) for all LMP1 cars in order to adjust the global level of performance.

Equivalence of Technology of the LMP1 cars

The principles of the EoT, will be applied up to the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours event. Upon examination of the data collected during the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours event, the criteria of the EoT will be defined for application up to the 2017 Le Mans 24 Hours event.

The calculation formulae, the list of data communicated by the manufacturers and the list of sensors. If, during the Le Mans 24 Hours event, any discrepancy is noted in relation to the declared values, a dissuasive penalty system will be applied.

It will be up to the Endurance Committee to settle any questions that might arise concerning the application and/or interpretation of these elements in the last resort.

BALANCE OF PERFORMANCE

LMP2 cars

The main objectives for these cars must be reliability, safety and a low maintenance cost. Thus, should a particular model of car perform too well, under the terms applicable to the adjustment of performance the Endurance Committee may take immediate measures to reduce its performance.

The Endurance Committee will favour reducing the performance of the fastest models rather than increasing the performance of the slower models.

The Endurance Committee may proceed to adjust the balance of performance of the different LMP2 cars and engines. The parameters liable to be modified are as follows:
    • Engine power up to -5%
    • Weight up to +30 kg
    • Fuel tank capacity up to -10 litres

Adjustments to performance are the responsibility of the Endurance Committee alone.

LMGTE cars

According to its missions, the Committee is allowed to balance the performance of the GTE cars as defined by the applicable technical regulations, and the following modifications may be applied:

• Minimum weight of the car
    • Engine air restrictor and boost pressure ratio
    • Fuel tank capacity
    • Height of the rear wing
    • Any other technical modifications

DRIVER CATEGORIES

Composition of the crews

LMP1: Bronze drivers are not permitted

LMP2: A crew of 2 or 3 drivers must include at least one Silver or Bronze driver.

LMGTE Pro: The composition of the crews is free

LMGTE Am: A crew of 2 or 3 drivers must include at least 1 Bronze and 1 Bronze or Silver

Platinum

Professional driver generally recognized as a well-known driver on the international scene, under the age of 50 and satisfying at least one of the following criteria:

has held a Super Licence (for Formula One);
    has won the Le Mans 24 Hours outright;
    has been a Works Driver, paid by a car manufacturer;
    has finished in the top 10 in the general classification in F3000, CART/Champcar, IRL or GP2;
    has finished in the top 6 in the general classification of an F3 international series (British/Euro F3) or a major international single-seater Championship (e.g. World Series by Renault);
    is a driver whose performances and achievements, despite note being covered by one of the definitions above, may be considered as Platinum by the Endurance Committee.
    Gold

Semi-professional driver in international series or who has distinguished himself in national Championships and satisfying at least one of the following criteria:

driver satisfying the criteria of the category A (Platinum) but aged 50 to 59;
    has competed competitively in the World Karting Championship or single-seater series and is under 35 years of age;
    has finished in the top 10 in the general classification of a secondary international single-seater series (A1 GP, Renault V6, FR2000 international…);
    has finished in the top 6 in the general classification of a national single-seater series (F3, FR2000…);
    has finished in the top 5 in the general classification of an entry level single-seater series (F-Ford, F-BMW, F-Zip, Autosport Academy…);
    has finished in the top 6 in the general classification of the Porsche Supercup;
    has finished in the top 3 of the general classification of a national or international series organised by a manufacturer (Porsche, Seat, Peugeot, Renault…);
    is a driver whose performances and achievements, despite note being covered by one of the definitions above, may be considered as Gold by the Committee.
    Silver

Amateur driver satisfying at least one of the following criteria:

driver aged under 30 and not satisfying the criteria of categories A (Platinum) and B (Gold) ;
    driver satisfying the criteria of the Platinum category but aged 60 or over;
    driver who has finished in 1st place in the general classification of national Championships or international series in association with a professional driver;
    driver who has won a non-professional drivers’ series (Ferrari Challenge, Maserati Trofeo, Lamborghini Supertrophy…);
    is a driver whose performances and achievements, despite note being covered by one of the definitions above, may be considered as Silver by the Endurance Committee.
    Bronze

Amateur driver. Any driver holding an International B licence without a significant record of achievements in motor sport but whose level of performance can be considered as Bronze by the Endurance Committee.

Hey Rob, I attended Ferrari on Fifth event today, downtown Naples Fl..They had a
    Ferrari Challenge 458 there. Ferrari of Tampa was there, a lot of very cool cars. !st Mclaren Ive ever seen also, a 650, Alfa 4C and an 8C, A Fiat Dino and the list goes on. Cool event, a lot of great Ferrari's, Masers, Alfa's, n
    I still love the 308 GTS and the 512 BBi.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Hey Rob, I attended Ferrari on Fifth event today, downtown Naples Fl..They had a
    Ferrari Challenge 458 there. Ferrari of Tampa was there, a lot of very cool cars. !st Mclaren Ive ever seen also, a 650, Alfa 4C and an 8C, A Fiat Dino and the list goes on. Cool event, a lot of great Ferrari's, Masers, Alfa's, n
    I still love the 308 GTS and the 512 BBi.
    very nice mate. 308 GTS

New numbers for LMP1 champions Porsche

Porsche's pair of 919 Hybrids will wear new numbers when the 2016 FIA World Endurance Championship kicks off on April 17 in Silverstone.
    The German brand will switch from the Nos. 17 and 18 its full-time entries wore for Nos. 1 and 2 in honor of the Drivers' and Manufacturers' championships the V4 turbo-powered entries claimed last year.

"Competing with the starting numbers 1 and 2 is an honor and a challenge at the same time," Porsche LMP1 team principal Andreas Seidl said. "We expect even stronger competition in 2016, but still want to be able to fight for race victories and try to defend our titles."

The latest iteration of Porsche's 919 Hybrid chassis and engine package, which debuted in 2014, will make its public debut in March at the official pre-season 'Prologue' WEC test held at Circuit Paul Ricard in France where the new car numbers will be on display. A testing crash last week by Porsche driver Marc Lieb created a temporary setback, but the program has continued.

"In February our intensive test and training program kicked off in Abu Dhabi," Seidl added.

Defending LMP1 champions Timo Bernhard, Brendon Hartley, and Mark Webber will pilot the No. 1 while the No. 2 will continue with Romain Dumas, Neel Jani, and Lieb.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/ite...mpions-porsche

well 39 now,

40 DAYS TO GO UNTIL THE PROLOGUE!

The first official occasion that all 2016 FIA World Endurance Championship competitors will be on track together will be Friday 25/Saturday 26 March at Circuit Paul Ricard, Le Castellet in the south of France. The Prologue takes place just 40 days from now!

As well as four on-track test sessions over the two days, this will be the first opportunity for many teams to reveal their 2016 challengers, including the new Toyota TS050 HYBRID and 2016 evolutions of the Audi R18 e-tron quattro and Porsche 919 Hybrid, not forgetting the new Ferrari 488 GTE and Ford GT cars.

Entry to the circuit is FREE for fans on Saturday 26 March. As well as watching cars on track, fans can see them up close and meet the drivers during a Pitwalk/autograph session between the morning and afternoon sessions.

Sessions take place as follows:

Friday 25 March - 09h00 to 13h00 /14h00 to 21h00 (closed to the public)

Saturday 26 March - 09h00 to 13h00 / 14h00 to 17h00

little video to get the blood pumping..

Last edited by Rob; 16th February 2016 at 07:11.

tickets came yesterday got little missions i wil try to do, first get picture with Leena and second get picture with Louise Beckett.

Duval admits reliability a concern with new Audi

Audi WEC driver Loic Duval admits reliability is a concern for the German marque ahead of its return to testing.

While Audi and Toyota will continue their preparations in Europe, Porsche will be at Yas Marina to continue running in its updated Porsche 919 Hybrid.

For Audi, this week's testing programme ends a two-month break in testing after its week at Sebring in December.

Duval, who will share the No.8 Audi R18 e-tron quattro with Oliver Jarvis and Lucas di Grassi, said that having a trouble-free test will be the main worry.

"The car is really different and some great work has been done by the team. It looks really promising," Duval told Motorsport.com.

"The real question mark when you change everything like we have done is the reliability because it is all so new.

"The main thing is the hybrid which is brand new technology for us so even if we have worked with it for a while, it is still really complex," continued Duval.

"I think that in terms of performance we will be there, but of course it is still too early to say too much at this stage."

"There is still much to do"

Audi Motorsport boss Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich meanwhile admitted that the German manufacturer still has "much to do" with its testing programme before the new R18 is fully ready to race.

"We have a completely new car," Ullrich told Motorsport.com. "The goal of each new part is that it is better than the previous car.

"We're on schedule, we are in the process of understanding of systems, how to use them for performance and reliability. There is still much to do."

Asked to predict where Audi might be in this year's competitive pecking order, Ullrich added: "You never know until the first race. We are focused on our work, we know that we must make progress with the new car.

"It is certain that the competition will be at a very high level this year. Toyota year has a new car, we have a new car, both will be faster than last year, so the competition will be intense."

Im sure by time the prologue and even Silverstone Audi will be on top of the new car. Like see how Toyota are doing, see if they have made the gains needed to make it a 3 way fight this year.

Best shot could find of new Toyota, the Porsche, i think is running 2015 body but nearly all 2016 under the skin. And Audi, well all new.

ASTON MARTIN RACING LAUNCHES NEW GTE CHALLENGER AND 2016 TITLE HOPES

Aston Martin Racing unveil 2016 GTE challenger and new collaborations with Dunlop Motorsport, TOTAL and IQ Option
    V8 Vantage GTE trio to battle for honours in FIA World Endurance Championship
    Two V12 Vantage GT3s to contest the Nürburgring 24 Hours

19 February 2015, Gaydon: Aston Martin Racing has today unveiled its ambitious plans for the 2016 season, its latest V8 Vantage GTE challenger and an exciting new collaboration with global energy supplier TOTAL and tyre supplier Dunlop.

The premiere GT-racing outfit, which enters its twelfth year of competition, will field a three-car campaign in this year’s FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) and 24 Hours of Le Mans; two contesting the GTE Pro class and a single entry in GTE Am. The three entries will look to extend the brand’s 23 overall wins in FIA WEC; more than any other manufacturer.

With a raft of new regulation changes including a greater freedom on aero development, the team has unveiled its latest 2016 V8 Vantage GTE; the car which shall support the outfit’s GTE Pro entries. Boasting a fully re-designed aerodynamic package including a distinctly pronounced new rear diffuser, the team remains confident that it will be able to challenge at the sharp end of what will prove to be an extremely competitive WEC field.

New for the 2016 season, Aston Martin Racing will run exclusively on Dunlop rubber throughout the FIA WEC. Working closely together on testing and development throughout the winter months, the V8 Vantage GTE will be equipped with the latest Sport Maxx GT racing tyres.

To extract the ultimate performance from a world-class GT racer, a high-calibre squad of drivers is essential. Aston Martin Racing doesn’t disappoint for the new season and while retaining familiar faces, the team is proud to announce a rebalanced line-up in its GTE Pro entries, with all drivers held on long-term contracts.

The #95 GTE Pro entry will see the Danish pair of Nicki Thiim (DN) and Marco Sørensen join Aston Martin Racing stalwart Darren Turner (GB) for the 2016 season. The second Pro entry of #97 will be occupied by the equally exciting trio of Richie Stanaway (NZ), Jonny Adam (GB) and Fernando Rees (BR).

In GTE Am, the #98 will return with an unchanged line-up, as Paul Dalla Lana (CA) hunts championship success alongside Pedro Lamy (P) and Mathias Lauda (A).

While the action promises to be exhilarating on the track, Aston Martin Racing is also pleased to announce an exciting new collaboration with French energy specialist TOTAL. Joining the team for the 2016 season, TOTAL will provide technical support both at the factory and each round of the WEC season. Boasting over 60 years of knowledge and research in automotive fluids, TOTAL’s branding will also feature as part of the V8 Vantage GTE’s distinct new ‘Stirling Green’ livery; a shade shared with the brand’s most select sports cars.

Meanwhile, in its fourth year of competition at the infamous Green Hell, Aston Martin will again field two V12 Vantage GT3s in the Nürburgring 24hrs’ top-tier SP9 class, demonstrating the firm’s commitment to top-level international GT racing. The new 2016 V12 Vantage GT3, now also equipped with Dunlop rubber, will be cloaked by new sponsor IQ Option; a leading global binary option broker. The brand will provide full-livery backing to this year’s #007 N24 challenger, while also holding a prominent space on all FIA WEC entries.

All cars to be campaigned in the WEC, 24hrs of Le Mans and at the Nürburgring are derived from Aston Martin’s road-going Vantage range. Today’s Vantage line-up – comprising four distinct models using one of two advanced engines; V8 Vantage, V8 Vantage S, V12 Vantage S and the exclusive Vantage GT12 – represents a clear and strong link between road car and race car.

Aston Martin Racing is also pleased to announce that men’s designer clothing brand Hackett, will continue its relationship with the team in 2016; supplying all team and replica wear.

David King, Head of Global Motorsports, Aston Martin commented, “It’s fantastic to launch our 2016 race programme here at Aston Martin’s Gaydon headquarters. It’s an important point in time for the brand with the upcoming launch of DB11 and the 2016 motorsport season is an equally exciting prospect. Motorsport is a key part of Aston Martin’s DNA and it’s vital that we’re represented by such a strong line-up. We’re very much looking forward to our home race at Silverstone and the first opportunity to see the 2016 V8 Vantage GTE in competitive action”.

John Gaw, Managing Director of Aston Martin Racing said, “We’re pleased to welcome our new sponsors and technical collaborators to the Aston Martin fold. With an extremely competitive World Endurance Championship ahead of us, I’m confident we have our strongest driver line-up to date and we can expect plenty of success throughout the season”.

Aston Martin Racing’s 2016 season kicks off with The Prologue, the official WEC test session at Circuit Paul Ricard in France on 25 and 26 March. The opening round of the championship, the Six Hours of Silverstone, takes place on 17 April and Nürburgring 24 Hours begins on 28 May.
    Join in with the team on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using the hashtag #teamAMR.

-ENDS-

Driver line-ups:
    World Endurance Championship and 24 Hours of Le Mans

GTE Pro
    95: Nicki Thiim, Darren Turner, Marco Sørensen
    97: Jonny Adam, Richie Stanaway, Fernando Rees

GTE Am
    98: Paul Dalla Lana, Pedro Lamy, Mathias Lauda

Nürburgring 24 Hours
    006: Richie Stanaway, Jonny Adam, Fernando Rees, Mathias Lauda
    007: Nicki Thiim, Marco Sørensen, Darren Turner, Pedro Lamy

Driver quotes:
    Darren Turner: “This will undoubtedly be a different year to the past three WEC seasons that I’ve been involved in, but I’m very much looking forward to partnering with Nicki and Marco in the #95”. Testing has gone very well during the winter months and I think we’ll be in with a strong chance by the time Le Mans comes around in June”.

Richie Stanaway: “After a strong start to 2016 placing fourth at the Daytona 24hrs, we’re all feeling confident going into 2016. It’s great to partner Fernando again and to also have Jonny permanently in the car. I’m sure he’ll make a great addition”

Nicki Thiim: “Stepping up to GTE Pro was a great experience last year and I can’t wait to do the same again. I’m really happy to be partnering with Darren and Marco and I think we have a really good chance to compete at the top of the championship”.

Pedro Lamy: “I’m really excited for both the FIA WEC and Nürburgring 24hrs this year. We have unfinished business in both but I think we have everything right to get the results we want this season”.

2016 racing calendar

WEC Six Hours of Silverstone: 17 April

WEC Six Hours of Spa-Francorchamps: 7 May

Nürburgring 24 Hours: 28/29 May

24 Hours of Le Mans: 18/19 June

WEC Six Hours of Nürburgring: 24 July

WEC Six Hours of Mexico City: 3 September

WEC Six Hours of Circuit of the Americas: 17 September

WEC Six Hours of Fuji: 16 October

WEC Six Hours of Shanghai: 6 November

WEC Six Hours of Bahrain: 19 November

forgot to post up AMRs press release the other week about them teaming up with Dunlop

Not sure what to think of 2016 Vantage unfortunately if you have not got a mid engined car, you cannt, or will not be able to expoilt the full aero freedom at the rear.

IMSA WEATHERTECH SPORTSCAR CHAMPIONSHIP HEADLINES FOUR-DAY SEBRING FEBRUARY TEST.

CONTINENTAL TIRE CHALLENGE, MAZDA PROTOTYPE LITES, PORSCHE GT3 KICK WEEK OFF.

Less than one month after winning the season-opening Rolex 24 At Daytona, Tequila Patrón ESM will be among the 33 confirmed IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship teams visiting Sebring International Raceway on Thursday and Friday, Feb. 25-26, as part of an official four-day test.

Ed Brown, Scott Sharp, Pipo Derani and Johannes van Overbeek will share the Daytona-winning No. 2 Tequila Patrón Honda Ligier JS P2, preparing for the 64th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh From Florida on Saturday, March 19. The race is Round 2 of both the WeatherTech Championship and Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup.

"The entire Tequila Patron ESM team is still riding high after our Rolex Daytona 24 win,” said Sharp. “What a great way to kick off our year and I'm so proud of everyone's effort! The schedule moves on and next on the list is the Sebring 12 Hour. The second leg of the Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup and our home track. Certainly another very important race for us. The test next week is the only chance we will get to tune our Honda/Ligier and we are excited to see how the car performs.”

Michael Shank Racing with Curb/Agajanian is also bringing its No. 60 Tire Kingdom Honda Ligier JS P2 to Sebring. Team veteran Ozz Negri knows well the importance of securing additional seat time at the Central Florida circuit.

“The rough bumps, the change of the track surface and the high-speed Turns 1 and 17 make the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring all the more challenging,” said Negri. “Also, the Florida heat puts a brutal beating on crew, car and driver.”

On top of competing in the full 2016 WeatherTech Championship season, Michael Shank Racing is preparing for its 24 Hours of Le Mans debut in June, where the team will join eight others that compete full time in the 2016 WeatherTech Championship. Negri is excited for the opportunity, but is focused on the task at hand.

“I’ve always heard that Le Mans is tough but that Sebring is tougher,” Negri said. “So, if you can get through Sebring, it’s definitely good prep for Le Mans.”

The eight-car Prototype entry list includes the top four finishers from the Rolex 24. The pair of Honda/Ligiers will be joined by four Corvette DPs, the Highway to Help Riley DP and the Panoz DeltaWing Racing DeltaWing coupe round out the current entry in the class.

Ford Chip Ganassi Racing has entered both of its Ford GTs in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) class, joining single entries from BMW Team RLL, Porsche North America and Risi Competizione Ferrari.

Six manufacturers each will be represented by multiple entries in GT Daytona (GTD), including four Lamborghinis, three each from Audi and Porsche, and two cars from BMW, Dodge and Ferrari.

Prototype Challenge (PC) includes the Daytona-winning JDC-Miller Motorsports ORECA FLM09, plus the 2015 Sebring-winning PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports entry, the two-time defending champion CORE autosport as well as a single entry from BAR1 Motorsports.

The WeatherTech Championship sessions conclude a four-day event that also features four of IMSA’s additional series. The Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge, Mazda Prototype Lites Presented by Cooper Tire, Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge USA by Yokohama, and Ultra 94 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Canada by Yokohama will have alternating sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday, Feb. 23-24.

Sessions on each of the four days run from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The test will be open to the public at $10 per day, or free to ticket holders for the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. There will be no overnight camping.

http://www.imsa.com/articles/imsa-we...-february-test

CORVETTE DPS PLACE 1-2 IN DAY 1 OF WEATHERTECH CHAMPIONSHIP TEST AT SEBRING

BMW FASTEST IN GTLM, AUDI UNOFFICIALLY FASTER THAN GTD TRACK RECORD

Felipe Albuquerque and Dane Cameron drove Corvette DPs from Action Express Racing to the top-two positions on the speed chart Thursday during the first day of a two-day IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship test at Sebring International Raceway.

The test allows teams to prepare for the 64th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh From Florida, Round 2 of the WeatherTech Championship and Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup, set for Saturday, March 19.

Albuquerque set the fastest lap of the day in the afternoon session in the No. 5 Mustang Sampling Corvette DP, 1:51.965, while Dane Cameron led the morning action, running 1:52.306 (119.887 mph) in the No. 31 Whelen Engineering/Team Fox Corvette DP.

BMW and Audi were quickest in the respective GT Le Mans (GTLM) and GT Daytona (GTD) classes.

BMW Team RLL paced both sessions in GTLM, with Bill Auberlen, Dirk Werner, John Edwards, Lucas Luhr and Kuno Wittmer sharing the No. 25 IHG Rewards Club BMW M6 GTLM. The car’s best lap was 1:58.780 (113.352 mph).

Second with a lap of 1:59.073 (113.073 mph) was the No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTE of Toni Vilander and Davide Rigon. Porsche North America brought one of its two cars to the test, with the No. 911 Porsche 911 RSR of Patrick Pilet and Frederic Makowiecki with a lap of 1:59.170 (112.981 mph).

Ford Performance brought both of its Ford GTs to the test, which was split into a pair of four-hour sessions on Thursday.

GTD unofficially saw 11 of the 17 unofficially eclipse Jeroen Bleekemolen’s track record, set last year in a Dodge Viper GT3-R. Lawson Aschenbach led the day, running 2:01.822 (110.522 mph) in the No. 9 Stevenson Motorsports Audi R8 LMS GT3.

Leading the four Prototype Challenge (PC) entries was the No. 54 CORE autosport ORECA FLM09 of Jon Bennett, Colin Braun and Mark Wilkins, with an unofficial track record lap of 1: (11 mph).

NOTES AND QUOTES

· Ford Performance announced on Thursday that four-time Champ Car titlist Sebastien Bourdais would join Dirk Muller and Joey Hand in the No. 66 Ford GT for Sebring, while Scott Dixon would join Ryan Briscoe and Richard Westbrook in driving the 67 Ford GT for Ford Chip Ganassi Racing. Both Bourdais and Dixon participated in the team’s testing.

“I was involved in a bit of the early stuff with this program in a few tests at the end of last year, but I didn’t get to drive it at Daytona,” Dixon said. “Obviously, it’s a big change from the Prototype to the GT, but it’s a fun program to be part of. It’s nice to come here, run a few laps and make the car as durable as possible.

“It’s definitely different from anything I’ve driven here at Sebring. The car is still early on in its life cycle, so there’s a lot of room to develop things. It’s a new book; there are a lot of directions you can go, and it’s nice to be driving something you can have some influence.”

· The test marked the debut of the Ferrari 488 GT3 in IMSA, as Christina Nielsen, Alessandro Balzan and Jeff Segal co-drove the No. 63 Scuderia Corsa entry. It was the car’s first time out in the U.S. after an initial shakedown in Italy.

“I did my first laps in the car this morning, and it was amazing,” Nielsen said. “We still have a few things to work on – one of them is seat position, because we have a bit of a size difference – but the car is very responsive and it’s nice to drive on the track. The other teams have had their new cars for Daytona, and it’s nice to finally be part of the game.”

· Ben Keating, No. 33 and No. 93 Riley Motorsports ViperExchange.com Dodge Viper GT3-R: “I’ve always felt like the Viper liked Sebring compared to the other cars in our class; this year, it seems every GTD car likes Sebring. So I guess Sebring likes GT3 cars and the advantage we’ve had is gone all of a sudden. … There are a lot of fast cars out there. I’m doing about the same lap time that I did last year. Last year, it was a really good lap time. Today, it’s slow as molasses.”

· In its competition debut, Dream Racing tested in the WeatherTech Championship for the first time with the No. 27 Lamborghini Huracán GT3 for regular drivers Larry DeGeorge and Cedric Sbirrazzuoli, joined at the test by Paolo Ruberti and Fabio Babini.

“I’ve been to Sebring once before, for last year’s World Final,” said Sbirrazzuoli. “After the race, I got to do three or four laps with a Huracán GT3 which had a Daytona setup. That’s completely different from the setup we’re running at this test. This is a new experience for me, starting now. I used to do endurance racing in Europe, now I’m doing endurance racing in the U.S.”

The team had an off-course excursion late in the morning session that resulted in left-front damage.

“Just a dumb mistake,” DeGeorge said. “I was carrying too much speed into the corner. The back end got loose, and I tried to save it. The damage looks mostly cosmetic. We’ve got our other car; we’ll work on it and we’ll be ready for tomorrow.”

· Testing continues on Friday for all WeatherTech Championship competitors, running from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with a one-hour lunch break.

Source:
    IMSA
    - See more at: http://www.imsa.com/articles/corvett....QZEOYGdx.dpuf

Gimmi and James are testing aswell at Ricard.

1 month today

i now only a big test, but really pumped for it. See 488 in her new livery. See what Audi, Porsche and Toyota have got and done to the new cars. And also if Ford have fixed the problems.

fantastic come back...

1993 Le Mans Driver Tweets, Multiple Le Mans Winner & WEC World Champion Responds

Sometimes, just sometimes, social media throws up a real moment of comedy. Here’s one to savour.

After 1993 Le Mans driver and later F1 race winner David Coulthard offered his informed opinion of the relative levels of commitment required in 24 Hour racing and Formula One it attracted much predictable response

None more so though than the offering this morning from three times Le Mans winner and 2012 FIA WEC Drivers Champion (and, lest we forget, an F1 Grand Prix driver with a single start for Caterham in 2014).

The offerings on this debate from, amongst others, Nico Hulkenberg, Allan McNish and Mark Webber are keenly awaited here!

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...-responds.html