Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 2016 WEC, IWTSC, ELMS thread.

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    there has only been 1 all year.
    I know, drag that. I guess I just hate to see a car
    so beautiful, and purpose fulfilling to be put out to pasture.
    The racing in wec is very exciting. Dont get me wrong..I think the 488 is
    a very beautiful race car. Guess Ive never been a turbo fan....get it? lol...

Shame the AF Corse 488s couldn't get the better of the Astons in Mexico but looks like it was an eventful race, at least the Fords got whacked! 2nd and 4th not what we wanted but it looked pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Shame the AF Corse 488s couldn't get the better of the Astons in Mexico but looks like it was an eventful race, at least the Fords got whacked! 2nd and 4th not what we wanted but it looked pretty close.
    A podium was best hopes due to the altitude. The thin air really, "hurt" us and the Fords more than the Astons and Porsches. But, with the wet conditions, the race came to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I know, drag that. I guess I just hate to see a car
    so beautiful, and purpose fulfilling to be put out to pasture.
    The racing in wec is very exciting. Dont get me wrong..I think the 488 is
    a very beautiful race car. Guess Ive never been a turbo fan....get it? lol...
    it is very exciting, love it. 488 is new era. 458 has done her job, and really well.

RISI COMPETIZIONE HEADS TO HOMETOWN COTA CIRCUIT
    SEEKING A STRONG RESULT

Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTLM No. 62: Giancarlo Fisichella (ITA)Toni Vilander (FIN)

Houston, Texas (September 13, 2016)...Houston, Texas-based Risi Competizione is pleased to return to the Circuit of the Americas (COTA) for its hometown race this weekend. The Lone Star Grand Prix race at the 3.4-mile, 20-turn Formula 1 road circuit in Austin, Texas on Saturday, September 17, will be the penultimate race of the 2016 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season.

The Houston, Texas-based Risi Competizione pilots Italian Giancarlo Fisichella and Finn Toni Vilander are ready to overcome their recent bad luck in the debut of the twin turbo mid-engine No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTLM for success on the teams' hometown Austin, Texas circuit.

The Risi Competizione Ferrari 458 at COTA Tower in 2015

The Risi Competizione team has competed at COTA three times since 2013 and has one podium result last year (2015), with Fisichella and teammate Pierre Kaffer finishing second after qualifying eighth in GTLM class. Fisichella also competed at COTA in 2014 with Kaffer to a fourth-place finish. All COTA entries have been in the Ferrari 458 GT.
    This year will be Toni Vilander's first IMSA race and third time competing at COTA (2013, 2014 and 2015). Vilander has two World Endurance Championship (WEC) podiums (2013 and 2014) with AF Corse in a Ferrari 458 LMGTE Pro class.
    Both drivers will be making a special appearance in downtown Austin on Wednesday, September 14 from 8:00-10:00 p.m. at Pop Austin, a champagne bar. Giancarlo Fisichella will be using his internationally acclaimed DJ skills as he performs live as DJ Fisichella turning EDM tunes for race fans. Toni Vilander will assist his teammate as emcee for the evening. Special guests and prizes will be part of the evening pre-race festivities to promote the IMSA Lone Star Grand Prix.

Rick Mayer, Risi Competizione Race Engineer:
    What makes COTA challenging for the Ferrari and what about the track plays to the Ferrari's strengths?
    "It has two relatively long straights, the high speed esses, the long carousel and many first and second gear slow corners. It's a very long lap so each practice session will not yield many actual laps. This track is very difficult to setup for. The Ferrari is fairly easy on tires and this track is hard on tires. That could give us a slight advantage if the race stint yield long lap runs."

Is the team looking forward to racing in front of a hometown crowd with Risi Competizione?
    "Home races have the advantage of a lot less travel time and a relatively short drive as opposed to all day in airports. That's always a welcome start and end to a home event. Many of the teams' friends, family and many employees from the dealerships will be there to cheer the team on. Hopefully we'll have some home race luck!"

What do you think will be the key to success in the COTA race?
    "Very difficult to say, certainly not just one thing. You need good general pace and quick pit work and, of course, some good luck. We've been a bit short on that lately. Good tire life will help if the race stints are long."

Does the team have what it takes to keep persevering despite the unfortunate and disappointing events in the most recent races this season?
    "We look at each race as a separate challenge and event. We go to each event as we did the first. This is the best crew I've ever worked with and they don't give up or cry over spilled milk (so to speak). We are here to race and win, nothing less."

There's only two events left this race season. What do you most want to accomplish in these final two races?
    "To win both events is the only real goal for us. Other teams may be looking forward to 2017 and be working different agendas. Balance of Performance (BoP) is so important now; it's a constant concern now and in the future."

Giancarlo Fisichella, driver, No. 62 Ferrari 488 GTLM:
    You've raced both the WEC 6 Hours of Austin and IMSA Lone Star Le Mans race events. What do you think about the circuit and the two races?
    "First of all, I like COTA. It's a very nice circuit, a last generation circuit. It has some very nice corners, especially the first part, the high speed corners, where it is left right left right. It's a very challenging circuit. It could be a good circuit for us. In the past I raced with WEC and the last couple of years in IMSA. I'm looking forward to it."

How do you like the COTA Circuit and do you enjoy racing on a Formula One circuit again?
    "Yes, I never raced here in a Formula One car, just GT cars. It's a nice circuit. We expect a lot of fans and I'm happy to race here this weekend."

There's only two events left this race season. What is your strategy going into this race weekend?
    "I think we have a little extra boost for the engine from the BoP, so this is good. It could be a good step to fight for the podium for sure. The last couple of races we were there but unlucky. The pace has been good. This weekend we will fight to win the race. This is very import to us. We are looking forward to a first win of the season. The crew will do a great job as usual on the pit stops. I am really looking forward to this and last race at Road Atlanta too."

Are you looking forward to racing in front of a hometown crowd with Risi Competizione?
    "I enjoy that. It will be extra power for us. It's very important for us to have people around the circuit cheering for us. It is our home grand prix and very important for us to get on the podium."

How do you like the town of Austin and do you have any fun plans?
    "Austin is very nice place, a nice town. There are lots of fantastic restaurants, especially the beef is very good. I have been there for F1 weekends and it's unbelievable. Wednesday there is a big event for my Risi Competizione team at a champagne club and discothčque and there will be lots of people and we will raise money for charity. I will do the DJ, which is my hobby. I like it. I think we will enjoy this event all together with our team, with other racing people and our fans."

Toni Vilander, driver, No. 62 Ferrari 488 GTLM:
    You've been on the podium twice at this circuit. What are your favorite things about racing at COTA?
    "I like the track, especially the first sector is very nice."

You've raced only in the 6 Hours of Austin WEC race events. This being a shorter race with IMSA competition, what can you do to ensure staying out front and ahead of the tough GTLM competition?
    "We must have a good, solid race. Pit stops here have been quite good. It would also be nice to have a race without major contact."

Are you looking forward to racing in front of a hometown crowd with Risi Competizione?
    "Yes, it is great to be back racing in COTA and with our many Risi fans."

What is your overall feeling going into the final two races of the season?
    "We want to win them both!"

How do you like the town of Austin and do you have any fun plans?
    "I like it. There are great restaurants in downtown. I'm looking forward to see how Giancarlo's DJ gig goes on Wednesday night. We should have some fun."

Practice for the Lone Star Grand Prix at COTA begins on Thursday, September 15 at 10:25 a.m. CDT for one hour and again in the afternoon from 4:35-5:35 p.m. Friday will have a one-hour morning practice session, followed by a 20-minute qualifying session for the GTLM class at 4:10 p.m. A Saturday early morning practice from 8:00-8:20 a.m. CDT will be followed by the start of the 2 hours and 40-minute Lone Star Grand Prix WeatherTech race, which runs counter-clockwise, at 11:35 a.m. Live timing and scoring is available for all on-track sessions at IMSA.com and the IMSA Smartphone app.

Following the IMSA race will be the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) six-hour enduro race starting at 5:00 p.m. and run into the night.

Tune-In Information:
    Live coverage of the Lone Star Le Mans airs Saturday, September 17 at 11:30 a.m. CDT (12:30 p.m. EDT) on FOX Sports 2 and the FOX Sports GO app. The race will be streamed live in its entirety for international audiences on IMSA.tv and the IMSA Mobile App, which will also provide live in-car camera footage and IMSA Radio commentary throughout the race for all viewers.

Beautiful pix n nice article Rob..488 is great looking too..

Aston Martin Racing set for Texan WEC rodeo

Aston Martin Racing set to take on the sixth round of the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC)
    British outfit leads GT Manufacturers’, GTE Pro and GT Drivers’ title battle
    Team focused on repeating 6 Hours of Mexico victory

Wednesday 14 September, Austin, Texas: Aston Martin Racing returns to the track this week at Austin’s Circuit of The Americas, as the team looks to repeat its recent victory at the 6 Hours of Mexico.

Following the series’ last round in Mexico City, Aston Martin Racing now leads three of the FIA World Endurance Championship’s GT titles on offer. With only four events left of the season, Aston Martin Racing will look to extend that lead and consolidate its bid to become world champions in Bahrain in November.

In GTE Pro, the pairing of Marco Sørensen (DN) and Nicki Thiim (DN) hold a slender championship lead with their #95 V8 Vantage GTE. After both setting the top two fastest laps in Mexico and claiming third place on the podium last time out, the pair remain hungrier than ever to take their first win of the year.

Sørensen said, “We’ve gone away from Mexico happy with third but disappointed that we couldn’t take that first place. We’ve taken the time to refocus during the past week and we’re ready to hit this weekend at full speed. The American fans are always really good fun and I hope we can put on a really great show for them”.

Current GT Drivers’ championship leader Darren Turner (GB), who will be partnered by Fernando Rees (BR) this weekend in the #97 Valero liveried V8 Vantage GTE, said ahead of the race weekend, “After the win in Mexico City it would be good to think that we can keep the momentum going this weekend. COTA is an event that I enjoy so let’s hope we can have a successful race in the #97 car. It’s always easier to defend championship positions from the top of the table so we’ll be doing everything we can to stay at the top”.

Both cars will be aiming for podium places, in a bid to stretch the team’s lead in the GT Manufacturers’ title also.

The #98 V8 Vantage GTE of Paul Dalla Lana (C), Pedro Lamy (P) and Mathias Lauda (A) will also be competing in the FIA WEC’s GTE Am class this weekend.

Paul Howarth, Team Principal Aston Martin Racing said, “Mexico was a great race for us. We were able to capitilise on the strength of our V8 Vantage GTE and convert that into a strong points haul. We expect our competition to come back stronger here in Austin, particularly after the change to the Balance of Performance this week, but the team is well prepared and we’re solely focused on victory here in both the Pro and Am classes”.

The 6 Hours of Circuit of The Americas begins at 17:00 local time on Saturday 17 September.

- Ends -

We should be back to normal running this weekend. Im Mexico, AMR and Porsche had their air restrictor enlarged for the altitude. But, the BoP wasnt balanced right for the turbo cars. Ford, didnt really trouble anyone. We only got near the front due to us being able to do couple more laps on the fuel.

Evening Rob, are you looking forward to what should be another enthralling race? It's good to see others are starting to show an interest in our little WEC series

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    Evening Rob, are you looking forward to what should be another enthralling race? It's good to see others are starting to show an interest in our little WEC series
    good to see that others starting to show interest. Its great series, great racing.

Tonights race will be close, hard and a cracker. Spoke to Gimmi earlier, they got caught out made small mistake same as #71 crew and missed pole. Think, from what im now understanding, could been a 1-2. But, never mind. The 488 is quick here. Cannt wait.

picture from my good friend Paula...

picture from my good friend Paula...

http://i67.tinypic.com/2akbjf9.jpg
    That's a stunning picture!

I too think we'll be in for a cracker What channel will you be watching?

That's a stunning picture!

I too think we'll be in for a cracker What channel will you be watching?
    I will be Motors TV, but will flick between that and Eurosport for HD.

Go guys go!!! Sgonna be a good race to watch...

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Go guys go!!! Sgonna be a good race to watch...
    yeah sure is mate.

I will be Motors TV, but will flick between that and Eurosport for HD.
    Yes bit of toss up isn't it?

Shame BT Sport haven't got it again. Hopefully BT had decent enough viewing figures last time out.

Yes bit of toss up isn't it?

Shame BT Sport haven't got it again. Hopefully BT had decent enough viewing figures last time out.
    i did hear that BT sports had it for the rest of the year. Odd. I like Hindy and Graham commentary. But Eurosport, WEC in HD, mmmm please.

i did hear that BT sports had it for the rest of the year. Odd. I like Hindy and Graham commentary. But Eurosport, WEC in HD, mmmm please.
    Yes I enjoy them too! They're both very good at responding to tweets as well even if they're not ones they mention on air. I do love me some HD, SD looks rubbish to me now lol!

Eduardo Freitas legend!

I'm not entirely sure that start was legal :D

I never get bored of an LMP1 rolling start!

#51 getting track limit warnings. Again...

Rob do you know how many laps we are short on the Astons fuel wise?

Rob do you know how many laps we are short on the Astons fuel wise?
    if its like Mexico, we should be 1-3 laps longer. But we wait and see. We got pace, really good pace.

wouldnt be surprised if #51 pits first.