Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 2016 WEC, IWTSC, ELMS thread.

Audi Sport & The End Of An Era

A brief thank you to all concerned

Audi’s sportscar racing programme has dominated the sport for over a decade and a half and it’s end after the 2016 season, announced today, should be a source of profound sadness for all who hold the sport dear.

Even beyond the numbers, 13 Le Mans wins, record breaking performances at Sebring, Petit Le Mans and elsewhere, latterly it has been the spirit with which the programme has conducted itself that has defined the effort.

audi-le-mans-winners-2000-2014

For it to fall due to poor judgement within the core group is particularly galling, the knock-on effects of ‘Dieselgate’ hurting the whole company, and effectively sounding the death knell to diesel technology at VAG in the coming very few years.r

With that move well underway and the inevitable cost-cutting that must precede a predicted firestorm of legal actions and claims across the world then casualties within group programmes were inevitable.

Latterly there has been a sense of growing urgency in the Audi camp about securing racing result that just would not come. Realistically that likely would not have made much difference, but the fumbles likely made the decision easier to sell!

7-audi-fia-wec-cota-2016-race-pits

There’s a lot more to be written on this issue but now feels like the time to say thank you.

To the whole team, the drivers of course but also its engineers, designers, technicians , the always approachable and direct team management, and our friends in the communications team.

Dr-Wolfgang-Ullrich

They showed the other world manufacturers what could be achieved on track, and in the marketplace, outside the established and dominant forms of the sport and they have done it with real and lasting class and sporting spirit.

Thank you Audi Sport for 18 years of achievement. You will be sorely missed.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Following Audi’s announcement today about its withdrawal from endurance racing, comments of Pierre Fillon, Président of the Automobile Club de l'Ouest and Gérard Neveu, CEO of the FIA World Endurance Championship are below:

Pierre Fillon, President of the Automobile Club de l'Ouest :

“It was with emotion that we all learned this morning about Audi’s decision to withdraw from endurance racing. Although prepared for this, we regret the departure of a major figure in endurance racing for a different adventure. Present at Le Mans since 1999, the German firm has written some of the finest and strongest pages in the history books for the 24 Hours of Le Mans and, more recently, the WEC. More than a competitor, the marque with the four rings has been a real contributor in recent years to the tremendous growth of endurance racing across the world.

“To reduce costs for manufacturers is a major focus for the ACO, in partnership with the FIA. Furthermore, these two organisations have clearly set the course for the coming years: stay at the forefront of innovation while offering the best possible platform for new technologies in preparation for the cars of tomorrow.

“Hybrid technology and electric motors are already part of our daily lives in endurance racing. The changes to the technical regulations towards hydrogen-electric power responds straight away to the energy requirements of this new era.

“We salute the work carried out by the Audi Sport and Team Joest teams who have done a remarkable job, and a particular thought goes to my friend Wolfgang Ullrich.

"One door closes and, at the same time, another one opens with the already-announced arrival of other manufacturers.

"For all fans of endurance racing and motorsport enthusiasts, see you next week in Shanghai for the penultimate round of the FIA ​​WEC and in 2017 for the 24 Hours of Le Mans.”

Gérard Neveu, CEO of the FIA World Endurance Championship:

“We understand this decision, although obviously we regret the departure of a major player in the WEC. Audi has been involved in endurance racing for 15 years, and more particularly in the first five seasons of the FIA World Endurance Championship.

“Today we spare a thought first for everyone at Audi Sport and at Team Joest. Drivers, engineers, mechanics and team members for whom this news is painful. We offer them our admiration and gratitude for their extraordinary sporting performances in the WEC since 2012.

“The WEC is made up of a grid of 32 cars, 20 teams, with four categories and six manufacturers entered. In a week’s time, in Shanghai, Porsche and Toyota will be battling on track for the 2016 LMP1 world title, as Ferrari and Aston Martin will be for the GTE title.

“One manufacturer is leaving, others will soon be arriving. This is the life of a championship.”

Good run Audi had...Anyone know where they are going?

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Good run Audi had...Anyone know where they are going?
    Formula E

Its real shame. They been massive part of the endurance racing. Set new standards. Think with the whole VW emission-gate. Diesel isnt seen as the clean anymore. As that was Audis racing marketing, clean diesel. Now they been hit (VAG) with the massive massive fine, they have decided to pull Audi out of WEC/Le-Mans. Porsche is also in the VAG group, and with reports of Audi and Porsche spending 500 million each a year, they had to make cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Formula E

Its real shame. They been massive part of the endurance racing. Set new standards. Think with the whole VW emission-gate. Diesel isnt seen as the clean anymore. As that was Audis racing marketing, clean diesel. Now they been hit (VAG) with the massive massive fine, they have decided to pull Audi out of WEC/Le-Mans. Porsche is also in the VAG group, and with reports of Audi and Porsche spending 500 million each a year, they had to make cuts.
    Good point you mention ... with Porsche the VAG group had 2 hot iron in the game. Whereas Audi was always supporting the Diesel Technology. And since the emission-gate VAG Group seemed to decide that one part of the group is enough at WEC and Audi looking forward to new playground - maybe cheaper playground with focus on new technology. Hopefully we see them back again - maybe in 10 years or so.

Nevertheless: sad news for the sport ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

WILL AF CORSE TAKE LMGTE AM TITLE IN CHINA?

They have led the 2016 championship since the very first race at Silverstone over six months ago, but the AF Corse trio of Emmanuel Collard, François Perrodo and Rui Aguas are now close to sealing the deal and being crowned champions.

Two wins, including a maximum WEC score at the Le Mans 24 Hours, and four second places have underpinned their season with the venerable and reliable Ferrari 458 Italia. The French/Portuguese alliance has built a 33-point lead going into the final two rounds which means that a win again this weekend, irrespective of what their closest rivals achieve, would see them crowned.

Indeed, if the Aston Martin Racing trio of Paul Dalla Lana, Mathias Lauda and Pedro Lamy take pole and the class win this weekend, the AF Corse can merely finish third and still take the trophies.

It has been a supremely consistent season for the No.83 AF Corse crew, and the most experienced of the drivers – Emmanuel Collard believes that team spirit and a willingness to help one another has paid dividends.

“It has been a good season and it is a season in which we have played a cool game and improved a lot,” said the two time Le Mans class winner. “I take satisfaction from working with François (Perrodo) and in the last few years we have made very good progress. There have been very few mistakes this season, and if we are able to win it this season it would be fantastic because we were quite close last year.”

While the three Ferrari drivers are not being complacent, it would take big problems for them to not take the crown this season. The Aston Martin Racing squad of Dalla Lana, Lamy and Lauda will be aiming for a fifth win of the season to heap pressure on their rivals until the final race in Bahrain.

“We just have to keep doing what we are doing and get poles and wins,” says Dalla Lana. “The points that were lost at Le Mans take a lot of making up but, since COTA, we have had excellent races. We will just keep our heads down and concentrate on finishing the season as best we can. Then we will see where everyone is in the (points) tables.”

Also in with a mathematical possibility of taking the title are Khaled Al Qubaisi and David Heinemeier-Hansson. The Abu Dhabi Proton Racing duo enjoyed a fine win at Mexico City but a problematic Fuji race has seen them 41 points behind the leaders and clinging onto the need for an unlikely set of circumstances in order to challenge.

One thing is for sure, the LMGTE Am class will be as competitive as ever with a fascinating mix of professional and amateur racers battling it out head to head in China and Bahrain.

Peugeot tech chief calls for low-cost non-hybrid LMP1s

Peugeot Sport boss Bruno Famin believes FIA World Endurance Championship organisers should consider the idea of a cheaper alternative to the current LMP1 rules without hybrid systems.

The French manufacturer has not been involved in sportscar racing since withdrawing from LMP1 on the eve of the 2012 season, the first year that hybrid energy recovery systems were introduced to the rulebook.

Peugeot has repeatedly stated that the cost of competition in WEC is currently too high to consider a comeback, especially as it has recently invested heavily in its cross-country rally programme centred around success in the Dakar Rally.

In an exclusive interview with Motorsport.com, Famin argues that WEC organisers need to consider alternative ways to promote efficiency that don’t involve costly hybrid systems.

He suggests a dramatic lowering of the minimum weight that currently stands at 875kg as one means to achieve this.

“WEC is not sustainable, even if the spirit of the rules is good,” said Famin, just prior to Audi's announcement of its withdrawal from LMP1.

“There are three major manufacturers who want to show off their innovation and the technology they have developed, but the costs are so high no one else will join them in those conditions.

“I would like to propose a different way of achieving efficiency, namely minimum weight reduction. If you want to reduce emissions and fuel consumption, there are ways of doing it without using hybrid systems.

“The FIA, the ACO and other manufacturers need to discuss it. They will have to lay the foundation for regulations that allow other brands to be able to win with a smaller budget.

“Remember in 2008 in America, the Penske team ran with a 780kg LMP2 car, the Porsche RS Spyder.

"Today we need to think about doing something similar.”

Global schedule costs

Famin also highlighted the need to not only cut the cost of car development in WEC, but also of racing worldwide to provide a better return on investment for manufacturers.

“Not only should we work to reduce the cost of designing the car, we should also work to reduce that of a season based around the Le Mans 24 Hours,” he said.

“It's a fantastic event, no question, but it only lasts a week, while the rest of the championship provides a return that is good but not exceptional.”

It is not directly linked to WEC but regards to Audi quit WEC ... VW also quits from Rally sports by the end of the year. Even the 2017 car is finished. So Diesel-Emission-Gate must have hit them really bad to cut cost that big way ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

Formula E

Has diesel ever been clean? While half of road cars in Europe may be diesels due to lax emissions standards, it was inevitable they would have to cheat to pass stricter US standards. It's all well and good optimising CO2 emissions, but what about all the other noxious pollutants that arise from diesels? I've never liked Audi's promotion of such a dirty fuel and am not sad to see it end.

Most cars in my area are diesels and sound like an angry fleet of black cabs. Anecdotally, I feel there is a better standard of air in the US in major cities due to the difference in emissions. I expect there are studies that validate this. There have been numerous articles warning of the harmful effects of diesels for years, but there has been too much industry investment for any real meaningful change.

I wish them well in Formula E. I watched a few races last year and while I found it generally okay (minus the gimmicks such as fan boost), it will be more interesting when they advance to the point a car change isn't required mid race.

I'm so so so gutted that we're losing Audi, I'm extremely saddened about it, silly I know! They've been such an integral part of endurance racing they will really be missed!

First lap safety car at Shanghai!

#71 in to change one tyre due to a puncture running over debris.

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    I'm so so so gutted that we're losing Audi, I'm extremely saddened about it, silly I know! They've been such an integral part of endurance racing they will really be missed!
    Going to be odd without them for sure.

First lap safety car at Shanghai!

#71 in to change one tyre due to a puncture running over debris.
    Thank heavens it was only that.

#71 oh no, hope dont get penalty.

#83 only got to finish 3rd in AM to take the title.

Penalty for pit stop infringement now! :(

Phew!!! no penalty!

Rob is your picture cutting out or is just mine?

Rob is your picture cutting out or is just mine?
    yeah, really anoying.

Again the Fords quick here. Seems, still got bit more BoP waiver on the boost pressure. So, we racing the Aston for 3rd, and for titles.

#51 first stop..

couple pics from Friday

Again the Fords quick here. Seems, still got bit more BoP waiver on the boost pressure. So, we racing the Aston for 3rd, and for titles.
    This BoP has been really unfair on our team and not the first time. Ford were nowhere during practice but then clawed back 3 seconds between 1st & 3rd practice. Then #67 goes 1.2 seconds faster in quali than they were in FP3, some serious sandbagging going on.

Yes Ford may have gotten their setup perfected over the course of free practice but our cars were fairly consistent but yet we still get penalised. Think I heard AF Corse team made some sort of protest but we don't get to hear much news on LMGTE Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaJay View Post
    This BoP has been really unfair on our team and not the first time. Ford were nowhere during practice but then clawed back 3 seconds between 1st & 3rd practice. Then #67 goes 1.2 seconds faster in quali than they were in FP3, some serious sandbagging going on.

Yes Ford may have gotten their setup perfected over the course of free practice but our cars were fairly consistent but yet we still get penalised. Think I heard AF Corse team made some sort of protest but we don't get to hear much news on LMGTE Pro.
    Ford taking ACO/FIA for fools this weekend again. FIA said it changed the boost pressure for atmospheric conditons.

Amato and the whole team lodged complaints. The BoP penalty we got, sorry sorry, adjustment was our 10th this year. 10TH!!!! There is sometimes max 4or 5 changes in a season. But 10? Anyway, Amato told the FIA/ACO, that if BoP isnt fixed and and the adjustments put back to Fridays settings he would pull the team out of final out at Bahrain and the 2017 season.

The whole BoP has got to be sorted before next year. Its got out of hand.

Ford taking ACO/FIA for fools this weekend again. FIA said it changed the boost pressure for atmospheric conditons.

Amato and the whole team lodged complaints. The BoP penalty we got, sorry sorry, adjustment was our 10th this year. 10TH!!!! There is sometimes max 4or 5 changes in a season. But 10? Anyway, Amato told the FIA/ACO, that if BoP isnt fixed and and the adjustments put back to Fridays settings he would pull the team out of final out at Bahrain and the 2017 season.

The whole BoP has got to be sorted before next year. Its got out of hand.
    Yes I had a feeling we'd been penalised more than any other team, very frustrating when the so called balance is applied unfairly. I thought the BoP was changed after every race and not during the course of the weekend. OK so circuit characteristics change\make a difference but this weekend showed some teams are not playing fair.

BoP = Balance Of Protectionism.

Below the FIA GT championship points 2016 for sandbagging:

1 Ford 1016 pts -> Best lobbying: congrats.
    2 Aston 1015 pts
    111 Ferrari: 0 pts -> Disqualified by FIA because NO sandbagging.

At end season a public sandbagging ceremony :)

Solution?
    Weight penalty for sandbaggers: extra weight = 25 x (Best Time Free practice - Qualif time) A time difference of 2 sec = 25 x 2 = 50 kg extra weight. Applicable above 25 kg.
    Last edited by Frank Dhont; 6th November 2016 at 16:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Dhont View Post
    BoP = Balance Of Protectionism.

Below the FIA GT championship points 2016 for sandbagging:

1 Ford 1016 pts -> Best lobbying: congrats.
    2 Aston 1015 pts
    111 Ferrari: 0 pts -> Disqualified by FIA because NO sandbagging.

At end season a public sandbagging ceremony :)

Solution?
    Weight penalty for sandbaggers: extra weight = 25 x (Best Time Free practice - Qualif time) A time difference of 2 sec = 25 x 2 = 50 kg extra weight. Applicable above 25 kg.
    At least we're 1st in the GT Manufacturers classification, 10 points ahead of Aston Martin and 40.5 ahead of Fraud (I mean Ford)

That could change if BoP favors AM in the final race, our boys just need to have a good race.

GTE Pro has the potential to be an extraordinary finale to decide the three titles that are up for grabs.

In the World Endurance Cup For GT Drivers standings, the Danish Aston Martin duo of Nicki Thiim and Marco Sorensen hold a 12-point lead over Davide Rigon and Sam Bird in the #71 AF Corse Ferrari, with the Olivier Pla and Stefan Mucke #66 Ford GT a further nine points back.

As it stands, the Ford GT has hit form with the recent wave of BoP changes, and is the car to beat. But the #66, which is yet to win a race this season, would have to win and hope for bad luck to hit the #95 and #71 crews. Realistically, the fight is between the Aston Martin and Ferrari.

Eliminated from contention at Shanghai was Darren Turner in the #97 Aston Martin Vantage, who retired from the race from the damage sustained from the collision at the start between the #45 Manor Oreca and teammate Richie Stanaway.

As a result of the #97 failing to finish, it’s advantage Ferrari in the World Endurance Cup For GT Manufacturers race, with the Italian brand extending its lead to 10 points over Aston Martin. Ford is still just about in the running, but a 39.5-point deficit will likely be too much to overcome.

Ford does have a shot at the GTE Pro Teams Title though, with the #67 and #66 Ford just two and 10 points back respectively from the #95 Aston Martin. Both AF Corse Ferraris also have a chance too, with the #71 and #51 cars further back, 12 and 21 points off the lead.

All but over in GTE Am

Both GTE Am titles are yet to be decided, but after a second place finish following KCMG’s post-race penalty after the 6 Hours of Shanghai, the #83 AF Corse Ferrari holds a 25 point lead over the #98 Aston Martin. To win the titles, all Manu Collard, Rui Aguas and Francois Perrodo have to do is either set pole, or finish the race at Bahrain.

Credit to Paul Dalla Lana, Pedro Lamy and Mathias Lauda for doing what they needed to do at Shanghai, which was win at all costs, but unless the 458 fails to finish the final race of the year, it can’t win.

Even if the AF Corse trio do retire, the #98 team needs to win the race, and therefore win title based on number of wins. A pole position converted into a win in that situation would however win them the Teams and Drivers Championships by a single point. It’s all unlikely but still possible!

The 2016 World Endurance Championship season concludes at the Sakhir Circuit in Bahrain on the 19th of November.