Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Le-Mans 2016 Race thread

in AM we got #83 in 3rd but a lap down, enough time to pull it back. #61 #55 4th and 5th
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

He broke a wheel..
    Very sad moment...

We still have Fisico though..
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Toni

Toyota going strong still, so good to see. Porsche, still hanging in there.

Very strange LeMans... 2 Ferrari's out.. Audi nowhere near the front..
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Come on Toni! You can close the gap!

Rob, do you know the rising temperature in the next hours can help us?
    Ford seems to have the upper hand, but our #82 Risi dark horse car (or maybe Red Horse), the only Ferrari left battling with the Fords since last evening, have been fantastic!
    Come on guys! Show the wonderful back of our 488GTE to those Fords!

:((

#82 in the gravel (pushing very hard probably), when only 2.8 seconds down on the leader

back in the garage now. Still in second place, but the fight for the win it's over, unless the leader will have some issues

Looks like my horses will have to be happy for 2nd places. Fords are just too fast with their sandbagging and Toyota is way too fuel efficient.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Still looking good. The night time racing was a bit tense with the lead alternating between the Toyotas and the Porsche but looks promising now. A shame about Kobayashi's off track excursion.

I had a few glances towards GTE Pro and was very disappointed. AF Corse have had a disaster and Risi too with Vilander's spin. They should have brought in Fisi earlier to relieve the pressure. Now it looks like Ford will be grandstanding about this for the next 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Looks like my horses will have to be happy for 2nd places. Fords are just too fast with their sandbagging and Toyota is way too fuel efficient.
    Didn't they get a bigger fuel tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Kristof_F40 View Post
    Didn't they get a bigger fuel tank?
    who?

always smiling Gimmi, its tough sometimes, but we keep pushing and keep fighting.

We will probably lose 2nd in GTE... Rear lights not working, orange flag
    Last edited by Kyss4k; 19th June 2016 at 12:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    who?
    Toyota?

OMG Toyota!!

OH MY GOD! This is insane! Toyota out with 4 minutes left

Well when you ad 45 kg to our cars, its gotta show up
    somewhere.

The winners take a lap of honour at Le Mans but who would have ever said Porsche would be involved in it just 15 minutes ago?

UK Time
    Scuderia Corsa pick up the victory in the LM GTE AM class, Jeffrey Segal leading the Ferrari outfit across the line

The #82 Ferrari has now been given a stop/go penalty for incorrect leader lights. Currently running in second place in GTE-Pro. This one could run on for a while...

Words fail me. Feel utterly devastated. It will take a long time to get over that.

Yes, thats really a tough one for Toyota, but my race is w/the Ferrari's.
    To have Risi called to the pits near the end of a 24 hour battle for a light?

Terrible shame for #5, know how that feels to have win snatched away like that. Real shame, but our sport is like that.

Risi drove good race, always there,and P2 in the end. Light issue, thats the rules, #51 had same trouble in Austin, last year. Just shame for #51 #51 that had end that way.

Scuderia Corsa GTE AM winners

Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    Words fail me. Feel utterly devastated. It will take a long time to get over that.
    that was such bad "luck" if you want to call it. Hard way to loose a 24hr

What a race weekend...Mixed emotions...I would have loved to see us win GA Pro, but am delighted
    to see us win GTAM..I checked all nite, it appears we swapped lead w/the Ford. Of all cars to get edged by.
    Then theres the GP, which we did ok, but good race from Ferrari on all fronts.
    3 races, 1 win and 2 seconds. Darn Ford.
    Good ole 458.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    What a race weekend...Mixed emotions...I would have loved to see us win GA Pro, but am delighted
    to see us win GTAM..I checked all nite, it appears we swapped lead w/the Ford. Of all cars to get edged by.
    Then theres the GP, which we did ok, but good race from Ferrari on all fronts.
    3 races, 1 win and 2 seconds. Darn Ford.
    Good ole 458.
    Couldn't agree more, it's been a roller-coaster weekend, gutted for the AF Corse cars and Toyota and only one Ford got lucky being ahead of us and on the same lap after 24hrs. No mean feat!

So this isn't over yet is it?

GTE-Pro Race-Winning Ford GT Penalized Post-Race

Both the 24 Hours of Le Mans GTE-Pro race-winning No. 68 Ford GT and the second-in-class No. 82 Risi Competizione Ferrari 458 Italia GTE have been penalized post-race, following a series of stewards decisions issued Sunday evening.

The Dirk Mueller, Joey Hand and Sebastien Bourdais-driven entry has been given a 50-second post-race penalty due to speeding in a Slow Zone, following a protest lodged by Risi Competizione.

Additionally, the Ford was found to have had faulty wheel speed sensors, with a further 20-second penalty added.

With the original margin-of-victory being 1:00.200, the penalties would have given the Risi Ferrari the class victory, but the Houston-based team was also hit with a post-race time penalty of its own.

The Stewards upheld its ruling to force Risi to repair its car’s broken leader lights, following a protest lodged by Ford Chip Ganassi Racing in the final hour of the race.

The team has been given a 20-second post-race penalty and 5,000 Euro fine as a result of not adhering to the black-and-orange flag.

A Risi team representative told Sportscar365 they will not appeal the ruling.

The post-race penalties do not change the final race positions, with the No. 68 Ford still claiming the class win, ahead of the No. 82 Ferrari and No. 69 Ford third in class.

It’s understood a protest, lodged by Ferrari, alleging the Ford GT was outside of the GTE-Pro performance window in the race, is still ongoing, with no ruling yet made by the stewards.

Multiple Protests In Wake of GTE-Pro Finish at Le Mans

The drama from Sunday’s 24 Hours of Le Mans hasn’t ended with the waving of the checkered flag, as there have been multiple protests issued, all involving the GTE-Pro finish.

Sportscar365 has learned that Ford issued a protest against the No. 82 Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTE in the final hour of the race due to the Ferrari not having functional leader lights.

Risi was given a stop-and-go penalty for the infraction but the American team did not serve the penalty.

Toni Vilander, Giancarlo Fisichella and Matteo Malucelli crossed the line second in class, celebrated on the podium, but all GTE-Pro trophies were taken from drivers and team principals following the ceremonies.

Additionally, Ferrari has issued a joint protest against Ford post-race, alleging that the American manufacturer’s Ford GTs violated the ACO’s performance window between the LMP2 and GTE-Pro classes.

The so-called “7 Percent Rule” enforces a 7 percent performance gap between classes, which the manufacturers have alleged Ford broke during the race.

When asked about the protests, Chip Ganassi Racing Managing Director Mike Hull told Sportscar365 that he was aware of the protest against Ford but was not aware of the protest Ford lodged against the Risi team during the race.

Manufacturer representatives, as well as team principals are currently meeting with ACO and FIA officials to review the protests.

No way they are going to take that victory away from Ford..

Quote Originally Posted by Kristof_F40 View Post
    No way they are going to take that victory away from Ford..
    If you look at the 1st 2 races where Ferrari were killen it, then look at the "adjustments" that were made ala BoP for lemans, then no, they wont take that away from ford.
    I aint sayen nutten, but it shore do look like they wanted a ford win...but hey, I aint sayen nutten.

NEWS FLASH..I just read on facetube that Ferrari will be testing an LMP1 car in 2017...
    Not sure how true it is, but it was there.

HEARTBREAK FOR TOYOTA GAZOO RACING AT LE MANS
    Sunday 19 June 2016

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing finished second in the 84th edition of Le Mans 24 Hours but had the victory taken from its grasp in a cruel late twist.

Both TS050 HYBRIDs took turns to lead the race as part of an exciting battle with the #2 Porsche and was poised to win with the #5 crew of Anthony Davidson, Sébastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima before incredible late drama.

Starting what would have been the penultimate lap, with Kazuki at the wheel, the #5 suffered a sudden loss of power. Despite strenuous efforts to restore drive, the car struggled round the lap and stopped on the start-finish line. It was eventually restarted and completed the final lap too slowly to be classified.

The #6 of Stéphane Sarrazin, Mike Conway and Kamui Kobayashi, a long-time leader of the race which suffered its own troubles late in the race, finished second, behind the winning #1 Porsche.

That marked TOYOTA’s sixth podium finish, its fifth second place, in its 18th Le Mans since a debut entry in 1985.

The race was one of the closest fights in Le Mans history, with three cars locked in an intense battle for the entire 24 hours.

As a new car for 2016, the TS050 HYBRID, with its powerful 2.4litre turbo engine, 8MJ hybrid system and redesigned chassis, did not start the race as favourite but demonstrated its potential by setting the pace throughout.

Better fuel efficiency from the TS050 HYBRID allowed it to complete 14 laps per stint, while its rivals pitted one lap earlier. That reduced the number of stops required and contributed to a fascinating battle for the win.

Prior to the late drama, the TS050 HYBRID had suffered few issues. The #5 needed an additional pit stop early in the race due to severe tyre vibrations, while the #6 lost 30secs to repair minor bodywork damage following contact with a lapped car.

After 20 hours of flat-out racing, the top three were covered by less than 30 seconds, but soon the #6 dropped out of the battle for second, spending nine minutes in the garage to repair bodywork. Nevertheless, it resumed in a comfortable third place.

There was no respite for the team in a nervous finale as the #5 held off its rival until, with the race seemingly heading TOYOTA’s way, 260,000 stunned fans witnessed one of the most dramatic finales in the history of Le Mans.

The team will analyse the cause of the problem as part of its preparations for the 2017 Le Mans 24 Hours, which begin immediately.

Toshio Sato, Team President: “I am incredibly proud of our team effort, not just today but since Le Mans last year. Thank you to the team in Higashi-Fuji and Cologne, as well as our partners Oreca. The way we have responded to the pain of our 2015 disappointment, by developing an all-new chassis and powertrain in a short timeframe, has been impressive and the performance of the TS050 HYBRID was strong. We worked as one team and took part in an amazing Le Mans 24 Hours. Congratulations to Porsche on its victory. I have no words to describe our emotions today. It is simply heartbreaking but we will return stronger and more determined to win.”

TS050 HYBRID #5 (Anthony Davidson, Sébastien Buemi, Kazuki Nakajima)
    Race: Not classified, 384 laps, 28 pit stops. Fastest lap: 3min 22.495secs
    Grid: 4th

Anthony Davidson: “That was an unbelievable end to such a difficult race. You couldn’t have written the way it ended; no-one would ever have believed a movie if it ended like this. So to actually live through the experience is pretty hard to take, but it will make us stronger and we’ll be back.”

Sébastien Buemi: “It’s hard to find the words for what has happened today. We were in control of the race and were so close to the win that we all want. This is the biggest race of the year so it’s even tougher to accept. It is so disappointing for the whole team; we did the right preparation and we had the car to win. So we already look to next year when the target will be clear.”

Kazuki Nakajima: “First of all thank you to all the team members; we did everything right. The car was great to drive. It was tough to have Porsche #2 only 30 seconds behind me towards the end but we had the pace and we managed it very well. It was only two laps missing and it’s a pity we didn’t get the trophy; the team deserved to win. When I was doing my last lap to the chequered flag, all the marshals and fans were really kind to me and that was very emotional. I want to say thank you for that. Let’s come back stronger and grab that trophy.”

TS050 HYBRID #6 (Stéphane Sarrazin, Mike Conway, Kamui Kobayashi)
    Race: 2nd (+3 laps), 381 laps, 28 pit stops. Fastest lap: 3min 21.445secs
    Grid: 3rd

Stéphane Sarrazin: “It was amazing; to lose the lead right at the end is just incredible. Even in your worst nightmares you don’t think about that. The team did a great job. Car #6 was fast and fighting for the lead for 20 hours. We showed we have a strong car with good pace and a strong team. But it was incredible to finish like that.”

Mike Conway: “I have mixed feelings. Second is okay but we are all gutted for car #5. They drove a great race and were controlling it. You could see how upset everyone was; I really feel for them. We were fighting up there all race at the front so it was a good race in terms of the performance of the car. It’s okay to get one car on the podium but we wanted more.”

Kamui Kobayashi: “Unfortunately our second position was not what we wanted. We are here to win so I am not really happy. We showed the car has strong performance and our car set the fastest lap of the race. I feel really sorry for car #5, all the crew, drivers and engineers. They did a great race. They fought back through difficult moments and deserved to win.”

Race Result
    1st #2 Porsche (Dumas/Jani/ Lieb) 384 laps
    2nd #6 TOYOTA GAZOO Racing +3 laps
    3rd #8 Audi (di Grassi/Duval/Jarvis) +12 laps
    4th #7 Audi (Fässler/Lotterer/Tréluyer) +17 laps
    5th #36 Alpine (Menezes/Lapierre/Richelmi) +27 laps
    6th #26 G-Drive (Rusinov/Stevens/Rast) +27 laps