Thread: Massa retiring at end of 2016

Massa retiring at end of 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37245221

Think it's probably the right decision but he will be missed for sure.

Sad to see Massa go... Wanted him to win so much in 2008

Massa retiring at end of 2016

Always a team man, Felipe a great ambassador for this sport.

I guess Button will go back to Williams then

Felipe always seemed happiest at Ferrari. I think he's had
    a great career as I will always remember him as a Ferrari driver.
    Cool Felipe.

As a Belgian, I'm happy because it probably means a room for Stoffel Van Doorne at Mclaren or Williams. It's not Ferrari, but it's better than nothing !

It was about a time....

Unhappy to see Felipe go. Not his number 1 fan, but I liked the guy because he was a great team player, and not one to enter stupid accidents. He is a solid driver, and plenty of teams would have benefited from his experience.

Brazil 2006. The best memory...brasil_039.jpg

Farewell, Felipe Baby! You will be missed sir.

My favorite Massa memory, maybe of all of F1, is this dice with the much missed Kubica:

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Sad to see Massa leave, but I can understand his decision. Williams isn't getting competitive anytime soon, and there aren't any better opportunities around.

In many ways Massa was the winner of 2008, I'd say he was the top driver that year. Luck just wasn't on his side that fateful day. He can leave the sport being proud of what he had achieve, and a Ferrari winner badge to his name.

ps: I'll missing seeing his dad in the paddock too. He's one of the most supportive parents I've seen in F1, he practically followed Massa around the world every year. Amazing dad

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    In many ways Massa was the winner of 2008, I'd say he was the top driver that year. Luck just wasn't on his side that fateful day. He can leave the sport being proud of what he had achieve, and a Ferrari winner badge to his name.
    I agree. I have still not forgiven Alonso for Crashgate. Had Renault not done that, Massa may not have scrambled into the pit from the lead, may not have been released with the fuel hose still attached, may have won that race keeping him well clear of that single point.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Really sad to see Felipe retiring from F1, he has given us and every team he's raced for complete dedication, he can leave with his head held high and must be one of the most respected and loved guys in the paddock. I have supported him through thick and thin, it was a huge loss when he left Ferrari but not having him on the grid at all will be even greater. But maybe it is for the best and I wish him well whatever he does next.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    It was about a time....
    Stefa, I said the same when Schumy retired.... and look at the mess he made comming back! I wish Felipe a great uninterupted retirement. If he returns to F1 let it be as an ambassador and advisor for Ferrari, I wish! And who knows, his son may well be the next Massa @ Ferrari !

Think he will be driving with Ferrari in sports cars. :)

Not completely unexpected but still the news hit me. Attending the Abu Dhabi GP this year will be very special for me. Goodbye and best of luck to my champion!

I will miss seeing him on the grid, but he's getting out of F1 at the right time. Williams are sliding down the grid again, F1 is pretty dire to watch atm, and watching him race hasn't been the same for me since he left Ferrari. I shall be upset on the day of his last race but it won't be as bad as his last race for Ferrari.

I'm hoping that the winky emoji on this tweet means something but I will try (and fail) not to get my hopes up - https://twitter.com/ScuderiaFerrari/...114048/photo/1

Whether he races somewhere else or just stays at home getting fat, I will support him whatever he does. He has conducted himself impeccably throughout his time in F1 and it really won't be the same without him. Let's hope he hangs around the back of the Ferrari garage like Michael used to
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Stefa, I said the same when Schumy retired.... and look at the mess he made comming back! I wish Felipe a great uninterupted retirement. If he returns to F1 let it be as an ambassador and advisor for Ferrari, I wish! And who knows, his son may well be the next Massa @ Ferrari !
    Yep.

FerrariSteve Guest
    2 years too late tbh, but good luck to him in whatever he does next.

To lose another charismatic driver and they are thin on the ground these days is bad enough but when it's one you have followed since he stepped into an f1 car is beyond sad!!!!
    I can't say it was a shock but we will miss him.
    Leaving Ferrari was hard to bear but it prepared us for this time!

Thank you Felipe baby.

Forza Jules

Seems like the right time for him to leave F1, such a shame he never won that title in 2008 but we all know he was our champion anyway.

Forza Felipe
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Seems like the right time for him to leave F1, such a shame he never won that title in 2008 but we all know he was our champion anyway.

Forza Felipe

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post

Forza Felipe
    yup, he was our champion for a good few seconds, before Glock let Hamilton pass him so easily to claim that point need to win the WDC that year.....such a shame as Felipe worked really hard that year and he was on his way to win the WDC, but it was not meant to be i guess...

but deep down for me he was a true champion that year

It's not going to be the same without my little Felipe out there.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Think he will be driving with Ferrari in sports cars. :)
    That sounds good to me, I'm sure this isn't the end of his racing career.