Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: So I want to get into WEC... What do I need to know?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,615

    So I want to get into WEC... What do I need to know?

    I caught some of Le Mans this year and am thinking about trying to get into WEC, especially since Monza was such a borefest. Clearly, our team is AF Corse. Please school me on this series. Thanks in advance.

    FORZA FERRARI!
    Tous avec Jules #17

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stowmarket. U.K
    Posts
    16,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I caught some of Le Mans this year and am thinking about trying to get into WEC, especially since Monza was such a borefest. Clearly, our team is AF Corse. Please school me on this series. Thanks in advance.
    yes come and join the well kept secret.

    No seriously, its an amazing series. First of all, alot of people say/think ARGH!!!! 6 hours long. But in those 6 hours, you get a whole F1 season of action. Start with what you said, yes our team is AF Corse, they a factory team, but not factory team. All drivers Ferrari factory drivers, but the team is "independent" They all open and friendly, drivers Gimmi, James, Davide and Sam, ultra quick, super driver pairings. And in GTE AM #83 are super quick in the 458, and what a sound.

    Pretty much in LMP1 rules, they all given set of rules, but all 3 teams have got 3 different ways to come to the same conclusion, Porsche 919 a V4 twin turbo hybrid, Audi R18 V6 TDI, twin turbo hybrid and Toyota V6 twin turbo. And all of them, are in 1200 BHP park. Toyota pretty built this years car for Le-mans, which they so so nearly dd. Audi and Porsche are pretty close, well in mixed conditions or if the track is more "twisty" Audi got slight edge. Those cars are awesome to watch launching out of slow speed corners. Amazing.

    LMP2, as of next year will be nearly a spec class, to reduce costs and reduce the number of teams build one off cars. In that you have Ligier and Oreca chassis, one of the best classes, alot of hard close, some times fair racing.

    GTE, is always action, since Le-Mans, Fords have not be as quick (what a surprise) When i watch a race, i will have live timing on laptop just for GTEpro AND AM, but on phone will have live timing for all LMP1.

    Next race is 6hrs of CoTA, or Lone Star Le-Mans its being titles as. Last year was wet, really wet. Cannt wait. Gimmi out there now with family road tripping it. They went to Grand Canyon today.

    FratelliFerrari (Marnix) is loving it now, he been Spa and Nurbergring this year, I be Silverstone past couple years, will be there again next year. And Nurbergring, maybe be cycling there for charity. If on facebook im on there Marnix is too, and chack out AF Corse WEC fanpage.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stowmarket. U.K
    Posts
    16,811
    Also, another thing. At the races, tickets cheaper. Plus, teams are more open, drivers alot alot more approachable, Open paddock.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maributo Key
    Posts
    5,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Also, another thing. At the races, tickets cheaper. Plus, teams are more open, drivers alot alot more approachable, Open paddock.
    And there are Ferrari's..Killer Ferrari's although not as many as in previous races.
    For awhile, the lower classes had loads of 458's. Its great racing.
    Actually, I was into Sports racing and prototype (prototipo) cars b4 F1. But Im old,
    so I remember the 275LM;s, the 312's, 512's, P3/4's etc, and got into
    F1 around 72, 73...Cheesh Im old

    Great series though, killer racing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stowmarket. U.K
    Posts
    16,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    And there are Ferrari's..Killer Ferrari's although not as many as in previous races.
    For awhile, the lower classes had loads of 458's. Its great racing.
    Actually, I was into Sports racing and prototype (prototipo) cars b4 F1. But Im old,
    so I remember the 275LM;s, the 312's, 512's, P3/4's etc, and got into
    F1 around 72, 73...Cheesh Im old

    Great series though, killer racing.
    wow they were some amazing cars back then. Lucky.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,615
    Thanks, Rob. Looking forward to washing the gross taste of Singapore Qualifying out of my mouth by watching COTA this afternoon.

    FORZA FERRARI!
    Tous avec Jules #17

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stowmarket. U.K
    Posts
    16,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Thanks, Rob. Looking forward to washing the gross taste of Singapore Qualifying out of my mouth by watching COTA this afternoon.
    going be good race mate. Should be close at the front of GTE. Davide, made minor mistake, if he didnt that lap was good enough for pole.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •