Thread: Malaysia considers giving up on F1 race

Question Malaysia considers giving up on F1 race

The future of the Malaysian Grand Prix will be determined this week amid calls for the country to stop hosting the Formula 1 race.

Sepang has been the home of the Malaysian event since it joined the calendar back in 1999, but ticket sales have been declining over the past years.

According to Sepang CEO Datuk Ahmad Razlan Ahmad Razali, sales for the grand prix reached only 60 percent recently, in contrast to the MotoGP event, which is expecting a sell-out for this weekend's round of the championship.

Local media reported Razlan as saying the TV viewership for this year's Malaysian Grand Prix was the "lowest in history".

The circuit has a contract to host the grand prix until 2018, but a meeting between Sepang's shareholders and the ministry of finance will be held this week to decide the event's future.

Razlan said Formula 1 was no longer an exciting sport and that the country should re-consider the future of the grand prix.

"Maybe it will do Malaysia good to take a break," Razlan was quoted as saying by Malaysia's The New Strait Times.

"I think the product [F1] is no longer exciting. It's being dominated by one team."

Malaysia's minister of youth and sports Khairy Jamaluddin, meanwhile, called for the country to give up the Formula 1 race and instead focus on MotoGP, which he said was much more affordable.

"I think we should stop hosting the F1. At least for a while. Cost too high, returns limited," Jamaluddin said on Twitter.

"When we first hosted the F1 it was a big deal. First in Asia outside Japan. Now so many venues. No first mover advantage. Not a novelty.

"For the record I still think we should host MotoGP. 1) Cheaper fee and cost, 2) Sellout crowd, 3) We have riders in Moto2 and 3."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ma...ce-842575/?s=1
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Such is the state of F1. Ive always liked Malaysia, the long front n back straights are great for
    TV viewing. But I can see their point..F1 IS boring..add to that a lot of people dont like hybrid
    racing, no screaming motors which I feel is very important. After 3 years of seeing nothing but
    Elton and rosberg on the podium, Im not too thrilled about F1 either.

I have a feeling more tracks will follow in these footsteps should F1 continue the way it is now. People get bored very easily and nothing in the regulation over the last 10 years have made the sport more exciting.

Many of us share these views, and F1 is in danger of losing other venues unless the races can generate income for promoters, interest for fans, and proper racing at a realistic price for the local public to be able to support it. It currently doesn't appear to do any of that!

Wow, could this be the beginning of a "domino effect" among host tracks? That could take down F1 rather quickly even if Bernie has some "exotic" venues waiting to sign on.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by abbottcostello View Post
    Wow, could this be the beginning of a "domino effect" among host tracks? That could take down F1 rather quickly even if Bernie has some "exotic" venues waiting to sign on.
    It's also worth mentioning that they doesn't have any problems with attaining MotoGP. It's cheaper and more exciting.
    However, F1 wont stop to exist in the foreseeable future. It's a great development platform for new technology. I mean why test in closed doors when you can test in a commercial championship that will bring your money back and plus some?
    However, it's a problem for the tracks as it's too expensive to host an F1 race. But on the other hand, tracks can be always replaced. Except tracks like Monza and Spa of course. If it becomes a problem, F1 management will make it cheaper and problem solved.
    Last edited by Stormy; 26th October 2016 at 10:18.

Bernie will no longer be " the head " of F1 ......Liberty Media Group bought out F1 and its debt. New Owners now.

Hi,

Long time since I've posted here. I stopped going to Sepang F1 since 2014. (that year I only went to the free practice) , it's sad but true. I do pass by the circuit from time to time.
    I surely miss the old days.. I've moved on to other hobbies :(

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Bernie will no longer be " the head " of F1 ......Liberty Media Group bought out F1 and its debt. New Owners now.
    Hopefully Liberty will realize how great the Indy Speedway is and bring F1 back! 170,000 + in attendance is nothing. Ferrari did pretty well there!

FerrariSteve Guest
    This is what happens when Merc dominates so vastly and their drivers don't even race wheel to wheel. (I dont count spain. lol)

Malaysia will not extend F1 deal, says minister

9 hours ago

Malaysia will not extend its contract to continue hosting a Formula 1 race after the current deal comes to an end in 2018, the country's tourism and culture minister said on Monday.

The future of the Malaysian GP was thrown into doubt last month after a meeting between Sepang's shareholders and the ministry of finance, following poor ticket sales and what local media reported to be the lowest TV viewing figures in the event's history.

Malaysia's minister of youth and sports Khairy Jamaluddin had said the grand prix was too expensive, and that the country should give up on it to focus on the more popular MotoGP race instead.

Sepang has a deal to host the F1 grand prix for another two years, but tourism and culture minister Nazri Abdul Aziz said on Monday that the contract would not be renewed.

"The current agreement is from 2016 to 2018. So once that ends, there will be no more [F1]," Aziz told local media.

"F1 attendance is dropping and there is less attraction now. We are spending RM 300 million a year [$97 million].

"The cost of hosting F1 has increased 10-fold compared to the first time it was held."

The news comes after Bernie Ecclestone said Singapore also wanted to give up its Formula 1 race.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ma...nister-852486/
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE