Thread: Singapore wants to drop F1 race, says Ecclestone

Exclamation Singapore wants to drop F1 race, says Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that Singapore Grand Prix chiefs no longer want to hold a Formula 1 race there.

There has been speculation for several months that Singapore was questioning whether or not it would renew its current contract, which runs out after next year’s race.

But in an interview with German publication Auto Motor Und Sport on Sunday, Ecclestone said that his belief was that Singapore was not going to extend its race deal.

He also said that he would not be surprised if some of the current manufacturers – including world champions Mercedes – quit in the next few years, too.

“It could happen to us that Mercedes and Ferrari run away,” explained Ecclestone. “But honestly, if the races get better, this may not be such a terrible vision.

“We have to expect the manufacturers to leave us anyway. Mercedes will retire on the day when it suits them and it’s something we had before – look at Honda, BMW and Toyota. They go when Formula 1 has done the job for them. There is no gratitude.

“It is the same with the organisers. Look at what we have done for Singapore. Yes, the Grand Prix has cost Singapore a lot of money, but we’ve also given them a lot of money.

“Singapore was suddenly more than just an airport to fly to or from somewhere. Now they believe they have reached their goal and they do not want a grand prix anymore.”

The doubts about the long-term future of the Singapore GP come amid serious question marks about both the German and Brazilian Grands Prix for 2017.

Speaking about the races that have not yet been confirmed, Ecclestone said: “We do our best to keep Canada on he calendar. In Brazil we try the same, even if it is difficult.

“In terms of Hockenheim. We cannot subsidise the race in Germany, if we do not do the same with other races in Europe.”

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/si...ne-852227/?s=1
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

What a conceited twit (spelling modified for our faithful mods) !

“It could happen to us that Mercedes and Ferrari run away,” explained Ecclestone. “But honestly, if the races get better, this may not be such a terrible vision.
    Good luck selling out those stands or getting TV ratings without the Tifosi.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Malaysia is dropping too! What could Bernie the Eck and rule-makers be doing wrong I ask with tongue painfully in cheek?

yup, it's all about the profit.
    Forza Ferrari

About time they should deregulate over regulated F1. Let fans enjoy racing, it will bring crowds & money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What a useless windbag. I thought he sold the controlling interests? Why is he even talking? Crawl into your coffin already you troll. You ruined F1 and now you are postulating why it sucks. It sucks because of you and the FIA, you dolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    Malaysia is dropping too! What could Bernie the Eck and rule-makers be doing wrong I ask with tongue painfully in cheek?
    Malaysia I would be sorry to see go. Singapore not so much.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Malaysia will not extend F1 deal, says minister

9 hours ago

Malaysia will not extend its contract to continue hosting a Formula 1 race after the current deal comes to an end in 2018, the country's tourism and culture minister said on Monday.

The future of the Malaysian GP was thrown into doubt last month after a meeting between Sepang's shareholders and the ministry of finance, following poor ticket sales and what local media reported to be the lowest TV viewing figures in the event's history.

Malaysia's minister of youth and sports Khairy Jamaluddin had said the grand prix was too expensive, and that the country should give up on it to focus on the more popular MotoGP race instead.

Sepang has a deal to host the F1 grand prix for another two years, but tourism and culture minister Nazri Abdul Aziz said on Monday that the contract would not be renewed.

"The current agreement is from 2016 to 2018. So once that ends, there will be no more [F1]," Aziz told local media.

"F1 attendance is dropping and there is less attraction now. We are spending RM 300 million a year [$97 million].

"The cost of hosting F1 has increased 10-fold compared to the first time it was held."

The news comes after Bernie Ecclestone said Singapore also wanted to give up its Formula 1 race.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ma...nister-852486/
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Liscia ! We can add Ross Brawn to the list of geniuses wrecking F1. He already said Merc and Red Bull are the only teams worth watching to win in 2017!