Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Abu Dhabi GP Race thread

Well look at that. We totally nailed it strategy-wise for a change. That was nice. Hope we continue to have smart strategies in the future and create a nice reputation in that department.
    As for Nico, i think he totally deserved it. Why not? Some would say that Lewis was very unfortunate with that engine blowing up in Malaysia. Well, Nico had a lot of mishaps in 2014 as well. And i'm glad Lewis didn't won. 2 years in a row was enough. Better luck some other year Lewis.

im gald to finnaly see some emotions from this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajcHGHHQ_h0

good job nico, i wasnt ever his fan nor lewis but its always good to see someone celebrate their success and accomplishments, as he said you cant imagine how it must have felt but he did good comeing out alive

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Don't necessarily disagree with what Lewis did, but if Nico had done that he would have gotten a battering from the UK media for not being a 'racer'.
    Also Lewis' behaviour on track paled in comparison to the utter lack of class and humility he showed in the C4 interview afterwards. Can't stand him, he's immensely talented, but I'd sooner boil my own head than ever see him driving for Ferrari.
    Thought HAM was pretty lacking in class in the interview with McKenzie(?), especially his answer to the question about 'the better man won'.. He could have been rather more gracious!

I note also that the BBC's Andrew Benson (hates Ferrari, worships HAM) is leading the 'Hamilton's a far better driver' brigade! Despise the man.

Good job from the team yesterday. Good to see VET doing the business.

Roll on 2017 - it can surely only get better! #FORZAFERRARI
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Well look at that. We totally nailed it strategy-wise for a change. That was nice. Hope we continue to have smart strategies in the future and create a nice reputation in that department.
    As for Nico, i think he totally deserved it. Why not? Some would say that Lewis was very unfortunate with that engine blowing up in Malaysia. Well, Nico had a lot of mishaps in 2014 as well. And i'm glad Lewis didn't won. 2 years in a row was enough. Better luck some other year Lewis.
    I think Ferrari borked the strategy with Kimi, was going to do the same thing with Vettel but Seb suggested just trying to stay out. While it ended up working out, I honestly can't say Ferrari nailed it on the strategy. Glad to see them trying other options.

Well done Seb. Congratulations Nico well deserved, can't stand you Hamilton so sick of hearing those pommy commentators kissing your backside so much.

Maurizio Arrivabene: “This podium finish is a boost to the motivation of the whole team, for the people back home, who have been working so hard since this summer, and for the ones at the track, who never gave up. It’s clear that we did not reach the targets we had set for ourselves, yet this last race shows that something is moving in the right direction.”

Kimi Raikkonen: “It was not an easy race for me, the car was pretty ok, but I suffered with the tires, to make them last. I was constantly trying to keep the fronts alive. After the start I was in a good position, but I struggled with the first set of Softs: at the end of the stint they kind of came back and improved, but we kept losing places. When Seb came close to me, I knew that he was on a different strategy and I let him go. Obviously it has been quite a tricky year, far from what we want as a team, but lately we have been working well, doing the right things. Now we need to keep working this way and hopefully next year, with the new car, we’ll be where we want to be.”

Sebastian Vettel: “I think it was an important race for us today: in the final laps, I would have liked to gain two more positions, because the speed was there; but it was difficult to make the move because the car in front also benefited from a tow. Nevertheless as a team we deserve this podium, and I hope it gives some momentum to all of us. It has been a tough year, with lots of up and downs, so I am really happy with this result. About our global performance in 2016, I think we don’t need to find any story or invent something. I think we expected more; but after the first half, where we could have scored more points, I think we showed real strength by coming back. In the last couple of Grand Prix we had very good race pace, always enough to match Red Bull, and probably even a bit quicker: but that was not the case on Saturdays, and that made Sundays more difficult. Overall we showed the stamina that the team has. The spirit is unbroken, and I know that we will work hard, because Ferrari deserves to come back. All in all we learned a lot, we made a lot of progress. Today is Nico’s day, well done to him. I think you don’t win the Championship by luck, and it is a sign of respect to give him this. He is a deserving champion.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

It was nice to see Seb bump Mad Max off the podium, but it's only P3, let's no get carried away

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    Thought HAM was pretty lacking in class in the interview with McKenzie(?), especially his answer to the question about 'the better man won'.. He could have been rather more gracious!

I note also that the BBC's Andrew Benson (hates Ferrari, worships HAM) is leading the 'Hamilton's a far better driver' brigade! Despise the man.

Good job from the team yesterday. Good to see VET doing the business.

Roll on 2017 - it can surely only get better! #FORZAFERRARI
    Have you seen his article on BBC F1 site? oh my word.

Last edited by Rob; 28th November 2016 at 08:00.

Disappointing that Vettel couldn't get Rosberg, but let's face it - if Hamilton had been leading the championship, he would have been 20-30 seconds down the road and Nico somewhere in that gap out of reach. It's a damning indictment of our performance that we can't even take advantage of a chance such as this. Otherwise, also disappointed with the strategy employed for Kimi - it simply didn't work and we may have been better off not running the softs at all.

As for being champion, Rosberg should be very grateful for the reliability and performance of his Mercedes and the fact that others started focusing on next year much earlier than usual. On so many occasions something went wrong yet he finished the race and could still confidently expect to be on the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Have you seen his article on BBC F1 site? oh my word.
    Yup. Dreadful. I understand 'national' bias but that's just terrible 'journalism'.

On the bright side, if Ferrari get it right next season, Benson will be apoplectic!

Don't understand how BBC could allow such an article.
    That is the kind of rant you'd expect to find in online fan forum, not in proper journalism work.

Can't say I'm surprised coming from Benson, he can be very irrational and biased (just look at all his past writings about Ferrari). But I'd expect a large, international news portal like BBC to hold themself up to higher standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    That is the kind of rant you'd expect to find in online fan forum, not in proper journalism work.

Can't say I'm surprised coming from Benson, he can be very irrational and biased (just look at all his past writings about Ferrari). But I'd expect a large, international news portal like BBC to hold themself up to higher standards.
    I'm not too worried about Benson as it's only sport at the end of the day. It's the political propaganda that the mainstream media engage in (in the UK and elsewhere) that is far more worrisome in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post

BBC journalism - the quintessential oxymoron

Quote Originally Posted by Nand0Nand0 View Post
    BBC journalism - the quintessential oxymoron
    Spot on. The BBC in its current form - and funding! - is well past its 'sell-by date', but I shall avoid getting into politics as it's frowned upon here. #Agenda

Don't necessarily disagree with what Lewis did, but if Nico had done that he would have gotten a battering from the UK media for not being a 'racer'.
    Also Lewis' behaviour on track paled in comparison to the utter lack of class and humility he showed in the C4 interview afterwards. Can't stand him, he's immensely talented, but I'd sooner boil my own head than ever see him driving for Ferrari.

Pretty much this!
    Congrats to Nico!!
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

I agree with you on all points. Lewis was doing what he could to get the championship. If he was going too slow for Nico, let Nico pass him. That being said, his strategy did not succeed and he showed a total lack of class in the post race. If there is a God, Lewis Hamilton will never win another championship.

he can't help it if he's a sore Lewser

Hamilton named driver of the year by team bosses. Rosberg 3rd. Vettel 5th & Raikkonen 7th

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...16-best-driver

Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    Disappointing that Vettel couldn't get Rosberg, but let's face it - if Hamilton had been leading the championship, he would have been 20-30 seconds down the road and Nico somewhere in that gap out of reach. It's a damning indictment of our performance that we can't even take advantage of a chance such as this. Otherwise, also disappointed with the strategy employed for Kimi - it simply didn't work and we may have been better off not running the softs at all.

As for being champion, Rosberg should be very grateful for the reliability and performance of his Mercedes and the fact that others started focusing on next year much earlier than usual. On so many occasions something went wrong yet he finished the race and could still confidently expect to be on the podium.
    I dont think it was as straight forward as that. SV could have taken Rosberg, but he deliberately didnt. IMHO.
    There could be two reasons. One is LH is a p***k and SV enjoyed not letting the brat get what he wants, for once.

Secondly, SV is as politically astute as LH is and F1 drivers are seriously competitive individuals. Very likely, SV didnt want LH to equal his feat of 4 time champion. And the way Merc are and the way we are going, LH has a better chance of becoming a 5 time champ before SV does.

As for being champions, both LH and NR should be grateful to Merc. For the last three years they have had only one car to beat, really speaking.
    Silently, like a shadow

A little late to the party here, but I'll give my opinions anyway ...

Good strategy by Ferrari, Seb had a really good race. Especially loved the pass on Verstappen, had me up off the sofa shouting & pumping my fists! Happy he could take some pressure off Nico just by being a sane driver behind him. Relieved that he finished ahead of Max in the final standings as well, that probably would've bothered me all winter.

Congrats to Nico, a worthy champion in my book, withstood a lot of pressure from Lewis down the stretch, but did what was needed to secure the WDC.

Lewis, well Lewis was just being himself. I have no issue with his race craft, they are racing after all. It's just when he opens his mouth to speak that's when he bothers me.

Kimi had a decent race too, I think the speed we showed bodes well for 2017. At the very least it gives me some positive feeling about our car to carry me through the off season!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

ROSBERG ANNOUNCED HE WILL QUIT FORMULA 1 IMMEDIATE

Quote Originally Posted by abbottcostello View Post
    A little late to the party here, but I'll give my opinions anyway ...

Good strategy by Ferrari, Seb had a really good race. Especially loved the pass on Verstappen, had me up off the sofa shouting & pumping my fists! Happy he could take some pressure off Nico just by being a sane driver behind him. Relieved that he finished ahead of Max in the final standings as well, that probably would've bothered me all winter.

Congrats to Nico, a worthy champion in my book, withstood a lot of pressure from Lewis down the stretch, but did what was needed to secure the WDC.

Lewis, well Lewis was just being himself. I have no issue with his race craft, they are racing after all. It's just when he opens his mouth to speak that's when he bothers me.

Kimi had a decent race too, I think the speed we showed bodes well for 2017. At the very least it gives me some positive feeling about our car to carry me through the off season!