Thread: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Kimi is trying to copy Seb's driving and it cost him. Lack of patience on Seb's part , a bad example. Kimi has to stay cool even with the bomb he has to drive.
    I think next yr too we challenge mercs given our development direction going on. But what I want to see is consistency from kimi, which puts pressure on both drivers bottas n ham. Straight away.
    Then they will do mistakes. Odd wins taken away by bottas from seb proves the importance of 2nd driver.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I think next yr too we challenge mercs given our development direction going on. But what I want to see is consistency from kimi, which puts pressure on both drivers bottas n ham. Straight away.
    Then they will do mistakes. Odd wins taken away by bottas from seb proves the importance of 2nd driver.
    I don't know what to think about next year, but judging by the second half of the season I don't think we will be stronger

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    I don't know what to think about next year, but judging by the second half of the season I don't think we will be stronger
    Ferrari knew it's strengths & weakness.
    They have gr8 chassis, it's engine performance that's lacking. So surely they will concentrate on it next year.

I feel Ferrari & RB have gr8 chance.

But my worry is mad max next year. If RB is strong next year. This guy will take off everyone (ham,vet,Ric) next year.

So Ferrari should & must produce super engine.

2nd half shows we can develop well right to the end, only reliability slipped a bit. But I guess it's normal for you to be negative....
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    2nd half shows we can develop well right to the end, only reliability slipped a bit. But I guess it's normal for you to be negative....

its not the case if we can develop, even Sauber can develop, the point is to develop better than Merc and thats not the case. But I guess it's normal for you to be happy with 2nd.

its not the case if we can develop, even Sauber can develop, the point is to develop better than Merc and thats not the case. But I guess it's normal for you to be happy with 2nd.
    Without the small reliability issues I reckon Seb would be leading WDC, so again tell me how we can't develop compared to Merc?
    Forza Ferrari

Without the small reliability issues I reckon Seb would be leading WDC, so again tell me how we can't develop compared to Merc?
    "Small" reliability issues? They were not small at all. Everyone was (has been) laughing at us for those amateurish "small issues". Development includes reliability as well, in my opinion. If you are to test something new then it's successful functioning is only half of the job. It has to be reliable in order to fulfill it's purpose. Positivism is a good thing, but sometimes objectivity should be the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFerrari View Post
    "Small" reliability issues? They were not small at all. Everyone was (has been) laughing at us for those amateurish "small issues". Development includes reliability as well, in my opinion. If you are to test something new then it's successful functioning is only half of the job. It has to be reliable in order to fulfill it's purpose. Positivism is a good thing, but sometimes objectivity should be the winner.
    Yes they were small, a spark plug and a turbo pipe from an external supplier....we pushed the limits and just came up short, much better than playing it safe...
    Forza Ferrari

Yes, pretty much. It’s hard to turn around fundamentals of a slower car but much easier to fix reliability issues of an out of the box fast car.

Yes they were small, a spark plug and a turbo pipe from an external supplier....we pushed the limits and just came up short, much better than playing it safe...
    Ma man.......if you think that having a slower engine is a small issue than you are more delusional than I thought.

Ma man.......if you think that having a slower engine is a small issue than you are more delusional than I thought.
    It ain't all about the engine....why do you even bother post?
    Forza Ferrari

It ain't all about the engine....why do you even bother post?
    I believe it's mainly the engine... Whats your point, we are bad in all areas?

Imagine RB with our engine, or worse. With a Merc. RB still shows that there is a LOT of time for both us and Merc to find in the chassie and aero.

I believe it's mainly the engine... Whats your point, we are bad in all areas?
    Point is we have challenged Merc and taken a massive step forward but still you cry and whine.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Settantasette View Post
    Imagine RB with our engine, or worse. With a Merc. RB still shows that there is a LOT of time for both us and Merc to find in the chassie and aero.
    they would have WIPED the floor with US and Mercedes if they had our engine or the Mercedes engine this year.....that is HOW GOOD their aero is this second half of the season

at least that is my opinion too....

if Renault ups their game for next year and are close or thereabouts on power with us and Mercs.....well it's gonna be a tough year NOT just for us but for Mercs also

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    they would have WIPED the floor with US and Mercedes if they had our engine or the Mercedes engine this year.....that is HOW GOOD their aero is this second half of the season

at least that is my opinion too....

if Renault ups their game for next year and are close or thereabouts on power with us and Mercs.....well it's gonna be a tough year NOT just for us but for Mercs also
    They have 400 million to spend on chassis, I would love to see them try to build their engine

They have 400 million to spend on chassis, I would love to see them try to build their engine
    McLaren is investing the same on their chassis as well. Really hope that Renault PU will flop next year, otherwise it will be pretty chaotic at the front.

I agree with the posts in here stating the RedBull made a massive leap with their chassis. If you look at the beginning of the year they were between 1-1.5s behind and I doubt that the Renault engine gained 1s over the year.
    It's clear a lot of it came from aero & chassis and this shows that there is still a lot of time to be gained from the chassis & aero. Actually I think aero wise RedBull has the best car right now, they probably have around 0.5s deficit from engine alone and they are not that far away in the race so their chassis is superior this is the only logical conclusion.

The only redeming factor is that I doubt Renault will match Mercedes or Ferrari next year so we should still enjoy a healthy engine advantage next year, also this shows there is a lot more potential to be had from using a shorter wheelbase/high rake concept and this will probably be the focus next year also with Mercedes and since they have 0 experience designing such a car they may struggle at first which might be a big boost for us next year.

Of course this is pure speculation and Mercedes (a team with amazing talent and unlimited resources) might manage to dial their car from the get go and than it's gonna be about who get's it better, but I think RedBull will be a big threat next year and they might definitely be championship contenders so we need to raise our game big time both on the chassis but also on the PU side.

The priority should be the PU tough since I don't think we lag behind too much on the chassis (probably around ~ 0.2/0.3 tenths at best behind RedBull) while there is still quite a gap compared to the Mercedes PU (wild guess here but let's say where are probably behind by around 20 Hp from most sources). I think we need a big step over the winter to ensure we have equal tools to fight the Mercs next year - probably we need to gain somewhere in the vicinity of 40-50Hp (to account for whatever Mercedes improves over the winter as well) in order to have a realistic chance of engine parity next year.

Another interesting question is if Mercedes did indeed adhere to the new 0.9L oil burn limit with their latest spec engine or if they still use 1.2. If the latter is true then the gap is probably slightly inflated at the moment (since they will have to drop to 0.9 next year like everyone else) and this is probably the best case scenario for us but I'm not sure this is really the case.
    Last edited by ClaudiuCojo; 24th October 2017 at 16:16.

McLaren is the best aero car
    Forza Ferrari

It's really not but Alonso is their saving grace with those 6 tenths that he's always managing to bring to any team no matter how bad the car is :P

I have never dared under-estimate Mclaren as they were traditionally (80s/90s-2000s) our chief rivals. If the Renault engine comes alive, they will be another serious contender next year, I didn't like them or Ron, long before Red Bull and Merc came along to haunt us.

It's not. But i can see them being fourth in the WCC if they had a Renault PU.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    McLaren is investing the same on their chassis as well. Really hope that Renault PU will flop next year, otherwise it will be pretty chaotic at the front.
    We will see what kind of money they will have now that Honda is gone

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuCojo View Post
    I agree with the posts in here stating the RedBull made a massive leap with their chassis. If you look at the beginning of the year they were between 1-1.5s behind and I doubt that the Renault engine gained 1s over the year.
    It's clear a lot of it came from aero & chassis and this shows that there is still a lot of time to be gained from the chassis & aero. Actually I think aero wise RedBull has the best car right now, they probably have around 0.5s deficit from engine alone and they are not that far away in the race so their chassis is superior this is the only logical conclusion.

The only redeming factor is that I doubt Renault will match Mercedes or Ferrari next year so we should still enjoy a healthy engine advantage next year, also this shows there is a lot more potential to be had from using a shorter wheelbase/high rake concept and this will probably be the focus next year also with Mercedes and since they have 0 experience designing such a car they may struggle at first which might be a big boost for us next year.

Of course this is pure speculation and Mercedes (a team with amazing talent and unlimited resources) might manage to dial their car from the get go and than it's gonna be about who get's it better, but I think RedBull will be a big threat next year and they might definitely be championship contenders so we need to raise our game big time both on the chassis but also on the PU side.

The priority should be the PU tough since I don't think we lag behind too much on the chassis (probably around ~ 0.2/0.3 tenths at best behind RedBull) while there is still quite a gap compared to the Mercedes PU (wild guess here but let's say where are probably behind by around 20 Hp from most sources). I think we need a big step over the winter to ensure we have equal tools to fight the Mercs next year - probably we need to gain somewhere in the vicinity of 40-50Hp (to account for whatever Mercedes improves over the winter as well) in order to have a realistic chance of engine parity next year.

Another interesting question is if Mercedes did indeed adhere to the new 0.9L oil burn limit with their latest spec engine or if they still use 1.2. If the latter is true then the gap is probably slightly inflated at the moment (since they will have to drop to 0.9 next year like everyone else) and this is probably the best case scenario for us but I'm not sure this is really the case.
    Next year is 0.6L oil limit.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuCojo View Post
    RB made gains by copying Ferrari's concepts; concepts that the "aero god" Newey couldn't understand at the start of the season. Mark my words, the RB2018 will look a lot like the SF70H. Ferrari has taken a huge step forward this year and I expect that to continue into next years car.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by nemanja View Post
    Next year is 0.6L oil limit.
    so, i'm sure FIA being formula Mercedes will turn ON the blind eye and let mercedes race NEXT year with engines that use 1.2L per race....$%%@#$& FIA

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    RB made gains by copying Ferrari's concepts; concepts that the "aero god" Newey couldn't understand at the start of the season. Mark my words, the RB2018 will look a lot like the SF70H. Ferrari has taken a huge step forward this year and I expect that to continue into next years car.
    RB18 will look a lot like Ferrari 2017..........i'm sure the 2018 Ferrari will be that much more refined and ahead of the 2017 still....
    we have GREAT talent inhouse to build a great car again......WHO NEEDS adrian Newey????

We will see what kind of money they will have now that Honda is gone
    You never know what Mansour Ojjeh is capable of. He might secure a huge budget for the F1 team even without someone like Honda.

I think people underrate Renault engine, especially in the race. I think there is not a big difference in race with ours and their engine, only Merc looks overpowered.