Thread: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    What does he say Ferrari is trying with their concept? I assume he's talking about all the barge boards and flow conditioners?
    SIDEPOD/UNDERFLOOR LEADING EDGE

"This is the area Ferrari seems to have got most excited about. The 2017 regulations allow a lot more scope for clever details. Again, being clever is one thing, but that must translate into decreased lap time.

With the leading edge of the sidepod as far rearward as possible, Ferrari has been able to fit a large bargeboard, which can be seen from the front-on views. At the bottom of it is a delta-wing section going from the front of the bargeboard all the way to the outer corner of the sidepod vertical turning vane. Behind that is also a smaller, horizontal delta-shaped turning vane.

These components are to optimise and realign the airflow going into the underfloor and, in Ferrari's case, the hugely undercut sidepod leading edge.

The undercut connects to the Coke bottle area and, in turn, the low-pressure area at the back of the car. If it all works together and you can get the low-pressure area behind the car to pull airflow through the Coke bottle via the undercut sidepods - around the bargeboards and from underneath the raised front of the chassis - it means the front wing will work better.

The bargeboards and this delta-wing will work better and the undercut in the sidepods will produce downforce. So, it's a plus-plus-plus on downforce. In the end, there's also a drag reduction effect achieved by filling up that void behind the car that it is usually pulling along."

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    I was wondering how much can we play with the engine evolution before the first race? Can we bring the updated engine for Melbourne?
    They could make a new engine every day from now until March 23 & take whichever one they pleased to race at Melbourne. No more token system equals open season on development. They get 4 pu's for this season, that could mean 4 different spec engines. Could even be more if they felt the grid penalties were worth the performance gained by a new design.
    Hypothetically, of course!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by Luckynumber7 View Post
    SIDEPOD/UNDERFLOOR LEADING EDGE

"This is the area Ferrari seems to have got most excited about. The 2017 regulations allow a lot more scope for clever details. Again, being clever is one thing, but that must translate into decreased lap time.

With the leading edge of the sidepod as far rearward as possible, Ferrari has been able to fit a large bargeboard, which can be seen from the front-on views. At the bottom of it is a delta-wing section going from the front of the bargeboard all the way to the outer corner of the sidepod vertical turning vane. Behind that is also a smaller, horizontal delta-shaped turning vane.

These components are to optimise and realign the airflow going into the underfloor and, in Ferrari's case, the hugely undercut sidepod leading edge.

The undercut connects to the Coke bottle area and, in turn, the low-pressure area at the back of the car. If it all works together and you can get the low-pressure area behind the car to pull airflow through the Coke bottle via the undercut sidepods - around the bargeboards and from underneath the raised front of the chassis - it means the front wing will work better.

The bargeboards and this delta-wing will work better and the undercut in the sidepods will produce downforce. So, it's a plus-plus-plus on downforce. In the end, there's also a drag reduction effect achieved by filling up that void behind the car that it is usually pulling along."
    Very encouraging! Very exciting that we've come with an entire concept from the beginning of the car to the rear. It's designed in cohesion and to be unified, with each part interacting (positively, hopefully) with every other part. Let's hope it pays dividends!

Ferrari F2004 0'55.999 Germany Michael Schumacher 2004
    Ferrari F2003-GA 0'56.33 Germany Michael Schumacher 2003
    Ferrari 248 F1 0'57.099 Brazil Felipe Massa 2006
    Ferrari F2005 0'57.146 Germany Michael Schumacher 2005
    Ferrari SF70H 0'57.15 Finland Kimi Räikkönen 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiorano_Circuit
    (Found it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1746...2598666854326/)
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Note: track was wet and it was cold for the SF70-H so it was hard to get tyres up to temp, nonetheless they will have to re-do another lap time when conditions prove adequate. When track conditions prove ideal, I see the SF70-H beating the F2004's(what a beast!!!) current lap time record @ Fiorano.

Just some info and no need to translate into anything-
    Mercs so far is more advanced aerowise ( so as the pundits say)
    Only hope for competition will come from RBR ( and they may be dominant this season)
    ... so as the folklore says...

Don't kIll the messenger.
    (Although I do agree that RBR will be beating Merc this season)!

I just want to see a good development curve for Ferrari! New regulation.. wont be a problem to upgrade.... But if they don't Boy oh boy we are in for rough 3-4 seasons of pain!

F1 show biz 2016 :
    Toto - "Ferrari are a real threat" .... Nico - "Awesome, everything is just awesome" .....Lulu - "Mental strength man, lifestyle man, I'll drive at 400% as ever man".... and then suddenly a wild Bull out of nowhere slams into a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by PadGeT View Post
    Just some info and no need to translate into anything-
    Mercs so far is more advanced aerowise ( so as the pundits say)
    Only hope for competition will come from RBR ( and they may be dominant this season)
    ... so as the folklore says...

Don't kIll the messenger.
    (Although I do agree that RBR will be beating Merc this season)!

I just want to see a good development curve for Ferrari! New regulation.. wont be a problem to upgrade.... But if they don't Boy oh boy we are in for rough 3-4 seasons of pain!
    Not just in the aero dept, but also the engine dept as in hp upgrade and longevity/duration to "tap" into that hp upgrade on the track.

Ferrari said on Facebook "keep your eyes open. There's so much more to come." What could this mean?!

Quote Originally Posted by JPBD View Post
    Ferrari said on Facebook "keep your eyes open. There's so much more to come." What could this mean?!
    CAN'T WAIT!!!!.....only time will tell. Next week its Barcelona for testing and its off to OZ after that.

I too keep on reading that Merc is SO much advanced aero wise and very innovative compare to Ferrari.Can someone explain to me were thet draw these conclusions???
    I mean, ok the Merc looks ti have done a lot of work (as last year) but where us the innovative parts especially compare to us??!!!!What we have done with the space around the sidepods,to me is more innovative to them.Im saying its better,but i dont see thar they have done something so much innovative compar to us!!!!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    I too keep on reading that Merc is SO much advanced aero wise and very innovative compare to Ferrari.Can someone explain to me were thet draw these conclusions???
    I mean, ok the Merc looks ti have done a lot of work (as last year) but where us the innovative parts especially compare to us??!!!!What we have done with the space around the sidepods,to me is more innovative to them.Im saying its better,but i dont see thar they have done something so much innovative compar to us!!!!!!!!
    All I have read PURE PASSION is that out of all the teams currently on the F1 grid, MB have spent ALOT of hours in the wind tunnel ALONG with CFD analysis(which everyone uses this) via a supercomputer.

I guess we will find out in the next 3 to 4 GP's WHO was best at "innovation" from an aero and engine perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    All I have read PURE PASSION is that out of all the teams currently on the F1 grid, MB have spent ALOT of hours in the wind tunnel ALONG with CFD analysis(which everyone uses this) via a supercomputer.

I guess we will find out in the next 3 to 4 GP's WHO was best at "innovation" from an aero and engine persective.
    Why we haven't???!!!
    Im just saying that when i see both cars,i dont see that Merc is more advanced then ours.im not saying its not better (they might be 1+secs ahead AGAIN)
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Why we haven't???!!!
    Im just saying that when i see both cars,i dont see that Merc is more advanced then ours.im not saying its not better (they might be 1+secs ahead AGAIN)
    your correct.......all the teams have spent hours in the wind tunnel but MB has spent more...alot more. I guess we will see when both cars are on the track come race day, who is more " advanced." Its not just in aero, but what also counts, and this is a big factor too, is the engine as in hp. That has always been MB BIGGER ADVANTAGE when you put both aero and engine in innovation.

What happened to the Mercedes-like nose that was rumoured? Underwhelmed!

Wind tunnel and CFD time is limited by regulations so they cant spend more time in wind tunnel then other teams.

your correct.......all the teams have spent hours in the wind tunnel but MB has spent more...alot more. I guess we will see when both cars are on the track come race day, who is more " advanced." Its not just in aero, but what also counts, and this is a big factor too, is the engine as in hp. That has always been MB BIGGER ADVANTAGE when you put both aero and engine in innovation.
    Ok and how can anyone say that Merc spent more time in the wind tunnel when:

https://www.formula1.com/en/champion...s/Testing.html

Wind tunnel testing is heavily restricted, both in terms of what kind of testing may be done and how long it may be done for. Scale models used may be no larger than 60 percent and speeds are limited to 50 metres per second.

Similar restrictions also apply to CFD simulation work.
    TBH such claims are just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post

This is also the first major regulation change to occur under the Aerodynamic Testing Regulations (ATR), which limit every team to the same maximum amount of wind tunnel testing – 65 runs per week. Given the extent of the regulation changes, the first W08 concept ran in the team’s 60% Brackley wind tunnel before the first race of last season and has completed over 2,000 runs during its development so far

From someone in f1technical forum

If I were one of Ferrari's opponents, I would ask myself a very worrying question: For what do Ferrari need these large amounts of air? :shock: The intakes might appear narrow, but they are quite large. Also, they need secondary air intakes on top of the sidepods and the airbox might not be as huge as Mercedes' last year, but is not tiny either...

So what is happening with all the air?
    Again took it from here:https://m.facebook.com/groups/174611...33130886801104
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Here is a tech analysis from Motorsport on the SF70-H:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...-sf70h-877030/

section in AIRFLOW CONDITIONERS/SIDEPODS....hopefully this answers your questions as it has mine among many other ?'s about this beautiful looking car.

It makes nice farts when off throttle :p
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Here is a tech analysis from Motorsport on the SF70-H:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...-sf70h-877030/

section in AIRFLOW CONDITIONERS/SIDEPODS....hopefully this answers your questions as it has mine among many other ?'s about this beautiful looking car.
    This article, and basically everything else I've read, suggests the Ferrari isn't as "radical" as the Mercedes. I may be blinded by bias - but I don't see it? The Ferrari looks far more radical. That's not the say it's better than the Mercedes. I'm sure they will win everything as usual (sigh), I'm just trying to understand what is "radical" about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post

Merc spent the same amount of total time in the windtunnel as other teams, but the W08 has spent more than other new cars. Merc didn't need to use wind tunnel time to improve the W07 so could invest that time for the W08. Ferrari were still working on last years car deep into the season.

This article, and basically everything else I've read, suggests the Ferrari isn't as "radical" as the Mercedes. I may be blinded by bias - but I don't see it? The Ferrari looks far more radical. That's not the say it's better than the Mercedes. I'm sure they will win everything as usual (sigh), I'm just trying to understand what is "radical" about it?
    I agree. It looks like Ferrari are thinking outside the box. The Mercedes is a good design but uses proven elements. Haven't seen anything like what Ferrari has done on any other car. It is very different. Hope it works.

Merc spent the same amount of total time in the windtunnel as other teams, but the W08 has spent more than other new cars. Merc didn't need to use wind tunnel time to improve the W07 so could invest that time for the W08. Ferrari were still working on last years car deep into the season.
    yup....when your beating the opposition by over 300pts(2014-2015) in the WCC and you've got the title with 3 to 4 GP's left in the year....the DESIGN of the W08 was ahead of everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    Wind tunnel and CFD time is limited by regulations so they cant spend more time in wind tunnel then other teams.
    True, that.
    Looking at the cars launched so far, both ours and the Merc seem to be the most refined. After those two, the Renault and the Force India seemed pretty good to me, with Sauber, McLaren and Williams far behind
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

I think alot of Scuderia fans on this forum do/would consider Ferrari's design aspect of certain features in the SF70-H radical/innovative from an emotional perspective. While true, some of the design aspects of the car are radical/innovative, whether or not that "radicalization" or "innovation" will hold up to MB and/or RedBull from a performance aspect has yet to be seen. Given the past 3 years with this new formula, innovation and radicalization is not one of our strongpoints. Only time will tell next week at Barcelona during the tests and then about 3 to 4 GP's into the season. But some of us here will ultimately make up our minds within the first race at Melbourne. Some of us have already. Another note to mention is the engine dept for that is just as important, if not the most important, factor of the current 2017 F1 car; 3yrs of the same engine going into year 4. We all saw, at least I did, LH come from way back in the pack to come within a podium finish.....twice. It was demoralizing to me due to the fact that we had alot of work to do. That said, the Scuderia have built a wonderful car from the onset, but along with the innovation/radicalization of possibly building a WINNING car, that radicalization/innovation can go the other way....of building a losing car. If its the latter, then we keep on trying.....and trying. Time will tell.

Absolutely NOT true:

http://en.f1i.com/news/77390-ferrari...2016-woes.html

If you don't want to read the whole article, I'll leave this quote here:
    "The Ferrari team principal also backs the Maranello-based outfit’s decision to grant more attention to its 2017 challenger over its current-spec SF16-H."

I think alot of Scuderia fans on this forum do/would consider Ferrari's design aspect of certain features in the SF70-H radical/innovative from an emotional perspective. While true, some of the design aspects of the car are radical/innovative, whether or not that "radicalization" or "innovation" will hold up to MB and/or RedBull from a performance aspect has yet to be seen. Given the past 3 years with this new formula, innovation and radicalization is not one of our strongpoints. Only time will tell next week at Barcelona during the tests and then about 3 to 4 GP's into the season. But some of us here will ultimately make up our minds within the first race at Melbourne. Some of us have already. Another note to mention is the engine dept for that is just as important, if not the most important, factor of the current 2017 F1 car; 3yrs of the same engine going into year 4. We all saw, at least I did, LH come from way back in the pack to come within a podium finish.....twice. It was demoralizing to me due to the fact that we had alot of work to do. That said, the Scuderia have built a wonderful car from the onset, but along with the innovation/radicalization of possibly building a WINNING car, that radicalization/innovation can go the other way....of building a losing car. If its the latter, then we keep on trying.....and trying. Time will tell in a month.
    You don't have to be a Ferrari fan to understand how innovative the SF-70H is. I'm not saying it will win every GP, far from it, but you can't deny that fact

I think alot of Scuderia fans on this forum do/would consider Ferrari's design aspect of certain features in the SF70-H radical/innovative from an emotional perspective. While true, some of the design aspects of the car are radical/innovative, whether or not that "radicalization" or "innovation" will hold up to MB and/or RedBull from a performance aspect has yet to be seen. Given the past 3 years with this new formula, innovation and radicalization is not one of our strongpoints. Only time will tell next week at Barcelona during the tests and then about 3 to 4 GP's into the season. But some of us here will ultimately make up our minds within the first race at Melbourne. Some of us have already. Another note to mention is the engine dept for that is just as important, if not the most important, factor of the current 2017 F1 car; 3yrs of the same engine going into year 4. We all saw, at least I did, LH come from way back in the pack to come within a podium finish.....twice. It was demoralizing to me due to the fact that we had alot of work to do. That said, the Scuderia have built a wonderful car from the onset, but along with the innovation/radicalization of possibly building a WINNING car, that radicalization/innovation can go the other way....of building a losing car. If its the latter, then we keep on trying.....and trying. Time will tell.
    Merc nose is also similar to last year and nothing special.the back end also nothing really innovative. In the part around sidepods they have done fantastic job.
    Whata the difference from what we have done.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!