Page 42 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849505152535455566792 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 3405

Thread: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

And I quote the late Jack Brabham:

" When the checkered flag drops, the bull stops"...............

Hopefully we are up there from race 1 but I remain very cautious but so far so good and the drivers and teams seem to be happy with new car. I would be amazed if we are ahead of Merc but hopefully this season at least shows us some sort of improvement from last which would not be that hard
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Hopefully we are up there from race 1 but I remain very cautious but so far so good and the drivers and teams seem to be happy with new car. I would be amazed if we are ahead of Merc but hopefully this season at least shows us some sort of improvement from last which would not be that hard
    Yeah, I'm taking the same cautious approach. Can't be hard showing an improvement over last year lol but the drivers seems to say the car is very stable on all tyres so that's a start lol!
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    I hope this car is quick right from the very first race...dominatingly (is that a word?) fast. I also hope that the sidepod loophole Ferrari exploited was an idea from it's own engineers/designers rather than an Allison idea. If it is our very own design then development should be good and it's kinda nice to know we have original thinkers in the organization.
    Agreed. Though all I ask for now is consistently good performance and reliability from the car, drivers, and our internal teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Source: ESPN.IN)
    From the moment the first pictures emerged of the new Ferrari it was clear that Maranello had done something different. The structure of the sidepods are unlike any other car, with a vane at the front to meet the angles and dimensions set out in the regulations and the actual sidepod openings set further back and at 90 degrees to the rest of the chassis. The SF70H's development started under the technical directorship of James Allison and its fundamental design principles would have been ideas that germinated under his watch. The finer details -- as well as the car's ongoing development -- have been continued under current technical director Mattia Binotto, and the transition between the two does not appear to have had the negative effect some had feared.

Perhaps learning from the lessons of last year, Ferrari attempted to keep pre-season testing a low-key affair. The drivers were only permitted to speak to the press once a week, senior management kept their opinions within the engineering office and the car was launched without so much as a press release. But when the fuel loads came down and the softest tyres were bolted on, there was no masking the SF70H's impressive pace. Despite missing the apexes at Turns 5 and 10, Raikkonen set a lap time 0.676s clear of Mercedes on the final day with a headline-grabbing 1:18.634. The overriding impression was that the Ferrari was not only quick, but that there is significantly more to come.

From trackside the SF70H looks impressive in both low and high-speed corners and over the course of the two weeks it also demonstrated impressive reliability. Ferrari's lap count in testing was only second to Mercedes', with just a few minor hiccups occasionally keeping the car in the garage (one of which was Raikkonen spinning at Turn 3 on the second day of the second test). Yet for all the positives, there is still a reluctance among those in the paddock to get excited about Ferrari's pre-season performance. The promise of testing a year ago and the struggle that followed still weighs heavy on F1's collective consciousness, and as a result Ferrari's revival will only be truly convincing once the Italian national anthem rings out from the podium.

So reports confirm that Allison had his input on SF70H car...how much? only Allison and Ferrari know it, if his influence was more on our car then he may take counter measure through Mercedes car updates(may be in second half season). Hope Ferrari engineers changed majority of design structures after he departed from us. so it will be interesting to watch who had more influence on our car(Mattia Binotto or James Allison). If SF70H win races then who will take the credit of its success(it will be similar like 2015 season where Ex Designer tombazis and Luca di Montezemolo announced their influence on SF15-T when it won in Malaysia).

I believe james certainly had influence but not to a great extent. Its a tendency of the english press to downplay italian engineers and now since our car is looking competitive, they are trying to say its only because of James. I dont think we need any big names, just get Aldo back!
    Last edited by garychopper; 14th March 2017 at 07:05.

I probably missed something, but isn't it normal when an engineer goes from one team to another to take a "gardening leave"? Why is Allison able to work on MB straight away?

Quote Originally Posted by CurdaNeta View Post
    I probably missed something, but isn't it normal when an engineer goes from one team to another to take a "gardening leave"? Why is Allison able to work on MB straight away?
    Our car was so fast in 2016 that I am sure Allison will give valuable information to Mercedes, of all people.

Forza Schumi, keep fighting Champ, 1994-2004-2014

If Ferrari's sidepod design proves to be successful, I don't think anyone can copy the design. Because I think this design is related to the rumored cooling system running through the floor of the car which allows Ferrari to use smaller cooling radiators hence this radical sidepod design.

Wasn't he off for 6 months?

He had gardening leave from June/July 2016 to February 2017 and I think considering the smaller of gardening leave, he might not have significant input in the design of SF70H.

Also, it is not so easy to change philosophy on the current design of cars, maybe if mercedes isn't fast enough this year we may see them copying our ideas next year like the high sidepods and lower front suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by halaf View Post
    "Ferrari completed both the tests with the same engine.And can use its electrical power(160bhp) for a maximum of 50 seconds."

http://www.sportfair.it/2017/03/moto...errari/511271/

Italian translation: A part about how "mercedes is afraid of ferrari" that take almost all the article (too cheesy in my opinion, almost pathetic).Then the interesting part about the engine. They have reduced the pressure of 3.5 bar so the ERS and the MGU-H can recharge more efficiently allowing the driver to use the 160 elettrical horse power for a total of 50 seconds. To this you have to add the new Sheel fuel upgrade that with his anti-detonation elements allow the engine to last longer. Because of all of that Ferrari was able to use just one power unit during the test. In the end the article quote Marchionne saying that the team can't end another season with 0 victories.

This means Ferrari used 1 engine over 14.5 race distances.............if thats not impressive i don`t know what is :)
    This is a HUGE increase since the intro of this new V-6T-Hybrid were previous versions had a max. of electrical power(80bhp/MGU-K + 80bhp/MGU-H = 160bhp) of about 30-33secs; and the use of one power unit!!!.....MASSIVE.

My Guess is the Italian National Anthem will be BELTING out from the podium in Melbourne
    "Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Our car was so fast in 2016 that I am sure Allison will give valuable information to Mercedes, of all people.
    Allinson must have been involved in SF70H's development, so I'm afraid the answer is yes which will probably see the HamMerc evolve during this season
    "Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

Quote Originally Posted by Fiondella View Post
    Allinson must have been involved in SF70H's development, so I'm afraid the answer is yes which will probably see the HamMerc evolve during this season
    Like someone said Allison was sent to tend to his garden's needs in June/July, so I dont think he knows all that much

Quote Originally Posted by Fiondella View Post
    One man is not the difference between success or failure in F1, so don't worry too much about Allison.

Wasn't there some rumors that the new project (the 1st one that Allison was involved) was a failure and the "new"
    had started almost from scratch??!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

I remember that then was a lot of boom and gloom about this
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Wasn't there some rumors that the new project (the 1st one that Allison was involved) was a failure and the "new"
    had started almost from scratch??!!
    i could have sworn that i read something along those lines too.
    that the team back in Nov or so were NOT satisfied with the amount of downforce the so called car that was probably started being designed by Allison, and that the had to start from scratch and taht everyone around Maranello were working 7days a week around the clock...NO??? does anybody else remember stories like that??

I don't believe Allison has anything to do with the design. Last year's car was built under his watch, he had everything to do with it, it had more than a conservative design there was no innovations at all and it turned out to be a 3 legged dog.
    Looking at this year's innovative design I am confident he has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    I remember that then was a lot of boom and gloom about this
    Boom and Gloom? Is that the new name of the 2017 McLaren Honda?

Quote Originally Posted by samboozik View Post
    I don't believe Allison has anything to do with the design. Last year's car was built under his watch, he had everything to do with it, it had more than a conservative design there was no innovations at all and it turned out to be a 3 legged dog.
    Looking at this year's innovative design I am confident he has nothing to do with it.
    "Even a 3 legged dog could be fast if you attach a wheel where the 4th leg is missing."

Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    "Even a 3 legged dog could be fast if you attach a wheel where the 4th leg is missing."

Confucius

Ferrari sandbagging tactics in Formula 1 testing worries Red Bull

Ferrari's sandbagging tactics in Formula 1 pre-season testing has left Red Bull worried, according to its motorsport chief Helmut Marko. On the penultimate day of testing Vettel lifted off coming out of the final corner on his quickest laps to not reveal the full speed of the Ferrari SF70H. While the German downplayed what happened, Marko said his team was concerned the Italian team had been confident enough to employ such gamesmanship in testing. "Ferrari is very strong and reliable as well," Marko told Red Bull's Servus TV channel. "That's the difference to last year.

"What worries me somewhat is I know Vettel very well."He provocatively lifted on his fastest lap on the start and finish straight. Everybody could tell."And if you do something like this, then your self-confidence and the knowledge about having a lot more in the car is huge."

Vettel's team-mate Kimi Raikkonen gave a better insight into Ferrari's pace when he posted the only sub-1m19s laptime of testing on the final day, a 1m18.634s.That was 0.7s faster than Mercedes managed and 0.8s quicker than Red Bull, although Marko thinks fuel loads and engine mapping settings disguised the true pecking order in testing. "Nobody has shown his cards properly," he said. "If you carry 10 kg more fuel, you gain about 0.35 seconds. Furthermore, engine mappings differ. This can gain you up to one second - or it doesn't. "A lot has been kept in the dark. But if the race [Melbourne] would have taken place with the same kind of temperatures we had [in testing] then Ferrari would be in front, for sure.

While Red Bull's test programme was affected by reliability problems with Renault, Marko says that it is expecting good progress for Melbourne, and hinted at major updates. We had a few nasty failures, he explained. "Actually, it was the same one each time. Therefore we weren't able to make the amount of progress we had aimed for. Traditionally, for Melbourne, there will be a lot of new parts that look different too. But the livery will stay the same. Marko also thinks Bottas has not yet shown he is a match for Hamilton, which could open doors for rivals to get closer to the British driver if Mercedes is at the front. Barcelona has shown that Bottas cannot go at the speed of Hamilton," he said. "Should Mercedes have the same kind of technical dominance, there will not be the same 1-2 formation again. Then, others will be able to place themselves between the Mercedes drivers.

Source:autosport.com

About Ferrari's heat sink floor. I can't imagine this is hugely effective at cooling the fluids inside it, which is how I think it's purpose is being viewed. There will be some heat loss, but the angle of incidence of air flow is (I think) too shallow to reduce the temperature massively. But what the floor will be very effective at is preventing that quantity of hot fluid inside it from increasing the temperature inside the body of the car. You're not so much cooling the fluid, as moving the fluid to a place where it cannot increase the temperature of components/fluids around it. It's an incredibly elegant thermal solution as opposed directly a cooling solution, although the end result is the same. The same but better, because you're not having to work air as hard to cool the inner temp down. Maybe they have worked out a way to increase the cooling potential within the floor too, but it's hard to see how at this point.

Making the fluid flow through the floor also brings down the centre of gravity of the car.