Thread: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Vettel: Mercedes’ qualy pace a gamechanger

Mercedes’ ability to turn up their engine in qualifying is proving to be a “gamechanger” according to Sebastian Vettel.

Halfway through this year’s championship and Mercedes are leading the race for pole positions, eight to Ferrari’s two.

They are also ahead in race wins with six to Sebastian Vettel’s three. Red Bull have one.

And with Vettel’s last race win coming at May’s Monaco Grand Prix, a race that Kimi Raikkonen started from pole, the German concedes Ferrari are losing out because of their Saturday performances.

“It’s probably true that the last couple of races Mercedes was a bit stronger, but I think the real gamechanger is qualifying,” he said.

“They are able to turn up the engine, they are gaining between three and six tenths to us on the straights.

“In Baku it was seven, in Austria it was half a second.

“That’s something we can’t do. We are working on it, but it doesn’t happen overnight.

“It’s a no-brainer, if you have the cars in front for the first lap, the first corner, the race looks different.”

http://www.planetf1.com/news/vettel-...a-gamechanger/

Does anyone have access to this article, it may be insightful:

http://www.autosport.com/premium/fea...ng-for-ferrari

Charles Leclerc‏Verified account @Charles_Leclerc · 8h8 hours ago

Very happy to announce that I'll be driving 1 day for @scuderiaferrari during the F1 tests after the Hungaroring GP.

I HIGHLY recommend you guys follow this "wunderkid." He will be a force to be rekoned with.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post

Very happy to announce that I'll be driving 1 day for @scuderiaferrari during the F1 tests after the Hungaroring GP.

I HIGHLY recommend you guys follow this "wunderkid." He will be a force to be rekoned with.
    Most definitely! And finally a huge potential coming out of the Ferrari Academy.

What's gone wrong for Ferrari?
    There were signs at Silverstone that Mercedes now has Ferrari on the ropes, and it looks like a change of development direction may be to blame

By Gary Anderson
    Published on Tuesday July 18th 2017
    RSS feed

Latest

News
    Trending
    Plus

F1 RacingBehind the scenes of Kubica's F1 comeback
    Gary AndersonWhat's gone wrong for Ferrari?
    GP analysisWhy Silverstone will have terrified Ferrari
    GP analysisBritish Grand Prix driver ratings
    Friday analysisHas Silverstone exposed Ferrari's development race fears?
    Nigel RoebuckWhy Ferrari dropping Raikkonen would help F1
    Ben AndersonWho holds the key to F1's 2018 driver market?
    Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Email

The British Grand Prix was a bit of a demonstration of what I said after the last race: Mercedes now has the upper hand on Ferrari, and with Hamilton showing the form he's currently in, nobody was going to touch him.

So what has led to the Ferrari slump, if you can call it that?

Until the last couple of races, it's been able to nip at Mercedes' heels in qualifying and, if anything, had a better package when it came to conserving the tyres on race day and was always a threat and sometimes ahead.

But at Silverstone it all looked different.

Kimi Raikkonen dropped off the back of Lewis Hamilton very early in the race. Presumably Sebastian Vettel spent too much time watching to see if others were going to jump the start and made a poor start himself. But even after that, he was never really fast enough to make a comeback.

In the end, it was the tyre problems for both Ferraris that put paid to any chance of a big points finish.

Pirelli says that the problems the two Ferrari drivers had were different, but I don't see it like that. Both left-front tyres had delamination problems, and when that happens you're in the lap of the gods as to the outcome. Will the tyre stay inflated, as was the case with Raikkonen? Or will it deflate, as with Vettel?

Raikkonen's tyres were actually six laps fresher than Vettel's, while Valtteri Bottas, albeit with a different chassis, had done 31 laps on the same compound with a heavier car. So, in general, tyre life should not have been the issue.

So why, on a chassis that has been so good on its tyres until now, has this problem suddenly reared its ugly head?

At the Red Bull Ring a week before Silverstone, Ferrari introduced a new front wing with a longer-chord main plane.

This will produce more overall downforce, but have very different airflow separation characteristics, which can be much more difficult to manage.

This sort of change could lead to Ferrari running the front suspension set-up stiffer to stop that front wing getting too close to the ground.

If this is what Ferrari did, then the front tyre will be getting more of a pounding. Not only that, it can lead to more lock-ups under braking, and these local hotspots can very easily lead to delamination.

From my observations at Silverstone, both Ferrari drivers want different things from the car. Vettel turns in on the brakes, so needs confidence in the rear, which a stiffer front suspension set-up will give him. Raikkonen turns in earlier and asks for more from the front end of the car mid-corner, so he needs a more positive front end.

There will be an in-depth analysis of what happened, and as it's Ferrari there will be a few days of shouting and throwing hands up in the air and looking to the gods for the solution.

But the reality is that it's very easy to develop yourself into a corner that's difficult to get out of.

With half a season to go and the standings more or less equal, the championship is still there to be had. But a team that throws anything away will soon start to run out of recovery time.

One of the big talking points in the past few races is team-mates and the on-circuit respect between them. Or the lack of it, of course. This has been a problem since the days of chariot racing.

Give two competitive drivers two more or less identical cars and the chance of them ending up side-by-side and competing with each other for the same bit of track is more or less assured.

That's where we are now, more or less all the way down the grid. In reality, there is no way the teams can control their drivers and prevent them doing stupid things on the track and driving each other off the road. It has happened right from the front of the grid to the back - and I've been on the pitwall when it has struck my team.

From Hamilton and Nico Rosberg in Spain last year through Esteban Ocon and Sergio Perez in Canada and Azerbaijan this year to Carlos Sainz Jr and Daniil Kvyat, the most important thing to do is beat your team-mate. If you can do that (in a clean way) then the team will start to follow your direction.

But if you do it in a dirty way, you can end up paying the price and the team will decide who is the better team player, and the other will be sent packing.

Some of the younger drivers looking to move up the grid need to remember that their chances of progressing and getting a drive with a top team don't just depend on their speed.

Your pace will always show at some point in the weekend. What's vitally important is how you conduct yourself and your consistency.

Sitting at the side of the road with no wheels on your wagon does nothing for consistency, and it's only one stage away from sitting in the grandstands thinking of what might have been had you just acted that little bit differently when you had a Formula 1 career.

On Saturday morning at Silverstone, I had the opportunity to have a close look at the cars on track as they went through Brooklands, the corner at the end of the Wellington straight. This is a fairly long left-hander with a late apex.

As you arrive at high speed and want to maintain that speed for as long as possible, you will want to brake as late as possible. It's very tempting to turn in too early and brake in a straight line. But then you lose time through and out of the corner.

More or less all the cars look great and are well balanced, they are just travelling at a slightly different speed. Long gone are the days of the driver hanging the tail out as a norm - these things are basically on rails, and if you get them out of line you are either off or you lose loads of lap time scrabbling it back together. Precision is everything.

Most of the drivers go for the late entry, which means they're braking and turning in. But Raikkonen consistently turned in very early, and even on occasions clipped the inside kerb at a point where most other drivers were at least two or three car widths wider.

Kevin Magnussen was a bit random and he looked like he was trying to find the best line. One lap he would be out wide, the next hugging the inside kerb. So he looked a bit lost.

The one thing that caught my attention was Hamilton. He was taking the normal wide line sweeping into the corner, but on a couple of occasions he would just go in that little bit deeper and run a little wider. He didn't really seem to have any problems and you would normally just say he missed the apex by that little bit, the lap time was still OK. But for me it was a sign of something very intelligent.

Where most were driving around trying to go as fast as possible on their racing line, and if they made a mistake they would back out of it, he was asking the car what would happen if he was to brake five metres later and turn in five kilometres faster.

By trying it, he could go back to the engineers and say, 'I need this or that to be able to find the next two or three tenths', as opposed to going back and saying the car feels great. But it only feels great at the lap time you are doing, and he was pushing his car past that to be in possession of the solutions to reach that next step.

Love him or hate him, you can't question his talent - and what I believe I saw down at Brooklands showed me that it doesn't just happen because he's in the best car. Hamilton really does work to make that car the best and the fastest.

He and his engineer, Peter Bonnington, who is an old Jordan engineer, work very well together. A strong relationship between the driver and his engineer is crucial when it comes to maintaining that performance edge.

As for Bottas, he was the one to suffer the penalties this weekend. To come from ninth to second, albeit with a little help from the opposition with Raikkonen's tyre problem, just shows at the mid-point of the season how strong the Mercedes package is.

With one point between leader Vettel and Hamilton in the championship, it's game on for the rest of the season.

The pre-British Grand Prix event in London looked like it was fun, and more of these would be great for F1. Using them as part of F1's promotion is a very good idea, but whoever organises it needs to do it in conjunction with the following event. Don't be at loggerheads with or dilute the subsequent grand prix.

As for the British GP and Silverstone being man enough to step up and say, 'Hang on a minute, this is too expensive to be a viable business venture', it's the right thing to do. No matter what the business is, existence is dependent on making a profit, or at least breaking even, and when the numbers don't add up then it's time to shut up shop. This is exactly what Silverstone has done.

Hopefully, renewed negotiations will be positive and we will have a British GP at Silverstone for many years to come.

The one we just had shows how supportive the fans are, so now it's down to Liberty Media to make things cost effective.

Got a question for Gary Anderson? Send it to askgary@autosport.com, use #askgaryF1 on Twitter or look out for our posts on Facebook giving you the chance to have your question answered

YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    There were signs at Silverstone that Mercedes now has Ferrari on the ropes, and it looks like a change of development direction may be to blame

By Gary Anderson
    RSS feed

Latest

News
    Trending
    Plus

The British Grand Prix was a bit of a demonstration of what I said after the last race: Mercedes now has the upper hand on Ferrari, and with Hamilton showing the form he's currently in, nobody was going to touch him.

Until the last couple of races, it's been able to nip at Mercedes' heels in qualifying and, if anything, had a better package when it came to conserving the tyres on race day and was always a threat and sometimes ahead.

Kimi Raikkonen dropped off the back of Lewis Hamilton very early in the race. Presumably Sebastian Vettel spent too much time watching to see if others were going to jump the start and made a poor start himself. But even after that, he was never really fast enough to make a comeback.

In the end, it was the tyre problems for both Ferraris that put paid to any chance of a big points finish.

Pirelli says that the problems the two Ferrari drivers had were different, but I don't see it like that. Both left-front tyres had delamination problems, and when that happens you're in the lap of the gods as to the outcome. Will the tyre stay inflated, as was the case with Raikkonen? Or will it deflate, as with Vettel?

Raikkonen's tyres were actually six laps fresher than Vettel's, while Valtteri Bottas, albeit with a different chassis, had done 31 laps on the same compound with a heavier car. So, in general, tyre life should not have been the issue.

So why, on a chassis that has been so good on its tyres until now, has this problem suddenly reared its ugly head?

At the Red Bull Ring a week before Silverstone, Ferrari introduced a new front wing with a longer-chord main plane.

This will produce more overall downforce, but have very different airflow separation characteristics, which can be much more difficult to manage.

This sort of change could lead to Ferrari running the front suspension set-up stiffer to stop that front wing getting too close to the ground.

If this is what Ferrari did, then the front tyre will be getting more of a pounding. Not only that, it can lead to more lock-ups under braking, and these local hotspots can very easily lead to delamination.

From my observations at Silverstone, both Ferrari drivers want different things from the car. Vettel turns in on the brakes, so needs confidence in the rear, which a stiffer front suspension set-up will give him. Raikkonen turns in earlier and asks for more from the front end of the car mid-corner, so he needs a more positive front end.

There will be an in-depth analysis of what happened, and as it's Ferrari there will be a few days of shouting and throwing hands up in the air and looking to the gods for the solution.

But the reality is that it's very easy to develop yourself into a corner that's difficult to get out of.

With half a season to go and the standings more or less equal, the championship is still there to be had. But a team that throws anything away will soon start to run out of recovery time.

One of the big talking points in the past few races is team-mates and the on-circuit respect between them. Or the lack of it, of course. This has been a problem since the days of chariot racing.

Give two competitive drivers two more or less identical cars and the chance of them ending up side-by-side and competing with each other for the same bit of track is more or less assured.

That's where we are now, more or less all the way down the grid. In reality, there is no way the teams can control their drivers and prevent them doing stupid things on the track and driving each other off the road. It has happened right from the front of the grid to the back - and I've been on the pitwall when it has struck my team.

From Hamilton and Nico Rosberg in Spain last year through Esteban Ocon and Sergio Perez in Canada and Azerbaijan this year to Carlos Sainz Jr and Daniil Kvyat, the most important thing to do is beat your team-mate. If you can do that (in a clean way) then the team will start to follow your direction.

But if you do it in a dirty way, you can end up paying the price and the team will decide who is the better team player, and the other will be sent packing.

Some of the younger drivers looking to move up the grid need to remember that their chances of progressing and getting a drive with a top team don't just depend on their speed.

Your pace will always show at some point in the weekend. What's vitally important is how you conduct yourself and your consistency.

Sitting at the side of the road with no wheels on your wagon does nothing for consistency, and it's only one stage away from sitting in the grandstands thinking of what might have been had you just acted that little bit differently when you had a Formula 1 career.

On Saturday morning at Silverstone, I had the opportunity to have a close look at the cars on track as they went through Brooklands, the corner at the end of the Wellington straight. This is a fairly long left-hander with a late apex.

As you arrive at high speed and want to maintain that speed for as long as possible, you will want to brake as late as possible. It's very tempting to turn in too early and brake in a straight line. But then you lose time through and out of the corner.

More or less all the cars look great and are well balanced, they are just travelling at a slightly different speed. Long gone are the days of the driver hanging the tail out as a norm - these things are basically on rails, and if you get them out of line you are either off or you lose loads of lap time scrabbling it back together. Precision is everything.

Most of the drivers go for the late entry, which means they're braking and turning in. But Raikkonen consistently turned in very early, and even on occasions clipped the inside kerb at a point where most other drivers were at least two or three car widths wider.

Kevin Magnussen was a bit random and he looked like he was trying to find the best line. One lap he would be out wide, the next hugging the inside kerb. So he looked a bit lost.

The one thing that caught my attention was Hamilton. He was taking the normal wide line sweeping into the corner, but on a couple of occasions he would just go in that little bit deeper and run a little wider. He didn't really seem to have any problems and you would normally just say he missed the apex by that little bit, the lap time was still OK. But for me it was a sign of something very intelligent.

Where most were driving around trying to go as fast as possible on their racing line, and if they made a mistake they would back out of it, he was asking the car what would happen if he was to brake five metres later and turn in five kilometres faster.

By trying it, he could go back to the engineers and say, 'I need this or that to be able to find the next two or three tenths', as opposed to going back and saying the car feels great. But it only feels great at the lap time you are doing, and he was pushing his car past that to be in possession of the solutions to reach that next step.

Love him or hate him, you can't question his talent - and what I believe I saw down at Brooklands showed me that it doesn't just happen because he's in the best car. Hamilton really does work to make that car the best and the fastest.

He and his engineer, Peter Bonnington, who is an old Jordan engineer, work very well together. A strong relationship between the driver and his engineer is crucial when it comes to maintaining that performance edge.

As for Bottas, he was the one to suffer the penalties this weekend. To come from ninth to second, albeit with a little help from the opposition with Raikkonen's tyre problem, just shows at the mid-point of the season how strong the Mercedes package is.

With one point between leader Vettel and Hamilton in the championship, it's game on for the rest of the season.

The pre-British Grand Prix event in London looked like it was fun, and more of these would be great for F1. Using them as part of F1's promotion is a very good idea, but whoever organises it needs to do it in conjunction with the following event. Don't be at loggerheads with or dilute the subsequent grand prix.

As for the British GP and Silverstone being man enough to step up and say, 'Hang on a minute, this is too expensive to be a viable business venture', it's the right thing to do. No matter what the business is, existence is dependent on making a profit, or at least breaking even, and when the numbers don't add up then it's time to shut up shop. This is exactly what Silverstone has done.

Hopefully, renewed negotiations will be positive and we will have a British GP at Silverstone for many years to come.

The one we just had shows how supportive the fans are, so now it's down to Liberty Media to make things cost effective.

Got a question for Gary Anderson? Send it to askgary@autosport.com, use #askgaryF1 on Twitter or look out for our posts on Facebook giving you the chance to have your question answered
    Ferrari have lost the development race to mercedes, Kimi and Vettel did there best at Silverstone. The car is not good enough anymore to compete with mercs. hopefully they get updates asap or focus to 2018's car

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    Ferrari have lost the development race to mercedes, Kimi and Vettel did there best at Silverstone. The car is not good enough anymore to compete with mercs. hopefully they get updates asap or focus to 2018's car
    I refuse to give in at this point!!!!!!!

This team will show us all what they're made of!!..............watch this space!
    Drive it like you stole it!

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post

By Gary Anderson
    RSS feed

Latest

News
    Trending
    Plus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    I think that's a bit negative. Kimi would have split Mercs if Pirelli had given him a decent (and safe) tyre. Also Vettel had that brake problem at the start. Let's see what happens in Hungary, if we win there all of a sudden things will look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    I think that's a bit negative. Kimi would have split Mercs if Pirelli had given him a decent (and safe) tyre. Also Vettel had that brake problem at the start. Let's see what happens in Hungary, if we win there all of a sudden things will look better.
    Mwk has some valid point in it. Although it's negative.
    But Kimi was never good in race pace during this season.
    If Vettel had good start then it would have been different equation.
    I think there's no one to blame here especially pirelli.
    One thing Kimi is not fast anymore. If he gives good podiums this season that's more than enough for team.

Hungary would give better idea of mercs vs ferrari.
    If mercs win is written over there then I would call off this season pretty soon.
    Look at RB & Mercs development rate, they fixed their problems n on track it's showing. On other hand Ferrari is not as fast as other two teams.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I think there's no one to blame here especially pirelli.
    Maurizio Arrivabene was quoted in the press:

"Although the reasons to us are obvious, it is not Ferrari's style to complain about losing a second and fourth place"

as usual.....the BOSS wants an explanation:

JULY 19, 2017

Marchionne calls for Ferrari response

Sergio Marchionne has called for "an immediate response" from Ferrari after the British grand prix.

In a speech to Ferrari staff, the team's president was responding to the perception Mercedes has now clearly raced ahead in the battle for the 2017 title.

"I know you are the same team from Monte Carlo and the start of the season," said Marchionne.

"We cannot mourn this negative result but instead I expect an immediate reaction. We have always known our opponent was very strong and dominant for years.

"But I am convinced we will get back where we were."

However, former Renault boss and Italian Flavio Briatore is not convinced Ferrari can beat Mercedes this year.

"I say it with regret, but Ferrari maybe would have had a better chance if they had better exploited the problems of Mercedes from the first part of the season.

"Mercedes had its difficulties but has now reset," he added.

Finally, Ferrari boss Maurizio Arrivabene did not want to respond to Mercedes team chairman Niki Lauda's claim the Italian team caused its tyre problems at Silverstone by being too aggressive on strategy.

"Let Niki talk," said Arrivabene.

I'm glad Marchionne wants action done asap and isn't satisfied being 2nd best

Expected reaction from boss.
    Expected answer from MA.

Maurizio Arrivabene was quoted in the press:

"Although the reasons to us are obvious, it is not Ferrari's style to complain about losing a second and fourth place"
    Is he talking about pirelli, I don't think so.
    He indirectly saying, Ferrari pushed hard n pace was not there.

Ferrari to Red Bull to Merc, now hopefully back to Ferrari WCC. It's time also for F1 to stop being F Perelli ! Enough already, let F1 try to go with back to one of the former suppliers. Drivers are now not allowed to fight and push hard on curves, etc. Pirelli says so. Attention Seb! Slow down and save them tires! What's a few less points? Save those tires!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Ferrari to Red Bull to Merc, now hopefully back to Ferrari WCC. It's time also for F1 to stop being F Perelli ! Enough already, let F1 try to go with back to one of the former suppliers. Drivers are now not allowed to fight and push hard on curves, etc. Pirelli says so. Attention Seb! Slow down and save them tires! What's a few less points? Save those tires!

No body is saying drivers can't drive hard in F1 but as the case, you will blister those tyres. In fact, that pretty much goes for NASCAR, INDYCAR, CART. Sure, drive hard,

but you will make your race a 3 stopper while everyone else makes it a two stopper, most notably your competitors (Mercedes and Redbull). Strategists know this already.

Plus, set-up on the suspension and downforce plays into the equation. I have known this since I was a teenager and following F1. Its all about driving efficient. Sure, Seb

and Kimi can do sub 1:28's every lap at Silverstone during the race....so why don't they? Its about conserving the tyres to make them last no matter who the manufacture

of tyres is whether it's Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Yokohama or Pirelli. Besides, during this race, everyone else did fine with their tyres...so why Ferrari?

So why Ferrari? Who was fighting his heart out with Bottas ? After Merc, everyone else was behind Ferrari, conserving tires, I guess? Again, conserve those Pirellis , forget about a few points. Set up on suspension, and downforce need to consider the tyres available. Not just throw in an extra pit if say Seb goes at it with Lewis again. Your question, why Ferrari? That's easy to answer. Their in the championship race big time, no room for tyres not available to fight with or conform with a winning teams car set up. Slow down, throw in an extra pit won't get Ferrari back where they belong WCC and Seb WDC!!!

So why Ferrari? Who was fighting his heart out with Bottas ? After Merc, everyone else was behind Ferrari, conserving tires, I guess? Again, conserve those Pirellis , forget about a few points. Set up on suspension, and downforce need to consider the tyres available. Not just throw in an extra pit if say Seb goes at it with Lewis again. Your question, why Ferrari? That's easy to answer. Their in the championship race big time, no room for tyres not available to fight with or conform with a winning car set up. Slow down, throw in an extra pit won't get Ferrari back where they belong WCC and Seb WDC!!!
    Ferrari "F'd" up this race. You know what I think happened. They took last years data and probably the other 2 years regarding this track and made adjustments to this

years car(front end). Unfortunately, this years car is totally different with regards to aero and tyres (wider). That's what I think happened.

Merc probably had an advantage as well.....HELLO?..its in their own back yard. Not that they tested the whole car but probably certain components of the car on a mule car

with regards to aero....suspension was dialed in already on this new system that they have.

Never ever under the reign of Pirelli, we had a one stopper on Silverstone, what happened here is Mercedes is using again a trick suspension. So now they have the same advantage wi5h threw from recent years. We need to investigate and ban that trick.

Go Ferrari go!
    Sent using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Ferrari "F'd" up this race. You know what I think happened. They took last years data and probably the other 2 years regarding this track and made adjustments to this

years car(front end). Unfortunately, this years car is totally different with regards to aero and tyres (wider). That's what I think happened.

Merc probably had an advantage as well.....HELLO?..its in their own back yard. Not that they tested the whole car but probably certain components of the car on a mule car

with regards to aero....suspension was dialed in already on this new system that they have.
    judging by UK GP result Spa,Monza,USA, Malaysia, Suzuka wili be bad for us

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    Never ever under the reign of Pirelli, we had a one stopper on Silverstone, what happened here is Mercedes is using again a trick suspension. So now they have the same advantage wi5h threw from recent years. We need to investigate and ban that trick.

Go Ferrari go!
    Sent using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    judging by UK GP result Spa,Monza,USA, Malaysia, Suzuka wili be bad for us
    Let's wait and see guys...probably the next 2 to 3 races will be a good judgement of how the rest of the season MIGHT go. Ferrari will obviously learn from their mistake

and make adjustments immediately to the suspension (not so stiff maybe) and front wing downforce going forward. I, as well as some here, already have our suspicions

but let's reserve them and wait and see. This race of course was not Seb's fault and Kimi's fault....More so it falls on Maurizio's shoulders and his team.

By the way, Vettel has yet to sign the 3yr $120 million contract.... Smart of him as he is weighing his options.

here is an interesting excerpt from an article in French quoting Pirelli's Mario Isola:

Des réglages risqués de Ferrari pourraient-ils être à l’origine de ces deux problèmes – en supplément du haut niveau d’appui exigé par la piste de Silverstone - ? Mario Isola l’écarte formellement.

« Je peux dire que tout le monde était à la limite, mais je ne peux dire que ce soit à cause de différents paramètres de réglages, en comparaison des autres équipes. »

here is an interesting excerpt from an article in French quoting Pirelli's Mario Isola:

Des réglages risqués de Ferrari pourraient-ils être à l’origine de ces deux problèmes – en supplément du haut niveau d’appui exigé par la piste de Silverstone - ? Mario Isola l’écarte formellement.

« Je peux dire que tout le monde était à la limite, mais je ne peux dire que ce soit à cause de différents paramètres de réglages, en comparaison des autres équipes. »
    Great! Wonderful! ........for those that can't read French ( I myself included) here is the rest of the article with source translated.

F1 - Ferrari: Pirelli starts to explain, Vettel does not want to accuse anyone

The German does not panic

July 17, 2017 - 11:42 AM, by Alexandre Combralier

The end of the race at Silverstone recalled, to a lesser extent, the one of 2013. The two Ferrari, for different reasons it seems, had to return to the pits after being dropped by respective punctures. The red cars were then on soft tires.

Pirelli immediately explained after the race that the problems encountered by Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Räikkönen were "totally different" . The Italian manufacturer hopes to understand the precise causes in a few days.

"We started working immediately after the race, as soon as we got the tires," Pirelli manager Fario Mario Isola said. "I think we have to send the tires to Milan to do a better analysis, but of course we're pushing to get results in a few days. "

"What we can exclude is that we had a tire carcass failure for Kimi Räikkönen, because the tire was still inflated. There is a part of the tire that has been damaged and we will investigate as much as possible, not just on that tire. Sebastian had a different problem, with a loss of air pressure. "

"We will write a report, and we are working together with Ferrari, because of course, Ferrari's data is a very important part of the investigation. It is in the interest of everyone to understand what has happened. "

Could risky settings of Ferrari be the cause of these two problems - in addition to the high level of support demanded by the Silverstone track? Mario Isola dismissed it formally.

"I can say that everyone was at the limit, but I can not say that it is because of different settings settings, compared to other teams. "

On the side of the Scuderia and Maurizio Arrivabene, Pirelli is pointing rather finger.

"Even if the reasons for us are obvious, it is not in the style of Ferrari to complain after losing a 2nd and a 4th place. "

Sebastian Vettel is more cautious.

"I do not think anyone in particular is to blame. With hindsight, everything is easier. "

What will be less easy now for the German, however, is to contain the superb upgrade of Lewis Hamilton in the standings. The Englishman is now only one point and Sebastian Vettel could thus give up his first place in the next race in Hungary. But he does not worry yet.

"There is no reason to panic or be worried. The last races were not as good, but I think we can not forget how far we were last year. It's true that Mercedes has been stronger in recent races, but I think the biggest problem for us is the qualifying. At the same time, we have a fast car and once we have worked on some things, then, the deal could change again. "

https://translate.google.com/transla...ml&prev=search

So it seems Pirelli are not blaming Ferrari's set up.

So it seems Pirelli are not blaming Ferrari's set up.
    uh no....this is what he said

"I can say that everyone was at the limit, but I can not say that it is because of different settings settings, compared to other teams."
    In other words....he does not want to comment on the settings of Ferrari compared to other teams....he is leaving that part open until the investigation is complete.

There are so e rumours from Maranello
    "Ferrari to introduce huge upgrade in 2nd part of the season which has been under work for a while"
    Shell to introduce new oil spec.
    Vet seems to be confident about the gains.