Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: World champion Nico Rosberg retires from Formula One

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    Button handled Lewis while they were together at McLaren, I think he's gotten the better of Alonso too. On quickness alone I'd take Alonso over anyone else, but if you consider over-all talent I'd go with Button over everyone else.
    Apart from being a top bloke, Jenson is very very underrated.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Vettel says it “should be clear” he’s not replacing Rosberg

Sebastian Vettel has pledged his allegiance to Ferrari, despite speculation linking him to replacing the recently-retired Nico Rosberg at Mercedes in 2017.

Speaking at the Ferrari World Finals event in Daytona, Vettel said he respects Rosberg’s decision to retire as world champion, and wished him: “Happy holiday!”

When asked by Motosport.com if he could clarify his contractual situation for 2017, and whether he'd received any contact from Mercedes, he replied: “I think it’s not a big secret that both myself and Kimi [Raikkonen] both have a contract for next year – so it should be clear.”

Vettel was reluctant to comment on whether the loss of Rosberg would disrupt Mercedes going into the 2017 season.

“I don’t know what’s their plan but for us we look after ourselves for next year, there’s a lot of things changing so we’re quite busy ourselves,” he said. “Obviously, for us, we’re very positive for next year.

“I think the team is getting stronger, that is what we’ve felt in the last couple of months at the track and in the factory. We should be able to come out with a better package.”

Vettel said he wishes Rosberg well in his retirement, and that he respected his decision to quit while he was on top.

“I think everybody is free to do what he or she wants,” said Vettel. “I respect his decision. I’m sure he’ll take time off before he goes on to do something else. Happy holiday!”

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ve...osberg-856816/

Toto not wanting to upset Lewis again next year.

Wolff not keen on replacing Rosberg with big-name driver

Toto Wolff has admitted that recruiting a big-name driver to replace retired Formula 1 champion Nico Rosberg at Mercedes is not his preferred option.

Following Rosberg’s shock announcement on Friday that he will not return to defend his title in 2017, Mercedes now faces the task of choosing who to partner Lewis Hamilton with next season.

The likes of Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso have been mentioned, despite being under contract to Ferrari and McLaren respectively in 2017, as has Williams driver Valtteri Bottas, who has the advantage of being linked to Wolff by his management team.

Mercedes would also have the option of replacing Rosberg with one of its junior drivers, Pascal Wehrlein or Esteban Ocon, although the latter has already signed a deal to race at Force India.

Speaking to Gazzetta dello Sport, Wolff set out the options the German marque has – but said that trying to lure a top driver away from a rival team was not his favoured course of action.

“We have three roads that we can follow,” said Wolff. “The first is to think about having a number one and a number two, a bit like Ferrari at the time of [Michael] Schumacher and [Felipe] Massa. We can take a driver who can guarantee us points in the constructors’ championship.

“The second school of thought is to make use of our junior drivers, Ocon or Wehrlein. After all, other teams have taken a chance on guys like [Max] Verstappen or [Stoffel] Vandoorne.

“The third path is to go on the market for a top driver.”

Asked specifically whether Vettel was under consideration, Wolff added: “It’s not my intention to interfere with internal matters at Ferrari, and I don’t even know if Sebastian has a real desire to come to us.

“What would Ferrari or McLaren do without Vettel or Alonso in December? Or Williams without Bottas? The third path I mentioned is the one I like least.”

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wo...driver-856691/

Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    Toto just said: "Only Kvjat and Kimi did not call for that open position"!
    Guess that statement makes some bad blood in some teams :)
    Kimi said that he would retire after Ferrari.

My guess is in that order

1. Vettel
    2. Verstappen
    3. Ricciardo
    4. Alonso

Kimi is one of the most loyal Ferrari drivers ever.
    I don't think Seb would want to go to Mercedes. He is not the kind of guy to go racing with an extremely feisty driver like Lewis in the same car. He would need to play a lot of politics because obviously Lewis is doing that. So...i don't think he would want that.
    As for Alonso, he may like to have a payback against Lewis. So, Alonso would not surprise me. If McLaren are wiling to sell his contract of course.
    I just hope they don't go with a guy like Wehrlein. Mercedes will be a one man show that way.

Quote Originally Posted by JHAMMER View Post
    Alonso and Button deserved much better? What has Button done, won the championship with a the dominate car of that year nothing else.
    Alonso the better driver of the two, but has made some bad decisions on what teams to drive for at different times.
    Three championships between two drivers and you think the McLaren Honda is worthy of them? Seriously?

Disappointed Since 2010

I dont think most people understand how important that Mercs seat is. It gives you the biggest chance to win a title, to be the best, to go down in history. I dont blame anyone who wants it

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    I dont think most people understand how important that Mercs seat is. It gives you the biggest chance to win a title, to be the best, to go down in history. I dont blame anyone who wants it
    Yeah, but nobody can be very sure that Mercedes will be the dominant team next year. With the rule changes, my money would go on RB. Aggressive aero suits them the best. And Renault should have a more competitive engine as well. However, i Mercedes will be up there for sure. I just hope Ferrari wont be a fail again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Button will not be back, he has plans for GT500 with Honda.

The interesting thing about Fernando, 2018, is pretty penned in to drive for Porsche in WEC. Plus, with Baku being moved back a week from Le-Mans weekend, and there is no F1 clash with the Le-Mans test day and even Spa race. Theres rumours now that there could be very good chance Fernando will be offered a drive for next years Spa race, test day and Le-Mans race with Porsche. Nothing is concrete, but there is alot of rumblings going on now. If he does switch to Merc, there goes his chance to drive for Porsche next year. Merc wouldnt allow him to go drive for a "rival" manufacturer. In rival, i mean German car brand and maybe win in it.

Felipe? i havent heard any rumblings about where, or even if he will race. Im sure he will, but what in, no idea.
    AF Corse Attachment 6810

It might not be such a bad idea to lure paddy away from Mercedes in this very moment. They've been way too comfortable in the last three years.

It's going to be Pascal Wehrlein, worth taking a shot with a younger driver going into new regs, easier for them to adapt, and going into a big team after 1 year hasn't exactly ruined Verstappen has it. Plus I think Wehrlein is very good, Michael Schumacher rated him very highly.

If Vettel goes to Mercs, who is gonna come to Ferrari.

(google translated)

Mercedes: Bottas and Wehrlein are played over from Rosberg

List of Toto Wolff, Mercedes Motorsport Director, in the end I was left only two names. At the discounted Pascal Wehrlein is added to Valtteri Bottas. But Williams is not prepared to give gifts to the Brackley team ...

the first meetings began today in the headquarters of Mercedes in Brackley to evaluate all possible options to identify the replacement for Nico Rosberg. The seat vacated by the World Champion is definitely scope but less than three months from the first test of the season in 2017, things get complicated.

The rumors emerged in the day today give precise signals to a "soft" solution, ie without great straining of already armored names first floor contractually with other teams.

Obviously the easiest decision would be to Pascal Wehrlein, and in fact is a distinct possibility on the desk of Toto Wolff.

But there are also rumors of an already occurred contact with Williams to probe the possibility of releasing Valtteri Bottas.

The Finn likes Toto Wolff (has long been his manager and perhaps in part still is) but the British team does not seem willing to want to accept a Bottas-Wehrlein exchange.

At this point, a lot will depend also on what the Mercedes will be willing to spend for the operation, which will decide whether to use the budget item that was already reserved for the salary of Rosberg (over 20 million euro), or if the line will prevail not to accept conditions exaggerated by the Williams. The game, however, is open ...

http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/mer...osberg-857111/

I hope this will get much more complicated before any decision is taken by Merc, there is such a long time until unveiling of the new cars.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

McLaren Confident Alonso Won't Leave For Mercedes

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...e-for-mercedes

So it's Alonso to Mercedes then.

Mercedes will buy Bottas. They will make Williams an offer they can't refuse.

BREAKING NEWS: World champion Nico Rosberg retires from Formula One

Quote Originally Posted by killer View Post

Mate, if Barkley produces another beast then that will be the only thing worth entertainment next year

Quote Originally Posted by killer View Post
    McLaren Confident Alonso Won't Leave For Mercedes

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...e-for-mercedes

I sure hope so!
    Silently, like a shadow

For the fact that Toto said only 2 drivers havent called him which excludes Vettel just goes to show how much loyalty Vettel has for Ferrari. The minute the door was open he was willing to step out. I think Toto turned him down thats why he came out with a statement that he is in contract with Ferrari blah blah blah. I don't trust him anymo. Kimi is the best I must say. Long live Kimi

Quote Originally Posted by phsyklone View Post
    For the fact that Toto said only 2 drivers havent called him which excludes Vettel just goes to show how much loyalty Vettel has for Ferrari. The minute the door was open he was willing to step out. I think Toto turned him down thats why he came out with a statement that he is in contract with Ferrari blah blah blah. I don't trust him anymo. Kimi is the best I must say. Long live Kimi
    Not being naive here, but hard to believe everything coming out of Toto and co.

Toto has also said today that Mercedes have​ to consider Alonso.

Nice one Diek!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Toto has also said today that Mercedes have​ to consider Alonso.
    Can not trust him. He can use this to divert attention from likes of Sainz, Bottas

Quote Originally Posted by phsyklone View Post
    I imagine most drivers with ambitions to win a title would be interested in the Merc seat, Kimi is just collecting his pay regardless with no real ambition, but yeah that makes him the best
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I imagine most drivers with ambitions to win a title would be interested in the Merc seat, Kimi is just collecting his pay regardless with no real ambition, but yeah that makes him the best
    You somehow try to make Kimi not calling Mercedes a bad thing, so him calling about the opening would have been a good thing. Lay off the pot man, please... For all our sakes

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    You somehow try to make Kimi not calling Mercedes a bad thing, so him calling about the opening would have been a good thing. Lay off the pot man, please... For all our sakes
    No need to be insulting, yes I do believe it shows a lack of ambition, let's not pretend any driver is loyal to Ferrari.
    Forza Ferrari

No need to be insulting, yes I do believe it shows a lack of ambition, let's not pretend any driver is loyal to Ferrari.
    Massa was.

Disappointed Since 2010

I stand bye what I said. And remember we are here for you. You are not alone, we are all here for you. Just say no to it