Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: World champion Nico Rosberg retires from Formula One

Quote Originally Posted by abbottcostello View Post
    Best part is Lewis won't have a chance to wrest the title from Nico next season!

Lewis' statement on Nico retiring...

"This is the first time he's won [in their rivalry since karting] in 18 years, hence why it was not a surprise that he decided to stop"

What a team mate, multiple WDC's & still classless. Yup Lew, it's really all about you.
    Totally agree: Lewis is a classless competitor. That's why he needs all the bling he is carrying everywhere, because he is deeply hollow and needs artificial lights to shine. His statment is his true picture. He is as genuine as a three dollar bill. A very poor man in every sense.

Quote Originally Posted by tezca View Post
    Totally agree: Lewis is a classless competitor. That's why he needs all the bling he is carrying everywhere, because he is deeply hollow and needs artificial lights to shine. His statment is his true picture. He is as genuine as a three dollar bill. A very poor man in every sense.
    This.

Disappointed Since 2010

I have always hoped LH would smooth out with maturity but many years have passed and I see no progress in his character development and he remains as antipatico as ever
    and he seems to excel in crudity and thoughtlessness?

Quote Originally Posted by tezca View Post
    How very poor can Lewis be? Millions & Millions of hard earned WDC $$$ dollars! For sure proven as one of the best F1 drivers to come along. A genuine champion in every sense as far as F1 is concerned. I never realized how much F1 fans are so terribly concerned with Lewis' attire, friends, interviews, etc ! Meanwhile Lewis is enjoying and making the most out of life on and off the track ! Who could ask for anything more?
    Meanwhile Nico quit F1 !! Just how happy could he have been in the sport of F1 ? Think about our boy Seb! Blessed all year with a bomb for a ride and still proud and ready to be there @ Ferrari next season come rain or shine!

was this taken hours after the news broke out about Rosberg's retirement?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    How very poor can Lewis be? Millions & Millions of hard earned WDC $$$ dollars! For sure proven as one of the best F1 drivers to come along. A genuine champion in every sense as far as F1 is concerned. I never realized how much F1 fans are so terribly concerned with Lewis' attire, friends, interviews, etc ! Meanwhile Lewis is enjoying and making the most out of life on and off the track ! Who could ask for anything more?
    Meanwhile Nico quit F1 !! Just how happy could he have been in the sport of F1 ? Think about our boy Seb! Blessed all year with a bomb for a ride and still proud and ready to be there @ Ferrari next season come rain or shine!
    I don't think he or she meant "poor" in a monetary sense. Hamilton has a track record of saying and doing things that rub fans the wrong way. Coincidentally, the two drivers we're losing this season, Felipe Massa and Jenson Button, behave in a manner that is the polar opposite of the way Lewis Hamilton carries himself.

Disappointed Since 2010

If they get in Pascal, it would be a disaster (atleast for the others )
    Assuming Mercs still have the dominant car in the field, and if Pascal stays for 2-3 years , it could lead to lewis winning atleast 2 more titles.
    In any case I don't want that Looser to reach even close to Schumi's records !
    Alonso: “I stopped as a Ferrari driver but from Monday I’m a Ferrari supporter.”

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...o-rosberg-seat

maybe he's kidding, or maybe not.
    Forza Ferrari

Mec should give alo a chance, why not may be if car is not enjoyable he will quit in 2018! i believe that's what he said. Come on Alo get that seat you deserve it........

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    I don't think they will go for Alonso, Ham and him would be to much drama for Merc
    Quite possibly. But pretty sure Merc can handle it better than ron dennis did. And the only reason it blew up was cause RD was playing favourites with LH.
    I would think Vettel can also be considered as one of the prospects.
    I would love to see Alonso in that seat. But SV or Max could also give LH a nice spanking. Will be fun.
    But Merc will play it safe and take pascal or someone else. IMHO.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    I don't think so... Honestly, judging by for the past 8 years why would anyone?!
    There is nothing from the past and old glory. Only future! One can not live in the past!
    Very well put.
    These are race car drivers and their career is short. They need to make the best of it. And we all know and have seen how SV takes care of his needs first over a teams (multi-21 comes to mind). So dont be too surprised if SV jumps ship.
    I for one would love to see Alonso in that seat. And if its a fair team instead of Ron Dennis' wet dream, the battle between the two will be fantastic to watch!!
    Silently, like a shadow

shouldn't Alonso stay at Macca? sure Merc has (at the moment) the best car by far, but making the Mclaren-Honda fast is a great challenge.

I would like to see Jenson at Mercedes. Too many good drivers are leaving. I understand changing of era, but 3 is too much in an year. Felipe doesnt look interested anymore but I think Button still has some fight in him. It will class up the joint a bit and provide decent competition to lewis and other rivals which might come up( sadly looking at RBR now) plus he has experience with the new models of cars, a good developer etc. I think young blood will strugle a bit with wider tires and a lot faster cars, providing valuable development input etc

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    I would like to see Jenson at Mercedes. Too many good drivers are leaving. I understand changing of era, but 3 is too much in an year. Felipe doesnt look interested anymore but I think Button still has some fight in him. It will class up the joint a bit and provide decent competition to lewis and other rivals which might come up( sadly looking at RBR now) plus he has experience with the new models of cars, a good developer etc. I think young blood will strugle a bit with wider tires and a lot faster cars, providing valuable development input etc
    Yes, he can be an apt 1 year contract driver before other top drivers are available after 2017, but that will sacrifice his post retirement options at McLaren.

Button will not be back, he has plans for GT500 with Honda.

The interesting thing about Fernando, 2018, is pretty penned in to drive for Porsche in WEC. Plus, with Baku being moved back a week from Le-Mans weekend, and there is no F1 clash with the Le-Mans test day and even Spa race. Theres rumours now that there could be very good chance Fernando will be offered a drive for next years Spa race, test day and Le-Mans race with Porsche. Nothing is concrete, but there is alot of rumblings going on now. If he does switch to Merc, there goes his chance to drive for Porsche next year. Merc wouldnt allow him to go drive for a "rival" manufacturer. In rival, i mean German car brand and maybe win in it.

Felipe? i havent heard any rumblings about where, or even if he will race. Im sure he will, but what in, no idea.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I don't think he or she meant "poor" in a monetary sense. Hamilton has a track record of saying and doing things that rub fans the wrong way. Coincidentally, the two drivers we're losing this season, Felipe Massa and Jenson Button, behave in a manner that is the polar opposite of the way Lewis Hamilton carries himself.
    I am a Felipe fan big time. F1 driver wise look where these polar opposites finished compared to Lewis. Ok who out there is dying to respond, It's the car! Our forum here should be about drivers racing and there results. "Access Hollywood " is where the off track and interview gossip should be. Given time , who knows Lewis may very well top such greats as Schumy? He's for sure heading there!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    I am a Felipe fan big time. F1 driver wise look where these polar opposites finished compared to Lewis. Ok who out there is dying to respond, It's the car! Our forum here should be about drivers racing and there results. "Access Hollywood " is where the off track and interview gossip should be. Given time , who knows Lewis may very well top such greats as Schumy? He's for sure heading there!
    I'm not going to sit behind my screen and say that Massa and Button are just as talented as Hamilton. Perhaps Massa was before his accident, we'll never know. I will say that either of them would have won more championships if given a car capable of doing so. Both have proven their abilities in the past.

My point is that drivers are the faces of the teams they drive for. Right now, Vettel and Raikkonen are the faces of Ferrari. Ecclestone has chosen to criticize Vettel for not being rock and roll enough compared Hamilton, who he claims is the better champion because of the way he jet sets around the world. Personally, I would rather have Vettel or Raikkonen than Hamilton because the results will ultimately be the same, except without Hamilton's buffoonery.

Disappointed Since 2010

I am giving mine vote that Alonso will go there.
    Me too..... would love to see ham vs Alonso again vs RB's.

Toto just said: "Only Kvjat and Kimi did not call for that open position"!
    Guess that statement makes some bad blood in some teams :)

Interesting... But why would LH abandon his alien rocket ship for unknown Ferrari?!
    Cause it won't be necessarily a space ship next year.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

It is more likely that Mercedes will continue to be fast also next year.

Lauda 'constantly taking calls' from drivers interested in Rosberg's seat

Mercedes chairman Niki Lauda says half of the Formula One grid are putting themselves forward for Nico Rosberg's vacant seat next year.

In a surprise announcement on Friday, the reigning champion retired from the sport with immediate effect, leaving Mercedes facing the huge task of replacing him over the winter. Team boss Toto Wolff said the search for Lewis Hamilton's new teammate would start on Monday, but with 18 of the best drivers in the world already under contract for 2017 it is unlikely to be a straightforward process.

Nevertheless, Lauda let slip that many of the current F1 drivers had already been in touch with him to talk about the situation.

"Practically half of Formula One and maybe more," he told Gazzetta dello Sport. "I am constantly taking calls."

Mercedes has one obvious choice already under contract in Pascal Wehrlein, who drove his debut season for Manor this year and has frequently tested next year's tyres with the team. But Lauda hinted that Mercedes might want someone with more experience.

"Hiring a youngster is a risk and we don't know how strong they would be," he added.

Lauda admitted the situation had taken him by surprise.

"I took it badly. I was not expecting it. Nobody in Mercedes imagined he could say 'enough'. At first I didn't believe him.

"'Nico,' I told him. "Are you pulling my leg? Is it a joke?' But he seriously said it was all true. Truly incredible."

Source: http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...o-rosberg-seat

I wonder if Vettel is one of those drivers that is thinking of jumping ship? There is no guarantee that Merc will be number 1 again next year. There is a strong possibility, however wouldn't it be ironic if verstapen jumped ship and Red Bull ended up being the team to beat? They have been pushing for these changes and are really good with Aero. Interesting times ahead...
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

I know the merc seat is probably the best one out there, but I wonder if these comments about half the grid calling them is to just to unsettle the rival teams going into next season. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by bondilad View Post
    I know the merc seat is probably the best one out there, but I wonder if these comments about half the grid calling them is to just to unsettle the rival teams going into next season. Just a thought.
    It is very possible, but I do believe he is getting a lot of calls. But don't the managers call the teams and not the drivers themselves?

Maybe vettel goes to Merc and Alonso makes a return to Ferrari lol. Or Perez takes Vettel seat. Lauda did say he was leaning towards a more experienced driver.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    The vastly inferior McLaren suits Fernando Alonso? I've seen some dumb things on this forum over the years, but this one takes the cake. Alonso and Button deserved much better!
    Alonso and Button deserved much better? What has Button done, won the championship with a the dominate car of that year nothing else.
    Alonso the better driver of the two, but has made some bad decisions on what teams to drive for at different times.
    Changes aren't permanent........But change is.
    ALL LIVES MATTER... EVEN YOURS

Mercedes F1 reluctant to chase Vettel or Alonso to replace Rosberg
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ttel-or-alonso

In my opinion Bottas will replace Nico even if Toto denies that option.

Must admit I would love to see Verstappen at Merc..............two fast egotistical drivers who care about no one but themselves not even the team they drive for!!!!
    Bring it on and let the fans enjoy first corner spectacles a plenty as the fur flies!!!!
    Who would deliver????? interesting!!!!

Hopefully they would take each other off..... often enough for the all conquering heroes in red to fly past and clinch the WCC maybe even the WDC as well
    Sainz to RB and Nasr to Toro sorted!!!!!
    I would be one very happy F1 fan.

Forza Jules

Your thoughts warm my heart

Quote Originally Posted by JHAMMER View Post
    Alonso and Button deserved much better? What has Button done, won the championship with a the dominate car of that year nothing else.
    Alonso the better driver of the two, but has made some bad decisions on what teams to drive for at different times.
    Button handled Lewis while they were together at McLaren, I think he's gotten the better of Alonso too. On quickness alone I'd take Alonso over anyone else, but if you consider over-all talent I'd go with Button over everyone else.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.