Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Massa in 'advanced' talks with Williams for F1 comeback,

What is the buy in for Felipe? Money ? I doubt he is in bed of that. He was greeted off F1 like a hero in Brasil and lets face it it is not a wise move to ruin that just after months.... and the form .. is it there ? Or he will be questioned race after race ?
    So again why do it ?
    For me he better stay away.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    What is the buy in for Felipe? Money ? I doubt he is in bed of that. He was greeted off F1 like a hero in Brasil and lets face it it is not a wise move to ruin that just after months.... and the form .. is it there ? Or he will be questioned race after race ?
    So again why do it ?
    For me he better stay away.
    Many said the same about Schumi......
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Many said the same about Schumi......
    True. How bout massa ?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Well Schumi owed Mercedes for supporting and investing in him prior his F1 days. He was called to help develop a winning car, and he did exactly that. Massa owes Williams nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Massa owes Williams nothing.
    Cause you say so?
    Forza Ferrari

Sky Sports Italy: Massa accepted Williams offer

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Sky Sports Italy: Massa accepted Williams offer
    I believe so but it's not yet signed and sealed, being a Felipe fan I'm happy, although I'm still not sure he should do it!

I think he's insane.

He had a beautiful send off in Brazil and I had made my peace with him going.

I'd rather he just went off and got drunk and fat for a wee while before joining a different series.

ETA: If it was Ferrari he was returning to and not Williams I would be saying something completely different
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    I think he's insane.

He had a beautiful send off in Brazil and I had made my peace with him going.

I'd rather he just went off and got drunk and fat for a wee while before joining a different series.

ETA: If it was Ferrari he was returning to and not Williams I would be saying something completely different
    I concur he has nothing to gain and everything to lose by this move.

Forza Jules

Bad move from Felipe I think.

I cant see Stroll showing him up in his first year, but equally I don't think there's anywhere for Massa to improve performance wise. Williams are only going to remain stagnant around fifth, if not worse when McLaren and maybe even Toro Rosso overtake them.

My main grievance with it is that the send off he had in Brazil (as Suzie said) seems like a complete waste. It's a bit like going to the last ever Queen concert and then hearing they're doing another one the following week. All the presents, gestures of good will and so on; it seems a waste.

I know drivers have returned plenty of times before, but not like this.

Then there's the inevitable Bottas move to Mercedes, which is just downright boring.

I'm a big Massa fan too, and I can't help but agree with you guys.

Disappointed Since 2010

I've said it before 3 main guys retiring in a year is bad for the sport. I'm glad Felipe will run again, what are you guys worried about? Just enjoy it, everybody said Kimi is past it, but he had a good year, Felipe has the experience in that Williams, he will probably beat young Stroll. Lets not forget, we are going back to wider tires and faster cars, so i believe the "old" guys will have an advantage because they have seen it before. Look for Alonso, Raikkonen, Massa and Hamilton to impress in my opinion

I had the same feelings everyone else is having, then I thought about what a stressful season it could be (well, as stressful as it can be for a fan ) & decided to change my mindset on the whole thing.
    #1 The expectations of Williams shouldn't put any pressure on him
    #2 He will likely outperform Stroll, unless the kid is way better than I think he will be.
    #3 Aside from all the good feedback he can give to the team, he could be somewhat of a teacher/mentor to Lance, something you don't usually expect to see in F1 driver.

And don't forget, he's doing Williams a big solid here so no way they can ask for the 2016 retirement gift back & etiquette dictates he receives another when he re-retires.

I will go into the season trying to fully enjoy a bonus year of Felipe, hoping it will be nothing but a positive experience for him as well.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hopefully not; but if Ferrari has another tearfull year chasing Merc, I need Felipe back on the track every race so as to have someone else to also hope and cheer for. Where's Seb, Kimi , Felipe is all I watch every race. He probably got a phone call from Alonso saying " Are you nuts?" get back in your seat ASAP ! As far as Brasil's fans are concerned, the send of was great! The welcome back will be even better!

James Allison replacing Paddy at Merc after his "gardening" leave is over in June. Why any tech staff we get rid off at Ferrari is always welcome to Mercs? Aldo Costa comes to mind.

I wouldn't say Felipe iis insane for agreeing to come back and he may just surprise everyone, but I have my reservations like many others, especially if it all goes pear-shaped. However, he obviously still has the hunger, but after all the retirement emotions and send-offs, it's slightly embarrassing and open to abuse by the media.

If we forget all sentimental blah, the main reason Felipe retied is that there was no seat for him in any decent team. And don't get me wrong, i have always like him as person and driver. Now this is jackpot for Felipe: have an extra year, new regulations, have his seat back even No1 driver and laugh all his way to bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    If we forget all sentimental blah, the main reason Felipe retied is that there was no seat for him in any decent team. And don't get me wrong, i have always like him as person and driver. Now this is jackpot for Felipe: have an extra year, new regulations, have his seat back even No1 driver and laugh all his way to bank.
    I will use the word "Jackpot!" for your post! You are right on the $$! A win, win, situation for Felipe! That #1 seat is where he belonged all along @ Williams. Congeniality is his trademark, seldom found in todays F1 world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    I will use the word "Jackpot!" for your post! You are right on the $$! A win, win, situation for Felipe! That #1 seat is where he belonged all along @ Williams. Congeniality is his trademark, seldom found in todays F1 world.
    Actually he was brought for the #1 seat at Williams, a guy with experience to lead the team. Of course you know about that part of the car, above the head of the driver, which is painted bright yellow-green for the number 2 in the teams. Well for Williams last year the number 2 was Bottas, he had it. Unfortunately Bottas got the better of him troughout their duel, but it was close between them.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Actually he was brought for the #1 seat at Williams, a guy with experience to lead the team. Of course you know about that part of the car, above the head of the driver, which is painted bright yellow-green for the number 2 in the teams. Well for Williams last year the number 2 was Bottas, he had it. Unfortunately Bottas got the better of him troughout their duel, but it was close between them.
    By #1 seat I meant priority from management, not paint job. Unfortunately Bottas got got the better of the cars throughout their duels. But at the end of theseason I think they switched cars!

Cause you say so?
    Well, nobody forced Schumy to make a comeback, but he did because out of ethics.

Well, nobody forced Schumy to make a comeback, but he did because out of ethics.
    Doubt he came back just because Merc gave him some money when he was 12....
    Forza Ferrari

Doubt he came back just because Merc gave him some money when he was 12....
    Some money? They invested in him just as McLaren invested in Hamilton. He was a part of a big project.

Some money? They invested in him just as McLaren invested in Hamilton. He was a part of a big project.
    No they never
    Forza Ferrari

If Felipe considered retirement solely because he didnt have a competitive seat, then its just as well that he has accepted to come back. If its because he is not able to let go, maybe he should reconsider cause he will never perform fully.
    But its nice to have him back. Hope he does well against the youngster stroll.
    Wonder if Bottas can keep up with Hamilton; on track as well as in-team politics that he invariably seems to foster.
    Silently, like a shadow

FerrariSteve Guest
    No disrespect to Felipe, but imo if Williams have Massa and Stroll for 2017 then they are only going to head in one direction.. backwards. other teams will pass them

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    No disrespect to Felipe, but imo if Williams have Massa and Stroll for 2017 then they are only going to head in one direction.. backwards. other teams will pass them
    Can see McLaren and Toro Rosso being ahead of them regardless of their drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    I have faith in Felipei if Clair's ok putting him in Bottas #1 spot. A reliable car and he can do 8th spot or better than Bottas did. They managed 138pts. with what they had car wise, Alonso & Button 75 pts. If anything Force India is a " Force " to deal with! Finishing up with 173 pts!

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Can see McLaren and Toro Rosso being ahead of them regardless of their drivers.
    Spot on, 2017 was shaping up to be a tough year for Williams, even if it remained Bottas/Stroll, subbing Felipe in for Valteri should make for a negligible drop off, if at all, for them.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

IMO Massa still has that racing speed, and Williams need one older driver to get accurate feedback, so it is good for both, but anyway, I think that Williams is not gonna fight about podiums 2017.
    And if I am right about that, that Massa still has that racing speed, then Bottas must be top driver, I know it does not look like so, it is more like boring driving, but who knows. We will see.