Thread: Marchionne fires warning to ‘agitated’ Vettel

Marchionne fires warning to ‘agitated’ Vettel

Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne has warned Sebastian Vettel he must drive with more composure and calmness to remain with the team beyond 2017.

The statement comes after a frustrating 2016 campaign for the Maranello outfit, that saw them fail to register a victory across the season for the second time in three years.

Lead driver Sebastian Vettel was subject to controversy over the year, the German’s radio rants, in particular in Mexico, marred a disappointing campaign.

Team principal Maurizio Arrivabene said Vettel had to ‘earn his place’ in the team to secure his future, the four-time champions contract is set to run out at the end of next season.

“As for our racing drivers, it’s work in progress,” said Marchionne quoted by Repubblica.

“I admit we are looking around us for the future, by carefully analysing the others’ situations. That doesn’t mean we don’t have confidence in our drivers, but it’s fair to say they are under scrutiny.

“I’m happy with Raikkonen’s season – he will race again in 2017, but what about after that? Does he want to retire or carry on?

“With Vettel it doesn’t make sense to talk about renewal now, we must first understand if he feels comfortable with us in 2017.”

The 63-year-old added: “We must give him a winning car, otherwise talking about the future is useless.

“He wants to win with us, we know that. Can we guarantee that for him? In exchange, he must drive with composure, be more calm, less agitated.

“He must think about winning on the track and beat the other cars, not about getting into personal feuds.”

Ferrari recently appointed GP2 runner-up Antonio Giovinazzi as their third driver for next year; the Italian could be seen as a future replacement should Vettel or Raikkonen partway with the Italian squad.

http://readmotorsport.com/2016/12/20...itated-vettel/
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne has warned Sebastian Vettel he must drive with more composure and calmness to remain with the team beyond 2017.

The statement comes after a frustrating 2016 campaign for the Maranello outfit, that saw them fail to register a victory across the season for the second time in three years.

Lead driver Sebastian Vettel was subject to controversy over the year, the German’s radio rants, in particular in Mexico, marred a disappointing campaign.

Team principal Maurizio Arrivabene said Vettel had to ‘earn his place’ in the team to secure his future, the four-time champions contract is set to run out at the end of next season.

“As for our racing drivers, it’s work in progress,” said Marchionne quoted by Repubblica.

“I admit we are looking around us for the future, by carefully analysing the others’ situations. That doesn’t mean we don’t have confidence in our drivers, but it’s fair to say they are under scrutiny.

“I’m happy with Raikkonen’s season – he will race again in 2017, but what about after that? Does he want to retire or carry on?

“With Vettel it doesn’t make sense to talk about renewal now, we must first understand if he feels comfortable with us in 2017.”

The 63-year-old added: “We must give him a winning car, otherwise talking about the future is useless.

“He wants to win with us, we know that. Can we guarantee that for him? In exchange, he must drive with composure, be more calm, less agitated.

“He must think about winning on the track and beat the other cars, not about getting into personal feuds.”

Ferrari recently appointed GP2 runner-up Antonio Giovinazzi as their third driver for next year; the Italian could be seen as a future replacement should Vettel or Raikkonen partway with the Italian squad.

http://readmotorsport.com/2016/12/20...itated-vettel/
    Sad to say, unless the team ups its game, it will not keep the best drivers. Build a decent car and VET (and RAI) will win races.
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post

.....“With Vettel it doesn’t make sense to talk about renewal now, we must first understand if he feels comfortable with us in 2017.”

Thought this was done & dusted. Didn't MA state right after Mexico that he had talked to Seb about this? Wish these articles would give more detail to the context this was all said in.
    Like you say Nick, we've got 2 drivers who will win with a decent car. How frustrating must it be to know your car is that little bit lacking in HP, DF & traction, so that instead of getting closer to Merc, you've actually fallen behind RB over the course of the season!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

To me it sounds like Vettel will leave Ferrari for another team unless he gets a car that can win races and fight for a championship. That he already has an option on a 2018 top drive. Mercedes as a german? RB(probably not)?

A world champ deserves a world class car. If I were Marchionne, I'd shut up and develop.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Well said Tifoso!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    A world champ deserves a world class car. If I were Marchionne, I'd shut up and develop.
    Forza Ferrari

Exactly to the point

Seb Vettel seems to have immersed himself in the Ferrari and Italian culture with enthusiasm, he makes a lot of effort to integrate with the team, his frustration at not having the car underneath him is understandable, so it's up to the team to provide him (and Kimi) with a car capable of challenging for wins. If next year's car can't do it, he will be gone, and you can't blame him.

If our drivers would want to leave, the only better options are Merc and RBR. RBR look set up for some years now and Mercedes will probably keep Lewis and if Bottas(if he is chosen) will have a good year then they will keep both. If Bottas isnt kept then there is still only one place open and a big fight for it. If Bottas dissapoints then they will get the best option, which for me looks like Alonso at the moment. So there might be nowhere to go for Seb and Kimi. Raikkonen has already said that he wants to retire with Ferrari, so it might be up to the level of his performance and especially if he wants to stay one more year. As for Seb, he might not be the 1st option for Mercedes, if they will want to change

Yep. Less talk, more fast Sergio.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    If our drivers would want to leave, the only better options are Merc and RBR. RBR look set up for some years now and Mercedes will probably keep Lewis and if Bottas(if he is chosen) will have a good year then they will keep both. If Bottas isnt kept then there is still only one place open and a big fight for it. If Bottas dissapoints then they will get the best option, which for me looks like Alonso at the moment. So there might be nowhere to go for Seb and Kimi. Raikkonen has already said that he wants to retire with Ferrari, so it might be up to the level of his performance and especially if he wants to stay one more year. As for Seb, he might not be the 1st option for Mercedes, if they will want to change
    I don't think Bottas goes to Mercedes without longer than a one year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    I agree, but this is so funny. What is so difficult with Bottas anyway, Toto is his agent or at least one of them!! With whom does he negotiate about 1, 2 or 3 year contract, with himself?

Why not? I think they will go for a 1+1 year contract, if he doesn't put a good performance he might not get that second year. This is make or break for Bottas, if he doesn't perform he might end up like Checo.

Well, now that you mentioned it there is a chance that after 2017 there can be two Ferrari seats available.

Well, now that you mentioned it there is a chance that after 2017 there can be two Ferrari seats available.
    As you appear to have been indulging in the dark side, Ed, we could even get Felipe back in the Ferrari in 2018 at this rate!!

Things surely cannot be that bad?

EXACTLY!!
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

Does that mean he wants a car as fast as his rivals????

Quote Originally Posted by ManFromMilan View Post
    Does that mean he wants a car as fast as his rivals????
    No , I think he wants a nicer paint finish esp. Red and a mirror defroster, both sides, and maybe better speakers for his radio.

I really wish things like this would go on behind closed doors.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    No , I think he wants a nicer paint finish esp. Red and a mirror defroster, both sides, and maybe better speakers for his radio.
    Very funny Brembo

Forza Jules