Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2017 WEC, IMSA&ELMS thread.

So many times when the F1 have let us down the GT boys have done us proud! Hated the state of the broadcast cameras though.

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    So many times when the F1 have let us down the GT boys have done us proud! Hated the state of the broadcast cameras though.
    AF boys will never let you down, may have bit of bad luck here and there, but always great to watch.

Yes, i did actually go to wipe my TV at one point thinking Keira and Jacob had splashed `something on there.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Seems Porsche are set to leave LMP1 as well. Probably not a coincidence that they're embroiled in yet another diesel emissions scandal. Diesels should just be banned outright and existing vehicles should be scrapped.

Nevertheless, I'm sure Toyota (if they're still around) will find some way to balls up Le Mans next year too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    Seems Porsche are set to leave LMP1 as well. Probably not a coincidence that they're embroiled in yet another diesel emissions scandal. Diesels should just be banned outright and existing vehicles should be scrapped.

Nevertheless, I'm sure Toyota (if they're still around) will find some way to balls up Le Mans next year too.
    Yeah shame that there's almost no one left in LMP1.

Quote Originally Posted by killer View Post
    Yeah shame that there's almost no one left in LMP1.
    Porsche still planning Le-Mans 2018. Plus, there are 2 manufacturers coming in next year i believe. Problem over the years, is the ACO/FIA loved having Porsche, Audi and Toyota. But with their multi million spending on the hybrids, that has pretty much made it unaffordable for any small team/manufacturer to enter and be competitive. Now, i think this will attract smaller manufacturers, and be bit like what we had early 2000s.

Things all have life cycles, and think this for now has been the big manufacturers time. Toyota, may stay next year. Or will commit long term and wait for Peugeot in 2020.

NEW TEAM PRESIDENT FOR TOYOTA GAZOO RACING (WEC)

Hisatake Murata has become the new Team President of TOYOTA GAZOO Racing (WEC) and President of TOYOTA Motorsport GmbH (TMG) with immediate effect.

Murata has been responsible for TOYOTA’s hybrid powertrain development in motorsport from the very first racing hybrid in 2006, and he has overseen the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) project since the team’s 2012 entry.

He takes over from Toshio Sato, who held the position since April 2015 and has now been reassigned to a key role within the Power Train Company of TOYOTA Motor Corporation.

Murata will bring his extensive motorsport experience to TMG, having previously worked on TOYOTA’s Champ Car and Group C Le Mans projects, whilst recently holding responsibility for the company’s successful Super GT and Super Formula programmes.

As well as retaining responsibility for the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing WEC project, Murata will now additionally be responsible for TMG’s other activities, which include R&D projects for TOYOTA Motor Corporation, third party services and customer motorsport.

Working in close cooperation with Murata at TMG will be Rob Leupen, Managing Director and Vice President Business Operations and Pascal Vasselon as Vice President Technical Engineering.

Hisatake Murata: “I am proud to take this new role at TMG. Since the beginning of our hybrid LMP1 project, I have built up a strong relationship with TMG members so I am looking forward to working together even more closely as we push to succeed in all areas. I would like to sincerely thank Sato for his leadership of TMG since 2015 and wish him all the best in his new position.”

Toshio Sato: “I want to thank everyone in the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing team and at TMG for their hard work and dedication during the last three seasons. It has been a pleasure to be part of both organisations and I am proud of the improvement we achieved together after a difficult 2015 season. I am starting a new chapter in my career within the Power Train Company but I will always support TMG and the team. Murata has my full support and I wish him a successful time at TMG.”

Histake Murata Career Highlights
    1987-1993 Toyota Motor Corporation, Motor Sports Division, Race Engine Engineer Le Mans program
    1995-2002 Toyota Motor Corporation, Motor Sports Division, Race Engine Engineer Champ Car program
    2003-2005 Toyota Motor Corporation, Production Engine Engineer
    2006-2007 Toyota Motor Corporation, Motor Sports Division, Tokachi 24hr program
    2006-2014 Toyota Motor Corporation, Racing Hybrid Project General Manager
    2008-2014 Toyota Motor Corporation, Motor Sports Division Le Mans program
    2014-2017 Toyota Motor Corporation, General Manager, Motorsport Unit Development Division
    2017-present Toyota Motorsport GmbH, President

Dragonspeed Lead Oreca 1-2-3 at Le Castellet

Nico Lapierre secured the second pole position of the year for the no21 Dragonspeed Oreca-Gibson with the French driver leading an Oreca 1-2-3 at the French manufacturers home track, with three French drivers at the wheel of each car.

Lapierre posted a 1m52.761 lap on his first flying lap which was never beaten for the rest of the 10-minute qualifying session despite a strong challenge from Leo Roussel in the Dragonspeed run no22 G-Drive Racing Oreca.

At the chequered flag Lapierre was 0.145s ahead of Roussel and 0.290s ahead of Enzo Guibbert in the no39 Graff Oreca-Gibson.

The no27 SMP Racing Dallara of Matevos Isaakyan was fourth fastest, the Russian posting a 1m53.194 lap, three tenths ahead of the first of the Ligiers, the no32 United Autosports JSP217 in the hands of Filipe Albuquerque.

Ross Kaiser took the no6 360 Racing Ligier to the LMP3 pole position at Le Castellet, taking control of the class and then securing pole with a 2m02.186 in the second half of qualifying. Kaiser’s lap was 0.285s ahead of fellow British driver Alex Kapadia in the no15 RLR MSport Ligier and means there have been four different cars on pole position this season.

Kapadia had held the provisional pole early in the session but couldn’t quite make it after Kaiser had posted two very quick laps.

The third car in the mix for the pole position was the no18 M.Racing YMR Ligier of Alexandre Cougnaud, the French driver finishing the session in third place 0.4 seconds behind the pole position holder at the end of the 10 minute session.

Matt Griffin secured the second LMGTE pole position of the season for the no55 Spirit of Race Ferrari F488 after the Irishman put in two quick laps, with the best lap of 2m04.202 good enough to claim pole by 0.37 seconds ahead of Matteo Cairoli’s no77 Proton Competition Porsche 911.

The 4 Hours of Le Castellet is due to begin at 12h00 tomorrow.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/...-hours-948034/

A championship beginning and ending with 24 hour races actually sounds quite exciting. Even if it was just Toyota in LMP1, I'd still watch.

A championship beginning and ending with 24 hour races actually sounds quite exciting. Even if it was just Toyota in LMP1, I'd still watch.
    I'd love that. Shame there's not the big 3 anymore.

Quali for Mexico starts at 23:50 tonight, don't think there is any channel showing it.

Quali for Mexico starts at 23:50 tonight, don't think there is any channel showing it.
    you can watch it on the app if you pay for the race. Couple of quid. But, there is live timing that is free on the website.

Well, im the way other way. I dont like it being the end of the season. Shame Silverstone, has been dropped, but have been informed FIA are seeing the backlash of Silverstone, and said that it will be added again in very near future. So, i be going Spa possibly or Le-Mans.

@458italia, you on Facebook?

I'm not I'm afraid, twitter is the only social media I'm on.

Trying this live timing out for the first time:

https://timing.71wytham.org.uk/s/wec

Stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGy_25Wwc8Q

#71 sitting 3rd atm, #51 7th James struggling a bit.

Ahhh the WEC where the stewards actually do something about track limits

#51 has just had it's times deleted...

#71 Sam Bird 1st

The last corner is very parabolica-esk.

Get in #71 1st in GTE Pro!

#51 in 7th.

AF know how to cheer me up!

Oh look Eduardo decides to start the LMP quail early to avoid the rain. That's how you do it F1....

Oh look Eduardo decides to start the LMP quail early to avoid the rain. That's how you do it F1....
    got love Eduardo and WEC. Well apart from dropping Silverstone. They have always been strong on track limits and consistent aswell.

Get in #71 1st in GTE Pro!

#51 in 7th.

AF know how to cheer me up!
    Spoke to Luca who is lead mechanic on #51, said had some engine issues for #51 so the crew pulled in long hours for complete engine change.

The 488 GTE of Rigon & Bird on pole in the 6 Hours of Mexico

Mexico City, 2 September 2017 – Ferrari is again out alone on top of the Constructors’ rankings thanks entirely to Davide Rigon and Sam Bird whose two phenomenal laps won a surprise second pole position, and the relative point, of the season to add to the one at Spa-Francorchamps. In the 6 Hours of Mexico, which will start Sunday at 12 pm local time (7 pm CET), the 488 GTE no. 71 of AF Corse will start in front of the Aston Martin of Nicki Thiim and Marco Sorensen. Car no. 51 of James Calado and Alessandro Pier Guidi will set off in seventh after an imperfect qualifying, while in the GTE-Am class the two Ferraris will be fourth and fifth with car no. 61 of Clearwater Racing in front of the no. 54 of Spirit of Race.

GTE-Pro. In GTE-Pro class Davide Rigon started the session in no. 71 and James Calado in no. 51. Davide stopped the clock at 1:39:855 on the first pass improving at 1:39:688 on the second. At that point, Sam Bird took the wheel and fully exploited the car’s potential with an excellent 1:39:162, which no one else could match bringing the average time to 1’39”425. In car no. 51, James Calado immediately recorded 1:40:117 and failed to improve after overshooting in the first part of the following lap. The Welsh driver returned to the pits and handed the 488 GTE to Alessandro Pier Guidi who, on his first attempt, also went wide and saw the lap cancelled. He then produced two almost identical times, the best of which was 1:40:001. The combined time of 1:40”059 was enough for seventh place.

GTE-Am. In the GTE-Am class, the Ferrari 488 GTE no. 61 of Clearwater Racing came fourth in 1:43:296 thanks to Weng Sun Mok’s 1:45:348 and Matt Griffin’s 1:41:245. Francesco Castellacci and Thomas Flohr recorded the fifth best time with 1:44:540 for the Italian and 1:44:756 for Flohr. The class pole went to the Porsche of Dienst-Cairoli-Ried in 1:42:056. The Porsche of Hartley-Bernhard-Bamber took overall pole in 1:24:562, a new track record.

Not long to go now.

Is everything looking ok now for AF and #51?

#51 down to 8th

SØRENSEN really fast behind #71 Bird

#71 putting in fastest laps but the gap is pretty constant at 1.2 back to the aston

loving this timing site https://timing.71wytham.org.uk/s/wec

#51 back to 7th thank sto #97's woes