Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 481 to 510 of 514

Thread: 2017 Launch Dates & Livery Speculation

  1. #481
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,860
    Interesting article what Mclaren WANTS Honda to do.................Mclaren wins if Honda quits or stops supplying engines!!!!...for the next 5yrs.

    Why is McLaren so cocky these days? Why is the British firm badmouthing Honda and its under-performing engines so much in the media? According to the contract, even if Honda stops supplying engines, sources close to the team tell us that McLaren will still receive a sizeable sponsorship fee from Honda to keep it in the game. That’s in the contract. And for at least the next five years!

    Looking at the deal from McLaren’s point of view, the best plan of action would be to provoke Honda to quit its engine supplier status. Under F1 regulations, if Honda cancels its F1 engine program, that opens the door for McLaren to accept engines from another supplier. From the British company’s perspective, there can be no better combination than to have Honda as a main sponsor and Mercedes as an engine supplier?

    But for that to happen, Honda has to admit defeat and physically throw in the towel. That’s why McLaren has been baiting the European media with negative comments about its partner. From what I’m hearing, Honda’s senior management have even floated an idea that it may be better to exit stage left now, and incur a monetary loss than continue with an under-performing car, and risk tainting the company’s good name.

    Is there a way to stem Honda’s haemorrhaging of money and brand cache from this alliance? The Japanese firm has to believe that it can do what arch-rivals Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault can do. Honda has to hunker down and put the full weight of the company behind its F1 efforts. It has to dig deep and find a second wind. What is it they say? When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Back in the early 90s, no one was tougher than Honda. No one made better engines. Unlike Toyota who pulled out of F1 in 2009 due to lacklustre performance and falling global sales, and Mitsubishi and Subaru who withdrew from the World Rally Championships in 2005 and 2008 respectively, Honda cannot afford to leave F1 with its tail between its legs. Many of my colleagues and I in Japan believe that giving up would do the company more damage than staying and fighting.



    source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterly.../#1e7da2841e01

  2. #482
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    Apparently for a reason.
    Yes, because of course Honda's pathetic performances since they came back to F1 are solely Simon's fault and no one else...
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

  3. #483
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bulvania
    Posts
    2,661
    You have to start change somewhere.

  4. #484
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,386
    The long road (payback) for McLaren looks to be getting even longer and rougher. Too bad Alonso bought into their hubristic plans and he is now paying the very high price
    at the worst possible and most vulnerable time in his career. Honda can shamefacedly afford the price of failure but Alonso and McLaren cannot yet see the end of their downward spirals.

  5. #485
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,860
    yup. Mclaren are at a crossroads 1.) either buy these lucrative highly expensive and highly complicated PU's(which they get free from Honda plus sponsorship) thereby buying someone else's engine(Manor's engines alottment???) OR 2.) they make their own engines (to which their current road cars engines are made by Ricardo) which they cannot at this current formula in F1 due to their high cost and complexity....MAYBE after 2020 when the formula changes but that is a long way and who knows if Mclaren will still be around by then.

    Honda face more shame back at their home country if they bow out or come up with some excuse to exit F1 RATHER THAN stay in it and find what seems to be a reoccuring problem year after year and also face the humiliation from fans and the media.

    Alonso will still be getting paid his $40 million annual salary but what F1 team will pay that kind of money since all positions are "somewhat" spoken for....the top 3 F1 teams are taken and the only position I see opening is Bottas's position....which he is a No. 2 driver for LH. Every other team behind the top 3 are NOT going to pay what he is currently getting. He may just be stuck where he is at or face a possible early retirement.

  6. #486
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,386
    Mumtalakat and Mansour Ojjeh waited much too long to rid themselves of Ron Dennis and this is what it's cost them. Does anyone here know how McLaren's production car business is faring, not that that has any bearing on their pathetic F1 efforts with Honda? How long can Dennis hang on there,I wonder?

  7. #487
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,256
    If Ron Dennis was the mastermind behind the Honda deal then I have to give him credit (ooooh that hurts) because I don't think it was such a bad deal when looked at from McLaren's perspective prior to the last 2 years. Getting an engine manufacturer to give you an exclusive engine and provide sponsorship and help pay salaries, that can be called a masterstroke.
    Now in hind sight it hasn't worked out, but how many here could have predicted that Honda wouldn't be able to build at least a somewhat competitive engine?
    I bet there wasn't a team in F1 other than the Manufacturers who would not have jumped at the chance to be Honda's partner.

    Now, I definitely can't wait to see how bad it's going to be for them when the season starts and I'll enjoy their misery, but I wouldn't want it to be the cause of McLaren's demise or Honda's for that matter. So I hope they can become somewhat competitive as the season unwinds. We need someone to despise.

  8. #488
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    Mumtalakat and Mansour Ojjeh waited much too long to rid themselves of Ron Dennis and this is what it's cost them. Does anyone here know how McLaren's production car business is faring, not that that has any bearing on their pathetic F1 efforts with Honda? How long can Dennis hang on there,I wonder?
    Their production car line is not bad and rampaning up even more .... they have annual units of less than 5000 units for all models...including the P1. Ron still owns shares of Mclaren and I'm sure in order to get "rid" of him, he (RD) will ask for a premium of his shares and not market value....

  9. #489
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    If Ron Dennis was the mastermind behind the Honda deal then I have to give him credit (ooooh that hurts) because I don't think it was such a bad deal when looked at from McLaren's perspective prior to the last 2 years. Getting an engine manufacturer to give you an exclusive engine and provide sponsorship and help pay salaries, that can be called a masterstroke.
    Now in hind sight it hasn't worked out, but how many here could have predicted that Honda wouldn't be able to build at least a somewhat competitive engine?
    I bet there wasn't a team in F1 other than the Manufacturers who would not have jumped at the chance to be Honda's partner.

    Now, I definitely can't wait to see how bad it's going to be for them when the season starts and I'll enjoy their misery, but I wouldn't want it to be the cause of McLaren's demise or Honda's for that matter. So I hope they can become somewhat competitive as the season unwinds. We need someone to despise.
    Agreed with all this!!!!.....Maybe mid-season they come up with a reliable engine. Maybe Alonso's walking away during the break-down on the track along with media frustrations/tantrums might force them to leave and exit F1 saying " due to internal work environment quotas and expectations and so on and so forth" ; one pointing the finger at the other to save face. It will be quite the drama but I definitely want them to be at least competitive and not end up like Manor.

  10. #490
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,386
    SilentBob and jgon my new problem is since painful in the extreme Dennis is gone I find myself with some sympathy (GULP!) for McLaren?

  11. #491
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,860
    Here are times for Melbourne: Practice, Quali, and GP on NBCSN

    TIMES ARE EASTERN here in the U.S.



    Thursday, Mar 23
    6:00a - Pro Football Talk
    8:00a - The Dan Patrick Show
    11:00a - Curling - Women's USA vs. China
    1:00p - Curling - USA vs. Scotland: Mixed Doubles
    4:30p - NASCAR America
    6:00p - Curling - USA vs. Scotland
    8:00p - 2017 World Women's Curling Championship
    11:00p - Formula One Racing - Australian Grand Prix, Practice
    12:00a - Formula One Racing - Australian Grand Prix, Practice 2

    Friday, Mar 24
    1:30a - Off the Grid - Melbourne
    6:00a - Pro Football Talk
    8:00a - The Dan Patrick Show
    1:30p - Premiership Rugby - Bristol Rugby vs. Gloucester Rugby
    7:30p - NASCAR Racing - K&N Pro West Series: NKNPS West Tucson
    8:30p - Shotgun
    11:30p - Formula One Racing - Australian Grand Prix, Practice

    Saturday, Mar 25
    1:00a - Formula One Racing - Australian Grand Prix, Qualifying
    5:00a - Premier League Behind the Badge: West Bromwich Albion FC
    5:30a - Premier League Behind the Badge: West Bromwich Albion FC
    6:00a - Premier League Match of the Week
    8:00a - Premier League Match of the Week
    9:30a - Horse Racing - Dubai World Cup
    4:00p - Boat Racing - Super Boat International Offshore Racing
    5:00p - Reno Air Race - Gentleman, You Have a Race!
    6:00p - 2017 World Women's Curling Championship
    9:30p - Formula One Racing - Australian Grand Prix, Qualifying
    11:00p - F1 Pre-Race
    11:30p - Formula One Racing - Australian Grand Prix

    Sunday, Mar 26
    2:00a - F1 Extra
    5:00a - Premier League Match of the Week
    7:00a - Premier League Match of the Week
    8:45a - Premiership Rugby - Saracens vs. Bath Rugby
    2:00p - 2017 World Women's Curling Championship
    5:00p - NHL Live
    6:00p - NHL Hockey - Philadelphia Flyers at Pittsburgh Penguins
    8:45p - NHL Overtime
    9:30p - NHL Sunday Shootout: The Week in Review
    10:00p - Sports Jeopardy!
    10:30p - Sports Jeopardy!
    11:00p - Sports Jeopardy!
    11:30p - Sports Jeopardy!
    12:00a - World Series of Fighting 35

  12. #492
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    You have to start change somewhere.
    And it's easy to start with the guy who isn't a full Honda employee
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

  13. #493
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    If Ron Dennis was the mastermind behind the Honda deal then I have to give him credit (ooooh that hurts) because I don't think it was such a bad deal when looked at from McLaren's perspective prior to the last 2 years. Getting an engine manufacturer to give you an exclusive engine and provide sponsorship and help pay salaries, that can be called a masterstroke.
    Now in hind sight it hasn't worked out, but how many here could have predicted that Honda wouldn't be able to build at least a somewhat competitive engine?
    I bet there wasn't a team in F1 other than the Manufacturers who would not have jumped at the chance to be Honda's partner.

    Now, I definitely can't wait to see how bad it's going to be for them when the season starts and I'll enjoy their misery, but I wouldn't want it to be the cause of McLaren's demise or Honda's for that matter. So I hope they can become somewhat competitive as the season unwinds. We need someone to despise.
    Me, for instance. The "McLaren-Honda is BACK!!!" media blitz was a pure nostalgia exercise based on a successfull partnership... that ended more than 20 years ago. On the real world, apart from MotoGP Honda has done nothing in motorsports in the more recent years: they never won the WTCC, even when their only competition came from private teams racing Chevrolet Cruzes, in japanese Superformula they are consistently smashed by Toyota and they haven't won the IndyCar series since they introduced the new V6 engines
    Last edited by Scuderia1967; 19th March 2017 at 10:40.
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

  14. #494
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Their production car line is not bad and rampaning up even more .... they have annual units of less than 5000 units for all models...including the P1. Ron still owns shares of Mclaren and I'm sure in order to get "rid" of him, he (RD) will ask for a premium of his shares and not market value....
    McLaren's road cars are all variations of the same engine/tub pairing. Not the greatest achievement as far as I'm concerned.
    Regarding Ron Dennis, he has the same amount of shares he had before he was sacked: a minority that gives him no voice in the company's affairs now that he doesn't belong to the board
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

  15. #495
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bulvania
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuderia1967 View Post
    And it's easy to start with the guy who isn't a full Honda employee
    Honda hardly would terminate a contract without a reason. Judging by their performance they seem to have had one.

  16. #496
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stowmarket. U.K
    Posts
    16,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuderia1967 View Post
    Me, for instance. The "McLaren-Honda is BACK!!!" media blitz was a pure nostalgia exercise based on a successfull partnership... that ended more than 20 years ago. On the real world, apart from MotoGP Honda has done nothing in motorsports in the more recent years: they never won the WTCC, even when their only competition came from private teams racing Chevrolet Cruzes, in japanese Superformula they are consistently smashed by Toyota and they haven't won the IndyCar series since they introduced the new V6 engines
    Honda do well in Super GT, they done well in the old ALMS series before IMSA, and you may want read this....

    Bourdais Goes Last to First to Win for Honda at St. Petersburg

    · Rebounds from qualifying crash to win 2017 Indy car season opener

    · Dixon charges to third, last-lap pass nets fourth for Hunter-Reay

    · Honda drivers claim four of the top five, seven of top-10 finishing positions


    ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (March 12, 2017) – Sebastien Bourdais and his Dale Coyne Racing team used a fast Honda and perfect race strategy to come from 21st and last on the starting grid to win Sunday’s Verizon IndyCar Series season-opening Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.

    A crash in qualifying on Saturday left Bourdais starting shotgun on the field at the green flag for the 110-lap event, but a series of passes and early caution flags saw him move to 12th after just 10 laps. Another caution on Lap 25 – in the midst of scheduled first-round pit stops – presented him with a huge opportunity, and Bourdais was quick to take advantage, restarting in second and then passing for the lead on Lap 37.

    From there, Bourdais was in control, leading 69 of 110 laps enroute to his 36th career IndyCar victory, moving him to sole possession of 6th on the all-time win’s list.

    In his return to Honda with Chip Ganassi Racing, Scott Dixon started from the outside of the front row and was running second to fellow Honda driver James Hinchcliffe in the opening laps. But both were caught out by not having pitted when the Lap 25 caution came out for debris on the circuit following contact between Tony Kanaan and Mikhail Aleshin. A combination of excellent fuel mileage and passes enabled Dixon to recover to third at the checkers.

    Ryan Hunter-Reay was another comeback story on the day as he was forced to pit on the opening lap for a mechanical issue. Fortunately, his Andretti Autosport team was able to make repairs while keeping Hunter-Reay on the lead lap, and he also benefitted from pitting prior to the Lap 25 caution.

    Hunter-Reay then moved through the field from 10th to pass teammate Takuma Sato for fourth place on the final lap. For his part, Sato led two laps, as Honda drivers led all but 18 laps of the 110-lap event

    Hinchcliffe led 21 laps after starting third for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports and passing for the lead on Lap 6. Having to make his first scheduled stop during the caution dropped him down the order, and he was unable to make significant gains in the second half of the contest. He finished ninth as Honda drivers claimed seven of the top-10 finishing positions today.

    Rookie Ed Jones ably backed up his victorious Dale Coyne Racing teammate by rounding out the top 10 in his IndyCar Series debut.

    The Verizon IndyCar Series next heads out west, to Southern California, for the Grand Prix of Long Beach, to be televised live on the NBC Sports Network at 4 p.m. EDT Sunday, April 9

    Sebastien Bourdais (#18 Dale Coyne Racing Honda) started 21st, finished 1st for his 36th career IndyCar victory: “This was probably the hardest race to recover. It’s really hard to pass. Every time we come here, and it looks like we have a reasonable car. It was looking like a pretty good car and I just threw it away [in qualifying Saturday]. I just really didn’t know what to do with myself. To turn that from [the problems of] yesterday into today, I just don’t know what to say except ‘thank you’ to the guys. [It is very emotional] because it’s the first one [win since joining Dale Coyne Racing and reuniting with many former teammates]. It’s putting the band back together and you don’t know if you’ll have many more days like that.”

    Ryan Hunter-Reay (Andretti Autosport Honda) started 12th, finished 4th: “We definitely earned this one. We [pitted to repair] an engine calibration issue early, but stayed on the lead lap. To finish fourth today was just awesome. This DHL Honda team has done a great job all day. To fight back like that, I had to keep coming spot after spot -- really earning it, then at the end I got fourth from my teammate [Takuma] Sato. We had a lot of fun out there and it’s great to be back into the swing of things. Hopefully, we can get the team back on the podium where we belong, but fourth place is a good start. This whole Andretti Autosport team has done a great job. We had some great pace, showed good promise. I’m looking forward to the next race.”


    Art St. Cyr (President, Honda Performance Development) on today’s race: “What a great way to start the season. I’m extremely pleased with the way all the hard work from everyone at HPD and our partner teams was rewarded today. Not only with the excellent victory from Sebastien Bourdais and his Dale Coyne Racing team, but also with the podium finish for Scott Dixon in Chip Ganassi Racing’s return to Honda, as well as Ryan Hunter-Reay’s charge back to fourth. Indeed, the entire Andretti Autosport organization demonstrated its capability today with all four entries. Not to forget James Hinchcliffe’s command of the opening stint. This was a very encouraging start to the season for Honda. Congratulations to everyone at HPD and our partner teams as we look forward to the rest of 2017.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

  17. #497
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,860
    Also,

    Chevrolet, Honda extend deals with IndyCar Series:

    Chevrolet and Honda have both signed multi-year extensions to supply engines for the Verizon IndyCar Series.

    The announcement was made on Friday prior to the start of opening weekend at St. Petersburg and follows similar commitments made by chassis supplier Dallara and tire provider Firestone. That means IndyCar will have a consistent formula for years to come as series officials put the final touches on a new body kit configuration that will debut in 2018.

    IndyCar president of competition Jay Frye said this was key in implementing his vision of American open-wheel racing.

    "This is a unique moment in the recent history of the Verizon IndyCar Series," Frye said. "To have all of our major manufacturers locked in with us for the foreseeable future points to the fact that they all have bought into the vision for the Verizon IndyCar Series. It’s another sign of the positive momentum we continue to build as we grow this sport into the next decade."

    The 2017 season is very much a transitional one for the series and it has been given the theme of NEXT by series officials. Frye hopes setting a steady foundation of engines will allow additional equipment manufacturers to follow into the sport.

    "We have worked hard to harness the power of the paddock so we are all pulling together, and this is evidence of that," Frye said. "The fact both Honda and Chevrolet are encouraging IndyCar to attract additional OEMs to compete is a sure sign that we are on the same page."

    The upcoming 2018 car was first teased in January during the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The car features a retro appearance but is enhanced with additional safety features.

    Additional downforce will be created from underneath the car and less drag off the back of the car, creating even better on-track competition. More details about the car and its look will be unveiled in coming weeks, with the goal of having it ready to test on track this summer.

    source: http://autoweek.com/article/indycar/...#ixzz4boDkGgKi

  18. #498
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,386
    That goes over well for Honda in the States but alas they are lacking in F1 - the hybrid motors are different beasts entirely. The last naturally aspirated motors they supplied to F1
    were not very successful either as I recall although their illustrious history overall is still very enviable.

  19. #499
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    Honda hardly would terminate a contract without a reason. Judging by their performance they seem to have had one.
    Again: it's ALWAYS easy to put the blame on that ONE guy, particularly when said guy isn't even a company man
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

  20. #500
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Honda do well in Super GT, they done well in the old ALMS series before IMSA, and you may want read this....

    Bourdais Goes Last to First to Win for Honda at St. Petersburg

    · Rebounds from qualifying crash to win 2017 Indy car season opener

    · Dixon charges to third, last-lap pass nets fourth for Hunter-Reay

    · Honda drivers claim four of the top five, seven of top-10 finishing positions


    ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (March 12, 2017) – Sebastien Bourdais and his Dale Coyne Racing team used a fast Honda and perfect race strategy to come from 21st and last on the starting grid to win Sunday’s Verizon IndyCar Series season-opening Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.

    A crash in qualifying on Saturday left Bourdais starting shotgun on the field at the green flag for the 110-lap event, but a series of passes and early caution flags saw him move to 12th after just 10 laps. Another caution on Lap 25 – in the midst of scheduled first-round pit stops – presented him with a huge opportunity, and Bourdais was quick to take advantage, restarting in second and then passing for the lead on Lap 37.

    From there, Bourdais was in control, leading 69 of 110 laps enroute to his 36th career IndyCar victory, moving him to sole possession of 6th on the all-time win’s list.

    In his return to Honda with Chip Ganassi Racing, Scott Dixon started from the outside of the front row and was running second to fellow Honda driver James Hinchcliffe in the opening laps. But both were caught out by not having pitted when the Lap 25 caution came out for debris on the circuit following contact between Tony Kanaan and Mikhail Aleshin. A combination of excellent fuel mileage and passes enabled Dixon to recover to third at the checkers.

    Ryan Hunter-Reay was another comeback story on the day as he was forced to pit on the opening lap for a mechanical issue. Fortunately, his Andretti Autosport team was able to make repairs while keeping Hunter-Reay on the lead lap, and he also benefitted from pitting prior to the Lap 25 caution.

    Hunter-Reay then moved through the field from 10th to pass teammate Takuma Sato for fourth place on the final lap. For his part, Sato led two laps, as Honda drivers led all but 18 laps of the 110-lap event

    Hinchcliffe led 21 laps after starting third for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports and passing for the lead on Lap 6. Having to make his first scheduled stop during the caution dropped him down the order, and he was unable to make significant gains in the second half of the contest. He finished ninth as Honda drivers claimed seven of the top-10 finishing positions today.

    Rookie Ed Jones ably backed up his victorious Dale Coyne Racing teammate by rounding out the top 10 in his IndyCar Series debut.

    The Verizon IndyCar Series next heads out west, to Southern California, for the Grand Prix of Long Beach, to be televised live on the NBC Sports Network at 4 p.m. EDT Sunday, April 9

    Sebastien Bourdais (#18 Dale Coyne Racing Honda) started 21st, finished 1st for his 36th career IndyCar victory: “This was probably the hardest race to recover. It’s really hard to pass. Every time we come here, and it looks like we have a reasonable car. It was looking like a pretty good car and I just threw it away [in qualifying Saturday]. I just really didn’t know what to do with myself. To turn that from [the problems of] yesterday into today, I just don’t know what to say except ‘thank you’ to the guys. [It is very emotional] because it’s the first one [win since joining Dale Coyne Racing and reuniting with many former teammates]. It’s putting the band back together and you don’t know if you’ll have many more days like that.”

    Ryan Hunter-Reay (Andretti Autosport Honda) started 12th, finished 4th: “We definitely earned this one. We [pitted to repair] an engine calibration issue early, but stayed on the lead lap. To finish fourth today was just awesome. This DHL Honda team has done a great job all day. To fight back like that, I had to keep coming spot after spot -- really earning it, then at the end I got fourth from my teammate [Takuma] Sato. We had a lot of fun out there and it’s great to be back into the swing of things. Hopefully, we can get the team back on the podium where we belong, but fourth place is a good start. This whole Andretti Autosport team has done a great job. We had some great pace, showed good promise. I’m looking forward to the next race.”


    Art St. Cyr (President, Honda Performance Development) on today’s race: “What a great way to start the season. I’m extremely pleased with the way all the hard work from everyone at HPD and our partner teams was rewarded today. Not only with the excellent victory from Sebastien Bourdais and his Dale Coyne Racing team, but also with the podium finish for Scott Dixon in Chip Ganassi Racing’s return to Honda, as well as Ryan Hunter-Reay’s charge back to fourth. Indeed, the entire Andretti Autosport organization demonstrated its capability today with all four entries. Not to forget James Hinchcliffe’s command of the opening stint. This was a very encouraging start to the season for Honda. Congratulations to everyone at HPD and our partner teams as we look forward to the rest of 2017.”
    Yes I am aware they did well in THIS season's first Indycar race. How does that contradict what I said?
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

  21. #501
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bulvania
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuderia1967 View Post
    Again: it's ALWAYS easy to put the blame on that ONE guy, particularly when said guy isn't even a company man
    It is more likely that he was sacked because his contribution was not what Honda needed.

  22. #502
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,860
    And once again, Mclaren/Honda is like a bad soap opera as this team does not disappoint: a McCadbury?????

    McLaren-Honda switch to purple livery after Cadbury sponsorship deal

    McLaren-Honda has revealed a new, striking purple livery, which it will run from next weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix.

    The second change to the team’s colours – the MCL32 had returned to McLaren’s traditional orange colours for pre-season testing and last weekend’s season opener in Melbourne – comes after McLaren signed a new sponsorship deal with confectionary giant Cadbury.

    Attachment 7053

    A statement announcing the partnership and livery update explained that Cadbury is hoping to “take advantage of the sport’s global footprint to promote its unique snacks, treats, and products”.

    Speaking about the new deal, McLaren’s executive director, Zak Brown, said: “There have been a few Wispas that we working on a new sponsorship deal, and we’re delighted to now confirm Cadbury as our new title sponsor.”

    “We had been speaking with a few potential sponsors but we called Timeout on those negotiations a while ago. It’s been a Rocky Road for the team since pre-season testing, but we’re confident that this new deal will give the whole team a Boost.”

    “Changing the colour of our cars is an indication of the strength of this new partnership and a real statement of intent from Cadbury as they begin their relationship with the sport of Formula One.”

    Cadbury’s head of confectionary, William Wonka, outlined his company’s reasons for entering F1 as a team sponsor.

    He said: “The collaboration with McLaren-Honda is an important part of our brand-globalisation strategy and will dynamically increase awareness of our chocolate based goodies around the world.

    “We share with Formula 1 – the premier league of motor sport – the passion we show every day in trying to achieve the best possible standards for our recipes of chocolate, enabling us to meet the demanding requirements for quality, health, safety and hygiene and drive the development of new technologies.”

    With the Bahrain Grand Prix falling on Easter weekend for Europe this season, it’s rumoured that a special, one-off Creme Egg livery would make an appearance, being declared a “smashing opportunity” to bring Easter Eggs and Formula 1 together.

    Fernando Alonso, McLaren-Honda race driver:

    “It’s a Dream to have such a large, multinational brand alongside McLaren-Honda. 2017 hasn’t been a Picnic for me, so far, but I’m looking forward to giving the new scheme a Twirl in China. As long as the power unit doesn’t Fudge up, of course.”

    Jonathan Neale, Chief Operating Officer, McLaren Technology Group:

    “Formula 1 has always had innovations like the Double Decker diffuser, F-Duct, and Coanda Exhaust. But with our new partnership with Cadbury, we feel we may have established the best one yet. These can be key in attracting big drivers – the Buttons, Alonsos and Vandoornes of the world – and because of our strategic manoeuvres, we now have a Dream line up. We are always keeping an ear out for Wispas around the sport, and it is no secret that we endured a tricky winter testing programme. But as our partnerships grow, so does our confidence, and all these worries start to Flake away. Stoffel Vandoorne, our race driver for 2017, is very excited over the deal, and feels it could improve the team’s, and by extension his, standing in the sport. Not long after he was Bourne, Ville-neuve entered the sport, and he is aiming to be just as successful as Jacques was. Within a few years, we expect him to be World Chompion.”

    Jenson Button, McLaren Brand Ambassador added:

    “Mmmph grrpmhh, grrpmmph argmmph” *chews loudly*

    source:https://badgergp.com/mclaren-honda-s...nsorship-deal/

  23. #503
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    5,478
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    And once again, Mclaren/Honda is like a bad soap opera as this team does not disappoint: a McCadbury?????

    McLaren-Honda switch to purple livery after Cadbury sponsorship deal

    McLaren-Honda has revealed a new, striking purple livery, which it will run from next weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix.

    The second change to the team’s colours – the MCL32 had returned to McLaren’s traditional orange colours for pre-season testing and last weekend’s season opener in Melbourne – comes after McLaren signed a new sponsorship deal with confectionary giant Cadbury.

    Attachment 7053

    A statement announcing the partnership and livery update explained that Cadbury is hoping to “take advantage of the sport’s global footprint to promote its unique snacks, treats, and products”.

    Speaking about the new deal, McLaren’s executive director, Zak Brown, said: “There have been a few Wispas that we working on a new sponsorship deal, and we’re delighted to now confirm Cadbury as our new title sponsor.”

    “We had been speaking with a few potential sponsors but we called Timeout on those negotiations a while ago. It’s been a Rocky Road for the team since pre-season testing, but we’re confident that this new deal will give the whole team a Boost.”

    “Changing the colour of our cars is an indication of the strength of this new partnership and a real statement of intent from Cadbury as they begin their relationship with the sport of Formula One.”

    Cadbury’s head of confectionary, William Wonka, outlined his company’s reasons for entering F1 as a team sponsor.

    He said: “The collaboration with McLaren-Honda is an important part of our brand-globalisation strategy and will dynamically increase awareness of our chocolate based goodies around the world.

    “We share with Formula 1 – the premier league of motor sport – the passion we show every day in trying to achieve the best possible standards for our recipes of chocolate, enabling us to meet the demanding requirements for quality, health, safety and hygiene and drive the development of new technologies.”

    With the Bahrain Grand Prix falling on Easter weekend for Europe this season, it’s rumoured that a special, one-off Creme Egg livery would make an appearance, being declared a “smashing opportunity” to bring Easter Eggs and Formula 1 together.

    Fernando Alonso, McLaren-Honda race driver:

    “It’s a Dream to have such a large, multinational brand alongside McLaren-Honda. 2017 hasn’t been a Picnic for me, so far, but I’m looking forward to giving the new scheme a Twirl in China. As long as the power unit doesn’t Fudge up, of course.”

    Jonathan Neale, Chief Operating Officer, McLaren Technology Group:

    “Formula 1 has always had innovations like the Double Decker diffuser, F-Duct, and Coanda Exhaust. But with our new partnership with Cadbury, we feel we may have established the best one yet. These can be key in attracting big drivers – the Buttons, Alonsos and Vandoornes of the world – and because of our strategic manoeuvres, we now have a Dream line up. We are always keeping an ear out for Wispas around the sport, and it is no secret that we endured a tricky winter testing programme. But as our partnerships grow, so does our confidence, and all these worries start to Flake away. Stoffel Vandoorne, our race driver for 2017, is very excited over the deal, and feels it could improve the team’s, and by extension his, standing in the sport. Not long after he was Bourne, Ville-neuve entered the sport, and he is aiming to be just as successful as Jacques was. Within a few years, we expect him to be World Chompion.”

    Jenson Button, McLaren Brand Ambassador added:

    “Mmmph grrpmhh, grrpmmph argmmph” *chews loudly*

    source:https://badgergp.com/mclaren-honda-s...nsorship-deal/
    ^this has GOTTA be an April Fool's JOKE, no???
    ...the new SF70H looks amazing. Let's hope it's gonna be as FAST as it looks.


  24. #504
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,860
    McLaren Confirms Split From Honda

    McLaren have finally seen enough, and having secured a replacement they have now announced their split from Honda with immediate effect


    After much speculation and three years of poor performances, McLaren have confirmed that they will be splitting from engine manufacturer Honda.

    “It’s a step that we needed to take.” said Zak Brown, McLaren’s Executive Director. “This is a team that belongs at the front of Formula 1, and Honda simply weren’t going to get us there.”

    It comes as a huge relief to McLaren fans and staff alike following three years that had seen them go backwards down the grid and includes famous outbursts from double World Champion Fernando Alonso, including when he called it a “GP2 engine” during the 2015 Japanese Grand Prix.

    The McLaren-Honda partnership had previously powered the team to glory in the 1980’s when they dominated the sport with Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost. However the decision to return to Honda in 2014 has been a catastrophic failure for the team, and one that has cost Ron Dennis his place atop the team.

    “I’m just glad to be rid of them” said Alonso, who criticised the competitiveness of the car following the Australian Grand Prix.

    The trouble started during winter testing, when McLaren went through seven power units in the course of eight days as the newly designed Honda engine suffered from unexpected vibrations and was literally shaking itself to death after a few laps.

    While they managed to get Stoffel Vandoorne to the finish line in Melbourne he came in dead last, behind the Sauber which was running a 2016 Ferrari engine. Couple that with the awful shuddering sound on gear changes and the decision to pull the trigger on a change, which is expected to take place at the Chinese Grand Prix next weekend.

    Coming to McLaren’s rescue are Czech manufacturer Skoda, who in their press release stated, “Our engine is currently just a mouse running in a wheel, but it’s still faster and more reliable than Honda”

    source:https://realsport101.com/news/sports...lit-from-honda

  25. #505
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Tirana, al
    Posts
    36
    What the hell is this? Now that was becoming interesting... Hamilton quits??? Is it true?

    http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...ercedes_drive/

  26. #506
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,860
    Quote Originally Posted by alfa84 View Post
    What the hell is this? Now that was becoming interesting... Hamilton quits??? Is it true?

    http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...ercedes_drive/
    that seems to an April Fools joke.......I have not seen anything else in the news media confirming this as this would be a "BREAKING NEWS" event.

  27. #507
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Tirana, al
    Posts
    36
    Yeah. It should be so. Gptoday is all full of jokes today.

  28. #508
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,860
    Quote Originally Posted by alfa84 View Post
    Yeah. It should be so. Gptoday is all full of jokes today.
    yep....I think the two I posted of Mclaren with regards to the livery change and them dropping Honda for Skoda are too. There was another one that said the FIA banned all F1 drivers licenses immediately and 'MORE BREAKING NEWS TO FOLLOW".

  29. #509
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    5,478
    Quote Originally Posted by alfa84 View Post
    Yeah. It should be so. Gptoday is all full of jokes today.
    exactly, like Giovannazi replaceing Kimi from Chinese GP.....all April fool's jokes.....lol
    ...the new SF70H looks amazing. Let's hope it's gonna be as FAST as it looks.


  30. #510
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bulvania
    Posts
    2,661
    Jenson Button, McLaren Brand Ambassador added: “Mmmph grrpmhh, grrpmmph argmmph” *chews loudly*

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •