Thread: Silverstone "will" ~(may)drop Grand Prix

Exclamation Silverstone "will" ~(may)drop Grand Prix

Bad news is still flowing out of Silverstone, the embattled current venue of the historic British grand prix.

Recently, the track-owning British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) indicated it could end its F1 race deal, although president Derek Warwick subsequently played down those fears.

But now, a senior BRDC member claims Silverstone "will definitely drop" the British grand prix after 2019 due to unsustainable costs.

"They will definitely drop the grand prix and see what is going to happen over the next two years," F1 business journalist Christian Sylt quoted the source as saying.

"It's a two-year notice period," the BRDC member is quoted by The Sun newspaper. "There is no question about it because it is not affordable."
    http://www.onestopstrategy.com/artic...+-+source.html

Things been stirring few couple weeks now, this doesnt look good.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

All they're doing is playing Bernie at his own game.

till 2019???? Hopefully Derek and Liberty can come to some type of compromise between now and then.

As Liberty takes over F1 and eases Bernie out, it appears F1 will be a USA major racing sport with 4 races. Liberty says at least 20 to 25 races a year! They also say South America, along with Brasil will have more tracks! I guess it's the old saying, "Out with the old, in with the new! " venue wise. USA race fans already know and love Ferrari. For sure the countries #1 team to win F1 !!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    As Liberty takes over F1 and eases Bernie out, it appears F1 will be a USA major racing sport with 4 races. Liberty says at least 20 to 25 races a year! They also say South America, along with Brasil will have more tracks! I guess it's the old saying, "Out with the old, in with the new! " venue wise. USA race fans already know and love Ferrari. For sure the countries #1 team to win F1 !!
    F1 can't do without a British GP...
    F1 needs a stable German GP as well.
    I'm all up for new tracks in Northern and Southern America but F1 must not neglect European countries where the sport's heart is.
    I'm pretty hyped to see what this American company can make out of the sport though.
    Last edited by Stormy; 19th January 2017 at 21:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    F1 can't do without a British GP...
    F1 needs a stable German GP as well.
    I'm all up for new tracks in Northern and Southern America but F1 must not neglect European countries where the sport's heart is.
    I'm pretty hyped to see what this American company can make out of the sport though.
    I agree with you for sure. The neglect with regards to european countries hosting F1 is really taking it's toll. Liberty is taking over a damaged sport. As far as holding F1 at the traditional tracks, I believe Liberty is very much dedicated to do just that. Remember, they are hoping for up to 25 races a season! If Ferrari gets back on top WCC, WDC, the good times will roll again for F1!

Silverstone chiefs insist no British GP decision made yet

British Grand Prix chiefs insist that no decision will be made about the future of the Formula 1 race at Silverstone until this summer.

Recent reports in the media suggested that Silverstone’s owners, the British Racing Drivers’ Club (BRDC), had already made a call that it no longer wished to continue with the race beyond 2019.

It was suggested it would activate a break clause it has in its contract that allows it to end its deal prior to the 2020 race, in the hope of renegotiating the terms of its agreement.

However, in a statement issued on Friday night, the BRDC made it clear that it was still evaluating its best course of action – and suggested nothing would happen until the eve of next year’s race.

Under the terms of its British GP contract, Silverstone must notify F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone before this year’s event if it wants to cancel its contract.

John Grant, the chairman of the BRDC, said: “Our objective is to preserve the British Grand Prix at Silverstone for many years to come but, of course, we can only do this if it makes economic sense.

“As I have said before, we will be considering over the next six months if we should give notice of our intention to exercise the break clause in our Grand Prix contract at the end of 2019. No decision has been made, or will be made, until mid July.

“In the meantime, we will be using this period to explore with all interested parties, hopefully in private, various ways in which we might work out a more sustainable proposition."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/si...de-yet-867290/
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I dont live in England but how on earth can they not afford it? Its a track that runs all year, race is during the day and still brings in alot of fans.
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk257 View Post
    I dont live in England but how on earth can they not afford it? Its a track that runs all year, race is during the day and still brings in alot of fans.
    Indy Speedway holds so many events all year, holds over 200,000 people . I went to all 7 F1 races. Ferrari at it's best! Even Rubens was allowed to win one! Anyway, Bernie wanted too much $$. The Gerorge family ownes and operates the speedway. They can well afford to hold F1 races. They sent Bernie & Co. on their way for trying to overcharge the event. I can only hope Liberty does the right thing worldwide and puts F1 back on top as " The" greatest motorsport!.

Anyway, Bernie wanted too much $$

Bernie, at the time, is always trying to "bleed" these track venues dry of $$$$$.....Malaysia, Korea, and so on and now looks like Silverstone. Thats been on of the main problems at these track venues is the "exorbitant" or "extortionist" fees. Liberty probably will turns things around with Ross Brawn at the helm with regards to lowering these high high track fee's. Note: He(Bernie) has or was in a suit several years ago and maybe these fees were to pay off and recoup the monies lost in the suit.....I know we're in it, and Liberty for that matter, to make money but sometimes you wonder how much is enough? I can see Liberty's "Livestream" bringing in more money though....

"Anyway, Bernie wanted too much $$ " (Brembo)

Bernie, at the time, is always trying to "bleed" these track venues dry of $$$$$.....Malaysia, Korea, and so on and now looks like Silverstone. Thats been one of the main problems at these track venues is the "exorbitant" or "extortionist" fees. Liberty probably will turns things around with Ross Brawn at the helm with regards to lowering these high high track fee's. Note: He(Bernie) has or was in a suit several years ago and maybe these fees were to pay off and recoup the monies lost in the suit.....I know we're in it, and Liberty for that matter, to make money but sometimes you wonder how much is enough? I can see Liberty's "Livestream" bringing in more money though....

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    II can only hope Liberty does the right thing worldwide and puts F1 back on top as " The" greatest motorsport!.
    It's still the pinnacle of motorsport, at least profit-wise and technology-wise. As for racing, MotoGP is the king.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    It's still the pinnacle of motorsport, at least profit-wise and technology-wise. As for racing, MotoGP is the king.
    +1

I get it.........so use some/most/all of the principals, from a racing aspect, from MotoGP and apply those principals in F1?.....thats a good analogy!!! Liberty just might do that as it sees the current structure under the old "regime" is wrought with "Bernie-esque" decision making.

British Grand Prix staying on the calendar, says new F1 boss Chase Carey:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38730606

FerrariSteve Guest
    Shame.. I had hoped we'd lose that dull and boring track once and for all :(

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    Shame.. I had hoped we'd lose that dull and boring track once and for all :(
    Where then? Donington Park? Brands Hatch?.........London maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Where then? Donington Park? Brands Hatch?.........London maybe?
    Silverstone, dull? Maybe not the best circuit in the world, but it has a good selection of corners. More importantly, it has the fanbase, and the atmosphere (even if it's riddled with clueless Hamilton supporters!).

Nowhere else in the UK would host the BritishGP. No other track is as suitable, nor would as many people attend it.

The BGP was never going to get dropped. Bernie was played, and will lose (for once). The owners knew Liberty were taking over and will end up paying a lower hosting fee because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Silverstone, dull? Maybe not the best circuit in the world, but it has a good selection of corners. More importantly, it has the fanbase, and the atmosphere (even if it's riddled with clueless Hamilton supporters!).

Nowhere else in the UK would host the BritishGP. No other track is as suitable, nor would as many people attend it.

The BGP was never going to get dropped. Bernie was played, and will lose (for once). The owners knew Liberty were taking over and will end up paying a lower hosting fee because of it.
    +1 Doninton Park was burned by F1 financially in its past and is now in the hands of the Wheatcrofts. Brands Hatch is outdated and to get it up to FIA standards would be a huge monumental feat dollar-wise plus the location I believe from a fan base perspective......is well....small. London would be a security risk and logistical nightmare IMO. Plus most if not all F1 drivers love the Maggots, Becketts, Castle curves......the track is a staple-mate in the GP circuit. Plus, from a personal basis, I love the history of the WWII airport and aircraft back in the day.