Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Winter Testing 27th Feb - 2nd March 2017, Barcelona

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrasher View Post
    Criticism unjustified? What are you talking about? Since Sky started covering F1 Ferrari haven't won anything. So I think, like everyone else, the have the right to call it as they see it. And if they think Ferrari is underachieving? Well,X guess what, so do Ferrari themselves.
    I was referring to members on here criticising Sky's coverage, claiming that it's biased, etc. I said I enjoy Sky. So... what are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by djmorin27 View Post
    Hey mardyrt you drinking coolaid u realize Seb was on med and hard tires all day and the heads were on softs big difference my friend.don't compare unless there on the same tire
    There is not a huge difference between mediums and softs, if it is super softs and hards, it can explain 75%, but not 100%.
    Lifting off and being on part throttle is a big difference, especially in a chicane, while steering is turned. They have a different system, thats why they can be on power sooner, not because of 1 shade softer rubber compound.
    I am a mechanical engineer, I worked on the few racing car projects including aerodynamics, so not drinking coolaid, just analyzing.
    Getting on the throttle helps them to turn the car towards where the steering wheel is turned, there is a torque vectoring system included with their hybrid system, thats why so early on power. Even in Monaco last year I saw it, they get on the power so early.

FerrariSteve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    here's one for ya....where is he going to go? being that it is his last season. Personally he still has the "fight" within him.
    I'm willing to bet he's heading to Mercedes next season, Bottas only has a 1 year contract and I'd bet all the tea in china that Hammy will blow him away big time and he'll scuttle off back to the midfield.
    Last edited by FerrariSteve; 27th February 2017 at 23:49. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    I'm willing to bet he's heading to Mercedes next season, Bottas only has a 1 year contract and I'd bet all the tea in china that Hammy will blow him away big time and he'll scuttle off back to the midfield.
    So if your Mercedes....who would you pick/approach? Alonso or Vettel? given WDC's and age.........Note: I agree with the Bottas situation.

So if your Mercedes....who would you pick/approach? Alonso or Vettel? given WDC's and age.........Note: I agree with the Bottas situation.
    all I am saying is you can't have two number ones on a team ex. (Lewis/Alonso or Lewis/Vettel)...it does not work. Bottas fits the bill as a backup/secondary driver for Lewis for now. Every team has a secondary driver....our past has seen many an incidents when 2 no. 1's are on the same team. Now if something happens to Lewis(god forbid nothing tragic), then the flood gates open for Vettel/Alonso. Which brings me back to my point, Alonso is getting paid good money with Mclaren and honestly, I don't think he has an option of going anywhere else where he gets paid the same amount of money let alone a winning car. Maybe McLaren should go back to Mercedes for its PU and say things have changed since Ron is no longer around for 2018.....then Alonso has a fighting chance with McLaren...cuz its not the chassis which for right now they(Mclaren) are blaming the Honda PU.

all I am saying is you can't have two number ones on a team ex. (Lewis/Alonso or Lewis/Vettel)...it does not work. Bottas fits the bill as a backup/secondary driver for Lewis for now. Every team has a secondary driver....our past has seen many an incidents when 2 no. 1's are on the same team. Now if something happens to Lewis(god forbid nothing tragic), then the flood gates open for Vettel/Alonso. Which brings me back to my point, Alonso is getting paid good money with Mclaren and honestly, I don't think he has an option of going anywhere else where he gets paid the same amount of money let alone a winning car. Maybe McLaren should go back to Mercedes for its PU and say things have changed since Ron is no longer around for 2018.....then Alonso has a fighting chance with McLaren...cuz its not the chassis which for right now they(Mclaren) are blaming the Honda PU.
    Maybe Mercedes doesn't want to give McLaren their engine, just like they didn't want to give Red Bull an engine.

Being cautious here, but it has to be some kind of positive that the Ferrari is competitive on the medium compounds for what would be the first time since Adam was born. The harder tyres, along with the coolish weather, would normally have seen the Ferrari languishing in the middle pack, having nervous entries and twitchy exits and just plain old lack of grip through the insignificant heat build-up in the tyres. Ferrari would have regrouped and focused hard on its shortcomings heading into this season, and would have single-handedly highlighted getting temperature into the tyres as first priority. The Mercs, on the other hand, would not only get the tyres up to temp quick, but they were also kind enough to not destroy the tyres to the point of sometimes having longer stints than the opposition. Not sure if it's simply a matter of having superior downforce or a combination of that and great suspension geometry and superior damping systems. Whatever it is, I would hazard a guess that Ferrari have focused on getting the harder tyre to work under the cooler conditions.

My other query is this: what fuel levels would be the appropriate for the majority for testing? My guess would be to concentrate on levels inside of 3/4s and 1/4 full - if they can get the car working well within that window, then it should also be reasonable when both full and empty. Of course, they will also need to do full tank runs to ensure the brakes, suspension arms, etc don't fail under the heavier loads, along with ensuring no dangerous bottoming-out occurs as well.

Have gone into this season fearing the worst for Ferrari to avoid disappointment, and actually hated the 2017 Ferrari on first impressions from the stupid shark fin, to the ugly thumb nose, to the extremely different sidepods, which remind me of the 1992 and 1996 disasters. So, I'm ready to accept whatever outcome there is, even if I have not accepted the appearance of our new fighter. Hoping for good things to come :)

Finally - I will be there at Albert Park on the Friday for opening practice, as it's only about 45 minutes away from where I live. Lucky or what!

23 FEBRUARY 2016 - WINTER TESTING - DAY 2
    DRIVER TEAM TIME DIFFERENCE #

1. DE Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1:22.810 #126
    2. AU Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 1:23.525 +0.715 #112
    3. MX Sergio Perez Force India 1:23.650 +0.840 #101
    4. DE Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:24.867 +2.057 #172
    5. SE Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1:25.237 +2.427 #108
    6. MX Esteban Gutierrez Haas F1 1:25.524 +2.714 #79
    7. FI Valtteri Bottas Williams 1:25.648 +2.838 #134
    8. DE Pascal Wehrlein Manor F1 1:25.925 +3.115 #71
    9. ES Fernando Alonso McLaren 1:26.082 +3.272 #119
    10. GB Jolyon Palmer Renault 1:26.189 +3.379 #42
    11. NL Max Verstappen Toro Rosso 1:26.539 +3.729 #121

So this is what we're up against - note vettel did 126 laps last year. I trust Kimi will do more today
    Drive it like you stole it!

Quote Originally Posted by From Treviso View Post
    Being cautious here, but it has to be some kind of positive that the Ferrari is competitive on the medium compounds for what would be the first time since Adam was born. The harder tyres, along with the coolish weather, would normally have seen the Ferrari languishing in the middle pack, having nervous entries and twitchy exits and just plain old lack of grip through the insignificant heat build-up in the tyres. Ferrari would have regrouped and focused hard on its shortcomings heading into this season, and would have single-handedly highlighted getting temperature into the tyres as first priority. The Mercs, on the other hand, would not only get the tyres up to temp quick, but they were also kind enough to not destroy the tyres to the point of sometimes having longer stints than the opposition. Not sure if it's simply a matter of having superior downforce or a combination of that and great suspension geometry and superior damping systems. Whatever it is, I would hazard a guess that Ferrari have focused on getting the harder tyre to work under the cooler conditions.

My other query is this: what fuel levels would be the appropriate for the majority for testing? My guess would be to concentrate on levels inside of 3/4s and 1/4 full - if they can get the car working well within that window, then it should also be reasonable when both full and empty. Of course, they will also need to do full tank runs to ensure the brakes, suspension arms, etc don't fail under the heavier loads, along with ensuring no dangerous bottoming-out occurs as well.

Have gone into this season fearing the worst for Ferrari to avoid disappointment, and actually hated the 2017 Ferrari on first impressions from the stupid shark fin, to the ugly thumb nose, to the extremely different sidepods, which remind me of the 1992 and 1996 disasters. So, I'm ready to accept whatever outcome there is, even if I have not accepted the appearance of our new fighter. Hoping for good things to come :)

Finally - I will be there at Albert Park on the Friday for opening practice, as it's only about 45 minutes away from where I live. Lucky or what!
    I agree, but with caution. The times so far aren't close to what was expected - so we don't really know if Ferrari is competitive on mediums or not. They may be pushing while others aren't. We may be pushing less than others or more than others... our fuel loads may be different. Just because we're second doesn't mean we have pace. This is yet to be seen.

But again I agree, it is promising so far. We just need to keep getting faster and faster with the others - and stay reliable! I'm quietly hoping Ferrari stick to medium tyres throughout most of the test so we can accurately compare from day to day, particularly if there are any mechanical or aerodynamic changes. This, to me, seems logical... But its not what we did last year so who knows.

Felipe Massa was impressed with Ferrari and Mercedes after the opening day of testing as they were “straight away competitive” in Spain

“I think they are quite strong – Ferrari and Mercedes,” said the Brazilian.

“It’s just the first day, but what I can say is that [both teams] were straight away competitive, straight away putting some good lap times.

“And when a car is competitive straight away, it means something for the championship…”

He added: “Ferrari did a very good lap time on the medium tyres. Their car looks nice.

“Mercedes also looks very nice. Red Bull had a problem today… many cars had problems today.”

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    He will be back at Williams
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Guys, what's the link for sky sport f1 live feed coverage for day 2

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Maybe Mercedes doesn't want to give McLaren their engine, just like they didn't want to give Red Bull an engine.
    They(MB) did'nt want to give RB and engine due to RB being a threat to MB during that time when RB were having issues(2014 & 2015) with the Renault PU AND just came off winning 4 WCC in a row; can't blame MB for not "helping them out" in 2015 after an abysmal 2014 with Renault. Mclaren wanted a works supplier engine that supported them during Ron Dennis and Mercedes was not giving it to them so they went with Honda knowing it was behind in this new PU; Mclaren is not really a threat when you compare RB and Mclaren. IF Honda cannot get their engine working properly this year, they Mclaren, might just have to suck it up and go back to the MB PU.

Quote Originally Posted by Cemz85 View Post
    Guys, what's the link for sky sport f1 live feed coverage for day 2
    http://www.skysports.com/f1/live-blo...-one-8211-live

Seems to be that link is day 1 recap

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
    yup my bad.....posted a new thread

Thanks mate

Not sure a 100% if it will happen, but it is supposed to stream on track action thoughtout the day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHS_zF3NqUs

It did stream Ted's notebook etc. so I'd say it might just be true.

I guess we will start the 2nd day testing here since there is a thread already

02:43

Forty minutes into the session and we have our first red flag - for the Williams of Lance Stroll, who appears to have spun on the circuit.

The Canadian rookie has just gone fastest too!

day 2 testing and it seems RB, MB and Ferrari are using "aero rakes" for airflow sensoring.

guys..whats happenig at ferrarri garage...why kimi not out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by f412 View Post
    he was out....and right now they are just doing aero rake testing...

There you go.....

Räikkönen Ferrari SF70-H 1:24.867 +0.841 7 ●

Ferrari ran earlier with sensors to measure air flow behind the new front tyres. Takes a while to strap the kit on and take it off again.

And now this from Kimi!!.....you go boooi!!

1. Räikkönen Ferrari SF70-H 1:23.718 9 ●

Quote Originally Posted by Super M View Post
    There you go.....

Räikkönen Ferrari SF70-H 1:24.867 +0.841 7 ●
    hopefully he just stays on the track and stays consistent and racks up laps...more than Vettel

Back to normal: SF70-H: P1
    And yes, on mediums

kimi 9 laps in