Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 1st Winter Testing 27th Feb - 2nd March 2017, Barcelona

HAAS doing some good mileage today which is good for our data collection.

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    HAAS doing some good mileage today which is good for our data collection.
    yep, impressed by them when compared to the likes of Mclaren and for just being in the sport going on its second year.

Just 7 short of 100.

Like this GA fellow said, McLaren are hiding behind Honda's underperformance, but they serious problems in the other department too. Cant see them returning to wins in the next 5 years

I don't want to get my hopes up but we haven't looked this good in pre-season in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Like this GA fellow said, McLaren are hiding behind Honda's underperformance, but they serious problems in the other department too. Cant see them returning to wins in the next 5 years
    Good point on the bold part. Playing the blame game. So if they had a MB or Renault PU, then who else would they have to blame??? I think there is more to "JUST THE HONDA PU." Alonso needs to get that lawn chair ready again and take it with him throughout the GP races.

I see them(Mac) dropping Honda or Honda leaving by the end of the year as we should here something mid year about one of them making a drastic change in PU. The glory days of Prost/Senna are over. 5 years is kinda a ways out but it looks like so far that they are going to drop in the back of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Sky Sports understands Mercedes have been running their 2017 engine in conservative power modes to be sure of complete reliability.

It’s not known if Mercedes have suffered engine component failures on their factory-based test dynos but a team source confirmed that failures are a desirable occurrence – the point about running engines on test beds is so that it happens close to home, where quick and accessible fixes can be applied, rather than on the track

Mercedes will introduce an upgraded engine for the season-opening Australian GP on March 26, meaning that while Bottas and Hamilton’s lap times in the W08 are already impressive, there is likely to be even more performance gains to come from the world champions –if the engine is reliable.

This sounds like wishful thinking to me, more psych than anything else. Part of the head games played in F1 but highly unlikely.
    President, Scuderia Ferrari Club of Denver - The Official Passion
    http://www.scuderiaferrari.club
    denver@scuderiaferrari.club

Good point on the bold part. Playing the blame game. So if they had a MB or Renault PU, then who else would they have to blame??? I think there is more to "JUST THE HONDA PU." Alonso needs to get that lawn chair ready again and take it with him throughout the GP races.

I see them(Mac) dropping Honda or Honda leaving by the end of the year as we should here something mid year about one of them making a drastic change in PU. The glory days of Prost/Senna are over. 5 years is kinda a ways out but it looks like so far that they are going to drop in the back of the pack.
    And go where? McLaren is cornered: the partnership with Honda is a failure, but they won't stand a chance with a customer engine either
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

Quote Originally Posted by GrndLkNatv View Post
    This sounds like wishful thinking to me, more psych than anything else. Part of the head games played in F1 but highly unlikely.
    Be that as it may, we, or at least myself, have always known that MB has "extra power" when they need it given there past performance since the intro of the V-6T-Hybrid(some say they had a way early start prior to 2014); and if last year was any indication that they can tap into it (Lewis coming from the back of the pack 2X to clinch a podium finish), then...well...I'll just leave it at that for now....till Melbourne and a couple of GP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuderia1967 View Post
    And go where? McLaren is cornered: the partnership with Honda is a failure, but they won't stand a chance with a customer engine either

yup, they could be cornered. They might have to suck it up and go back to MB.

I'm by no means an engineer or a prophet, but even though I never predicted McLaren would be in such dire straits, I never believed the partnership with Honda would work: the glory days of Prost and Senna were more than 20 years ago, and what has Honda achieved in motorsports in the last years? They were beaten by Chevrolet and Citroen in WTCC, they haven't won the Indycar series since 2013. Not much of a CV, and McLaren themselves aren't that great either

yup, they could be cornered. They might have to suck it up and go back to MB.
    Yes they could, or Renault for that matter, but you can't win championships with customer engines, you need full suport from a engine manufacturer, a la Red Bull

I'm by no means an engineer or a prophet, but even though I never predicted McLaren would be in such dire straits, I never believed the partnership with Honda would work: the glory days of Prost and Senna were more than 20 years ago, and what has Honda achieved in motorsports in the last years? They were beaten by Chevrolet and Citroen in WTCC, they haven't won the Indycar series since 2013. Not much of a CV, and McLaren themselves aren't that great either
    +1.....dismall for the Mac boys

Yes they could, or Renault for that matter, but you can't win championships with customer engines, you need full suport from a engine manufacturer, a la Red Bull
    I think Ron's leaving was an insight as to what he saw and knows in the Mac F1 team and with Honda.

We are all going to witness PROBABLY the worst performance in Mclaren F1 history....probably dropping to the back with the likes of Manor, Caterham, HRT, Marussia (when they were around). Just sad for Alonso but hey, getting paid $40 million to just drive the car and then it breaks down.....not bad from a monetary perspective.

I think Ron's leaving was an insight as to what he saw and knows in the Mac F1 team and with Honda.
    No, he was ousted. Mansour Ojjeh was sick and tired of him

True, I should have said his ousting, but there is more within Mac and Honda than just Ron Dennis.

True, I should have said his ousting, but there is more within Mac and Honda than just Ron Dennis.
    Of course. People tend to forget, or plain right don't know, that Ron was "just" McLaren's CEO, not the company's owner.
    And in this day and age, when you don't show results you get fired... as he already had been after the Stepneygate, let's not forget that!

Is that true say Helmut Marko? "Ferrari have very low oil in tank, Vettel start to breaking in front of turn? we far from turn.

I would not go writing off McLaren this year. Yes they have prob no chance of winning the title but they might have a chnace of been 2, 3, or 4th best. I remember in 2014 testing RedBull had a dismall time with reliability and speed but come Australia they were second best. Not sayin McLaren will be second best come Australia but they might be closer to the front than the back that many are predicting..

I am loving how Ferrari are always near top of the time sheets even on the slower tyre. I know there are a lot of variables but it still bods well. FORZA FERRARI
    "That has made me fall in love with Ferrari even more today than ever." Fernando Alonso

just a little nitpick, but "CLARO" is still listed in the Scuderia page as a sponsor under the PARTNER heading on its main webpage.

I think Philip Morris ends 2018 I believe per their agreement with Ferrari.

He WAS very much so resoundingly MUSCLED OUT, even old friend M.Ojjeh could no longer bear him.
    Kinda feel sorry though for J.Capito's non-start as I'm sure he could enjoy some success in F1 (NOT McLaren:)
    as he did a bang-up job for VW in WRC year after year.

just a little nitpick, but "CLARO" is still listed in the Scuderia page as a sponsor under the PARTNER heading on its main webpage.
    I saw that, too. Just a typo, as you can see in the launch photos Claro isn't listed as a partner.
    The teamwear and the drivers overalls don't have their logo, nor the one of their sister company, Telcel

http://www.motorpress.com.br/racingo...h2_940x532.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Man View Post
    I would not go writing off McLaren this year. Yes they have prob no chance of winning the title but they might have a chnace of been 2, 3, or 4th best. I remember in 2014 testing RedBull had a dismall time with reliability and speed but come Australia they were second best. Not sayin McLaren will be second best come Australia but they might be closer to the front than the back that many are predicting..

I am loving how Ferrari are always near top of the time sheets even on the slower tyre. I know there are a lot of variables but it still bods well. FORZA FERRARI
    The comparison between the Renault engine during the 2014 year and the Honda engine currently are two separate situations...the HONDA guys look like amateurs right now....AN OIL LEAK???? really???; and its the same engine for the past 3 years. Renault stumbled the first year but got back up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    He WAS very much so resoundingly MUSCLED OUT, even old friend M.Ojjeh could no longer bear him.
    Kinda feel sorry though for J.Capito's non-start as I'm sure he could enjoy some success in F1 (NOT McLaren:)
    as he did a bang-up job for VW in WRC year after year.
    Ojjeh and Ron stopped being friends ages ago, believe me. As for Capito, I never understood why they hired him in the first place: McLaren doesn't need another Guy In Charge, they have plenty of those already...

Check out this vid of how this Renault 2017 F1 engine sounds on track testing day....Now this probably the best "SOUNDING" V6T-HYBRID. unless there are others out there I have not heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTj2fJ1Q7J8

I saw that, too. Just a typo, as you can see in the launch photos Claro isn't listed as a partner.
    The teamwear and the drivers overalls don't have their logo, nor the one of their sister company, Telcel

http://www.motorpress.com.br/racingo...h2_940x532.jpg
    We lost TNT, the brazilian energy drink that remained with us even after Felipe left, too. Ray Ban's logos are bigger this year, which probably means more money from them

We lost TNT, the brazilian energy drink that remained with us even after Felipe left, too. Ray Ban's logos are bigger this year, which probably means more money from them
    uhhhhhhhh.....TNT is listed as a partner/sponsor as well.

uhhhhhhhh.....TNT is listed as a partner/sponsor as well.
    Mamma mia, Guido has forgotten to update the site!

Sky Sports understands Mercedes have been running their 2017 engine in conservative power modes to be sure of complete reliability.

It’s not known if Mercedes have suffered engine component failures on their factory-based test dynos but a team source confirmed that failures are a desirable occurrence – the point about running engines on test beds is so that it happens close to home, where quick and accessible fixes can be applied, rather than on the track

Mercedes will introduce an upgraded engine for the season-opening Australian GP on March 26, meaning that while Bottas and Hamilton’s lap times in the W08 are already impressive, there is likely to be even more performance gains to come from the world champions –if the engine is reliable.

What matter to me are the lap times from Ferrari on the yellow stripe tyres which was below 1.20.00, even if people are saying Ferrari was light on fuel which I doubt. They have forgotten that the rubbish token system is no more in place so we can develop our engines also. I am sure we are also not running our engine at full capacity. Next week Ferrari will show some of their hands running the softer tyre - I love the way Ferrari refused to follow Merc bait and run softer tyres.