Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 1st Winter Testing 27th Feb - 2nd March 2017, Barcelona

Quote Originally Posted by mandzipop View Post
    The cars are harder to drive. I'd be shocked if anyone risks a single driver to do much more than 2 race distances in a day. That is why Merc have split the duties the way they have.
    yup......have 1 driver do 80 laps and the next driver do 80 laps......sounds straight to me from a data collection(2 cars), driver fatigue perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrasher View Post
    No
    11:12 Lewis Hamilton’s last run. OUT; 1m21.7s; 1m28.2s; 1m23.1s; 1m23.5s; 1m23.0s; 1m26.2s; 1m23.5s; 1m23.2s; 1m24.5s; 1m24
    My bad, I should have said hot lap, cold lap, warm lap, cooler lap, warmer lap, cooler lap, warmer lap, warmer lap, cooler lap, warmer lap The question was, was he pushing for all 14 laps.

any link guys? to watch testing?
    Silently, like a shadow

I've just spent a bit of time standing by the pitlane exit where the drivers do their practice starts and you can get a good look at the cars. Of the top three teams, the Red Bull is the most basic car. There's nothing trick on there and it's all smooth surfaces so I expect there will be parts to come there. If I was writing a development list for the big teams, I would say Mercedes needs to concentrate on the bargeboard area, as although it has a sophisticated arrangement it hasn't fully exploited what is possible. For Ferrari, the focus would be on the diffuser. For Red Bull, it would be both areas.

Gary Anderson
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Latest from Honda on today's problems: "We lost power to the power unit. At the moment we don't know what has caused the issue. We are currently changing the power unit in order to investigate fully and identify the cause. We will update you when we have further information."

Lawrence Barretto
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Force Indias engine gone.

you can see the Force India engine go here if you rewind a bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHS_zF3NqUs
    a nice mechanical clunk of death for a Merc engine :D

Quote Originally Posted by LivingHitokiri View Post
    Force Indias engine gone.
    Just need it to go on the Merc now

The cars are harder to drive. I'd be shocked if anyone risks a single driver to do much more than 2 race distances in a day. That is why Merc have split the duties the way they have.
    Speaking of Mercedes there's seems to be some big difference in breaking between them and everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by LivingHitokiri View Post
    Speaking of Mercedes there's seems to be some big difference in breaking between them and everyone else.
    Their directional change is amazing. I'm guessing that is allowing them to carry significantly more speed, brake later and get back on the throttle earlier.
    Forever Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Just need it to go on the Merc now
    I do not think its engine, I think its the gearbox, but I might be wrong.

Their directional change is amazing. I'm guessing that is allowing them to carry significantly more speed, brake later and get back on the throttle earlier.
    I was noticing the same thing. Like I said before, I think they have a Torque vectoring system with their hybrid braking system.
    They use that to steer the car and also helps to brake the car into a corner. Then, on corner exit, you can get on the power early, as the torque vectoring system will adjust the power delivery to the left and right wheels depending on the steering angle. Its easy to make, but takes some time to calibrate and adjust it. I dont think we have that.

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    I was noticing the same thing. Like I said before, I think they have a Torque vectoring system with their hybrid braking system.
    They use that to steer the car and also helps to brake the car into a corner. Then, on corner exit, you can get on the power early, as the torque vectoring system will adjust the power delivery to the left and right wheels depending on the steering angle. Its easy to make, but takes some time to calibrate and adjust it. I dont think we have that.
    Is that a real thing? Sounds like something a jet fighter has

Williams (Stroll) is out for the day due to the spin in the gravel......

Also, I have noticed how Mercedes have a slight gliding drift in the corners, its like right at the edge of grip, but they can easily repeat it over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post
    Alfa Romeo Guilia has it. So SF70-H has it :)

No, Merc do not have such a system on the car. It is all about how the suspension is setup. How it makes the car roll into and out of the corner.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Its their advanced FRIC suspension system....it aids in the corners, apex and exit; all of which helps in braking late, taking the corner at higher speeds(plus wider tyres), and exit harder on the throttle.

and for your information, not everyone on the grid has this system.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 28th February 2017 at 12:20.

BREAKING: Marchionne "giant step forward from 2016, but it might not be enough for winning the championship" #skymotori
    #PrayforMH370 #KeepFightingSchumi

Kimi has flu.
    Forever Ferrari

Kimi has flu.
    Is he unwell?

Is he unwell?
    Apparently so. I wouldn't expect the same amount of laps from him as Seb did yesterday if that is the case. It's obviously not proper flu as he'd be in bed. Probably manflu instead.
    Forever Ferrari

This should be interesting.....Kimi on soft tyre run
    Drive it like you stole it!

Apparently so. I wouldn't expect the same amount of laps from him as Seb did yesterday if that is the case. It's obviously not proper flu as he'd be in bed. Probably manflu instead.
    if its true...its probably food poisoning from yesterdays fettucine alfredo w/lobster and vino catered to them by the local catering service...they have a gripe with the Scuderia.... (jokingly)

Quite impressed by the Ferrari under braking so far. Vettel looked good yesterday and Raikkonen has looked quick and comfortable (when he's been trying) heading into Turn 1.
    Ben Anderson

Pirelli just gave the mechanics a new set of softs, maybe some quick runs now?
    Interviewer: “The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?”
    Kimi: “It protects my head.”

Actually, its very easy to do. We did a project about it. With the sensors, you can do it easily. The Audi quattro system has this.

Raikkonen moves to just 0.215s adrift of Hamilton's super-soft time with a 1m21.198s on his first attempt on this soft-tyre run.
    NicE!

Surely its a good sign when as soon as the car goes and does the 1st lap its quick, right?
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Its their advanced FRIC suspension system....it aids in the corners, apex and exit; all of which helps in braking late, taking the corner at higher speeds(plus wider tyres), and exit harder on the throttle.

and for your information, not everyone on the grid has this system.
    Yes, its their advanced suspension, but, the main purpose of this system is to stop the car from diving and rolling in to the corners, helping with aero balance and to some extent, grip. But, it does not explain getting on the throttle mid corner, and being on the throttle all the way. They must have a system like that to control the wheel slip. No matter what type of suspension you have, there is a point when enough power is applied, the tyer will loose grip, but with a traction controll system like torque vectoring, you dont need to worry so much about it. It also noticeable in slow corners, especially in chicane. FRIC suspension system does not make the car defy laws of physics. The weight transfer will cause one side of the car to lighter than the other no matter what type of suspension you have given you apply enough power.