Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Winter Testing 7th March - 10th March 2017, Barcelona

F1 2017 Onboard: Räikkönen Fastest Lap Of Testing

and F1 2017 vs 2016 Onboard comparison at Barcelona Raikkonen Hamilton

All this looks promising. But we will know how the things really stands in Melbourne.

In 2016 it was the same story - Ferrari was the fastest. But come the races, we were nowhere near the Mercs.
    But have to admit the car goes around much better than last year. Maybe its just bec of the new rules

Quote Originally Posted by gjoko-mkd View Post
    F1 2017 Onboard: Räikkönen Fastest Lap Of Testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ZOmWhHa0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVtuJpLDlmo
    at least in two of the corners Kimi didn't even come close to the corner apex as Lewis did in 2016, so there is definitely more time to be shaved from this lap.

Deputy team boss Bob Fernley said the main problem is that the task of adjusting to vastly different regulations is harder for smaller teams like Force India.
    "We're currently fighting for fifth place with Toro Rosso, Haas and Renault," he said. "Williams is too fast for us, but we're catching up. The season is long."

FerrariSteve Guest
    I'm cautiously looking forward to the race, but I am scared that Merc will turn up the engine and suddenly be 6-9 tenths in front again.. *sigh*
    ..got fingers crossed..

Quote Originally Posted by mhmalik View Post
    at least in two of the corners Kimi didn't even come close to the corner apex as Lewis did in 2016, so there is definitely more time to be shaved from this lap.
    Yep turn 5, 10 and through s3 chicane. Kimi ate a lot of kurb through the chicanes

FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

If we weren't told this is the fastest ever lap in 10 years, then we would have thought that this lap was just one lap of a long run, as it looked, if anything, quite calm and pedestrian like; that is a sign of great composure and reserve where the car's behaviour deceived its demonic pace. There was no see-sawing at the steering wheel (except at the slow hairpin type corner), the car pointed sharply to where it was steered at, and the back end remained superglued to the track like nothing we've seen from Ferrari in a very long time. Had Kimi been driving at the limit, then we would have seen plenty of over-corrections and a degree of untidiness. Also remember Kimi is in the twilight end of his ability on the track - a Daniel or a Max may be capable or more willing to extract another 5 tenths of a second without too much fuss!

Regardless of where we are relative to the Silver Arrows, we can be sure that we have a proper race car on our hands that's quite possibly going to be a handful for the other 2 top teams.
    Last edited by From Treviso; 10th March 2017 at 23:42.

Quote Originally Posted by From Treviso View Post
    If we weren't told this is the fastest ever lap in 10 years, then we would have thought that this lap was just one lap of a long run, as it looked, if anything, quite calm and pedestrian like; that is a sign of great composure and reserve where the car's behaviour deceived its demonic pace. There was no see-sawing at the steering wheel (except at the slow hairpin type corner), the car pointed sharply to where it was steered at, and the back end remained superglued to the track like nothing we've seen from Ferrari in a very long time. Had Kimi been driving at the limit, then we would have seen plenty of over-corrections and a degree of untidiness. Also remember Kimi is in the twilight end of his ability on the track - a Daniel or a Max may be capable or more willing to extract another 5 tenths of a second without too much fuss!

Regardless of where we are relative to the Silver Arrows, we can be sure that we have a proper race car on our hands that's quite possibly going to be a handful for the other 2 top teams.
    Well Said

Tech insight - the secrets to the Ferrari SF70H's speed
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/t...i-s-sf70h.html
    Forza Ferrari

Found this too, RAI head to head with BOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZejyIdxhLI

I wonder if Ferrari wins the race in Melbourne, mercs will ask for change in rules.
    Forza Ferrari

F1 TEST ANALYSIS: IS FERRARI REALLY AHEAD OF MERCEDES? HERE’S WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR

Great Blog from James Allen

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/...-look-out-for/

Screen-Shot-2017-03-12-at-17.21.19.png

Quote Originally Posted by gjoko-mkd View Post

I would prefer it if Kimi was ahead like in the video with LH in the 2017 Merc....

Quote Originally Posted by fmatiasii View Post
    I wonder if Ferrari wins the race in Melbourne, mercs will ask for change in rules.

You mean they will buy the FIA's favor again.

I don't get this. Almost every article says ferrari are historically known to run with 30Kg of fuel while merc and redbull carry 60kg. How is this a known fact ? Even If this has proved to be true in the past, I hope we have changed our running plan this season.

One more thing I noticed. Merc spent an awful lot of time in the pits and was in and out of the pits several times. They 've either messed up the balance of the car with all those new parts or might the suspension rule have affected them?

I won't discount redbull even if they appear to be slow. Whatever they bolt on that car in melbourne will add performance. They're are probably a lot closer than we think.

Did anyone notice, this year we had very few areo runs with measurement devices attached to our? Our drivers were so happy with the balance of the car straight out of the box, this hasn't happened to us in a long time.

Anyway I'm so excited for this season. I hope we can carry the speed shown in testing to melbourne. Whatever the outcome, I'm so proud of our team with what they've managed to do so far considering the turbulent year we had with all the changes.

Forza Ferrari !

Quote Originally Posted by bondilad View Post
    I don't get this. Almost every article says ferrari are historically known to run with 30Kg of fuel while merc and redbull carry 60kg. How is this a known fact ? Even If this has proved to be true in the past, I hope we have changed our running plan this season.

One more thing I noticed. Merc spent an awful lot of time in the pits and was in and out of the pits several times. They 've either messed up the balance of the car with all those new parts or might the suspension rule have affected them?

I won't discount redbull even if they appear to be slow. Whatever they bolt on that car in melbourne will add performance. They're are probably a lot closer than we think.

Did anyone notice, this year we had very few areo runs with measurement devices attached to our? Our drivers were so happy with the balance of the car straight out of the box, this hasn't happened to us in a long time.

Anyway I'm so excited for this season. I hope we can carry the speed shown in testing to melbourne. Whatever the outcome, I'm so proud of our team with what they've managed to do so far considering the turbulent year we had with all the changes.

Forza Ferrari !
    It is not a fact, they are just guessing. Most of them are just looking at the past. Lewis said that Ferrari are fast, maybe as fast as Mercs, maybe faster. As I remember last year, Hamilton was the only one from Mercedes that kept trolling to a minimum, so according to him Merc have still a lot in hand but he doesnt know if it is enough. I tend to believe him. We shall see

Quote Originally Posted by NenoX View Post
    Found this too, RAI head to head with BOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZejyIdxhLI
    Judging by the breaking points, look like Raikonnen has less fuel onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Red is Best View Post
    Judging by the breaking points, look like Raikonnen has less fuel onboard.
    It could also mean we have better balance.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    It could also mean we have better balance.
    Traditionally, it's Ferrari who gain not as much as for example Mercedes or Red Bull from winter testing to race weekend on same tracks (Barcelona in this case). So going by history Ferrari carry lesser fuel in winter testing compared to Mercs or Red Bull. This year looks mighty close, can't wait for Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Traditionally, it's Ferrari who gain not as much as for example Mercedes or Red Bull from winter testing to race weekend on same tracks (Barcelona in this case). So going by history Ferrari carry lesser fuel in winter testing compared to Mercs or Red Bull. This year looks mighty close, can't wait for Melbourne
    Mercedes have a car with understeering tendencies so it's no surprise that they brake earlier and accelerate later.

I think the Mercs are sandbagging a bit. Plus LH signing praises of the Ferrari is in itself a red flag. These guys are going to wait till qualifying in Melbourne and then trounce the field.
    Bit surprised by RBR. Thought they would have been in the mix. They seem a bit off at the moment. But we know they can turn things around fast.
    Mclarens hopeless Honda engine is another surprise. I would have imagined the Japs would have gotten their act together by now, and with no token system, have developed a mighty fine engine. Feel really bad for Alonso. Hope he gets the merc seat next year.
    Silently, like a shadow

McLaren explore Mercedes engine option after Honda problems

McLaren have made an exploratory approach to Mercedes about engine supply in the wake of problems with partner Honda.

The move follows a dismal pre-season test programme for McLaren-Honda, in which the Japanese company's new engine was both unreliable and uncompetitive.

McLaren are said to be evaluating options in the event the relationship with Honda cannot be made to work.

McLaren and Mercedes were unavailable for comment.

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier said during last week's final pre-season test that there was "no plan at all" to end the Honda relationship.

Any switch to an alternative engine supplier would require McLaren to find a way out of its multi-year contract with Honda, which was signed in 2013.

McLaren's contact with Mercedes was characterised by sources as informal and brief and has not led to any resolution on either side.

But the Mercedes board and motorsport boss Toto Wolff are said to be open-minded about the possibility of supplying their former partner.
    ◾McLaren change another engine in testing after electrical problem
    ◾F1 testing review: McLaren deny a crisis
    ◾Who are the fastest and slowest teams in 2017?

Linking up with Mercedes - or Renault, which is another option - would be a momentous decision for McLaren with huge potential consequences because the Honda engine deal is worth close to a net $100m annually to the team compared to a customer engine deal.

As well as supplying free engines rather than paying the 17m euros (£14.8m) annual fee for a customer of Mercedes, Honda also pays half of McLaren's driver-salary bill and a significant sponsorship contribution.

If the Honda partnership was ended, McLaren's main shareholders - Bahrain's Mumtalakat sovereign investment fund and Saudi businessman Mansour Ojjeh - would almost certainly have to plug the gap themselves until a major sponsorship deal could be found, something with which McLaren have struggled in recent years.

Mumtalakat owns 50%, Ojjeh's TAG Group 25% and together they form the executive committee that runs McLaren. The remaining 25% is owned by former chief executive officer Ron Dennis, whose contract was not renewed in January and who no longer has any active role in the company.

McLaren and Mercedes were factory partners for 15 years until the end of 2009, when Mercedes set up their own team, partly because of the souring of the relationship over a number of issues. McLaren continued to use the German company's engines for the next five years as a customer.

The Mercedes engine has been the best in F1 since the introduction of turbo hybrid power-plants in 2014, when McLaren could finish only fourth in the championship, scoring only two podium finishes and no wins.

When McLaren signed with Honda, Dennis gave as the main reason for leaving Mercedes that it was not possible to win in F1 unless a team was an official factory partner of a major engine manufacturer. It is an argument that continues to be made frequently by senior McLaren figures to justify the decision.

But it appears McLaren are having doubts that Honda will ever produce a competitive engine and have decided that switching to a customer deal should at least be considered and the possibility explored.

McLaren were the slowest team in pre-season testing, which concluded last Friday, and their fastest lap time was 2.7 seconds slower than pace-setters Ferrari.

Boullier said in an interview with Spain's AS newspaper conducted during testing last week that he believed McLaren could win with a Mercedes engine.

The Frenchman added that McLaren risked losing their star driver, two-time world champion Fernando Alonso, if they could not become competitive this year.

The Spaniard joined McLaren for the start of the Honda deal in 2015, believing it would give him a better chance of winning the title than his previous team Ferrari. Alonso, whose contract with McLaren expires at the end of this season, has not won a race since May 2013.

Boullier said: "He wants to be competitive because he has talent to show the world and to himself. And we need to be competitive to keep him happy.

"If we're competitive he'll be happy and if not he'll take his own decisions."

source: http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39290908

I don't really care about mclaren.
    Forza Ferrari

F1 2017 vs 2016 Onboard comparison at Barcelona Raikkonen vs Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    I think the Mercs are sandbagging a bit. Plus LH signing praises of the Ferrari is in itself a red flag. These guys are going to wait till qualifying in Melbourne and then trounce the field.
    Bit surprised by RBR. Thought they would have been in the mix. They seem a bit off at the moment. But we know they can turn things around fast.
    Mclarens hopeless Honda engine is another surprise. I would have imagined the Japs would have gotten their act together by now, and with no token system, have developed a mighty fine engine. Feel really bad for Alonso. Hope he gets the merc seat next year.
    Everybody was sandbagging. After the first test I would have agreed that Mercedes would trounce the field come Melbourne but I genuinely think they've bitten off more than they can chew with their overly complicated concept. They may get on top of it eventually but Ferrari are in with a shout.

Some interesting rumours about what's in store for the PU too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Everybody was sandbagging. After the first test I would have agreed that Mercedes would trounce the field come Melbourne but I genuinely think they've bitten off more than they can chew with their overly complicated concept. They may get on top of it eventually but Ferrari are in with a shout.

Some interesting rumours about what's in store for the PU too.
    whose power unit??? our or Merc's?? if so what are the rumours???
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    whose power unit??? our or Merc's?? if so what are the rumours???
    Ferrari's. Rumour has it that they can now deploy electric energy (160bhp) for 50 seconds of the lap and the dual anchor injection system is in development.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Ferrari's. Rumour has it that they can now deploy electric energy (160bhp) for 50 seconds of the lap and the dual anchor injection system is in development.
    but is that even LEGAL?? to be able to deploy the ERS energy for 50 seconds a lap??
    i thought that when the rules were estabilished back in 2014 was only allowed for 33 seconds a lap....so to be able to do it now for an EXTRA 17 seconds, is that even LEGAL???

i'm just asking as i don't know with all these rules...