Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Winter Testing 7th March - 10th March 2017, Barcelona

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Is that a bit of gold on the wing support arond the exhaust. Also any comments from Gary Anderson today?
    Saw that as well. I can see why it would be there around the exhaust, but front wing supports? I would love to have some info about what it is for.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Saw that as well. I can see why it would be there around the exhaust, but front wing supports? I would love to have some info about what it is for.
    I missed the front

Speaking of long runs, we're charting Bottas and Vettel at the moment. Both are on softs and are very consistent in their lap times, although Bottas is in the low 1m23s whereas Vettel's at the opposite end of that bracket.
    Different fuel loads?
    #PrayforMH370 #KeepFightingSchumi

Hamilton trying to play mind games.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...te-for-f1-2017

Massa and Vettel ends up with same amount of laps 168..The highest today
    #PrayforMH370 #KeepFightingSchumi

source: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...Englisch%29%29

Barcelona Topspeed hit list 2017 (week 1) (TRANSLATED)

Cleanest fastest, McLaren lame

The wider and aerodynamically more sophisticated cars are faster in the corners, but more slowly on the straight. So it was at least at the first Barcelona test. We have the top speed values ​​of the ten teams.

The new Formula 1 cars have become faster in the corners. The up to two G higher centrifugal forces stress the neck muscles of the riders more than 2016th The topspeeds in the first test week of Barcelona were not on last year's level. In 2016, Pascal Wehrlein achieved a top speed of 341.5 km / h in qualifying at GP Spain in his manor. The fastest car on the first four test days of 2017 was the Sauber C36 with 332.3 km / h and the 2016 Ferrari V6 turbo in the rear. This makes a difference of over nine kilometers per hour.

Red Bull fast on the straight

The two-meter-wide cars with the new wide tires (six in front, eight centimeters in the rear) have a higher air resistance than in the previous year. This presses the topspeeds. However, the engines in the first week of testing still run on a sparger. None of the top teams have so far fired the qualifying mode. At Pirelli, it is believed that the stronger engines will compensate for the higher air resistance. However, the tire supplier does not believe that the top speeds from the previous year will be exceeded.

The new Ferrari V6 seems to be a good litter. HaasF1 roared through the light barrier in the first test week with a maximum of 331.3 km / h. The fact that Sauber comes with the previous year's engine to a better top speed, suggests that the new unit is still operated with conservative settings. In the third place of the Topspeed hit list came Red Bull with 330.2 km / h. In comparison, Max Verstappen achieved a maximum speed of 335.4 km / h in qualifying.

Measurement End of target line:

team speed

1. Clean 332.3 km / h
    2. HaasF1 331.3 km / h
    3. Red Bull 330.2 km / h
    4. Mercedes 327.2 km / h
    5. Ferrari 325.3 km / h
    6. Renault 324.3 km / h
    7. Williams 323.3 km / h
    8. Force India 321.4 km / h
    9. Toro Rosso 317.6 km / h
    10. McLaren 314.8 km / h

Usually, Red Bull takes a place in the rear third of the field at the top speed. The top speed in the test runs could indicate that the Red Bull engineers have trimmed the RB13 to low air resistance. The presumption reinforces the rather simple design of the car without playful bar booms. Another explanation would be that Red Bull runs with smaller wings to compensate for the PS disadvantage.

Mercedes just faster than Ferrari

Mercedes follows at 327.2 km / h (previous year 334.9 km / h Hamilton). Before Ferrari with 325.3 km / h. In 2016 Vettel brought together a top performance of 334.2 km / h. A good indication for the performance of a drive unit is not only the absolute speed, but rather the speed gain between the finish line and the end finish line. The approximately 400-meter-long piece shows whether a motor still has enough punch at full throttle, and whether the MGU-K and MGU-H electric machines are actively supporting. Especially the MGU-H is even more important this year. Because the braking phases shorten, the MGU-K can recuperate correspondingly less energy during traction operation. So the MGU-H must collect more juice in the exhaust stream. The energy generated by the MGU-H is not limited. In contrast to the MGU-K (2 MegaJoule per round).

HaasF1 increases to 50.8 km / h on the track. This is best value and speaks for a good Ferrari drive package. Clean comes with the old Ferrari engine to 49.6 km / h, Mercedes with its new heartpiece to 48.9 km / h. On the other hand Ferrari only increases by 38.1 km / h. For this, the SF70H already hits the target at 287.2 km / h. That is the third best value behind Red Bull (291.1 km / h) and Williams (288.0 km / h).

Measurement on the target:

team speed

1. Red Bull 291.1 km / h
    2. Williams 288.0 km / h
    3. Ferrari 287.2 km / h
    4. Renault 283.4 km / h
    5. Clean 282.7 km / h
    6. Toro Rosso 281.9 km / h
    7. HaasF1 280.5 km / h
    8. Force India 279.0 km / h
    9. Mercedes 278.3 km / h
    10. McLaren 276.2 km / h

The Renault-fueled teams are similarly increasing between the finish line and the top speed measurement. The factory booked an increase of 40.9 km / h, Red Bull 39.1 km / h and Toro Rosso 35.9 km / h. Still the Renault-V6 is not saddle-resistant. Toro Rosso complained on the third day of the test two engine damage. The team from Faenza came only one lap on the last day of the first week with a patched emergency unit. Red Bull complained about problems in the engine environment. Defects on a crankshaft sensor, a battery change and a broken exhaust limited the program in the first week.

McLaren-Honda is behind the topspeeds. When is it? The Japanese teamed up with motorsport coach Yusuke Hasegawa have built a new engine, but is neither stable, nor the promised performance on the track. The result: maue 276.2 km / h on the finish line and 314.8 km / h at the end of the straight.

Quote Originally Posted by fronaldo View Post
    Massa and Vettel ends up with same amount of laps 168..The highest today
    Very impressive, I think tomorrow ke might run a marathon again and the last 2 days start doing performance runs, 1 day each to the drivers

Have we done any race sims yet?

I think so with 168 laps or always in out laps?
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Have we done any race sims yet?

I think so with 168 laps or always in out laps?
    I don't know for sure, but Seb's last run on soft tires looked to be around 30-40 laps without coming into the pits. I kept watching to see if he'd pitted and he just kept going. So, it's highly likely he did some type of simulation run.

They use gold to stop the heat radiation from damaging the supports. Gold is very good at reflecting heat radiation. So that is why they use gold to cover the supports to reflect the heat radiation from the exhaust so the support doesn't get weaker. I hope I explained it ok.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.gotfunk View Post
    I don't know for sure, but Seb's last run on soft tires looked to be around 30-40 laps without coming into the pits. I kept watching to see if he'd pitted and he just kept going. So, it's highly likely he did some type of simulation run.
    15 laps I believe, was his last stint on softs.

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    They use gold to stop the heat radiation from damaging the supports. Gold is very good at reflecting heat radiation. So that is why they use gold to cover the supports to reflect the heat radiation from the exhaust so the support doesn't get weaker. I hope I explained it ok.
    I understand why its used by the exhaust, the original McLaren F1 road car has gold lined in the engine bay to reflect heat. Just don't know why it is used on the front wing as no heat is arond there unless hot air follwing another car

I understand why its used by the exhaust, the original McLaren F1 road car has gold lined in the engine bay to reflect heat. Just don't know why it is used on the front wing as no heat is arond there unless hot air follwing another car
    I don;t see any gold on the front wing supports. Where are they using it?

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    15 laps I believe, was his last stint on softs.
    His last stint was 35 laps on the soft tyres.

I don;t see any gold on the front wing supports. Where are they using it?

here you go

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Last edited by mizf1; 7th March 2017 at 18:50.

that is the light(side pod) being reflected off the front wing support which is carbon fibre.

Is it me, or is there a very subtle hump on the front nose where the number '5' sticker is placed? Looking from the flow of the reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilani View Post
    That's about what I thought as well. I actually assumed that he pitted during that last long stint and either I missed it or they didn't note it. The other rumor I read was that he was roughly lapping in the high to mid 1:23's though. Not sure if that's good or bad, but if it's consistent, that helps.

FerrariSteve Guest
    I'm holding off on any celebration, seen it before when we looked good in tests and come the races, we were struggling so I'll hold my breath and cross my fingers for melbourne.

Is it me, or is there a very subtle hump on the front nose where the number '5' sticker is placed? Looking from the flow of the reflection.
    Looks like an indentation to me, seems similar to Red Bull also :)
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Lewis : Ferrari are the team to beat.

Deja vu 2016 : Wolf : Ferrari are the team to beat...

Rly sry ?
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Have the team reduced the rake or is the car lowering under speed?

https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.d...f5-1011644.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post
    Have the team reduced the rake or is the car lowering under speed?

https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.d...f5-1011644.jpg
    Doubt it, the car was doing the same on the straights last week, probably just downforce effect causing car to hunker down at high speed.

It kind of looks like where the suspension mount points are. They sort of swell up into that area so slightly. I think I'm looking at the place you're talking about. Just below and to the side of the "5" right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lilani View Post
    Autosport has it as 15 laps on soft tires.

11:31 Vettel's on a monster stint on these softs. His laptimes have fallen into the 1m24s, but it's no surprise – he's on his 15th lap. That's the longest we've seen on the yellow-marked Pirellis today.

Could be a typo...15 laps does not seem like a monster stint. 35 laps on softs and still in the 1m24's is pretty good.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. When Wolff and Hamilton say Ferrari is the team to beat, they're not saying it to play mind games with Ferrari. They're saying it to the viewers to try to make it look like they have real competition and that they're not just walking away with the championship. That way, it looks like they actually have to fight. The viewers know better.

Does anyone seriously think they are saying these things and hoping that Ferrari thinks, "Wow! they said we're the team to beat! That means we can take it easy for a while!" The bottom line is that all teams are scrambling to put the best package together regardless of what anyone else is saying.

Disappointed Since 2010

Autosport has it as 15 laps on soft tires.

11:31 Vettel's on a monster stint on these softs. His laptimes have fallen into the 1m24s, but it's no surprise – he's on his 15th lap. That's the longest we've seen on the yellow-marked Pirellis today.

Could be a typo...15 laps does not seem like a monster stint. 35 laps on softs and still in the 1m24's is pretty good.
    At that stage he had done 15 laps, he went on to do 20 more laps without stopping. Unfortunately no one reported his lap times at the end or for the whole stint.

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. When Wolff and Hamilton say Ferrari is the team to beat, they're not saying it to play mind games with Ferrari. They're saying it to the viewers to try to make it look like they have real competition and that they're not just walking away with the championship. That way, it looks like they actually have to fight. The viewers know better.

Does anyone seriously think they are saying these things and hoping that Ferrari thinks, "Wow! they said we're the team to beat! That means we can take it easy for a while!" The bottom line is that all teams are scrambling to put the best package together regardless of what anyone else is saying.
    Toto recently bigged up RB and I'm hoping that kinda shifts the curse their way.