Thread: 1964 F1 champion John Surtees has passed away.

1964 F1 champion John Surtees has passed away.

Originally Posted by 10th March 2017 - A statement from the Surtees Family
    It is with great sadness that we announce the death of our husband and father, John Surtees CBE.
    John, ‪83, was admitted to St Georges Hospital, London in February with an existing respiratory condition and after a short period in intensive care he passed away peacefully this afternoon. His wife, Jane and daughters, Leonora and Edwina were by his side.
    John was a loving husband, father, brother and friend. He was also one of the true greats of motorsport and continued to work tirelessly up until recently with The Henry Surtees Foundation and Buckmore Park Kart Circuit.
    We deeply mourn the loss of such an incredible, kind and loving man as well as celebrate his amazing life. He has set a very real example of someone who kept pushing himself at his peak and one who continued fighting until the very end.
    We would like to thank all the staff at St George's Hospital and The East Surrey Hospital for their professionalism and support during this difficult time for us. Thank you also to all of those who have sent their kind messages in recent weeks.

RIP John....truly one of the greats....God Rest his soul.

R.I.P.
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

RIP John.
    Forever Ferrari

RIP to a true Champion
    Cheers,
    Ray

"Other teams may be fast, but the poetry, the romance, of F1 racing belongs to Ferrari."-Dan Niel, LA Times

Addio Grande John, truly one of the greats and like Nuvolari a Champion on two wheels and four, both of whom drove for wins in our beloved team.
    He was always a gentleman, a friend to Ferrari and a very bright spot in the Sixties. Condolences to his family from one who will always revere his memory.

Sad to hear this, I was at Monza back in '67 when he won for Honda and I was not amused, but met him a few years later and he was a real gentleman. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP John.

RIP John.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

RIP Champ

RIP Mr Surtees

FerrariSteve Guest
    RIP Big John, such a true legend and also a really really warm and friendly person to talk to. Very down to earth.

:'(

On. Not away.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

HE GREAT SURTEES, 1964 WORLD CHAMPION WITH FERRARI, HAS PASSED AWAY

Maranello, 10 March 2017 – Ferrari has lost one of its greatest drivers. John Surtees has passed away in his native England at the age of 83. Born in Tatsfield on February 11 1934, Big John, as he was fondly known, won the Formula 1 World Championship in 1964 with Ferrari, becoming the only driver in history to claim both the F1 and motorcycle grand prix world titles. Surtees raced in 111 Formula 1 Grand Prix, 30 with the Scuderia Ferrari, delivering six victories, four of which were with the Maranello team between 1963 and 1966. Aside from his outstanding Formula 1 performance, Surtees contributed several victories to Ferrari’s success in the 1963 and 1965 World Sportscar Championship. All at Ferrari send their heartfelt condolences to his family at this sad time.

Last edited by Rob; 10th March 2017 at 22:22.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

The last picure shows Giulio Borsari the renowned mechanic in black overalls along with mad engineer/designer Mauro Forghieri in specs and a silly yellow hat tend to Grande John in the good old days.
    Sir John was no slouch at turning wrenches himself-something he had in common with that other Ferrari champion, a certain Mr. Michael Schumacher.

RIP John, a true legend of the racing world.

Fantastic photos Rob, brought a tear to my eye & a smile to my face!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Amazing photos, thanks. I think I've never seen the one with Mauro
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17