Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Australian GP 2017 - Race thread - Ferrari wins

AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX – MELBOURNE, 26 MARCH
    aus-media..

Maurizio Arrivabene: “A good result today that could have been a great one if we’d managed to get Kimi on the podium too. When we launched the SF70H we referred to it as “Our Ferrari” and indeed today’s win reflects all the effort and hard work put in over the past few months, both in Maranello and at the track. As for Sebastian, he did a great job, as did the whole team in fact. It’s a shame that Kimi struggled in the early stages to get into the right rhythm. Our car went very well on track: it was well balanced and consistent performance from the tyres meant we were able to adopt an aggressive strategy. This is only the first race of the championship: there are still 19 to go and we must maintain a high level of concentration at every Grand Prix, avoiding distractions and, already as from today, we are looking ahead to the next Grand Prix in China.”

Mattia Binotto: “Happy? Yes, definitely. It’s on the track that you reap the rewards of your collective efforts over the winter. It was a busy period during which everyone doubled their energy and effort. We still have 19 challenges ahead of us and today’s race shows how the slightest thing can make the difference between being in front or being behind. Therefore, we must continue to push as hard as possible on development. As for this Melbourne weekend, it was already clear in qualifying that there is little that separates the teams and we knew the race would be very close. The GP was all decided at the pit stops: at that moment, we probably had less tyre degradation than our rivals towards the end of the stint and that meant we were able to stay out on track for longer. From then on, it was a case of bringing home the car in terms of reliability. Seb did an excellent job, while Kimi definitely had a more complicated race, partly because he started from a bit further back on the grid. However, he managed to hold onto this position to the finish and his lap times in the final part of the race showed what he was capable of.”

Sebastian Vettel: “It’s been a great day for us. The team has been working so hard at the track as much as back at the factory. It’s a great feeling. “Grazie mille”, you can’t say much more. The last months have been really intense, it’s been tough to get into the rhythm. It’s just the beginning and there’s still a lot of work going on. This is one of many steps and we have to enjoy what we do. It’s great to see people smiling. Now we have to reset to go to China and try to do a good job.”

Kimi Raikkonen: “In the first stint I struggled a bit with the Ultrasoft tires, but once I switched to the Soft compound the car was behaving really nicely. It was not the most exciting race for me, most of the time I was fuel saving, but when I was pushing the car was fast and I got a really good feeling. Fourth place is a bit disappointing, but we scored some points and Seb’s win is a great result for the whole team. We learned a lot from this weekend: we start from here, with a good package and we pretty much know what we have to do to make the car better.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

And all the time he said he was happy at McCheats etc etc etc, laughing at Ferrari for being second and now this...

I think we all know his comments are not always true and most of the time mind games so now the monkey came finally out of the sleeve it seems.

Why lie and pretend so all these years and act like your happy. He should have bailed McCheats long time ago imho and went for the taxi drive but I guess Toto and Lewis didn't wanted that.

But the thing that's most upsetting is that Honda would be in talks with Sauber... Why on earth would Sauber drop a Ferrari engine for a Honda one lol, even if Honda gave them for free I don't think anyone would be
    jumping of joy to get it . This is just silly journalism at his best if you ask me.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    But the thing that's most upsetting is that Honda would be in talks with Sauber... Why on earth would Sauber drop a Ferrari engine for a Honda one lol, even if Honda gave them for free I don't think anyone would be
    jumping of joy to get it . This is just silly journalism at his best if you ask me.
    Honda buying a lot of shares of Sauber would be awesome for Sauber. Of what use is that Ferrari engine if they can't make a somewhat competitive chassis? Honda teaming up with Sauber in a similar coalition like Sauber had in BMW would be awesome for the Swiss team. They are at the back of the grid anyway. They got nothing to lose, only money pouring in from Honda.
    However, what would McLaren do without an exclusive engine distributor and partner? They will depend on Mercedes? Mercedes won't be too ken to give McLaren engines as well. Bad news for McLaren either way. The real question is, can McLaren manufacture their own engines? Do they possess the know-how and resources for such a feat?
    Last edited by Stormy; 26th March 2017 at 19:50.

Last edited by Rob; 26th March 2017 at 20:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Kimi Raikkonen: “...It was not the most exciting race for me, most of the time I was fuel saving...”
    Most of the time? Is this likely the same for everyone, or did Kimi have a problem?

Was Kimi on a much different setup than Seb?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Was Kimi on a much different setup than Seb?
    Not sure. His max speed was 10kph slower than Sebs. Not sure if that's setup or maybe a small power/electric problem?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have to survive as well, but you don't see me hassling famous athletes to sign tons of stuff...
    That's the behavior of a human-hyena

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
    Not sure. His max speed was 10kph slower than Sebs. Not sure if that's setup or maybe a small power/electric problem?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Weird. Maybe Ferrari used Kimi for testing something? Very often it seems like Kimi is more of a development driver.

Weird. Maybe Ferrari used Kimi for testing something? Very often it seems like Kimi is more of a development driver.
    He had a messy qualifying. Couldnt find the "sweet spot" he wanted all weekend. And then especially on the tyres he had at the start form qualifying he struggled. Once changed was better. Kimi is happy with the car and how it went today, bit frustrated but thats from his litttle mess ups on Saturday.

Australian GP 2017 - Race thread - Ferrari wins

Some after race thoughts...

Typical Hamilton, when he's not winning there has to be something wrong with the tyres, floor etc. Then he complains that overtaking is not possible. He's constantly complaining when it's not going his way. I saw plenty of overtaking going on from the midfield teams today. He's not used to being in traffic; but he better get used to it. I'm so tired of the media acting like merc's pit stop gifted us the win, we had raw pace and could control the race. Toto even said that they couldn't shake seb from hamiltons gear box. Give credit when credit is due...ferrari is fast!!

Forza Ferrari! Great race, great pace, unbelievable result! Bring on 2017....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

He had a messy qualifying. Couldnt find the "sweet spot" he wanted all weekend. And then especially on the tyres he had at the start form qualifying he struggled. Once changed was better. Kimi is happy with the car and how it went today, bit frustrated but thats from his litttle mess ups on Saturday.
    What about having 10 kph less max speed than Seb?

What about having 10 kph less max speed than Seb?
    not the same setup. Stop looking for Kimi being hard done by. He was not 100% happy with his setup, only till later in race he felt ok , well better than the start.

Kimi had some issues with the US in testing. His fastest lap was on SS. Ferrari have to look into this as US will be a huge tire this year

does anyone know what the issues were with the HAAS car as to why it stopped and smoke was pouring out of the back of the car???? it is a little worrying as they're using the same engine, although they probably packaged it differently and may of overheated???? just guessing here...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    does anyone know what the issues were with the HAAS car as to why it stopped and smoke was pouring out of the back of the car???? it is a little worrying as they're using the same engine, although they probably packaged it differently and may of overheated???? just guessing here...
    what been said was, it was water leak that was going on to the exhaust.

not the same setup. Stop looking for Kimi being hard done by. He was not 100% happy with his setup, only till later in race he felt ok , well better than the start.
    Yeah, he had a pretty solid performance towards the end. Guess he managed to find his mojo.
    I wonder though, why is Ferrari or some other teams for that matter, are putting their drivers almost always on two different setups? Just go with one if you are confident it works. (However, F1 teams are anything but stupid, so i guess there is a reason for this )
    Last edited by Stormy; 26th March 2017 at 21:17.

Yeah, he had a pretty solid performance towards the end. Guess he managed to find his mojo.
    I wonder though, why is Ferrari or some other teams for that matter, are putting their drivers almost always on two different setups? Just go with one if you are confident it works. (However, F1 teams are anything but stupid, so i guess there is a reason for this )
    They are not. He sets the car like he feels best suit him.

i'd like to comment about something....

i dont' want to take anything away from Seb and Ferrari, they have done an amazing job over the winter to give our drivers a fast, reliable easy car to drive.

but could it be that lewis was struggling more then Seb at start of race because he was the only guy that strated the race with a set of Ultrasofts that had 6 laps more then anyone of the top 10??

i remember in Q2 the comentators were saying that lewis on his second attempt had come out on a USED set of ultrasofts compared to all others that had new sets, and he has improved on his previous time, which meant that he had to start the race (going by rules) wiht the set of tires that he set his fastest time on in Q2, which were a set of USED ultras that had 6 laps or so more laps then let's say Seb's tires.

i know it's a long shot, but could it be as to why he was complaing after a few laps at the beginning of the race that he his car was sliding around and had less grip??

i personally like to think that our car was just faster and much kinder on tires then the Mercs......
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Mates and matesses,
    Absolutely brilliant drive by Seb
    Good drive by Kimi
    My favorite part? 8 seconds!
    Steve Matchett put it perfectly (paraphrase): Ferrari fans are fans of the team first
    FORZA FERRARI!!!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    i'd like to comment about something....

i dont' want to take anything away from Seb and Ferrari, they have done an amazing job over the winter to give our drivers a fast, reliable easy car to drive.

but could it be that lewis was struggling more then Seb at start of race because he was the only guy that strated the race with a set of Ultrasofts that had 6 laps more then anyone of the top 10??

i remember in Q2 the comentators were saying that lewis on his second attempt had come out on a USED set of ultrasofts compared to all others that had new sets, and he has improved on his previous time, which meant that he had to start the race (going by rules) wiht the set of tires that he set his fastest time on in Q2, which were a set of USED ultras that had 6 laps or so more laps then let's say Seb's tires.

i know it's a long shot, but could it be as to why he was complaing after a few laps at the beginning of the race that he his car was sliding around and had less grip??

i personally like to think that our car was just faster and much kinder on tires then the Mercs......
    That was shown to be inaccurate data. Mercedes confirmed that Lewis did his Q2 lap and therefore started the race on new Ultras just as the Ferrari's did

The top guys are within a half second a lap of each other at the top. Saying Ramilton had an excuse is like saying le rosse had an excuse the last two years. What matters is the result on track. Vetted was nails. Enjoy it. Don't question it.
    On an unrelated note: Ramilton's haircut-HAHAHAHA.
    I vote that his new name should Bowl Cut
    Or better- The Half Pound Haircut

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

The few looks in the Mercedes pit through the race showed to me that they are scared. They know they did their best and Ferrari beat them fair and square. The troubling part going forward for Toto is the realization that they are not going to dominate everyone else this season.

What a great day, so much joy to know we really have a car, the drivers and team to challenge for the championships.

I know you can't read too much into the results, but I think the likelihood is that we will have a far more comfortable win in China and that Haas has a great chance of leading the midfielders. With some luck we could see them on a podium this year.

Our car is an absolute monster that still hasn't been fully unleashed

No they said that fia make a mistake on the information of the state of the tires. They were new tires.

"Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

I am still in disbelief. As the race was wrapping up I wasn't even numerous or anxious. When it was over it was as if it never happened. It has not hit me yet that Ferrari actually won on merit and not from the misfortune of others.

It really was an excellent win but the season is long and there are 19 races to go.

I think if we get two or three wins from the first 5 or 6 races it will start to dawn on me that Ferrari really has a chance to do it.

I guess I have just been jaded by the last 9 years.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    I am still in disbelief. As the race was wrapping up I wasn't even numerous or anxious. When it was over it was as if it never happened. It has not hit me yet that Ferrari actually won on merit and not from the misfortune of others.

It really was an excellent win but the season is long and there are 19 races to go.

I think if we get two or three wins from the first 5 or 6 races it will start to dawn on me that Ferrari really has a chance to do it.

I guess I have just been jaded by the last 9 years.
    Yes, Ferrai Vettel won on pure merit. He was always at the back of lewis in the first stint. He set FL's also during that stint. By that pressure, mercs were forced to get into the pits, which led Vettel out ahead of max & lewis.

I love vettel aggression when came out just ahead of max & lewis, defending that position was crucial. He nailed it.