Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Australian GP 2017 - Race thread - Ferrari wins

I am excited that Giovinazzi is getting his second chance.. his first performance was a very good one now let's see how he performs.

Quote Originally Posted by From Treviso View Post
    My last mention about this race before I move on. So we've had comments by the race media and alike saying that Vettel only won because Lewis was held up by Max, which is only half of the equation. What they failed to mention was that over the race distance, Vettel's Ferrari was faster! Scenario: had Vettel grabbed the lead from the start of the race, he would have clearly been able to pull away in the first stint on the ultrasofts and then be able to respond to whenever Lewis pitted for fresh rubber. It would have been a dominant win that was unaided by any tactical error - he would have won just the same and on outright merit.

No moving on.

IMO, Vet was in full control even when he was sitting behind Ham. We had the pace.

Max being where he was simply enabled the overcut to work (surely Ferrari would have known that if they pitted Vet early he would catchup to Max). If Max wasnt there, Vet would have most likely gone for the undercut (which Merc was trying to cover).

2017 CHINESE GP weather conditions is calling for rain

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    2017 CHINESE GP weather conditions is calling for rain
    I kind of don't want a wet race for Shanghai. I wan't Ferrari to dominate Mercedes on perfect conditions so we can get a clear picture that our car is clearly the fastest on the grid.

By the way, has anyone saw this series with Eddie Irvine?

He is very funny to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I kind of don't want a wet race for Shanghai. I wan't Ferrari to dominate Mercedes on perfect conditions so we can get a clear picture that our car is clearly the fastest on the grid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-IdrYM86KY&t=71s

I would think a talented driver and a "good car" would be ideal in any weather....Seb has raced in the rain when he was with TR and did quite well. Alonso is also good in the rain as well as Max(Sao Paolo 2016...COTA 2015)....should make for an interesting race.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 4th April 2017 at 12:33.

I would think a talented driver and a "good car" would be ideal in any weather....Seb has raced in the rain when he was with TR and did quite well. Alonso is also good in the rain as well as Max(Sao Paolo 2016...COTA 2015)....should make for an interesting race.
    Yeah i agree, but everything can happen in chaotic conditions. Nevertheless, i won't be much disappointed if we get a wet race, that's for sure

I like the confidence of the team going foward and it will help tremendously. I think if it rains the team can collect more data for future races. I don't think it will be a bad thing to happen.

"Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

Quote Originally Posted by 19000rpmF-2004 View Post
    I like the confidence of the team going foward and it will help tremendously. I think if it rains the team can collect more data for future races. I don't think it will be a bad thing to happen.
    Cooler weather could help Merc

Looks to be : wet(prac.), dry(quali) and then wet again(race day)

Talking about wet race... did peril fix there issues with the wet weather tires?

"Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

Talking about wet race... did peril fix there issues with the wet weather tires?
    they're bigger and wider this year....so hopefully more grip
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    they're bigger and wider this year....so hopefully more grip
    Maybe they will ease off with safety car now because of the wider tires that deliver more grip and let them race more.

Seb arrives in China.

Attachment 7056

Attachment 7057

China was kind in the past to Seb, so hopefully a good result this weekend. Kimi should do better in Bahrain...

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    China was kind in the past to Seb, so hopefully a good result this weekend. Kimi should do better in Bahrain...
    It was MS 91st win and final win China 2006.....Seb is making a special helmet dictated to 70yrs of Ferrari with a small mural on the helmet to MS.

It was MS 91st win and final win China 2006.....Seb is making a special helmet dictated to 70yrs of Ferrari with a small mural on the helmet to MS.
    They can redesign the helmets now? I thought you can't use a different helmet design. I thought you can only mess around with colors but that's about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-IdrYM86KY&t=71s

Somebody referred to him as "Michael Schumacher's bag-carrier". About right.
    Trying to be less angry..

They can redesign the helmets now? I thought you can't use a different helmet design. I thought you can only mess around with colors but that's about it.
    IIRC, that rule was softened a bit and drivers can now change their helmets' designs twice a year
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    Somebody referred to him as "Michael Schumacher's bag-carrier". About right.
    Pretty much sums him up, that. A better driver would've won the 99 championship easily...

Quote Originally Posted by Scuderia1967 View Post
    Pretty much sums him up, that. A better driver would've won the 99 championship easily...
    Irvine says the McLaren was simply the better car. However, he is very honest and says that Michael could've done it if it wasn't for the accident.

Bit harsh, he kind of stumbled into a title fight, the pitstop at Nurburgring was bizarre. And helped with Mika crying in the Monza bushes Eddie was pretty honest in admitting he could not beat MS unless he had a better car, and personally I don't think Ferrari really got behind him to win the title as they wanted it to be Michael.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Bit harsh, he kind of stumbled into a title fight, the pitstop at Nurburgring was bizarre. And helped with Mika crying in the Monza bushes Eddie was pretty honest in admitting he could not beat MS unless he had a better car, and personally I don't think Ferrari really got behind him to win the title as they wanted it to be Michael.
    Well, after Michael's accident, Ferrari kind of gave up developing the 1999 car and focused on the 2000 one. So, Eddie said that he had full support but Ferrari decided not to develop the car anymore and that he would've done the same. The McLaren was way better anyway. Ferrari thought winning the title was a very long shot with Irvine and without Michael.
    I like Eddie's point of view, he is very sympathetic and doesn't blame Ferrari one bit.

IIRC, that rule was softened a bit and drivers can now change their helmets' designs twice a year
    Glad to hear that. Drivers should be allowed to change their designs to give tribute to something or express themselves for various matters.

Driver helmet rules clarified by World Motor Sport Council Sept. 28, 2016

The rules limiting a driver to one helmet design per season have officially been relaxed at the most recent meeting of the FIA's World Motor Sport Council (WMSC).

The oft-derided rule requires drivers to stick to a single helmet design for the entire season to make them easier to spot for spectators.

This year a number of drivers have run one-off helmet designs at stand-alone races, with the FIA turning a blind eye to the changes as long as the design reverts to the original livery at the next round.

Now the WMSC has formalised the rule to clarify what is and what is not allowed.

"Drivers must continue to present their helmets in substantially the same livery at every event of the FIA Formula One World Championship for easy recognition of the driver in the car," a statement said.

"However, a driver will now be allowed one event [such as a home race] for a special livery [at the driver's choice].

"Drivers will also be allowed to change their helmet liveries if changing teams during the season."

source: http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...t-council-wmsc

Driver helmet rules clarified by World Motor Sport Council Sept. 28, 2016

The rules limiting a driver to one helmet design per season have officially been relaxed at the most recent meeting of the FIA's World Motor Sport Council (WMSC).

The oft-derided rule requires drivers to stick to a single helmet design for the entire season to make them easier to spot for spectators.

This year a number of drivers have run one-off helmet designs at stand-alone races, with the FIA turning a blind eye to the changes as long as the design reverts to the original livery at the next round.

Now the WMSC has formalised the rule to clarify what is and what is not allowed.

"Drivers must continue to present their helmets in substantially the same livery at every event of the FIA Formula One World Championship for easy recognition of the driver in the car," a statement said.

"However, a driver will now be allowed one event [such as a home race] for a special livery [at the driver's choice].

"Drivers will also be allowed to change their helmet liveries if changing teams during the season."

source: http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...t-council-wmsc
    Oh well, better something than nothing. Last year they weren't allowed for an even one event.

Quote Originally Posted by gjoko-mkd View Post
    He must be thinking... "where'd they pull this car from?! Doesn't look like the one I designed!"

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    That makes zero sense. And to make matters clear, Irvine, in what he calls a "weaker car than the McLaren", finished only 2 (TWO!!!) points behind Mika. So yeah, a better driver than him would easily have won

That makes zero sense. And to make matters clear, Irvine, in what he calls a "weaker car than the McLaren", finished only 2 (TWO!!!) points behind Mika. So yeah, a better driver than him would easily have won
    Maybe its not fully representative of the relative strengths of the drivers, but the race that always come to mind when I think of Michael and Eddie is the Malaysia '99. Watching Michael qualify way faster than anyone, I don't remember the exact margin but it was like multiple tenths. And then watching MS shoot off into the distance and having to slow down to allow EV to pass while MS did a "rear-gunner" job slowing the opposition down and helping EV build a lead. MS did that a couple of times in the race IIRC.

Irvine was a loyal #2 driver to MS. When MS was injured during the 99 British GP, Irvine was partnered with Mika Salo in the German GP in 99. Salo complied to team orders, even though Salo was going to win the race, and with obediance stepped aside and let Irvine win; Salo would never win an F1 race. As a token of good gesture, Irvine after the race handed Salo the race trophy and told him " you won this, its only your right to have it!"

That trophy sits in Salo's house to this day.

Irvine has his moments.

Irvine was a loyal #2 driver to MS. When MS was injured during the 99 British GP, Irvine was partnered with Mika Salo in the German GP in 99. Salo complied to team orders, even though Salo was going to win the race, and with obediance stepped aside and let Irvine win; Salo would never win an F1 race. As a token of good gesture, Irvine after the race handed Salo the race trophy and told him " you won this, its only your right to have it!"

That trophy sits in Salo's house to this day.

Irvine has his moments.
    I guess Shumy should have waited untill after the podium to give Rubens the 1st place trophy he should have won at Austria 2002. What a guy!