Thread: Volkswagen F1 engines

Volkswagen F1 engines

So I hear Volkswagen is to attend the next engine meeting, where potential solutions beyond 2020 will be discussed.

Anyone hear anything about this, or is this only fabrication?

Could McLaren or RBR be contemplating new engine partners? Or are VW going to take sleuth of smaller teams away with cheaper engines?

Any comments guys...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kshitijmalkan View Post
    So I hear Volkswagen is to attend the next engine meeting, where potential solutions beyond 2020 will be discussed.

Anyone hear anything about this, or is this only fabrication?

Could McLaren or RBR be contemplating new engine partners? Or are VW going to take sleuth of smaller teams away with cheaper engines?

Any comments guys...

you are correct sir.....

Audi to Join Engine Talks

It seems VW is eager to have it's voice heard as they are sending a rep from Audi to Fridays engines talks on the future of F1.....

Audi has long been set aside from Formula 1, taking it's time on other seasons and events, such as the 'Le mans 24hr Race' as well as the Touring car championships.

With much success as well I might add! Their 2016/17 car's were phenomenally quick as well as one of the most efficient hybrid engines....

Now it seems they want to get in on some of the F1 action.

Not much is expected to change however, even though the talks are for 2021, FIA president Jean Todt denies any hope of returning to the days of the V10 and wants to keep the complexity of the cars to a minimum!

"I realise this is a sensitive subject,"

"F1 is the flagship of the motor sport industry, and it must be in line with the technological developments of the industry" Todt Explained.

"On the other hand it must be a balance to keep it sustainable. The machines today are too sophisticated,"

source: https://f1-co-uk.myshopify.com/blogs...n-engine-talks

Volkswagen F1 engines

I say more the merrier! Wonder are BMW now pondering a return as well. With their main German automotive rivals pondering a return alongside Mercedes dominant presence, it only makes sense.

I would be a bit annoyed about loosing smaller teams that rely on Ferrari for engines, but I think it's the way to go.

With costs being the hot subject, more competition will only bring lower prices, but also more innovation.

Although JT doesn't want complex v10 engines (still the best in my opinion) Hybrids are time relevant and should continue, only with more freedom being offered to engineers.

If rules are Basic rather than restrictive, we would get a lot of new solutions (some of which may be hard to copy over by other manufacturers). For example, give them an annual allocation of fuel, for the entire team (transportation, races, etc), rather than having in race fuel flow limits or fuel restrictions.

I know it's a far fetched idea, but it can be done! All I am saying is rather than have rules such as exhaust has to be here and wings can't be more than ###cm from centreline, set basic rules... such as You cannot use more than #### kgs of fuel per season, you can use as much fuel of the allocation at any circuit. Your drag coefficient cannot be more than #.# so it's fair for competitors to follow, You must have a clearly defined front wing and a rear wing along with open wheels, you cannot use movable aero etc.....

I am sure there are folks much smarter than me that can write more detailed rules, but 2020 and beyond should encourage creativity and competitiveness between teams... this will attract more people to F1 and create s more marketable product for more teams.

Of course liberty will take their cut!

I say more the merrier! Wonder are BMW now pondering a return as well. With their main German automotive rivals pondering a return alongside Mercedes dominant presence, it only makes sense.

I would be a bit annoyed about loosing smaller teams that rely on Ferrari for engines, but I think it's the way to go.

With costs being the hot subject, more competition will only bring lower prices, but also more innovation.

Although JT doesn't want complex v10 engines (still the best in my opinion) Hybrids are time relevant and should continue, only with more freedom being offered to engineers.

If rules are Basic rather than restrictive, we would get a lot of new solutions (some of which may be hard to copy over by other manufacturers). For example, give them an annual allocation of fuel, for the entire team (transportation, races, etc), rather than having in race fuel flow limits or fuel restrictions.

I know it's a far fetched idea, but it can be done! All I am saying is rather than have rules such as exhaust has to be here and wings can't be more than ###cm from centreline, set basic rules... such as You cannot use more than #### kgs of fuel per season, you can use as much fuel of the allocation at any circuit. Your drag coefficient cannot be more than #.# so it's fair for competitors to follow, You must have a clearly defined front wing and a rear wing along with open wheels, you cannot use movable aero etc.....

I am sure there are folks much smarter than me that can write more detailed rules, but 2020 and beyond should encourage creativity and competitiveness between teams... this will attract more people to F1 and create s more marketable product for more teams.

BMW are going (planning) into LMP1 for 2019 or 2020. So, think F1 is not on their future plans.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    BMW are going (planning) into LMP1 for 2019 or 2020. So, think F1 is not on their future plans.
    Cool... guess their marketing should reconsider is Audi moves over into this space!

Cool... guess their marketing should reconsider is Audi moves over into this space!

BMW is working on a rumoured hydrogen hybrid LMP1 car. Thats their marketing route, thats what BMW wants to try to bring to their road cars. Audi, are rumoured to be thinking LMP1 again in 2020. But, we shall wait and see on
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    BMW is working on a rumoured hydrogen hybrid LMP1 car. Thats their marketing route, thats what BMW wants to try to bring to their road cars. Audi, are rumoured to be thinking LMP1 again in 2020. But, we shall wait and see on
    Hydrogen Hybrid... I wonder what sort of success they will have with it.... remember Hionda looked into that more than a decade ago, but I think it was quiet possible on large scale production.

Word of caution here with regards to Audi/VW as they are in talks at looking into F1.....we still don't have any idea as to the formula after 2020....but the " talks" shed a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel.

Rob is right with regards to BMW. They are more of a touring car and thats their long-term goal which is why they are heavily invested in motorsport ala DTM and others. F1 is not in there sights as they got burned by it in 2008. Hydrogen has two components in the car industry...as a gas(fuel) and as a cell(not fuel, stored enegy)...which IMO BMW has done extensive work on the former(gas). They are also looking (don't quote me on this) into FE as they(BMW) feel this is in their best interests with their I car technology.

Audi/VW quit the LMP1 campaign to venture into FE......maybe a possible merge with the hybrid/IC engine setup.

Volkswagen F1 engines

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Word of caution here with regards to Audi/VW as they are in talks at looking into F1.....we still don't have any idea as to the formula after 2020....but the " talks" shed a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel.

Rob is right with regards to BMW. They are more of a touring car and thats their long-term goal which is why they are heavily invested in motorsport ala DTM and others. F1 is not in there sights as they got burned by it in 2008. Hydrogen has two components in the car industry...as a gas(fuel) and as a cell(not fuel, stored enegy)...which IMO BMW has done extensive work on the former(gas). They are also looking (don't quote me on this) into FE as they(BMW) feel this is in their best interests with their I car technology.
    Sorry for my ignorance I dint know fuel and cell were different

Well, VW representatives coming to this meeting shows that they are interested in F1, that's for sure. Their Le Mans venture has proven to be a big success and they definitely possess the knowledge to develop a solid hybrid engine. Not to mention Stefano Domenicali

Besides, them venturing into F1 would be good for their PR considering the controversy with emissions. Let's see what will happen in the future and who will grasp the opportunity if they don't plan to make their own team. Probably Red Bull, maybe VW will buy Red Bull and Red Bull stays as sponsor.

If they plan a premium partnership with another team, i would love that to be Williams. That way, Williams can finally free themselves from Mercedes' grasp and more money will pour into the team. Who knows, but i doubt they would go with a McLaren partnership.

Now there's a surprise - rumors of Audi/VW coming to F1. If anyone in F1 pays any attention to them before they make a solid commitment spending real money they need their heads read.

Quote Originally Posted by enjaybel3 View Post
    Now there's a surprise - rumors of Audi/VW coming to F1. If anyone in F1 pays any attention to them before they make a solid commitment spending real money they need their heads read.
    If I had a dollar for every time VW/Audi/Lambo were rumoured to be joining F1, I'd be a very lucky (and wealthy) fella...
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

Quote Originally Posted by enjaybel3 View Post
    This is not a rumor but a confirmed information. It's not about Audi/VW joining F1 but about them attending an F1 meeting regarding engines beyond 2020, which means they are interested. As to whether they will show any further enthusiasm or not, that remains to be seen.