Thread: Will Ferrari be going electric in the future?

Will Ferrari be going electric in the future?

Ferrari CEO Sergio Marchionne says the Italian car company "needs to be involved" with all-electric series Formula E in the near future.

Last year the Ferrari boss indicated a willingness to join the Formula E grid "a few years from now". Unlike Formula One, the series has been successful in attracting manufacturers, with reigning world champions Mercedes reserving a place on the grid for the 2018/19 season.

Marchionne says Ferrari would learn a lot from the series which could be applied to its road car division.

"We need to be involved in Formula E because electrification via hybridisation is going to be part of our future," Marchionne told FIA publication Auto. "Hybridisation is crucial to Ferrari. There is no denying that regulations put us under pressure, but we could reach those targets in other ways.

"The challenge is to benefit from hybridisation not just in terms of emissions reduction, but also performance. We have already developed a hybrid supercar, La Ferrari, and on future Ferrari models we will leverage new technologies as well as electrification."

BMW will become a Formula E manufacturer from 2018, while Audi, Renault, Jaguar and Citroen's DS brand are also involved. Formula E still has a spot on the grid for a 12th team to join with Mercedes in 2018, though Ferrari joining as a manufacturer before 2022 seems unlikely. If it does not join as a fully-fledged manufacturer then, it could enter a partnership with an existing team, most probably under the Fiat brand.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...gio-marchionne
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by fmatiasii View Post
    Ferrari CEO Sergio Marchionne says the Italian car company "needs to be involved" with all-electric series Formula E in the near future.

Last year the Ferrari boss indicated a willingness to join the Formula E grid "a few years from now". Unlike Formula One, the series has been successful in attracting manufacturers, with reigning world champions Mercedes reserving a place on the grid for the 2018/19 season.

Marchionne says Ferrari would learn a lot from the series which could be applied to its road car division.

"We need to be involved in Formula E because electrification via hybridisation is going to be part of our future," Marchionne told FIA publication Auto. "Hybridisation is crucial to Ferrari. There is no denying that regulations put us under pressure, but we could reach those targets in other ways.

"The challenge is to benefit from hybridisation not just in terms of emissions reduction, but also performance. We have already developed a hybrid supercar, La Ferrari, and on future Ferrari models we will leverage new technologies as well as electrification."

BMW will become a Formula E manufacturer from 2018, while Audi, Renault, Jaguar and Citroen's DS brand are also involved. Formula E still has a spot on the grid for a 12th team to join with Mercedes in 2018, though Ferrari joining as a manufacturer before 2022 seems unlikely. If it does not join as a fully-fledged manufacturer then, it could enter a partnership with an existing team, most probably under the Fiat brand.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...gio-marchionne

I thought I would never see or hear an electric Ferrari....my how the times are a changin. This move, long-term, could either hurt them or help them: Hurt them ( I can't see anyone paying over $200,000 or more for an electric Ferrari). Help them ( they would have to scale down there price-range along with the other manufacturers in this market already and have a jump on it....would mean more volume maybe for Ferrari).
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 31st March 2017 at 14:03.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    I thought I would never see or hear an electric Ferrari....my how the times are a changin. This move, long-term, could either hurt them or help them: Hurt them ( I can't see anyone paying over $200,000 or more for an electric Ferrari). Help them ( they would have to scale down there price-range along with the other manufacturers in this market already and have a jump on it....would mean more volume maybe for Ferrari).
    Public perception is slowly changing. Electric vehicles are the future, there is no escaping from it. Ferrari needs to adjust. If all these brands SM mentioned join Formula E, then the series will grow a lot.

As long as they are fast and red.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Will Ferrari be going electric in the future?
    Long after I'm dead, hopefully.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

From Marchionne's own words: "electrification via hybridisation is going to be part of our future". So, a 100% electric Ferrari won't happen
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

FerrariSteve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    Long after I'm dead, hopefully.
    Me too.. Formula E is garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuderia1967 View Post
    From Marchionne's own words: "electrification via hybridisation is going to be part of our future". So, a 100% electric Ferrari won't happen
    Jorge, I hope your right. This "hybridisation" IMO is only a stepping stone into fully electric with regards to production vehicles. I have watched a Formula E race (okay, I probably am going to hell for admitting that ) but it is so bloody boring and ummmmmmm....noiseless. Maybe Italy should join Great Britain and call it: Brex -it squared.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Jorge, I hope your right. This "hybridisation" IMO is only a stepping stone into fully electric with regards to production vehicles. I have watched a Formula E race (okay, I probably am going to hell for admitting that ) but it is so bloody boring and ummmmmmm....noiseless. Maybe Italy should join Great Britain and call it: Brex -it squared.
    I don't like FE too, not only the cars sound like vaccuum cleaners they are ugly as hell too. But since everybody is either racing there or planning to do so, it would be foolish for Ferrari to ignore it
    #GillesPerSempre #KeepFightingMichael #JB17

Ferrari is about building the fastest cars in the world... and one has to wonder, is hybrid the right formula for ultimate performance? My guess is no.

Okay Ferrari, save your money on the dreadful Formula E and look towards Lemans!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Pratola View Post
    Ferrari is about building the fastest cars in the world... and one has to wonder, is hybrid the right formula for ultimate performance? My guess is no.
    LaFerrari....V-12 plus KERS(electric motor) PU ??????