Thread: Ferrari engine on a par with Mercedes, or better - Steiner

Ferrari engine on a par with Mercedes, or better - Steiner

Haas F1 Team boss Guenther Steiner is impressed with the progress of Ferrari's power unit this season, believing it's just as good as Mercedes' engine.

Haas runs customer engines supplied by Maranello and Romain Grosjean put has power to good use last weekend when he qualified an excellent sixth for the Aussie GP.

The performance confirmed Steiner's belief that Mercedes no longer enjoys the upper hand in the power department.

"With the engine, there is not just one area that is better, it’s the whole package that has improved from last year," said Steiner.

"It’s now as competitive as a Mercedes engine, if not better.

"Ferrari won in Australia, but everybody is developing and trying to get better. It’s always going to be a development race.

"They’ve made a good step, and without that help from Ferrari, we wouldn’t be where we are."

While Grosjean failed to capitalise on his qualifying effort in Sunday's race, Steiner believes his team is gradually unlocking its speed.

"If you’ve got speed, you can get reliability," he said.

"It’s not good not to have it in the beginning, but not to have speed would be much more difficult to fix than the reliability."

The Austrian manager cats a positive outlook but is all too aware of the momentous battle which shall be fought in the mid-field this season.

"We are cautiously optimistic. We need to still prove that our performance wasn’t a one-off. It’s very tight in the midfield.

"On a good day, you could be on top, but on a bad day, you could be at the back. The other midfield teams have shown that this can happen.

"I think we surprised a little bit with our performance, especially Romain qualifying sixth with his lap, which was four-tenths faster than Massa’s. That’s pretty good."
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Enzo would be proud. The engine was his pride and joy.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Enzo would be proud. The engine was his pride and joy.
    That was exactly what I was thinking when I first saw this title. Enzo always put the engine first.

This sick token system was killing our engine project. It's like frozen car development after test days. I'm really happy it's over now. Our engineers can show the magic this season.
    Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

FerrariSteve Guest
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    That was exactly what I was thinking when I first saw this title. Enzo always put the engine first.
    Yeah but aerodynamics didn't play such a role back then I'm sure he would've had a slightly different stance these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Yeah but aerodynamics didn't play such a role back then I'm sure he would've had a slightly different stance these days.
    yes i agree, now it has to be a total package and not just the engine.
    Forza Ferrari

The engine gets you on pole and the engine gets you 8, 9 seconds ahead from that 1st place position. Unless areo means fly, it's not anywhere equal to engine hp. on thefront where it counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    The engine gets you on pole and the engine gets you 8, 9 seconds ahead from that 1st place position. Unless areo means fly, it's not anywhere equal to engine hp. on thefront where it counts!
    i guess you misunderstood me, i said it's not just the engine. i didn't say engine has nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by fmatiasii; 6th April 2017 at 03:14.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Well look at RB. They had a very weak engine in Renault last year but managed to defeat us and win two races due to their superior aero. Imagine if they had a Ferrari engine or a Merc engine? I think both chassis and engine are equally important now.
    Last edited by Stormy; 5th April 2017 at 20:16.

I still am a big believer in big engine Hp being the main thing to get on pole and win. But!! the car needs a real gearbox! Ferrari seems to be cured of this illness, but it's only one race old so far.

Power is nothing without control.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Power is nothing without control.
    Engine power gets pole pos. Then as you say a driver like Kimi or Seb with championship control up front gets the win. Enzo knew a bit about racing, and I'm with him 100% , a powerfull engine is the winner. One can list the top 2017 top areo cars and then list how far behind Ferrari they came in last race. Having a " Total package" is every teams goal, but the engine is what moves the car.

Marko, though, does concedes that the Renault power unit is still not the pick of the bunch.

“Unfortunately, we are currently number three in all of these areas, which makes it difficult,” he said referring to ‘top performance, energy use, consumption and drivability’.
    “The Mercedes package is simply superior in all areas, only in the top performance is Ferrari close. They [Mercedes] still hit five tenths – even if Lauda says there are only three.”

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Marko, though, does concedes that the Renault power unit is still not the pick of the bunch.

“Unfortunately, we are currently number three in all of these areas, which makes it difficult,” he said referring to ‘top performance, energy use, consumption and drivability’.
    “The Mercedes package is simply superior in all areas, only in the top performance is Ferrari close. They [Mercedes] still hit five tenths – even if Lauda says there are only three.”
    #3 in all the areas except on the podium, Ferrari is #1 !! Merc can keep their superiority in all areas except on the podium after each race.