Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Kimi Raikkonen's replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    Marko, the Red Bull driver manager, tells Bild newspaper: "We would not give max up for 100 million."

https://www.f1reports.com/article/33...-million-marko

Ferrari isn't ready for verstappen just yet.

Our best bet for me is Ricciardo. He'll def bring us big point in the races, So much so, Vettels game will be raised and he knows Ricciardo ain't no slow driver by all means...........So yeah, Ricciardo it is for me.......
    Drive it like you stole it!

Quote Originally Posted by Super M View Post

Our best bet for me is Ricciardo. He'll def bring us big point in the races, So much so, Vettels game will be raised and he knows Ricciardo ain't no slow driver by all means...........So yeah, Ricciardo it is for me.......
    you've got it all wrong mate, it should be "verstappen isn't ready for Ferrari just yet."
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    I think Alonso will be with Ferrari next year.
    perhaps in your dreams mate.

Quote Originally Posted by fmatiasii View Post
    you've got it all wrong mate, it should be "verstappen isn't ready for Ferrari just yet."

Nope, you're not understanding my view here ...............Ferrari isn't ready for him................. "He's ready for us"...................but he needs to mature first..............I don't doubt that he will eventually race for the prancing horse one day
    Drive it like you stole it!

Nope, you're not understanding my view here ...............Ferrari isn't ready for him................. "He's ready for us"...................but he needs to mature first..............I don't doubt that he will eventually race for the prancing horse one day
    No, you got it all mixed up. Verstappen ISN'T ready for Ferrari.
    Forza Ferrari

Dani Ric

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    I think Alonso will be with Ferrari next year.
    I highly doubt it. He is old for F1 standards, and he would stay for what, 4 years?
    Then, how would he work with Vettel ?

We need to start looking at the big picture.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Kimi Raikkonen's replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    I highly doubt it. He is old for F1 standards, and he would stay for what, 4 years?
    Then, how would he work with Vettel ?

We need to start looking at the big picture.
    What about Schumacher returning to Mercedes at the age of 41?

Also no guarantees with Vettel. I sense he is Mercedes bound in a year or two

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    And we all know how that end up, he got beaten by Rosberg.
    Ricciardo is our best bet imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post

Also no guarantees with Vettel. I sense he is Mercedes bound in a year or two
    Michael joined Mercedes at a time when Mercedes was in dire need of his expertise specially at the car setup department.
    He wanted to drive, so it was a win win situation.

Also, as it turned out he was past his prime.

Like it or not, Alonso is O-L-D to come back to Ferrari. We need young drivers in order to be competitive for the years to come.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by fmatiasii View Post
    No, you got it all mixed up. Verstappen ISN'T ready for Ferrari.
    Exactly.

Disappointed Since 2010

Michael joined Mercedes at a time when Mercedes was in dire need of his expertise specially at the car setup department.
    He wanted to drive, so it was a win win situation.

Also, as it turned out he was past his prime.

Like it or not, Alonso is O-L-D to come back to Ferrari. We need young drivers in order to be competitive for the years to come.
    Looking at his performance, not sure if his age is a factor. As far as he in Ferrari is concerned, his only chance is as a stop gap back up between Vettel to Mercedes & Verstappen/Ricciardo to Ferrari

Alonso to Ferrari would be a blessing, 1, 2 finish every race , cars permitting. Getting a young driver as #2 guy, if Stroll at 19 yrs. old can hold his own in a Williams with a podium to his credit, Ferrari should for sure go with their #3 driver Antonio Giovanazzi. He's 24 yrs. old, GP2 experience and now F1. I'm sure team wise he will be welcomed and helped along with open arms! "Ciao Bello! " Meanwhile Alpha Romeo Haas is still a dream team, and Kimi is Ferrari's driver.
    Last edited by Brembo; 15th July 2017 at 04:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Alonso to Ferrari would be a blessing, 1, 2 finish every race , cars permitting. Getting a young driver as #2 guy, if Stroll at 19 yrs. old can hold his own in a Williams with a podium to his credit, Ferrari should for sure go with their #3 driver Antonio Giovanazzi. He's 24 yrs. old, GP2 experience and now F1. I'm sure team wise he will be welcomed and helped along with open arms! "Ciao Bello! " Meanwhile Alpha Romeo Haas is still a dream team, and Kimi is Ferrari's driver.
    Yeah 1-2's all year long. If Alonso comes it will be just rainbows and butterflies, WCC in the bag at the half season mark. Are there still people who believe this would be a good matchup?

If Seb doesn't want to continue with Ferrari then i think FA is a very good option. True, he's a bit old, but he seems as competitive as ever and i think he got competitive 4-5 years ahead of him. Both FA and the new management of Ferrari doesn't hold any grudges against him anymore as well.
    Last edited by Stormy; 16th July 2017 at 15:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    If Seb doesn't want to continue with Ferrari then i think FA is a very good option. True, he's a bit old, but he seems as competitive as ever and i think he got competitive 4-5 years ahead of him. Both FA and the new management of Ferrari doesn't hold any grudges against him anymore as well.
    Ferrari already said no to an Alonso scenario.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

But if max or ric isn't available, Alonso is the best option for them. But I doubt Vettel will leave Ferrari untill 2020

Kimi did great yesterday but is not enough to justify him staying another year, he needs to do more races like this. Sadly for Ferrari the WCC is almost impossible when Mercedes has two great drivers and the faster car, +55 points already.

foolish on behalf of Ferrari , if they want to beat Merc to Manufactures with Alonso in this car thats garuanteed

I must say I'm leaning towards Ricciardo, he's a solid driver and is still relatively young.

Quote Originally Posted by ALO View Post
    foolish on behalf of Ferrari , if they want to beat Merc to Manufactures with Alonso in this car thats garuanteed
    Absolutely not. Alonso is a good driver but he brings disharmony along with him to any team. He only works when he is a clear #1 and that would never happen with Seb at the team. For 2018, Kimi is the best and safest option.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Absolutely not. Alonso is a good driver but he brings disharmony along with him to any team. He only works when he is a clear #1 and that would never happen with Seb at the team. For 2018, Kimi is the best and safest option.
    I agree with ur point. But the same time, can u guarantee WCC with Kimi on other side of car on current form of his, given competitive car.?
    But when Alonso is in, I can, Guarantee WCC title by long way. We can wrap it up 6-7 races earlier itself.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I agree with ur point. But the same time, can u guarantee WCC with Kimi on other side of car on current form of his, given competitive car.?
    But when Alonso is in, I can, Guarantee WCC title by long way. We can wrap it up 6-7 races earlier itself.
    Alonso had the best package in 2005/06 but he didn't dominate at all.
    05 = 7 wins, same as Kimi
    06 = 7 wins, same as MS

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    You can't guarantee jack squat. It's called motorRACING and not motorWINNING for a reason. Anything can happen to any driver. Form and results ebb and flow.

Alonso is a great driver but as a human and a team mate he is a turd of immeasurable proportions. Ferrari doesn't need his crap again. He will sow division in the team like he did last time. A house decided can not stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    Alonso had the best package in 2005/06 but he didn't dominate at all.
    05 = 7 wins, same as Kimi
    06 = 7 wins, same as MS
    Even Ferrari had best package.
    Right at that time it's the competition between 2-3teams.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    You can't guarantee jack squat. It's called motorRACING and not motorWINNING for a reason. Anything can happen to any driver. Form and results ebb and flow.

Alonso is a great driver but as a human and a team mate he is a turd of immeasurable proportions. Ferrari doesn't need his crap again. He will sow division in the team like he did last time. A house decided can not stand.

[QUOTE=WS6TransAm01;949028]

As a teamate Schumy; along with Ross and Todt did a pretty good job dividing the "House Ferrari" 99%, 01% in favor of Schumy. FF to 2018 given an equally favor great winning car, as Schumy was blessed with, Alonso in a " Ferrari house divided " in his favor, will for sure have Ferrari WCC and himself WDC afew seasons in a row for sure. That )1% wing man Rubens did what he had to do, so will Seb?

Well how about Kubica coming? As far as I can tell Renault has him on a fast track to returning. And if he's still as good as I remember him to be I think it would be great.

How about this guy? He's 19 so about Max's age. Maybe it's time for Ferrari to start a new tradition of promoting young drivers.

It's an article in Autosport about LeClerc.

The 'special one' in Ferrari's ranks
    Ferrari has its hands on the hottest property on the Formula 1 ladder at the moment, but what can it do with its superstar-in-waiting?

By Alex Kalinauckas Published on Monday July 24th 2017 RSS feed
    Latest
    News
    Trending
    Plus

Matt James
    Who is winning the BTCC's five-way manufacturer war?
    Insight
    Ben Anderson
    The F1 team-mates verging on civil war
    Promoted: The latest in head restraint tech
    Edd Straw
    Why F1 is selling fans short on TV
    Lawrence Barretto
    The real reasons a London GP is a pipedream
    Nigel Roebuck
    Britain's first five-time home grand prix hero
    Share this article on
    Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Google+
    Email
    The first half of the 2017 Formula 2 season has been dominated by one particular story: the performance of Prema Racing's Charles Leclerc.

The 19-year-old has claimed five wins, 188 points, and six consecutive pole positions. The final statistic equals the record established by Stoffel Vandoorne in the category formerly known as GP2.

Leclerc is no stranger to success. He was the CIK-FIA Academy Trophy karting champion in 2011, a race winner in Formula Renault 2.0 ALPS and European Formula 3 in '14 and '15, and he clinched the GP3 title last year.

In 2016 he joined the Ferrari Driver Academy and tested for the Scuderia at Silverstone in addition to four FP1 appearances he made for Haas. He'll share driving duties in the SF70H at the post Hungarian Grand Prix test with Kimi Raikkonen early next month.

But although his step up to F2 led to some expectation, the level of success he has enjoyed so far in his rookie campaign in a series without a first-time winner since Nico Hulkenberg in 2009, is surprising. This is because the fragile nature of the F2 Pirelli rubber traditionally takes some getting used - Vandoorne himself had to learn its foibles before he dominated the category on his way to the '15 title as a second-year driver.

"It couldn't have gone better and we didn't wish for any better," Leclerc says. "I mean from the first practice this year it has been an amazing season."

At the first round in Bahrain, Leclerc claimed pole before struggling with tyre degradation in the feature race and ended up third behind GP2 veterans Artem Markelov and Norman Nato, but used an unusual strategy in the sprint event, which does not require pitstops, to charge to his first victory. It had all the hallmarks of the classic GP2/F2 rookie learning process - rapid pace with tyre management struggles preventing a win in the longer race.

But since then, he has won four out of the five following feature contests, with a poorly timed safety car and then suspension failure costing him a home win in Monaco.

"I worked on myself for the degradation and I still do work on the degradation," he explains when asked what he focused on between the first two rounds. "I don't think we're on top of this at the moment on my side, not on the car side. We're quite good but we could do better."

That desire to constantly improve has impressed his Prema team, which is clearly delighted with Leclerc as both a driver and an individual.

"He's a pearl," says Angelina Ertsou, Prema's press officer. "He has it all."

"He's a very good team player, and he knows what he wants," adds Prema team boss, Rene Rosin. "He knows how to deal with other people - he's really focused. I'd say he's one of the special ones that we've seen so far."

Rosin explains that even when things are going well for Leclerc, he wants to know where he can improve: "After each race he comes back to me and asks 'what do you think?' I say, 'Charles, you just led,' like in Baku. 'Pole, fastest lap, win - what do you want me to say?' '[But] what do you think - can I still improve?' he says. He's always trying to reach the next limit and that's something really incredible."

Leclerc's rapid start to the 2017 season has netted him a 67-point lead over Markelov, with his former driver coach Oliver Rowland four points further back in third. But the Monegasque racer, who has a list of F2 targets and records printed out by Prema in his room in the team's truck to aim for, is not comfortable resting on his current advantage.

"If I do I a really bad end of the season then the amazing start will be forgotten," he says. "So I need to focus on my job and try to work as hard as possible to keep the top spot."

Ominous stuff if his rivals were hoping he'd take his foot off the gas heading into the summer break, which gets underway after upcoming Hungarian round.

That continual focus on improvement - a drive shared by many of the most successful sportspeople - is a sign of Leclerc's mental strength, which was epitomised by the tragic events his family went through just days before the racing in Baku got underway last month.

Three days before qualifying, Leclerc's father Herve - a former Formula 3 racer - passed away. Leclerc not only took pole and the feature race win, which he dedicated to his father, but he won the sprint race on the road before dropping back to second when a 10-second penalty he had picked up for setting a personal best sector after passing yellow flags was applied.

"Everybody was impressed with how he handled that, especially at his young age," says Leclerc's former boss, ART Grand Prix team manager, Sebastien Philippe. "It's never easy to lose your dad, especially when you are young. This shows how strong he is now - he has been able to put that on the side during the race weekend to focus on his job."

Rosin was also impressed by how Leclerc was able to put his family's loss aside temporarily to get the job done behind the wheel.

"For me he is very strong mentally," he says. "He knows what he wants and he knows how to get it, in the short-term and in the long-term. That is one of his big strengths."

Leclerc is determined to stay focused on his F2 charge, despite the questions it raises about a future F1 drive. Does he think about being on the F1 grid in 2018?

"Saying no would be lying but I try to think about it as little as possible," he says in a refreshingly honest way in an age when many up-and-coming drivers understandably fall back on their media training.

To help that focus, he requested that if further F1 practice outings were to be on his schedule for 2018 that they not take place during the middle of the F2 season.

"We could have managed it a bit better last year because to do F1 and GP3 in the same weekend disadvantaged me quite a bit," he says. "Because the two cars are completely different and to go back from F1 to GP3 was very hard."

But Phillippe, whose ART squad ran Leclerc to the 2016 GP3 title, says that despite the difficulties he had switching around on a single weekend, he dealt with the demands.

"It's difficult to spilt your mind in two different ways - also when you have the pressure from F1 because it's important to deliver to show what you are able [to do]," he explains. "To have the focus, to have the good place at the good time is not easy and when you do two things in the same time it doesn't help. But he did it well."

Looking ahead, Leclerc's F2 success and upcoming Ferrari test lead to inevitable speculation about an F1 graduation next year. He says that he trusts his management and the FDA "200%" when it comes to finding opportunities for him.

Ferrari partner Haas is keeping its current line-up, while an opportunity at Sauber could depend on whether its proposed Honda engine deal goes through. A move to the Scuderia - a very unlikely scenario given its traditionally conservative approach to driver signings - shouldn't be totally ruled out too.

His naturally aggressive style - "I love to attack" - was evidenced by his Bahrain win and Phillippe believes he suits more powerful machinery, which he would find in F1.

"He's always on a big attack and I think this F2 car suits him even better," he says. "The more power there is the better he will be. With a lot of power and a bigger downforce car - he can use it even better."

Leclerc has made some mistakes this year, particularly his botched pass on Nato in the Monaco sprint race, but he is usually very calm behind the wheel.

In the Silverstone feature race, a small oil leak caused plumes of smoke to come out of the rear of his car. Rosin had "a bit of a panic" on his behalf, but Leclerc "just carried on" undeterred in a race where his brakes caught fire on the formation lap and a wing mirror fell off.

"He's really one that should be soon in F1," says Rosin, "he has to be there."

The last two GP2 champions to make the step up to a crowded F1 grid (Vandoorne and Jolyon Palmer) did not do so immediately, but if Leclerc does move on, to wherever that may be, his success so far suggests he has what it takes to flourish.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    How about this guy? He's 19 so about Max's age. Maybe it's time for Ferrari to start a new tradition of promoting young drivers.

It's an article in Autosport about LeClerc.

Ferrari has its hands on the hottest property on the Formula 1 ladder at the moment, but what can it do with its superstar-in-waiting?

post #484 in the thread "What is going on with Sebastian Vettel "

but I agree, but too early for him right now. Keep Leclerc at HAAS for 1 or 2 years. Max would be on the top of my list first for 2018 into 2019. If not then Leclerc to

slide in.