Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Kimi Raikkonen's replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Very true! You can't get always what you want unless your the #1 driver. What's sad is as you say, if Ferrari can't give Kimi a car that can defeat Bottas' Merc car, maybe Kimi should switch teams with Bottas. How many podiums, wins did Bottas have with Williams? A on the money car helps every time.
    Bottas did pretty well in Williams considering the car. This year, Hamilton is the number 1 driver but Bottas still manages to deliver for Merc where Kimi can't for Ferrari. Kimi was also #1 driver in 2008 but couldn't deliver as well. So, i think he can't adjust to various setups.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    For me the problem with Kimi is that he seems inconsistent, one day he can be brilliant then the next he just doesn't seem to perform and falls back into the pack. As a Felipe fan, Ferrari partly let him go for similar reasons, but a wing-man is also capable of winning on one of his good days!!
    That's a good point you made about Massa, and to be honest, I think he could do a better job than Kimi. Since he switched to Williams, he has score five podiums. I would really like to see him finish his career with Ferrari, but I highly doubt that it will happen.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    That's a good point you made about Massa, and to be honest, I think he could do a better job than Kimi. Since he switched to Williams, he has score five podiums. I would really like to see him finish his career with Ferrari, but I highly doubt that it will happen.
    Ha ha, there are many on TSN who wouldn't agree with you, but you're on my wavelength and nothing would please me more, but it's just won't happen. I agree that he's always been as good as Kimi on the right day, if not better! (2008 especially).

I know it won't happen but Kubica would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Red is Best View Post
    I wish Renault takes him in Palmer's place. If he makes a successful comeback it would be an awesome story for F1. And if he is really successful, why not Ferrari afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Red is Best View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I wish Renault takes him in Palmer's place. If he makes a successful comeback it would be an awesome story for F1. And if he is really successful, why not Ferrari afterwards?
    Yes, both of you are right with regards to Palmer. But lets look at the situation. Kubica, given his age, in-experience at most tracks, and his physical conditon, is trying or going to

play catch-up. He did 115laps in a 2012 Renault F1 car which is quite a feat being he has been out for so long. Quite different in a 2017 F1 car and very complex with mappings and

strategies and a whole host of other software complexities; not to mention g-loads. How about an up-and-coming F3 or F2 lad...they race on the same tracks??? I can think of 3. Or

how about someone else from the current grid???

I think its great Renault are giving him a chance to try it out and only he can decide for himself if he is ready and has what it takes......or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Yes, both of you are right with regards to Palmer. But lets look at the situation. Kubica, given his age, in-experience at most tracks, and his physical conditon, is trying or going to

play catch-up. He did 115laps in a 2012 Renault F1 car which is quite a feat being he has been out for so long. Quite different in a 2017 F1 car and very complex with mappings and

strategies and a whole host of other software complexities; not to mention g-loads. How about an up-and-coming F3 or F2 lad...they race on the same tracks??? I can think of 3. Or

how about someone else from the current grid???

I think its great Renault are giving him a chance to try it out and only he can decide for himself if he is ready and has what it takes......or not.
    You're not wrong, but I think it would make the show more enjoyable if they dumped Palmer and had Kubica take his spot. I would be interested in seeing how he would fare against Hulkenberg. He can't be any worse than Palmer.

Disappointed Since 2010

Kubica "not on the list" for 2018 Renault seat

Renault Sport F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul has downplayed the prospects of Robert Kubica returning to the Enstone team, despite the Pole's successful recent test outing at Valencia.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...t-seat-919151/

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Kubica "not on the list" for 2018 Renault seat

Renault Sport F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul has downplayed the prospects of Robert Kubica returning to the Enstone team, despite the Pole's successful recent test outing at Valencia.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...t-seat-919151/
    He didn't completely say 'No'. I like Kubica, he perhaps was the only guy who could match Alonso, I hope to see him in F1 again

The only replacements for Kimi that makes scence would be Alonso , Lewis or Massa wearing a good luck charm. Putting bad luck aside he would be freat back @ Ferrari .

The only replacements for Kimi that makes scence would be Alonso , Lewis or Massa wearing a good luck charm. Putting bad luck aside he would be freat back @ Ferrari .
    Massa? Thanks but no thanks.

I really like Ricciardo, i wish he somehow gets bought out of his RB contract and into Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    I really like Ricciardo, i wish he somehow gets bought out of his RB contract and into Ferrari
    I also think Dan would make a good choice to replace Kimi. I doubt an existing contract would prove a barrier if the team wanted to secure him, it would just be a negotiating point. He's a quality driver who has proven he can win and still be part of the team. He has successfully seen out a season as a team-mate of our #1 driver which is also good.

Instead of Massa i would put Ricciardo.
    Best would be max, but thats not going to happen. Helmut sees him as the next best thing and will never let him go.
    Silently, like a shadow

Imagine Crashstappen and Crashjean in the same team now that would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    Imagine Crashstappen and Crashjean in the same team now that would be something.
    At Ferrari?

Quote Originally Posted by enjaybel3 View Post
    I also think Dan would make a good choice to replace Kimi. I doubt an existing contract would prove a barrier if the team wanted to secure him, it would just be a negotiating point. He's a quality driver who has proven he can win and still be part of the team. He has successfully seen out a season as a team-mate of our #1 driver which is also good.
    We replace Kimi with a race winner and a determined driver, and Red Bull get to keep Sainz in the family and promote him to Red Bull, it's a win win for both parties!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    Instead of Massa i would put Ricciardo.
    Best would be max, but thats not going to happen. Helmut sees him as the next best thing and will never let him go.
    I agree with you, if we cant get Max, then Ricciardo

Allegedly Sainz may be available if Ricciardo and Verstappen stay at RBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    Allegedly Sainz may be available if Ricciardo and Verstappen stay at RBR.
    I still don't believe any of the names here are better than Kimi? Without getting into it, telling Verstappen to move over for Seb?

Grosjean “in a good position” if Raikkonen seat becomes available
    http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/06/2...mes-available/

Raikkonen will help Vettel “when I don’t have a chance mathematically”
    2017 Azerbaijan Grand PrixPosted on | 22nd June 2017, 12:27Author Keith Collantine
    Kimi Raikkonen confirmed he will support his team mate’s championship bid if he becomes mathematically incapable of winning the title this year.

The Ferrari driver said he will only have to follow team orders to help Sebastian Vettel if he drops out of championship contention entirely.

“I think we have very clear rules in the team, what we are allowed and not allowed to do and what the team wants us to do,” said Raikkonen during the press conference in Baku. “It goes by those rules. I don’t know if I have any interest to tell what we talk inside the team in here.”

“I think Maurizio [Arrivabene] has said something and nothing has changed. We know exactly when things will can go either way, that’s fine, that’s how it’s always been, at least in the teams teams I’ve been in.”

“When I don’t have a chance mathematically any more to fight for the championship for sure I will help. I have no issues with that and I haven’t in the past. I think it’s just a very easy decisions for all of us, at least in our team.”

Raikkonen stressed the priority for him and Vettel was to strengthen Ferrari’s cause in the constructors’ championship.

“Obviously the first thing is to try to make sure we can be on the top with Ferrari, that’s the most important thing,” he said. “And then obviously if Seb can win and if I don’t have any chance, that’s how it goes. The first thing is to work for Ferrari and put them in the best possible position, and then we will see.”

Raikkonen is yet to finish a race in front of his team mate this year and Vettel has almost twice his points tally.

“It’s a big difference,” Raikkonen admitted. “The bad races add up, Seb has done very good races so far, been strong everywhere.”

“I was not starting very well the first races, obviously not too bad, but not where I want to be. And then here and there little problems, one DNF, last race wasn’t ideal.”

“That’s how it goes unfortunately when your team mate is on the podium more or less every time. The points turn around quickly, that’s racing.”

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/06/2...athematically/

I hope Kimi continues with us, but if not, the only driver I think would be a suitable replacement would be Ricciardo.

Quote Originally Posted by CurdaNeta View Post
    Grosjean “in a good position” if Raikkonen seat becomes available
    http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/06/2...mes-available/
    Grosjean is the last driver Ferrari need

Quote Originally Posted by Infi24r View Post
    Grosjean is the last driver Ferrari need
    Indeed. I think Grosjean is a bit overrated. He's not consistent, especially recently. Sainz did a lot of wrong moves lately as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    I hope Kimi continues with us, but if not, the only driver I think would be a suitable replacement would be Ricciardo.
    I hope so too. There's Seb, merc 2 drivers, and then Kimi for now. With a little Ferrari car luck, Seb , Kimi then Merc!! Why would anyone think Kimi should go ?

I don't understand this permanent bashing of Kimi at all. Remember that last year when he start beating Seb in Qualification and during the Race. I believe this could happen again this year, in which case he deserve another year with Ferrari.
    And instead of those who say here that he is not fast or constant anymore, I would comment that Ferrari knows why they continue with him... I would imagine they know better than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post
    I don't understand this permanent bashing of Kimi at all. Remember that last year when he start beating Seb in Qualification and during the Race. I believe this could happen again this year, in which case he deserve another year with Ferrari.
    And instead of those who say here that he is not fast or constant anymore, I would comment that Ferrari knows why they continue with him... I would imagine they know better than us.
    The problem is he wasn't in races.

In 2016 in the last 10 races, It was Vettel 8-2 in races. The two races Kimi finished in front was Malaysia where Vettel DNFed in the first corner and Singapore where Vettel started from back of the pack.

Considering Verstappen is showing up Daniel this year and his age, I think the target should be him.

He is pretty unlucky this year as well. Just today he was blameless in the tangle with Bottas, on the next lap was hit by debris and then a puncture that he had no chance to avoid. Add that to a car problem when he was leading Ferrari charge in Canada, eliminated on the first lap in Spain and bad strategy that cost him potential podiums in China and Bahrain. As much bad luck as the Seb, Lewis and Valtteri combined.

If there was such a thing as a bad luck podium, Massa and Kimi would up there big time!