Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Kimi Raikkonen's replacement?

Mika Salo: 'No good candidates to replace Kimi Raikkonen'

Former Formula 1 driver Mika Salo has said that Kimi Raikkonen has a good chance of hanging onto his place at Ferrari beyond 2017.

After Monaco, where Raikkonen appeared to be the victim of a Ferrari strategy to demote him behind teammate Sebastian Vettel, many said that the 37-year-old is now effectively the de-facto number two driver.

It came amid existing speculation that Raikkonen could lose his seat at the end of his current contract.

Salo told Ilta Sanomat newspaper: "Ferrari will surely be considering the fact that Kimi and Sebastian Vettel continue to get along well with each other.

"I don't think there are any available really good guys who are able to do a better job than Kimi. Kimi was second in Monaco, but he is close to Vettel all the time.

"Vettel is of course already a lot of points ahead, but if Kimi gets a couple of wins, then it could completely change the situation."

Raikkonen is fourth in the drivers' standings heading into the Canadian Grand Prix.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-...en_299774.html
    Forza Ferrari

"After Monaco, where Raikkonen appeared to be the victim of a Ferrari strategy to demote him behind teammate Sebastian Vettel ... "

The British press are really insufferable. In Canada Mercedes will probably order Bottas out of Hamilton's way again - and nobody in the UK will be able to see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    "After Monaco, where Raikkonen appeared to be the victim of a Ferrari strategy to demote him behind teammate Sebastian Vettel ... "

The British press are really insufferable. In Canada Mercedes will probably order Bottas out of Hamilton's way again - and nobody in the UK will be able to see it happening.
    It's not all of them, although there are a few with big grudges who are in prominent positions. Enjoy the fact that they are realizing that we are faster.
    Just imagine how they are going to squeal when we win the WDC and WCC I can't wait to hear it....

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post

Yeah, in Bahrain Merc destroyed poor Bottas' race (and engine) to help Lauda's favorite son win.

Shame nobody commented (lewis included) on that. If Ferrari did in fact cost Kimi the win , at least they did not screw up is whole race and car do do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ManFromMilan View Post
    Yeah, in Bahrain Merc destroyed poor Bottas' race (and engine) to help Lauda's favorite son win.

Shame nobody commented (lewis included) on that. If Ferrari did in fact cost Kimi the win , at least they did not screw up is whole race and car do do it.
    British media doesn't cover those. They cover heavy if ferrari wins it & put up some conspiracy behind it.

If ham wins it, they hail it as superb driving skills. If he doesn't win & bottas out scoring him, then they show it as car set-up problem or mercs favouring bottas.

Seb given deadline to make his decision before Italian GP

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...e_8211_report/

Alonso states if McLaren don't win by September he will leave the team

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...September8221/

I might be getting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, seems to me Alonso is leaving either way just waiting to see if Vettels (or Kimis) seats become available.

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Seb given deadline to make his decision before Italian GP

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...e_8211_report/

Alonso states if McLaren don't win by September he will leave the team

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...September8221/

I might be getting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, seems to me Alonso is leaving either way just waiting to see if Vettels (or Kimis) seats become available.

yep, Seb has to make a decision deadline as his contract ends this year. I say he stays.

Mclaren giving Honda till Spa GP(90 days) to get things in order, otherwise we could be seeing a divorce between Mclaren and Honda and quite possibly Alonso leaving them both.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    yep, Seb has to make a decision deadline as his contract ends this year. I say he stays.

Mclaren giving Honda till Spa GP(90 days) to get things in order, otherwise we could be seeing a divorce between Mclaren and Honda and quite possibly Alonso leaving them both.
    Alonso heading to

Lets just hope this 2 ferraris fighting for the win continues. I still believe if kimi is clearly faster than Seb in a weekend, they will let him win and not intervene. Pole and pull away after the start, and the win is yours. Easier said than done with Seb, who is having imo his best season up to date

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Lets just hope this 2 ferraris fighting for the win continues. I still believe if kimi is clearly faster than Seb in a weekend, they will let him win and not intervene. Pole and pull away after the start, and the win is yours. Easier said than done with Seb, who is having imo his best season up to date
    100% agree with your statement.

Toto said Rosberg could come back in a Ferrari one day. You think he can co-exist with Seb?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Toto said Rosberg could come back in a Ferrari one day. You think he can co-exist with Seb?
    Not sure about co-existing with Seb, but if we seriously want to win the WCC we need a driver who can perform or at least be closer to his speed.

Kimi Raikkonen's replacement?

What was Kimi doing in Canada, Seb came from 18 to the 4th position, and kimi couldn't advance, he only went back, we need to change him.

Go Ferrari go!
    Sent using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

I can't see Vettel leaving Ferrari, his contract will be extended. As far as second driver is concerned, Kimi is more suited as he can happily be Seb's wing man, I don't see Alonso coming back. Rosberg un-retiring can not be ruled out either. I don't want to see Sainz, Perez etc in the red car

We saw Seb, Nico and Lewis together a good deal in post-qualifying and post race interviews in 2015 and 2016, and there always seemed to be a much better relationship between Seb and Lewis than between Seb and Nico. Just on a personal level I don't see those two getting along well. Judged simply as a driver I reckon Rosberg would be a good addition to the team. There was usually very little in it between him and Hamilton.

Everyone is focusing on replacing Kimi, so lets not forget that Seb's contract runs out this year. If we're still fighting for the championship by Monza I expect to see him signing a new contract. On the other hand if Mercedes are back to their dominating ways and cruising to victory to he might decide to try to jump to them and drive alongside Lewis next year. In that case we might see Alonso or Rosberg next year.

I think Toto was trying to de-stabilize Ferrari before the weekend by inferring that Rosburg could join the team next season.
    It seems to have worked to a certain extent.

Forza Jules

I don't see Rosberg coming back. He is too much of a "nice guy" until 2016; plus a family and two kids and he did state after leaving on a high note, " There is more to life than

F1."

Quote Originally Posted by bondilad View Post
    Not sure about co-existing with Seb, but if we seriously want to win the WCC we need a driver who can perform or at least be closer to his speed.
    It's not so much about co-existing with Seb although your point is valid. It has much to do with co-existing with the "politics" with management as he witnessed with Lewis. If

Mercedes left a sour taste in his mouth then Ferrari's politics will surely leave even more of a sour taste in his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    What was Kimi doing in Canada, Seb came from 18 to the 4th position, and kimi couldn't advance, he only went back, we need to change him.

Go Ferrari go!
    Sent using Tapatalk

Kimi's brakes failed or he had brake issues as witnessed when he overshot the chicane in the last several laps of the race. Still no excuse for his performance though up until

then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    I can't see Vettel leaving Ferrari, his contract will be extended. As far as second driver is concerned, Kimi is more suited as he can happily be Seb's wing man, I don't see Alonso coming back. Rosberg un-retiring can not be ruled out either. I don't want to see Sainz, Perez etc in the red car
    to be someone's "wing man", you're supposed to protect him from others.....kind of like a "rear gunner".....but in this case when kimi is 3,4 or 5 places back, to me that does't sound like a wing man or rear gunner....then again, that is just me
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    to be someone's "wing man", you're supposed to protect him from others.....kind of like a "rear gunner".....but in this case when kimi is 3,4 or 5 places back, to me that does't sound like a wing man or rear gunner....then again, that is just me
    Absolutely right. Even if seb has a bad day in the office, he should be there to capitalise on the situation and give a hard time to the mercs. Seems he's so far behind he hardly manages to take points away from the mercs. He's no where near sebs pace and has been under threat from the RB drivers many times which should not happen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    copy that "goose".....

Holy hell, wasn't the guy on pole in Monaco and P2 after the race? No one said Ferrari should keep him and then after the Canadian GPs bad performance you demand Ferrari to sack him right away..

Guys, do you have an agenda against Kimi or what is this?

Quote Originally Posted by barzini77 View Post
    Holy hell, wasn't the guy on pole in Monaco and P2 after the race? No one said Ferrari should keep him and then after the Canadian GPs bad performance you demand Ferrari to sack him right away..

Guys, do you have an agenda against Kimi or what is this?
    If he carried on the Monaco form to Canada and the rest of the season then I doubt many would have any issues. Pole at Monaco does not change much about the whole season. Ricciardo is challenging him for 4th place while Seb leads the way which tells it's own story.
    Forza Ferrari

Kimi needs to fight for third with VB not with Rcciardo for fourth.

Kimi needs to fight for third with VB not with Rcciardo for fourth.
    I agree. If Vettel is finishing first, he must finish third or higher in order for Ferrari to clinch the WCC. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling we will only be seeing Vettel win the driver's championship.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I agree. If Vettel is finishing first, he must finish third or higher in order for Ferrari to clinch the WCC. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling we will only be seeing Vettel win the driver's championship.
    Agree

Kimi needs to finish higher than p4.

Kimi needs a car set up to get him on pole. When he's on pole he can win or come in second with Seb moving up on him. Ferrari has 2 #1 capable drivers given the equipment. Neither RB or Merc has a better driver than Kimi or Seb.

For me the problem with Kimi is that he seems inconsistent, one day he can be brilliant then the next he just doesn't seem to perform and falls back into the pack. As a Felipe fan, Ferrari partly let him go for similar reasons, but a wing-man is also capable of winning on one of his good days!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Kimi needs a car set up to get him on pole. When he's on pole he can win or come in second with Seb moving up on him. Ferrari has 2 #1 capable drivers given the equipment. Neither RB or Merc has a better driver than Kimi or Seb.
    Kimi needs to be more capable of adapting to various setups, you can't get always what you want. At the moment, with this inconsistent performance it looks like he may not even be in top 10 drivers on the grid. Sad. If he doesn't defeat Bottas this year i think it's time to hang up his helmet.

Very true! You can't get always what you want unless your the #1 driver. What's sad is as you say, if Ferrari can't give Kimi a car that can defeat Bottas' Merc car, maybe Kimi should switch teams with Bottas. How many podiums, wins did Bottas have with Williams? A on the money car helps every time.