Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 55 of 55

Thread: Sauber Honda - 2018

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Prague - CZ
    Posts
    157
    Sauber-Honda officialy confirmed today

    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...from-2018.html
    Last edited by Honzus; 30th April 2017 at 08:27.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    2,031
    Do Ferrari really lose political power now when this is confirmed?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    9,825
    Sauber has confirmed it will ditch year-old Ferrari engines for a Honda customer supply from the 2018 Formula 1 season.

    McLaren has had an exclusive works deal with Honda since the Japanese manufacturer returned to F1 for 2015, so Sauber will become its first customer of the V6 hybrid turbo era.

    Sauber is in a rebuilding phase following a change of ownership last summer, and is using uncompetitive 2016 Ferrari engines this season.

    The Swiss team has been in advanced talks with Honda since March about a deal, and has now confirmed Honda will become its technical partner.

    The new tie up with Honda will end Sauber's association with Ferrari, which stretches back to 2010 following BMW's withdrawal from F1.

    "It is a great honour for Sauber to be able to work together with Honda in the coming seasons," said Sauber team boss Monisha Kaltenborn.

    "Our realignment is not just visible through the new ownership, but also now with our new technological partnership with Honda.

    "We very much look forward to our partnership with Honda, which sets the course for a successful future - from a strategic as well as from a technological perspective.

    "We thank Honda for making this great partnership happen."

    Honda has endured a troubled time since it came back to F1, and this year has spoken regularly about the potential benefit of supplying more teams in the interest of accelerating development of its recalcitrant engine.

    Katsuhide Moriyama, Honda's chief officers for brand a communication operations, said: "In addition to the partnership with McLaren, Honda will begin supplying power units to Sauber as a customer team starting from next year.

    "This will be a new challenge in Honda's F1 activities.

    "In order to leverage the benefits of supplying to two teams to the maximum extent, we will strengthen the systems and capabilities of both of our two development operations, namely HRD Sakura and the operation in Milton Keynes.

    "We will continue our challenges so that our fans will enjoy seeing a Honda with dominant strength as soon as possible."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report...-deal-for-2018
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    1,082
    "Sauber is in a rebuilding phase following a change of ownership last summer, and is using uncompetitive 2016 Ferrari engines this season".
    Lol what a joke, what do they think they r gonna get next year??? It will b an absolute miracle if the 2018 Honda engine will b as good as the 2017 Ferrari
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by dfunk257 View Post
    "Sauber is in a rebuilding phase following a change of ownership last summer, and is using uncompetitive 2016 Ferrari engines this season".
    Lol what a joke, what do they think they r gonna get next year??? It will b an absolute miracle if the 2018 Honda engine will b as good as the 2017 Ferrari
    Yeah but Honda has a potential to improve. On the other hand, they will always get last year's engines from Ferrari. A completely logical decision by Sauber considering their financial situation.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,760
    Sauber-Honda deal in tatters per Auto-Bild due to Monisha exit.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bulvania
    Posts
    2,660
    I think no motor supplier for 2018 is about the same as having a deal with Honda.

    http://www.autobild.de/artikel/forme...-11322223.html

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Sauber-Honda deal in tatters per Auto-Bild due to Monisha exit.
    The begininng of the end for honda in f1 imo sauber should get Ferrari 2018 engine the more testing miles the better

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    I think no motor supplier for 2018 is about the same as having a deal with Honda.

    http://www.autobild.de/artikel/forme...-11322223.html
    True but how about surviving as in Honda pumps money into Sauber?? The Honda PU maybe a piece a crap for the moment but Sauber needs the money.

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    The begininng of the end for honda in f1 imo sauber should get Ferrari 2018 engine the more testing miles the better
    I would agree putting a Ferrari PU in a Sauber but is Ferrari going to pay for the engines?? Sponsorship??? how about half of the employee's salaries???

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    I would agree putting a Ferrari PU in a Sauber but is Ferrari going to pay for the engines?? Sponsorship??? how about half of the employee's salaries???
    didn't sauber get taken over by some Swedish company recently and I'm sure ferrari can afford to offer sauber engines at half price

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    didn't sauber get taken over by some Swedish company recently and I'm sure ferrari can afford to offer sauber engines at half price
    well, I don't want to see them go and end up like caterham, Manor, HRT and hope this Swedish company has deep pockets....fingers crossed.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    well, I don't want to see them go and end up like caterham, Manor, HRT and hope this Swedish company has deep pockets....fingers crossed.
    The cheaper engines in 2020 should help them if they can survive until then. Its a shame Honda left them tho it could have been another bmw sauber period but i cant see honda staying in F1 much longer wouldn't be surprise if this is there last year

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,613
    The question is whether the amount of money they get from Honda is greater than the money they get from the points they score. I can't possibly see them winning any points next year with Honda, as McLaren should be consistently better if they procure a power unit from any other manufacturer.

    FORZA FERRARI!
    Tous avec Jules #17

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    The question is whether the amount of money they get from Honda is greater than the money they get from the points they score. I can't possibly see them winning any points next year with Honda, as McLaren should be consistently better if they procure a power unit from any other manufacturer.
    Well Vandoorne did finish in 12th in Austria and Alonso got hit by Kyvat.

    In Baku, Alonso finished 9th and Vandoorne 12th

    So this might be the turn around from Honda.....as far as finishing a race. Power is still down.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stowmarket. U.K
    Posts
    16,811
    Sauber Honda engine deal off, claim sources
    14 minutes ago

    Sauber's deal to run Honda engines in Formula 1 next season has been called off, according to multiple sources.

    Reports emerging from Germany on Tuesday had suggested that the Japanese manufacturer had cancelled the deal, in the wake of the departure of team principal Monisha Kaltenborn.

    However, sources with good knowledge of the situation have indicated matters are slightly different, and that the contract between Sauber and Honda that was announced earlier this year was never officially completed and activated.

    That has led to a situation where Sauber's owners have in recent days decided that they would now prefer to look elsewhere for a power unit for 2018, so the Honda deal will not happen.

    When asked for a response to the situation, a Honda spokesperson said: "This is purely media speculation, and we do not comment on speculation. Honda's relationship with Sauber has not changed."

    Different opinions

    The Honda deal had been put together by Kaltenborn, who left the team shortly before the Azerbaijan GP.

    At the time Pascal Picci, chairman of Sauber owners Longbow Finance, said that Kaltenborn's departure was "by mutual consent and due to diverging views of the future of the company".

    It is believed that a disagreement over the Honda deal was one of the reasons behind Kaltenborn's sudden departure. In effect, the new owners decided that the team could not afford to be uncompetitive next season, and that it had to focus on getting a decent engine.

    The team has already faced a struggle for form in 2017 after Kaltenborn committed it to running year-old Ferrari engines, which are not being developed.

    Picci was unavailable for comment.

    2017 options

    It's not yet clear what route the Swiss outfit will take now.

    While extending its long-time deal with Ferrari is the most obvious option, it's understood that might not be so straightforward, in part because McLaren has emerged as a surprise contender for a second customer supply deal alongside Haas.

    McLaren had been widely tipped to secure Mercedes engines if its split with Honda went ahead, but there is now understood to be a chance of an alliance with Ferrari.

    With Mercedes open to supplying an extra customer deal next deal, if McLaren does go down the Ferrari route then the German car manufacturer could do a deal with Sauber, especially since the Swiss team currently runs junior Pascal Wehrlein.

    Renault Sport's Cyril Abiteboul recently confirmed that the French manufacturer is able to supply another team in 2018.

    However, one source has suggested that the expected announcement of former Renault F1 team boss Fred Vasseur as the new team principal at Sauber could derail any deal, in the wake of the Frenchman's departure from the Enstone camp at the end of last season.

    It remains to be seen what impact the collapse of the Sauber deal will have on Honda's wider plans.

    On the one hand it guaranteed a presence in the 2018 field even if there was a split with McLaren, allowing Honda to continue to develop its power unit in racing conditions.

    On the other hand it would have meant that Honda could not make a clean break from F1 by ending its deal with McLaren, or take a 'sabbatical' and spend a season or two developing its engine away from the spotlight of a racing season.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

  16. #46
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    57
    This is all bad timing. With Marchione poised to leave Ferrari, his ability to enforce a Alfa Romeo engine supply may be compromised.

    I do really think if Alfa is to step in the future. This is a real opportunity to do so. Get Sauber back under the Alfa badge and offer McLaren the same, retain Haas and vallah! Ferrari have 4 proxy votes for the new negotiations rather than two of Ferrari and Haas.

    Politics is more important than determining the constructors title than anything else, just look at Mercedes.

    With Ferrari have a much larger backing Liberty will have to compromise their strategic plans, rather than see 8 cars engine less.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,760
    Quote Originally Posted by kshitijmalkan View Post
    This is all bad timing. With Marchione poised to leave Ferrari, his ability to enforce a Alfa Romeo engine supply may be compromised.

    I do really think if Alfa is to step in the future. This is a real opportunity to do so. Get Sauber back under the Alfa badge and offer McLaren the same, retain Haas and vallah! Ferrari have 4 proxy votes for the new negotiations rather than two of Ferrari and Haas.

    Politics is more important than determining the constructors title than anything else, just look at Mercedes.

    With Ferrari have a much larger backing Liberty will have to compromise their strategic plans, rather than see 8 cars engine less.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like it already!! Yeah...what he said!

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.A
    Posts
    4,612
    Quote Originally Posted by kshitijmalkan View Post
    This is all bad timing. With Marchione poised to leave Ferrari, his ability to enforce a Alfa Romeo engine supply may be compromised.

    I do really think if Alfa is to step in the future. This is a real opportunity to do so. Get Sauber back under the Alfa badge and offer McLaren the same, retain Haas and vallah! Ferrari have 4 proxy votes for the new negotiations rather than two of Ferrari and Haas.

    Politics is more important than determining the constructors title than anything else, just look at Mercedes.

    With Ferrari have a much larger backing Liberty will have to compromise their strategic plans, rather than see 8 cars engine less.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    please happen

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,760
    We(Sauber) are pleased to announce that a multi-year agreement with @ScuderiaFerrari as our engine supplier has been signed

  20. #50
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Prague - CZ
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    We(Sauber) are pleased to announce that a multi-year agreement with @ScuderiaFerrari as our engine supplier has been signed
    Yep, well done Scuderia

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    We(Sauber) are pleased to announce that a multi-year agreement with @ScuderiaFerrari as our engine supplier has been signed
    Also it will be newer engines for them for cheap price.
    That's good for both parties.
    Leclerc will get sauber seat next season.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,760
    Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Also it will be newer engines for them for cheap price.
    That's good for both parties.
    Leclerc will get sauber seat next season.
    that looks to be the deal....Ferrari engines plus Leclerc

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    that looks to be the deal....Ferrari engines plus Leclerc
    Ferrari should give opportunities to these young drivers.
    Just like RB & mercs promoting them

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Ferrari should give opportunities to these young drivers.
    Just like RB & mercs promoting them
    Sure, but let Leclerc develop and improve in Sauber for at least one year. RB didn't put Seb, Ric or Max in a Red Bull the first year. They all started in TR.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Sure, but let Leclerc develop and improve in Sauber for at least one year. RB didn't put Seb, Ric or Max in a Red Bull the first year. They all started in TR.
    +1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •