Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Russian GP 2017 - Race Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hakanabi View Post
    Yes, but it's a long season and Bottas is indeed championship contender this year and no one seems to count him.
    If he's a contender that's not too bad for us since now after his win, he "has proven" himself. He will take points away from Hamilton..
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Analysis On 4 races which held so far.

1) Aus GP: Vet Win
    Quali : It showed Ferrari are right there with Mercs Over one lap, but not quite close enough.
    Race: Start wasn't excellent, vettel held his position. Ferrari had superb race pace, he was able to follow Ham closely & when it mattered strategy came into the play as degradation was high Mercs were the team who suffered.
    Tyres: Ferrari had edge on SS over mercs.

2) China GP: Ham Win
    Quali: Again ferrari proved they are close to mercs where the conditions were cool.
    Race: Again it wasn't excellent start, vet though maintained the same pace & be right behind mercs for undercut. Strategy call was excellent untill late SC came & removed the advantage. But still race pace compared to Mercs was good.
    Tyres: Ferrari had edge on Softs over mercs & degradation wasn't high.

3) Bahrain GP: Vet Win
    Quali: There was some upgrade related to cooling & front wing, everyone thought ferrari might be even closer to mercs.
    But due to technical glitch & safer side. ferrari made the car set up for race pace so that they can undercut Mercs where degradation is high.
    Race: Start was good as vet took bottas. Then throguh excellent strategy, ferrari able to undercut mercs even with SC out. It was vet's 3 lap initial pace on SS tyres where he overtook perez etc....& was able to lead that race. Else might have been again disaster.
    Tyres: Ferrari were faster on SS over mercs. On soft tyres ham had superb pace compared to vet, but few think vet is managing the race pace. As he was able to respond to ham lap times.

4) Russian GP: Bottas win
    Quali: First time we saw US, as from the past its known that mercs suffer on US. So there was genuine threat to their pole position. Ferrari has extracted much from US compared to Mercs. This lead to ferrari's First front row lock out after 2008.
    At the same Vet engineer was saying Car was set-up for the race. So few might think, there was much more to come if its quali mode. Kimi too did excellent job statying up behind Vet.
    Race: Everyone expected Vet to lead the race due to ferrari excellent starts in the past. But off late their race starts were not good, either loosing couple of positions or maintaining their positions this has been the picture in 4 races we have seen so far.Everyone thought even if Vet looses position, they can undercut ferrari when they come for pit. On the technical side, vet & bottas are on clean side of the grid where as Ham & Kimi on Dirty side. so there is potential advantage for Vet & bottas. During quali it was seen that Vet was carrying more downforce by sacrificing straight line speed later which did cost him alot in the race. Pace on US was not good too either compared to Bottas. There was some analysis where, Race was started on Q2 set of tyres US where bottas had already generated enough heat into the tyres, where Vet struggled initially has was unknown there is another extra formation lap. where he didn't find much grip to punch down the straight.
    One good point to note is, Ferrari had Long stint on US earlier it used to be around 10-15laps but from this year we are seeing 30Laps stint with good pace. Again strategy call was good, but if the pit crew would have been more efficient then picture would have been different.
    Tyres: Ferrari had edge over Mercs on SS. Mercs has Edge over US tyres initially.

5) Spain GP: Vet win
    analysis continues..........

overall on SS tyres in any conditions ferrari has excellent Race pace over mercs.
    Last edited by nani_s23; 1st May 2017 at 09:51.

Tyre Choices for next races

Spanish GP: Super softs, Softs, Medium Compounds
    Monaco GP: Ultra soft, Super soft, Softs
    Canadian GP: US, SS, S
    Baku : SS, S, M

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Tyre Choices for next races

Spanish GP: Super softs, Softs, Medium Compounds
    Monaco GP: Ultra soft, Super soft, Softs
    Canadian GP: US, SS, S
    Baku : SS, S, M
    In Monaco the US mght be able to do the whole race if a safety car comes out lap 1.
    Im feeling confident for Canada for some reason as that is a tyre eating track and we have the softest tyres there

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    In Monaco the US mght be able to do the whole race if a safety car comes out lap 1.
    Im feeling confident for Canada for some reason as that is a tyre eating track and we have the softest tyres there
    Next 3 tracks should be favourable to us & we will be competitive for win (Going by tyre allocation & strategy also ferrari need to have good starts).

Under normal Track (sochi contains different asphalt) i see mercs struggling on US similar to Ham struggle yest. Even mercs were shocked by Bottas pace on US. So its an unknown territory for them.
    We can say it's bottas track, he found the sweet spot & maintained it.

Be careful what you wish for Vettel:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...-fight-900683/

Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post

I don't mind RBR fighting Merc for the third step on the podium as long as the Ferrari men are on the top two steps lol

Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post

May be he's keen in return to RB . if he doesn't win with ferrari.

Mildly disappointed but compared to last season think we can be happy about how this one is progressing. WCC is as important as WDC, hope Kimi maintains this form throughout the year.

Good job from the team, it was always going to be a risky start :). We will get them next time no problem. And congrats to Valteri i think he is a nice guy like all finns, minding his own business and no bs with him , just like our kimster.
    https://youtu.be/hZH9ShOYl0k

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Just to see where we are after such a horrible last year. I'm more than happy to be fighting for wins every race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiklub View Post
    Just to see where we are after such a horrible last year. I'm more than happy to be fighting for wins every race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May be he's keen in return to RB . if he doesn't win with ferrari.
    exactly what i wsa going to say.....also rumours have it that he was seen in the Red Bull garage talking to Horner this past weekend....so who knows, he may split next year if he dont' win a WDC this season
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Seb apparently said that the wind was blowing against him at the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    exactly what i wsa going to say.....also rumours have it that he was seen in the Red Bull garage talking to Horner this past weekend....so who knows, he may split next year if he dont' win a WDC this season
    That means Alonso coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post

oh, no....i hope not
    he's a great driver, but i just can't get over how muhc he criticised the team while there by not giving him a faster car....now that the Ferrari is fighting for wins, OF COURSE he'd like to come back

or he may be going to Mercedes...who knows
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

I don't think neither he will come back nor Ferrari gonna consider him.
    I expect daniel Ric at Ferrari that's for sure, if seb is gonna leave.
    Else it will be perez or hulk or grosjean at other end when kimi retires.
    Two no.1 drivers at same team & that too at Ferrari i don't see it happening when seb is there.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    oh, no....i hope not
    he's a great driver, but i just can't get over how muhc he criticised the team while there by not giving him a faster car....now that the Ferrari is fighting for wins, OF COURSE he'd like to come back

or he may be going to Mercedes...who knows
    If Renault is in good position of scoring points consistently he will go there. Then RB will have disadvantage, they will not supply full power to them if Renault is in a position where they can out qualify RB.

Great job by the team all around! A little better start, a few tenths less time spent in the pits & who knows?
    Bottas seemed pretty confident & determined. Once he got in the lead, did enough things right to earn the win - big congrats to him on his first F1 win.
    Did I miss something & the silly season has already started? I like all the speculation, just not at this point in the season. Like Shumiklub said, good to be watching them fighting at the front. Been waiting a long time for them to be this competitive, not going to miss any of it worrying about what driver talked to who.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Super effort from the team, and a great result even though SV lost out on the win.
    Doubt he would have passed Bottas even if Massa had not existed.
    In terms of pace we are beginning to look like we are actually faster than the mercs; race or qualifying (i never thought i would say this)

One more "off" day for hamilton and Bottas would be level on points and Merc will not be able to hand out favourites. Will make Sebs job even easier.
    Silently, like a shadow

Best thing about this race ?? https://youtu.be/LU479R4jQl0

Else it will be perez or hulk or grosjean at other end when kimi retires.
    Crashjean? seriously?

Grosjean is not really a competitive driver at the moment. If Seb leaves, i think we shouldn't consider Ricciardo because he is being outperformed by young Max atm. Maybe if he improves his performance in the upcoming races he can be put under consideration. If Seb leaves, we need to replace him with another driver of the same caliber. That leaves Alonso or Lewis, but i know 90% of Ferrari fans dislike him so i don't think there's a great chance he can be signed.

Not sure you can say 90% of Ferrari fans dislike Lewis, based on what?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Not sure you can say 90% of Ferrari fans dislike Lewis, based on what?
    I didn't meant that literally, it was more a figure of speech. More than half of the people on this forum dislike Lewis though.

I didn't meant that literally, it was more a figure of speech. More than half of the people on this forum dislike Lewis though.
    Just like they disliked Seb and Alonso before him but you can't just say half this forum dislikes him either lol
    Forza Ferrari

I admire his ability as a driver and don't dispute his speed or talent, but I find his image and demeanour quite irritating, so on a personal level I'd like him to stay away from the Scuderia!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1JzAk6XyCrQ

Friendly finger

First comment in video :

You don't have problems with lapped cars if you are the lapped car. McLaren, 2017-2014��
    Last edited by Madobo; 2nd May 2017 at 17:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Just like they disliked Seb and Alonso before him but you can't just say half this forum dislikes him either lol
    Maybe we should make a survey thread

Valtteri Bottas Race Start - Russian GP 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfP6gxXQywM

VB has a better start than both SV and KR....he takes the slipstream of Vettels car and uses it to his advantage. Vettel had an okay start but bogged down on it slightly.