Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seb To Mercedes Next Year?!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Insanely good driver, but will red suit him though?
    Is Lewis "insanely a good driver" or is it the W05, W06, W07, W08 insanely that good. I would venture to say you put the top 7 drivers(minus LH) in the current W08 and they would be an "insanely good driver." F1 is a team sport hence the radio he gets about strategy and tyre selection as at times he questions it. No doubt, LH is a good driver...talented???? eeeehhhh....he has some talent....but its not stellar when you compare him in his youth to F1 compared to Verstappen.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    I'd have Lewis and Seb as the dream team, would Ferrari allow all the special edition caps as well?! And the amount of our of F1 stuff he does ...
    Would not work....two big ego's and Spain 2016 or Prost and Senna would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Is Lewis "insanely a good driver" or is it the W05, W06, W07, W08 insanely that good. I would venture to say you put the top 7 drivers(minus LH) in the current W08 and they would be an "insanely good driver." F1 is a team sport hence the radio he gets about strategy and tyre selection as at times he questions it. No doubt, LH is a good driver...talented???? eeeehhhh....he has some talent....but its not stellar when you compare him in his youth to F1 compared to Verstappen.

Would not work....two big ego's and Spain 2016 or Prost and Senna would happen.
    Lewis Hamilton has won a race in every season he's competed in, and beaten his teammates in all but 2, and the only teammate who was a push over was Heikki Kovalainen... he's incredibly talented and wouldn't be where he was today if he wasn't... Even when the McLaren wasn't quick he still got race wins, but your comment can also be the same towards Schumacher during the immense Ferrrai era... stick anyone else in those cars and they'd win.

Lewis Hamilton has won a race in every season he's competed in, and beaten his teammates in all but 2, and the only teammate who was a push over was Heikki Kovalainen... he's incredibly talented and wouldn't be where he was today if he wasn't... Even when the McLaren wasn't quick he still got race wins, but your comment can also be the same towards Schumacher during the immense Ferrrai era... stick anyone else in those cars and they'd win.
    He had three team mates that were good: Alonso, Button and Rosberg. He might have been better than the last two (although one can argue with Button already) but he did never dominate them..People say he won a race in every year of his F1 career but apart from Heiki in 2009 every of his team mate did win in the same year as well, so he did nothing the other was not able to do as well. This takes nothing away from him but does not sound like he is head an shoulders above the rest.

He had three team mates that were good: Alonso, Button and Rosberg. He might have been better than the last two (although one can argue with Button already) but he did never dominate them..People say he won a race in every year of his F1 career but apart from Heiki in 2009 every of his team mate did win in the same year as well, so he did nothing the other was not able to do as well. This takes nothing away from him but does not sound like he is head an shoulders above the rest.
    Would you say the same about Vettel? Or isn't he talented? Stick anyone in those Red Bulls in his dominance years and they'd smash it

Would you say the same about Vettel? Or isn't he talented? Stick anyone in those Red Bulls in his dominance years and they'd smash it
    Vettel is the most knowlegable and talented driver on the grid....next to Alonso if I may add. He puts in the time with his car regardless of what team it is. For example, during FP3 I believe, he got team orders to bring the car in.....did he?....no...he did the engine default in his car and ignored team orders. He comes in early and stays late. Anytime there is practice, he welcomes it. Lewis shrugs it off, he feels its a waste of time. Not just that but you constantly see Vettel arriving and leaving at airports signing autographs for the fans.....all this no matter what team he is on.

Also in 2008(2nd yr) with STR, Vettel scored 35pts of the teams 39pts...which was a backmarker team then and still is today. Lewis never came from a backmarker team.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 15th May 2017 at 17:48.

I think that if Vettel goes to Mercedes next year, Hamilton will come to Ferrari.

I'd rather Ham went back to Mclaren.

I think the beast in Vettel has been exhumed by this year's Ferrari. Hasn't finished less than 2nd so far, has won 2 races, and has pushed his opponents hard to the very end when he hasn't won. Last year, we saw lots of mistakes from Vettel - not all his own fault, but this year he is really on it, and Lewis knows that and appreciates the fight. This is F1 at its very best, which is reigniting interest in the sport that was on its knees last year - no longer do we hear the moans about the lack of noise because the races are now doing the talking for the sport. And to top it off, no longer are we seeing leftist attitudes by the race stewards who were too eager to penalise racers for racing and making innocent errors - they are now allowed to push their opponents hard, as long as it's fair and not idiotically reckless. Maybe it's time to stop tinkering with the rules and to allow the sport to evolve with its new journey.
    Last edited by From Treviso; 16th May 2017 at 07:44.

Lewis is a very fierce opponent, no doubt about that. He manages to prevail way more often than not. Whether he is better than Seb, that's debatable and this year will most probably answer that question i part. I think Seb has grown A LOT as a driver and he is now on a different level than his Red Bull days when winning championships in a row. However, no doubt that Lewis is great as well. His skills deserve a seat in Ferrari, but i don't know if the team's culture and fans will suit him.

Quote Originally Posted by From Treviso View Post
    I think the beast in Vettel has been exhumed by this year's Ferrari. Hasn't finished less than 2nd so far, has won 2 races, and has pushed his opponents hard to the very end when he hasn't won. Last year, we saw lots of mistakes from Vettel - not all his own fault, but this year he is really on it, and Lewis knows that and appreciates the fight. This is F1 at its very best, which is reigniting interest in the sport that was on its knees last year - no longer do we hear the moans about the lack of noise because the races are now doing the talking for the sport. And to top it off, no longer are we seeing leftist attitudes by the race stewards who where too eager to penalise racers for racing and making innocent errors - they are now allowed to push their opponents hard, as long as it's fair and not idiotically reckless. Maybe it's time to stop tinkering with the rules and to allow the sport to evolve with its new journey.
    Agree with everything here! This is what I want to say when people moan about Ferrari coming second. It's bigger than that. It's worth a second for an amazing fight, and a tense hard-fought championship.

On the topic of the thread though, I don't want Seb to leave Ferrari. It's the perfect match.

I don't think Ferrari would suit Ham. If he came, he would expect a fast car, and if it's not up to speed, I can see him sulking, a bit like Alonso.
    As for this year's championship, it's very close right now but I have a feeling it will be less tight come the end of the season. I think either team will win the development race, and start to dominate at some point, but I could be completely wrong lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    I don't think Ferrari would suit Ham. If he came, he would expect a fast car, and if it's not up to speed, I can see him sulking, a bit like Alonso.
    As for this year's championship, it's very close right now but I have a feeling it will be less tight come the end of the season. I think either team will win the development race, and start to dominate at some point, but I could be completely wrong lol.
    I think we could see one team run away with it come Monaco... Then we'll fully know by Canada who will win the championship

Looking at the stats, Vet has only won once in Monaco, slightly surprised at that.

Looking at the stats, Vet has only won once in Monaco, slightly surprised at that.
    2011 wasn't it? The year where Alonso was proper close but then the red flag came out and they were all able to switch tyres freely if I remember correctly ?

yes, 2011.

WILL NEVER HAPPEN. He put too much effort and emotions into this team to leave them now. He knows better

well hopefully the boat of a car Merc developed this year wont be able to get around Monaco too easily leaving the door open for Ferrari to out-qualify them... if that doesn't happen, it will just be a procession until the end sadly....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    well hopefully the boat of a car Merc developed this year wont be able to get around Monaco too easily leaving the door open for Ferrari to out-qualify them... if that doesn't happen, it will just be a procession until the end sadly....
    Even strting 2nd will be ok... Vettel seems quite quick of the line... and this time it'll be difficult for someone to pass him!

Agents need to get teams to battle it out for their drivers and crank up the wages and there cut. I would take it with a pinch of salt and am not concerned at all

No. I don't think you can say much about Schumacher. He's proved so many countless times that he was better than the rest and so many times he was much better than the car he drove.
    I can't say that about hamilton. I can say it about Alonso and Vettel. They both did great things with mediocre cars (Minardi and Toro Rosso).

The differences i see between Vettel and Hamilton.. now this is just my view from media and such as I don't know either personally.

Vettel is a 'what can i do to make me and my car faster kind of guy', Hamiton seems more of a 'make the car faster, then call me' kind of guy. Just the different attitudes towards tire testing shows how different they are. I like the hard word approach, like someone else mentioned, very much like Schumacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    No. I don't think you can say much about Schumacher. He's proved so many countless times that he was better than the rest and so many times he was much better than the car he drove.
    I can't say that about hamilton. I can say it about Alonso and Vettel. They both did great things with mediocre cars (Minardi and Toro Rosso).

The differences i see between Vettel and Hamilton.. now this is just my view from media and such as I don't know either personally.

Vettel is a 'what can i do to make me and my car faster kind of guy', Hamiton seems more of a 'make the car faster, then call me' kind of guy. Just the different attitudes towards tire testing shows how different they are. I like the hard word approach, like someone else mentioned, very much like Schumacher.

what he said.......

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post

I still dislike Seb, something bourne out of watching 5 years of finger waving when we were struggling (the Alonso era). But i agree with the above post. Seb is perhaps a more thinking driver than lewis is. Lewis plays mind games and politics, which i dont think Seb does. Looks like a very straight forward guy.
    That said, given equal cars, i dont think we will be able to separate the two. Both are crazy fast in qualifying and both can be relentless in the race, pushing the limit every lap. Neither give up, no matter what their position is in the race and both are ruthless (seb a bit more so and both nothing compared to Schumi) when going wheel to wheel.

Its just their personalities that separate them. Seb is a proper "race car driver". Lewis is a race car driver-cum-rockstar-cum-hiphop artist-etc etc etc...
    All depends on what kind you think is cool.
    Silently, like a shadow

Waving your #1 finger was proper at the time , I suppose. Lewis listening to hip hop in the cockpit and wearing heavy chains while driving and still looking like he will break many F1 records while being cool defininately seems to be the way to go. It's not just the car, it's the music!!

The only reason I have Vettel below both Hamilton and Alonso is that he has never beaten a notable driver in the same car. The other 2 have done well against other world champion material. The only potential world champion in his prime Vettel has faced is Ricciardo and he didn't come out looking too good. Who knows, maybe the Ferrari in Ricciardo's hands would have a clearly superior qualifying pace than the Merc. Just speculating here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrasher View Post
    The only reason I have Vettel below both Hamilton and Alonso is that he has never beaten a notable driver in the same car. The other 2 have done well against other world champion material. The only potential world champion in his prime Vettel has faced is Ricciardo and he didn't come out looking too good. Who knows, maybe the Ferrari in Ricciardo's hands would have a clearly superior qualifying pace than the Merc. Just speculating here!
    You're right, he beat Alonso and Button, two former champions, oh and Rosberg, last year he would have won if it wasn't for Malaysia, see I actually rate Vettel on par with Hamilton, he has shown why he's the best, I just don't understand the people who don't think Hamilton is good!!

You're right, he beat Alonso and Button, two former champions, oh and Rosberg, last year he would have won if it wasn't for Malaysia, see I actually rate Vettel on par with Hamilton, he has shown why he's the best, I just don't understand the people who don't think Hamilton is good!!
    Hamilton is good.....he's not great though. The thing is, when an F1 driver comes from a backmarker team and puts pts on the WDC or if both drivers are "talented" and put pts in both WDC AND WCC....it really says something about the driver and/or drivers about their talent in a BACKMARKER CAR. Lewis never started from a backmarker team compared to Alonso(Minardi) and Vettel (STR)....soooo it says something about the latter 2 when it comes to taking a mediocre car and they start putting pts.

Not comparing the two but look at Stroll. Dad is a billionaire: 1.) the kid has a $30k sim in his house 2. Has won races in F2 and F3 (correct me on this if I am wrong) 3. Dad bought a seat for his son in Williams and paid tens of millions.....would you say right off the bat he is a talented driver....NO. Its his first year and he is struggling...bad.... in a middle tier F1 team. His dad did him a dis-service instead of starting him from a backmarker team...like Sauber or STR. Plus he is racing against his team-mate...an ex-retired and aging F1 driver and Stroll cannot keep up with him...let alone beat him, so Massa has to "tit-nurse" this kid!!!! REALLY????

There are many drivers way more talented than Stroll...but, for lack of a better word, its all about MONEY and he and his dad squeezed out drivers like Latifi, Gasly, Leclerc and so on.

Now look at some of these drivers who have shown consistency and put pts for backmarker teams.....Perez, Hulk, Ocon....they have talent. Put them in a SF70-H or W08...give them some winter testing in them....watch what happens.

I'm glad Valterri "Bad-Ass" got the spot, cuz he got a taste of a GP win which boosts his confidence and puts LH on the hot seat to perform this year....and all the Ham-fosi out there, who really really have some understanding of F1, will think twice of LH "talented-driving skill."

I don't think a driver NEEDS to drive a backmarker team to be considered a great driver, and it does not really dilute a drivers talent if they drive the best cars and win races and titles.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I don't think a driver NEEDS to drive a backmarker team to be considered a great driver, and it does not really dilute a drivers talent if they drive the best cars and win races and titles.
    If your lucky like Hamilton and your at the right place and right time and your in the "fastest, most dominant and reliable car"...statistically it makes him a great driver. Whether he has talent to the degree of the likes of Alonso and Vettel....IMHO, no.

The only exception to your quote given the current drivers on the grid 2017.....Verstappen. He has an awareness for the track for his age. He has talent for his age. He is a phenom for his age. And he is on a different level in the rain...he rises above everyone else.

If your lucky like Hamilton and your at the right place and right time and your in the "fastest, most dominant and reliable car"...statistically it makes him a great driver. Whether he has talent to the degree of the likes of Alonso and Vettel....IMHO, no.
    McLaren was not always the fastest and dominant and he still done pretty well. But you can off course say Alonso and Seb are better, but I don't believe they are better cause they drove a backmarker car. Lewis was pretty much a stand out in racing before F1, I would rate Alonso better than anyone on the grid but after that the likes of Lewis, Seb, Max are all pretty much going to do a good job if you have the car.
    Forza Ferrari

Besides, Lewis as a rookie managed to defeat the great Alonso as a teammate. Now, i don't know if that was because McLaren was against Alonso or something.