Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4151617181920212223242526272829

Thread: Spain GP 2017 - Practice and qualifying thread

Quote Originally Posted by icedeepan View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised if that was the case. Level of downforce, understeer/oversteer levels all impact the lines drivers take through a corner. If it is as simple as looking at a video and changing lines for a better lap time, I'm sure Vettel and Ferrari would know it in much greater detail than a tv broadcaster's video analysis.
    In fairness to the guy doing the analysis in the video, he actually makes valid and sensible points about how the Mercedes updates worked well and how the Mercedes was a lot quicker car through Sector 3. (Which was true for Bottas as well as for Hamilton) He's not claiming that Hamilton dragged a slower car to pole as KimiBot is doing.

That being said, none of this tells us anything which was not clear immediately after qualifying - that Ferrari were slightly quicker through the first two sectors in Spain and Mercedes was much quicker through the last sector.

Look at the sector times by driver over their two Q3 runs.

1st run
    2nd run
    HAM
    21.807 / 29.695 / 27.647 1:19.149
    21.730 / 29.537 / 27.907 1:19.174
    VET
    21.844 / 29.711 / 28.106 1:19.661
    21.626 / 29.440 / 28.134 1:19.200
    BOT
    21.847 / 29.543 / 28.000 1:19.390
    21.752 / 29.709 / 27.912 1:19.373
    RAI
    21.727 / 29.657 / 28.055 1:19.439
    21.616 / 29.810 / 28.168 1:19.594

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Hamster T3&4 , saving lots of time there, brilliant driving, slower car and still beating Seb
    Are you trolling?

I seem to remember you trying to tell us Australia was a fluke and Merc was the quickest car....now they are the slower car? S3 highlighted our slight weakness at the moment nothing more than that.
    Forza Ferrari

It looks like Seb could've gotten pole if not for that mistake but i think Hamilton would've won either way. They were more clever with strategy and Bottas' blocking did its thing.
    It looks like Mercedes are better with aero and Ferrari has a better PU. If this is the case, Monaco doesn't look very good for us...

So tyre choices for the Monaco GP are as follows:

1. Ultra Softs - purple banded
    2. Super Softs - Red banded
    3. Softs - Yellow banded

per Pirelli

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    So tyre choices for the Monaco GP are as follows:

1. Ultra Softs - purple banded
    2. Super Softs - Red banded
    3. Softs - Yellow banded

per Pirelli
    All tires are available, it's up to the drivers to choose. US is the favorite tire of course.

Vettel: 1 soft 2 supersoft 10 ultrasoft
    Raikkonen: 1 soft 2 supersoft 10 ultrasoft

Hamilton: 1 soft 3 supersoft 9 ultrasoft
    Bottas: 1 soft 3 supersoft 9 ultrasoft

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    There is no such thing as "best lines".
    I think that you are really believing what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    It looks like Seb could've gotten pole if not for that mistake but i think Hamilton would've won either way. They were more clever with strategy and Bottas' blocking did its thing.
    It looks like Mercedes are better with aero and Ferrari has a better PU. If this is the case, Monaco doesn't look very good for us...
    Nothing like that till Sochi. Ferrari had very good aero package. They went in the race with more down force than other teams. Result you can see it last sector s3. Way ahead of others.

What happened in barcelona is, Ferrari went with low downforce. S3 killed us.
    Also mercs upgrades worked well out of the box in the race. It didn't give them edge in quali, but in terms of tyre deg & handling the tyres they worked it out.
    Now it's gonna be battle of pit stop strategy & who brings the best package.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    So you don't believe Merc will be hampered by their longer wheelbase?

Hello guys i am new on this forum. Last week before the fridays practice session i wrote this.

S-M-S will be the wanted strategy, some of the guys might even try a 1 stop like S-M. In testing the Ferrari used a lot of medium tyres, so they have more information than the Mercedes. As we saw in Russia, the Ferrari is strong on every tyre. Mercedes is overheating the rear tyres when using the softest tyre. But last race they had a different problem with tyres getting up the right temperature. Ferrari will bring up some updates, that will be worth to about 0,2 per lap. Ferrari as a team is very quiet, and the Mercedes, RBR do all the talking. I think this is because they (Ferrari) are confident with their pace. I was given a information, that the Ferrari (I hope not just fake rumors and too good to be true) will be about 0,4s per lap faster in Q3 than the Mercedes, from one guy that has a friend that works in Maranello. Sector 2 in Barca should be very strong, but the most time will be gain compare to Mercedes in S3 (because of the shorter wheelbase and better traction). If we have no issues with the reliability, then I think we will be strong this weekend. But for now we need to keep our feet on the ground, and not expect a win. Anything is possible in f1. I would be happy if we have the same pace as we had in the last 4 races. The only thing I would improve is the start and a little bit better Q3 pace.

Well in the end I can say I was very wrong with that 0,4s gap to Mercedes. But until we reached that final sector 3 we had Mercedes covered by 0,3s. I think we should be in good shape for Monaco gp, because ferrari setup the car for high speed corners (low downforce setup in Barcelona, and thats why they were sliding a lot in S3 in qualy). In Sochi we had a high downforce setup, thats why we were losing time in part of S1 to the Mercedes, but we gain a lot of time there in that tight S3. I would say now, but I am speculating that we will have a 0,1-0,2s per lap advantage to the mercedes in Monaco Q3. Its all about downforce, traction there, so the teams will setup the car with max downforce. I still think that the Ferrari car has got the most downforce, and best grip in the corners. Mercedes is slightly behind with the car. This is of course just my opinion.
    Cheers guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    So you don't believe Merc will be hampered by their longer wheelbase?
    Oh yeah, the longer wheelbase. Almost forgot about that. Well, let's hope that will pose problems, which it might.

welcome Vettel165.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Who in your opinion has best lines in that video?
    Well it seems to me that at some points in the track, Vettel is ahead and takes some different lines so he must be quicker through that part of the track then hamilton. But you do realize that sometimes lines around a track are car limited. Some cars are better around some kinds of corners than other cars, just like some cars are faster in a straight line. Then we can also get into a driver's preference around a corner. Some like to turn in quicker and exit faster, some turn in later and exit later. I think there are many more different variables to turns than you realize.